Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ok, so I did pick up a Tab S3 and I'll give it a try for a few days to see if it's worth keeping over the Tab S2. The fact that I've gone to "try it out" rather than automatically returning the S2 8.0 tells you what you need to know about the experience.

The long and the short of it is UI smoothness is not what the should be on a $500 SD820 device.

On the flip side, dat display! The S2 8.0 is the same resolution, but the smaller size display is using a pentile arrangement whereas the 9.7 displays are not. So, they are sharper despite being larger. That's only part of the story though as the Tab S3 supports HDR. Watching Amazon content in HDR on this tablet is such a leap. I already own an HDR capable OLED TV, so getting that same level of quality on a tablet is very nice.

So, not an easy choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Huh; booted up my Tab 8.0 S2 tonight for the first time in a while and hey, the Nougat update is available! Upgrading now, going to be very happy to have these features if they all work properly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

smr posted:

Huh; booted up my Tab 8.0 S2 tonight for the first time in a while and hey, the Nougat update is available! Upgrading now, going to be very happy to have these features if they all work properly.

How about that. I just checked a few days ago and it wasn't out for the SD652 one yet.

Good timing. Now I can compare nougat on the S3 and the S2 before I make my decision on which to keep.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I bought one of the new Fire tablets and it should be arriving today. I understand it runs a special Amazon OS and so is not a "real" Android tablet but is it pretty close? I've only owned an iPad before so I'm not really familiar with the Android environment.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

My Twitter Account posted:

I bought one of the new Fire tablets and it should be arriving today. I understand it runs a special Amazon OS and so is not a "real" Android tablet but is it pretty close? I've only owned an iPad before so I'm not really familiar with the Android environment.

No, it isn't at all close to a normal Android tablet. Look into adding the Google Playstore, which I believe is easy, and into switching the launcher (like the springboard on iOS) to something like Nova Launcher, which I'm not sure is easy or not.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I have a spare Chuwi Hi8 that has a dual-boot Android 4.4 and windows 8
https://techtablets.com/chuwi-hi8/

This is kind of an odd use, but I would like to use it as an always-on monitor for an IP security camera. While keeping the camera feed on it seems to lose power at about 10% per hour while plugged in. Screen at minimum brightness.

Its plugged into an ipad charger (10W, 2.1A). Is it just a weak-rear end charging circuit in the tablet? Is this too much to ask of this tablet to display a camera feed over wifi without slowly dying?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jeff8472 posted:

Its plugged into an ipad charger (10W, 2.1A). Is it just a weak-rear end charging circuit in the tablet? Is this too much to ask of this tablet to display a camera feed over wifi without slowly dying?
edit: got confused when I googled and saw a newer model that uses USB-C. I assume yours doesn't have USB-C.

If it doesn't accept more than 500 mA over USB (which is common in older devices) then it doesn't matter what charger you use and yeah it'll probably slowly die while plugged in.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 9, 2017

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Yeah, its a couple years old. I tried an app called Ampere which reports charging anywhere from 200-400mA. Just not enough juice to keep screen and wifi going. It will charge with the screen on and the tablet basically idle. Wifi all the time kills the battery

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

jeff8472 posted:

Yeah, its a couple years old. I tried an app called Ampere which reports charging anywhere from 200-400mA. Just not enough juice to keep screen and wifi going. It will charge with the screen on and the tablet basically idle. Wifi all the time kills the battery

I have an old Nexus 10 that had a battery that could not keep a charge at all. Replaced it and it was super awesome feeling after that.

Try the app accubattery. It's neat in the way it figures out capacity after watching you charge it a handful of times.

It also has a notification pop up saying you hit 80% or something so you can disconnect it.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

Weirdly it will actually charge very slowly while streaming the camera view under windows 8. So problem solved. I had assumed android would be better than win8 for power management. Thanks for the input guys

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there anything I can do to breathe a last bit of performance into a Nexus 7 2013? All I can really think of it a factory reset and minimal app installation.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Hughmoris posted:

Is there anything I can do to breathe a last bit of performance into a Nexus 7 2013? All I can really think of it a factory reset and minimal app installation.

What are you trying to do with it? I'm still clinging to mine for lack of a suitable replacement, and it's still reasonable for what browsing and gaming I do on it. About the only major chugging I get is on certain other message boards when a thread gets a few thousand comments on one page.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Well I sold my Samsung A7. That took what, not even one page's worth of posts?

Actually I didn't "sell" it, but rather returned it to OfficeMax during my lunch break. It was a few days past their return period but they still took it so hey.

So even though I enjoyed the 7 inch form factor a lot, the problem is that I just never use my tablets. Its lower resolution and slightly laggy browsing experience sealed the deal when the rep told me I could get a complete refund if I took the item back (vs selling it on ebay for $80 or less). It was fun to play with but between my note 4, gaming PC, work laptop, 3DS, and PS4, it was getting absolutely no use.

