Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

StandardVC10 posted:

There's a DLC gun made out of bicycle parts. Including the bell. Idle for long enough and ding!

I'm kinda annoyed that in the second game too many guns were... too well designed? Like, I preferred the Shambler when you couldn't access the lower chamber - it made it feel really slap-dash.

Also, you didn't get the fully-automatic shotgun in the campaign which was a travesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Away all Goats posted:

It's actually better since the UI was designed with a controller in mind

Yeah but counterpoint - no one uses the vanilla UI.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The developers for The Secret World, over the course of the game, gave people from various communities exclusive in-game t-shirts as a show of appreciation. Online radio stations, streamer communities, the people that set up a major help channel, all got shirts with their logo on them.

The Secret World Legends relaunch hit today, and now random pedestrian NPCs in the new hub zone can be seen wearing those community shirts.

EDIT: Also, they let older players import a bunch of their old cosmetics, so nothing they bought or earned through achievements in gone, which is already nice. But what's even better is that they didn't exclude the cosmetics that were removed from the store. So if you really liked that Borat mankini they had on sale for like three days (hi, Len) you can wear it in a whole new, much better game!

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Jun 24, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

The developers for The Secret World, over the course of the game, gave people from various communities exclusive in-game t-shirts as a show of appreciation. Online radio stations, streamer communities, the people that set up a major help channel, all got shirts with their logo on them.

The Secret World Legends relaunch hit today, and now random pedestrian NPCs in the new hub zone can be seen wearing those community shirts.

Too bad Secret World Legends wants my money more than a loving free to play Korean MMO.

Also I'm trying to get my vanity items and it's currently broken. So everything is par the course for Funcom

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

Too bad Secret World Legends wants my money more than a loving free to play Korean MMO.

Also I'm trying to get my vanity items and it's currently broken. So everything is par the course for Funcom

You're nothing if not reliable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

You're nothing if not reliable.

I'm trying it at least. Underneath this busted game there's a setting and story I love. I did figure out how to get my stuff though I had to close the game (which crashed to desktop like it's done since 2012) and turn it back on.

Now I'm a horseman again and the game is playable. Finally in kingsmouth proper now too so I can actually start the work towards getting to do quests in an order I choose

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just realised from a datalog that Horizon is a Metal Gear game. An early datalog implied that the machines were created by (speculation, just about to take the Ring of Metal with the Warchief)PMCs fighting amongst themselves for corporations for control of certain resources, as described in the Datalog that mentions Bolivia. Then something wiped everyone out; something that enough people saw coming to build the All Mother to save the civillian members of the species, and even 'celebrate' sardonically when it finally hit them; and the remaining machines went feral. If I read that wrong don't clarify, I want the plot to make itself clear organically, but that's what I'm taking from it so far.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah but counterpoint - no one uses the vanilla UI.

Seriously. Who even plays Skyrim on computer with the original UI? It's not that it's bad, just so very mediocre.

I couldn't imagine playing it without SkyUI.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Seriously. Who even plays Skyrim on computer with the original UI? It's not that it's bad, just so very mediocre.

I couldn't imagine playing it without SkyUI.

I recall there was definitely one poster who played with the original UI because he didn't feel comfortable interfering with the developers' vision by installing a mod.

We live in a strange and frightening world.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Triarii posted:

I recall there was definitely one poster who played with the original UI because he didn't feel comfortable interfering with the developers' vision by installing a mod.

I remember some guy saying that SkyUI's inventory being an easy to read spreadsheet was "spergy"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Is it just me or do corrupted machines take more to knock over? I tried to do the level 18 corrupted zone with all the chargers and the flame-bellowback but the Bellowback got snagged by the tripcaster, got electrified but didn't fall down like they always do. I think I've got the strat though, start from the bottom of the hill, snipe wherever the charger's radar-flashlight thing is so they can't detect me in the long grass anymore, stealth them to death with the lure, then deal with the Bellowback

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

Is it just me or do corrupted machines take more to knock over? I tried to do the level 18 corrupted zone with all the chargers and the flame-bellowback but the Bellowback got snagged by the tripcaster, got electrified but didn't fall down like they always do. I think I've got the strat though, start from the bottom of the hill, snipe wherever the charger's radar-flashlight thing is so they can't detect me in the long grass anymore, stealth them to death with the lure, then deal with the Bellowback

Corrupted machines are stronger than non-corrupted machines so it isn't just you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Corrupted Machines do not like fire. Apply it liberally.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Also don't be a dumb like me and buy the sharpshooter bow long before you get access to the purple one. The arrows it has are super useful

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I have the sharpshooter, it's served me well despite the low ammo capacity.