Sure I could have used it to read books or watch netflix (as I had intended) but every single one of the other devices I listed already does Netflix, and reading on my phone is surprisingly alright vs having a dedicated device just for reading.

I think I'll snag a spare battery or two and a battery charger for my Note 4. It's the best android tablet I've ever owned simply by virtue of it fitting in my pocket and working identically to every tablet I have ever bought, except it's faster and has a stylus. Who knows though, I might buy a GPD XD for fun because the idea of a 3DS that runs android is ridiculously appealing.

That's my story thanks for listening! Android tablets are dead for a reason

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Sounds a lot like the Lenovo tablet that's in my backpack (and has been, untouched, for the past two months.)

At least it was only $80.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

delfin posted:

What are you trying to do with it? I'm still clinging to mine for lack of a suitable replacement, and it's still reasonable for what browsing and gaming I do on it. About the only major chugging I get is on certain other message boards when a thread gets a few thousand comments on one page.

Netflix and web mostly. Web browsing can be noticeably slow at this point that's not unexpected on a 4 year old tablet.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Sounds a lot like the Lenovo tablet that's in my backpack (and has been, untouched, for the past two months.)

At least it was only $80.

Yeah if I had literally no other device, sure it would do the trick for general use.

As-is it just had no niche to fill, web browsing in particular should not have been so sluggish

Related to Hughmoris's point but even 2 year old tablets have poo poo performance on current modern websites these days compared to a 5-6 year old computer, slow internet browsers is something I haven't had to endure in over a decade and it's just too much of a compromise

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Yeah if I had literally no other device, sure it would do the trick for general use.

As-is it just had no niche to fill, web browsing in particular should not have been so sluggish

Related to Hughmoris's point but even 2 year old tablets have poo poo performance on current modern websites these days compared to a 5-6 year old computer, slow internet browsers is something I haven't had to endure in over a decade and it's just too much of a compromise

Also touch browsing is so much worse than trackpad browsing that I can't imagine choosing to use a tablet when my MacBook's right there. When I had an Android tablet the only thing it ever got used for was playing games and that's rare for me. Now we've got an iPad Mini in the house and it hasn't been turned on in a year or more.

I get the feeling that the novelty has pretty much worn off for tablets and with the exception of my parents everyone would rather use a phone or a laptop.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

LastInLine posted:

Also touch browsing is so much worse than trackpad browsing that I can't imagine choosing to use a tablet when my MacBook's right there. When I had an Android tablet the only thing it ever got used for was playing games and that's rare for me. Now we've got an iPad Mini in the house and it hasn't been turned on in a year or more.

I get the feeling that the novelty has pretty much worn off for tablets and with the exception of my parents everyone would rather use a phone or a laptop.

The ~6" phablets pretty much killed off most of the mainstream appeal for tablets, and the latter isn't really that cheaper either when comparing apples-to-apples in HW specs.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The future for tablets IMO will be replacing laptops. I don't think we're ready to get away from the PC entirely.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Virtue posted:

The future for tablets IMO will be replacing laptops. I don't think we're ready to get away from the PC entirely.

Nah that battle has already happened and the laptop won. Tablets appeal was stuff like quiet operation, quick wake up, long battery life, light weight and laptops have got much better in all those areas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dissss posted:

Nah that battle has already happened and the laptop won.

I wouldn't say that while the Surface Pro is out there.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
So is the Surface Laptop now. Anyway I know of a few places that have gone from Surface Pros (and the HP and Lenovo clones) back to proper laptops - most of the time the traditional laptop form factor just works better.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

It's a shame since I quite like my Nvidia Shield. It's a great size for travelling with and covers all my browsing/email needs. I've got a slightly beefier laptop with a decent keyboard for when I have to travel and need to do actual work that is just way too big and heavy unless I definitely need to write reports or proposals or something. Even larger form tablets aren't really what I want and phablets are both too big for phone usage and too small to be comfortable using for extended periods. Maybe I'll get a K1 before they stop making them and just hold onto that.

I'd say part of the reason for the decline has also been the increasing availability for mobile apps or mobile designed sites. The extra screen real estate of a tablet isn't as necessary for comfortable web browsing anymore.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I like my tablet for bedside Netflix watching/browsing but (a) I don't have a laptop and (b) I could easily transition to using my phone for that if/when my tablet breathes its last.

I'm thinking if/when I replace it, it's more likely to be with one of those Android-capable Chromebooks if there are any that aren't terrible at that point than with another tablet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Palladium posted:

The ~6" phablets pretty much killed off most of the mainstream appeal for tablets, and the latter isn't really that cheaper either when comparing apples-to-apples in HW specs.