By the way am I the only one who sometimes sees the Sawtooth(?) on the box art as something else entirely? Sometimes I see the tail as a neck and the shoulders as humps, like a giant mechanical camel. Just when I see it out of the corner of me eye.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jun 24, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

I remember some guy saying that SkyUI's inventory being an easy to read spreadsheet was "spergy"

I don't think that was me, but I've never understood the need to make the UI into a giant spreadsheet in the first place. Generally, you want to avoid making things into spreadsheets.

I use the vanilla UI because it took (generously) five minutes to master it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

I don't think that was me, but I've never understood the need to make the UI into a giant spreadsheet in the first place. Generally, you want to avoid making things into spreadsheets.

I use the vanilla UI because it took (generously) five minutes to master it.

it probably also takes you five minutes to do anything in it

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

BioEnchanted posted:

Just realised from a datalog that Horizon is a Metal Gear game. An early datalog implied that the machines were created by (speculation, just about to take the Ring of Metal with the Warchief)PMCs fighting amongst themselves for corporations for control of certain resources, as described in the Datalog that mentions Bolivia. Then something wiped everyone out; something that enough people saw coming to build the All Mother to save the civillian members of the species, and even 'celebrate' sardonically when it finally hit them; and the remaining machines went feral. If I read that wrong don't clarify, I want the plot to make itself clear organically, but that's what I'm taking from it so far.

Haha cool. Horizon: Zero Dawn: Metal Gear: Rising: Postvengeance

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Holy poo poo, in Horizon I just did the level 18 corrupted zone in the Valley, right at the start of the game, and got a bunch of datalogs and a vantage for my trouble. The one guarded by a corrupted Bellowback and 4 corrupted Chargers. i just spawned at the campfire, jumped partway up the rocky mound (although only a few feet it was enough height, had to keep dodging fire by ducking behind it, waiting until the enemies deaggroed and popping back out to piss them off all over again) to avoid the Chargers and pelted the Bellowback with fire arrows until it exploded, although it took a shitton of arrows to take it out. The sharpshooter did enormous amounts of damage to it's back, the standard fire arrows were hitting for 25 when hitting the weakness, but the plain sharpshooter arrows were doing 90! It took a very long time and I am tired now, so I'll continue tomorrow morning after I've slept. :)

By the way I haven't actually done anything else yet since the last post apart from a sidequest - I was at the same point in the story that I was at when I kept dying to them, still at level 15, haven't even done the Cauldron yet.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Jun 24, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Mad Max is pretty good. I'm enjoying how Chumbucket automatically hops out of the car to repair it when I park.

I've seen some complaints about the combat, but I'm enjoying it so far, mostly because Max occasionally suplexes and body slams dudes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the first and third bosses/mission hubs (won't elaborate as I don't know how far in you are) because they did the best with what they had when it came to who they were and what tools they had available. The second one I never liked though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

Not really, though? It wasn't hard at all to do everything.

Complaints about Skyrim's default UI struck me as the reincarnation of people having problems drawing symbols in that old game Black & White. I just never understood how it was such a hard thing.

Hell, make that content: while the game had its flaws, being able to draw symbols to select spells in B&W was awesome and intuitive. Made you feel like a wizard being able just make a hand motion (literally) to draw up a spell and overpower it with a doodle.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Brother Entropy posted:

You are bad at videogames if it takes more than a handful of seconds.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Skyrim's vanilla UI also does that thing where it clicks on something you hovered over a few seconds ago because somehow it doesn't fully understand how a drat mouse works so you have to do it with the keyboard or reopen the menu. :mad: Dialogue does it too. SkyUI is better in literally every way I can conceive

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Mad Max is pretty good. I'm enjoying how Chumbucket automatically hops out of the car to repair it when I park.

I've seen some complaints about the combat, but I'm enjoying it so far, mostly because Max occasionally suplexes and body slams dudes.

It's also one of the prettiest open world car games I've played.

Sometimes the modern human just needs to chill out and drive along the plains of silence.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Caufman posted:

It's also one of the prettiest open world car games I've played.

Sometimes the modern human just needs to chill out and drive along the plains of silence.

I do like how it can get oddly serene, and then Chum is yelling at me about a sniper or something.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Danaru posted:

Skyrim's vanilla UI also does that thing where it clicks on something you hovered over a few seconds ago because somehow it doesn't fully understand how a drat mouse works so you have to do it with the keyboard or reopen the menu. :mad: Dialogue does it too. SkyUI is better in literally every way I can conceive

Yeah thats one of my favourite things about that 6 year old game too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Debunk This! posted:

Yeah thats one of my favourite things about that 6 year old game too.