Yeah absolutely. Watching things, even reading a web page could be quite a bit annoying on the old 3.5 inch diagonal phone displays. 5-6 inches displays work a whole lot nicer for that.

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't say that while the Surface Pro is out there.

You mean that thing most people use with a keyboard and mouse or the "keyboard case" with a touchpad?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fishmech posted:

You mean that thing most people use with a keyboard and mouse or the "keyboard case" with a touchpad?

I find most people back and forth, which is entirely the point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Really? I'm not sure I've ever seen one being used without the keyboard. It would be interesting to see some actual data on the usage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I've been a surface pro 3 owner for 3 years and just got the new Surface Pro and I'm constantly changing between modes. If I'm just couch browsing I typically flip the keyboard under it to form a triangle which is very natural. If I'm reading something more long form, I collapse the kickstand and either fold the keyboard behind or remove it altogether.

The device was less useful on Windows 8, but since the Win 10 update, it works more naturally. SP3 had some battery life and performance concerns, but the Surface Pro has been solid as hell in the past week.

It's still an expensive toy though unless you use it as a main computer (and it's completely powerful enough to do so.)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
this is anecdotal but years ago I exclusively used my 2 in 1 asus t100 as a laptop when in public or at work, but definitely resorted to tablet mode when chilling at my apt by my lonesome

it was convenient and pretty neat, I'm willing to wager a lot of surface owners do use the tablet mode often enough given that it's one of the more elegant options

In general though laptops have become so compact and incredible lately, kinda feeling like it makes more sense to save up and buy a quality portable computer instead of toying around with tablets (though the surface certainly hits both marks on this, they are nice little gadgets)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

Netflix and web mostly. Web browsing can be noticeably slow at this point that's not unexpected on a 4 year old tablet.

I did a factory reset about a year ago, and only installed like 6 non system apps, and that's about the best performance you'll be able to get. I only ever have like 2 tabs open in chrome at a time, and modern stuff can still choke it up a bit. It's still usually give, but it is definitely still a 4 year old device. The biggest drawback at this point is no quick charging at all.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lenovo Tab 4 can now be pre-ordered from Amazon & Newegg. Maybe the 8+ & 10+ will be out by the end of summer?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kheldarn posted:

Lenovo Tab 4 can now be pre-ordered from Amazon & Newegg. Maybe the 8+ & 10+ will be out by the end of summer?

I actually purchased a Lenovo tab a210 for my mother a couple weeks ago for $159. I probably say it's on par with those current tablets but with the full HD IPS screen it's a much better buy in my opinion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't own a laptop (because of tablets) since 2012 when I got a Transformer TF201 wich was cool with the keyboard. Now I have a little bluetooth keoboard for my N7 2013 when I'm going to be a few days away from my desktop.

The only situation I see right now to buy a laptop again is if I get deployed somewhere so I can play PC games.

At home, I own a decent desktop, a ps4, a xbox360 my P9 and N7 2013 and I love my tablet for couch surfing or even watch netflix while my wife watches tv.

I've seen these lenovo tablets with that proyector thing and they look really cool but considering that Nokia is back at the smartphone market with stock Android and fast updates, who knows if they try to make new tablets too (I know about the N1 but wasn't great).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is Google completely out of the tablet game? I love my Pixel XL so much, and was thinking of dumping my Samsung Tab that moves at a snail's pace for their next tablet, but it looks like there's nothing on the agenda.

Which is fine, I'm also considering a Surface Pro, but just curious.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Medullah posted:

Is Google completely out of the tablet game? I love my Pixel XL so much, and was thinking of dumping my Samsung Tab that moves at a snail's pace for their next tablet, but it looks like there's nothing on the agenda.

Which is fine, I'm also considering a Surface Pro, but just curious.

Since Google has the attention span of an ADHD 4 year old even when they were making them, I guess not.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This is so Google.

quote:

there's a bug in the pin and pattern security locks on the Pixel C that the Google team has deemed "high priority" but that hasn't been fixed since January 2016. That's almost a year and a half, if you're counting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tablets are dead to Google.

Until they aren't again.

I think the pendulum is far from swinging in that direction yet though.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I would still buy a Pixel C if it was closer to $200.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JayKay posted:

I would still buy a Pixel C if it was closer to $200.

That still requires Google to care enough about tablets to run a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Further proof that 2:1 Chromebooks are where it's at.

https://chromeunboxed.com/new-chromebook-eve-gets-double-tap-function-like-the-pixel/

'Kevin' is barely released (Samsung Chromebook Plus/Pro) and Google is already working on a new flagship 'Eve' that seems to have some sort of double tap functionally and a fingerprint sensor.