My favorite thing about skyrim is how mad people still get about it. Just six years of anger at a single game. But then you look at fallout 3, and people are still really mad at it. And it's not surprising.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Nuebot posted:

My favorite thing about skyrim is how mad people still get about it. Just six years of anger at a single game. But then you look at fallout 3, and people are still really mad at it. And it's not surprising.

To be fair, they've releasing Skyrim over and over again those past six years. They're probably going to keep releasing it for years to come, too! It's basically free money for them at this point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zinkraptor posted:

To be fair, they've releasing Skyrim over and over again those past six years. They're probably going to keep releasing it for years to come, too! It's basically free money for them at this point.

I look forward to my grand kids being just as angry about the bugs as I was when the game first came out.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Triarii posted:

And of course it's MisterBibs because of loving course it is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Found the guy who sells maps in the first area of Horizon, so now I'm just gonna run around the valley getting all the stuff before doing the cauldron and moving on to the west. Shouldn't take long now that I know where to look, unless of course they are in the north - not quite ready for some of those harder enemies yet. I like the Vantage Points because they show how some buildings used to look before the end of the world and that's pretty neat. Also is there a way to increase your stealth-kill or critical damage beyond that one perk for critical? Stealth attacking a bellowback is practically pointless and just serves to piss it off for me.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Jun 25, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Agents are GO! posted:

I don't know what to think of Bibs thanks to Poes law. Is he a parody or just that clueless and obnoxious?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

But then you look at fallout 3, and people are still really mad at it.

People being upset about Fallout 3 totally made sense, though. Bethesda took "their" game, made it for others (read: modern gamers) and were massively rewarded for doing all the various and sundry things they considered wrong.

Agents are GO! posted:

It wasn't me, though. I understand that reading is a skill, but I just said a few posts ago that my 'motivation' for using using the vanilla UI was purely that it worked fine for me. None of that developer intent stuff, or opinion on sperginess.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Jun 25, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MisterBibs posted:

It wasn't me, though. I understand that reading is a skill, but I just said a few posts ago that my 'motivation' for using using the vanilla UI was purely that it worked fine for me. None of that developer intent stuff.
I can't decide which explanation is worse!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Found the guy who sells maps in the first area of Horizon, so now I'm just gonna run around the valley getting all the stuff before doing the cauldron and moving on to the west. Shouldn't take long now that I know where to look, unless of course they are in the north - not quite ready for some of those harder enemies yet. I like the Vantage Points because they show how some buildings used to look before the end of the world and that's pretty neat. Also is there a way to increase your stealth-kill or critical damage beyond that one perk for critical? Stealth attacking a bellowback is practically pointless and just serves to piss it off for me.

Your question will be answered by going to the Cauldron.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

People being upset about Fallout 3 totally made sense, though. Bethesda took "their" game, made it for others (read: modern gamers) and were massively rewarded for doing all the various and sundry things they considered wrong.

But they're still mad about it, is the point. People still make videos and write internet articles about how and why fallout 3 is bad.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nuebot posted:

But they're still mad about it, is the point. People still make videos and write internet articles about how and why fallout 3 is bad.

Criticizing an old thing doesn't automatically mean you're mad about it and people do it for great many things, including things far older than Fallout 3.

Unless you're going by small minorities in which case yeah people are constantly angry about everything in existence.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I do like how it can get oddly serene, and then Chum is yelling at me about a sniper or something.

When Griffa tells Max, "That which is broken can be mended by love only," I was stunned the first time I watched that. Things started making more sense in my life. I went through the same transformation as Max, though with way fewer suplexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm liking how Aloy responds to collectibles, like the Viewpoints and flowers. The more she finds, the more insightful her comments become and the more refined her sense of wonder. A few viewpoints in she actively wonders "I wonder what this used to be :allears:". She genuinely fascinated by the civilization that everyone forgot about, and wants to learn as much as she can about it. I'd love to have optional scenes of her geeking out about the Ring of Metal to Teersa. "It was such a neat structure, and they played games there... and this one pointy building in a corrupted zone to the south east was some kind of school, or research facility I don't know... You should find your own focus someday, I could show you :haw:"

I've noticed parallels in this game to Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Both involve a character exploring the overgrown ruins of modern or near-future cities, both involve a type of collectible that allows them to "see" the past holographically, and both have mechanical monstrosities left over by the Old Ones. Also similar primary weapon, most of Aloy's attacks are using the shaft of her spear. The tip only comes into play during stealth.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Jun 25, 2017