Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Probably a mod bug. I have very few mods and the colony name prompt has come up for me every single game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
I also got no option to name my colony in my latest game. Seems it's a known issue:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33345.0

edit: Apparently it's a new bug linked to undiscovered ancient mechanoid shrines being partially active.

This actually explains another weird thing that happened early in my game. Random groups of friendlies coming to help when there's no danger.

Devdisigdu fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 24, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Devdisigdu posted:

I also got no option to name my colony in my latest game. Seems it's a known issue:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33345.0

edit: Apparently it's a new bug linked to undiscovered ancient mechanoid shrines being partially active.

This actually explains another weird thing that happened early in my game. Random groups of friendlies coming to help when there's no danger.

Did you get constant battle music too? I had that problem along with random friendly people coming to my aid, and not being able to name my colony. Eventually it fixed itself, but I don't remember if it fixed itself after I cleared out the shrines.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
I'm not using any mods or dev mode stuff, but I do have 3 extra empty colonies down the road i was using to collect resources. I've gone through about 16 colonists so far, no colony name event.

It's weird having 4 colonies open because random events happen in all of them. I've had animals self-tame, raids, drop pods, crashes, toxic fallout, cold snaps etc. in the field but not at home (can't bring anything back without sending scouts). The raids are no threat and don't move on to my main base but I have to deal with the constant stream of warnings popping up and slowing down my game time due to "combat" that isn't affecting me. The best is when wanderers join my colony out there, I can easily walk them back to my base without any food. I wonder if having more colonies increases the rate at which this happens overall because it seems to be working to my benefit.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

TACO_HERO posted:

I'm not using any mods or dev mode stuff, but I do have 3 extra empty colonies down the road i was using to collect resources. I've gone through about 16 colonists so far, no colony name event.

It's weird having 4 colonies open because random events happen in all of them. I've had animals self-tame, raids, drop pods, crashes, toxic fallout, cold snaps etc. in the field but not at home (can't bring anything back without sending scouts). The raids are no threat and don't move on to my main base but I have to deal with the constant stream of warnings popping up and slowing down my game time due to "combat" that isn't affecting me. The best is when wanderers join my colony out there, I can easily walk them back to my base without any food. I wonder if having more colonies increases the rate at which this happens overall because it seems to be working to my benefit.

I've done the same thing to gather extra resources, but I usually abandon them after collecting some components. Do you leave yours open?

I was also wondering about the friendlies events. I had two groups of friendlies show up at once when nothing was going on. I guess I will have to start digging through all the ancient walls to see if I find any ancient ruins.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
I figured why bother to abandon them when they're directly adjacent to my base on a road. I can go there and pick stuff up super fast to bring back. I was considering abandoning them when they ran out of resources but all this stuff kept happening over there and it's been entertaining me so I haven't bothered.

Is it true that you can never go back after you abandon a tile? That was the reason I didn't do it in the first place.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Simple solution: disable mechanoids because they are dumb

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Man, hot weather maps are boooooooooooring :jerkbag:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Are there any mods that disable pawns so you can play without the whole "The Sims" aspect of the game? I really dig the game asthetic but the pawns have a really jarring and the colony management part just isn't my thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The whole game is about micromanaging your dudes, I haven't heard of a full automation mod :shrug:

Steam's collection editor is so loving terrible but here's all the mods I'm using:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=952720927

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I thought he was being ironic.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This is the internet, there are some weird people out there who like weird things :shrug:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Omnicarus posted:

Are there any mods that disable pawns so you can play without the whole "The Sims" aspect of the game? I really dig the game asthetic but the pawns have a really jarring and the colony management part just isn't my thing.
Errr without pawns what would you "do" in this game?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The medieval times mod isn't that great. There is definitely a lot of "stuff" in it, but most of it is either redundant or pointless.

The various blacksmithing stuff is a great example. Look at this list:

You may be going, "Wow, that's a lot of items!" But once you actually look at their stats, you realize that they are either identical (for example, there is literally no difference, except for looks, between a Bascinet and a Death Mask) or so close in their DPS/armor values to be totally meaningless.

A short sword, which is a "tier 1" weapon, does 13 damage every 2.1 seconds.

A claymore, which is a "tier 2" weapon, does 21 damage every 3 seconds.

Whoop-de-doo.

There are some quality of life items and structures, some of which is useful. You can build wooden fences (cheap walls, basically) to create neat animal areas and also keep wild animals out of your farmlands. Ballistas are a useful early-era turret that have very long range. They are deadly, but must be manned like mortars. And if you play on a map that has real winters, you can use ice to refrigerate/freeze your food, which alleviates a major pain point of tribals.

Overall though the mod doesn't add that much content or depth, and it definitely doesn't change the way tribals play to any appreciable degree (or at least to the degree advertised). In order to succeed at higher difficulties you still need to rush electricity/turrets and establish a killbox ASAP, otherwise raids or manhunter packs simply crush you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It reminds me of the multiple mods now that add like 700 modern day guns into the game, despite most of them being functionally just assault rifles with slightly different stats. More doesn't always mean better :(

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Some more drug talk. I was wrong about weed or beer knocking them out. My previous game they both had cancer which i didnt think effected conciousness but maybe it does cause my healthy guys dont go down nearly as easily.

Fyi cancer isnt a huge downside it goes into remission and shrinks till it has little effect. I dont think it can kill you with treatment.

Also the yayo page on the wiki says liver or kidney damage (dont remember) with pyschite tolerance after a mean of 180 days. It doesnt say that on the wake up page, but wake up gives you pyschite addiction so will it also give you the same health effects as yayo?

For some reason if you are addicted to yayo you get pyschite withdrawal, however wake up wont interrupt pyschite withdrawal caused by yayo even though it will give you the same pyschite addiction and tolerance and vice versa. You can effectively use the other to mitigate the effects of withdrawal. Go juice works too but im not sure if it also leads to a pyschite addiction or has its own, it is made with pyschite though. For some reason it treats them as seperate addictions although from the flags in the health tab you can't tell what drug led to the pyschite addiction or tolerance or which would cause relapse. I cant tell if both add to the pyschite tolerance build up even though it seems to act like unique addictions just with the same name.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Psychite applies to both yayo and flake (which are cocaine and crack, respectively) so that's why they invoke similar tolerances. Wake up is meth and is just derived from the same precursor for simplicity's sake.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Coolguye posted:

Psychite applies to both yayo and flake (which are cocaine and crack, respectively) so that's why they invoke similar tolerances. Wake up is meth and is just derived from the same precursor for simplicity's sake.

Yeah im just surprised you can juggle those addictions as if they are seperate. Either that or you can relapse without halting withdrawal because of some stat im unclear on.

I will experiment further lol but its kinda hard cause i cant make them eat a bunch of yayo without killing them and you can actually go a good while before they get tolerance or addiction just from random streaks of good luck. One dude however is getting some flake so this should be fun. :science:

E: and what im thinking is it might be best to do yayo on a schedule and nurse them off addiction with wake up because it has more boosts it almost negates the negative parts of withdrawal. If you are nursing a wake up addiction yayo and go juice arent nearly as effective in countering the effects so it might be better to keep it as a recovery drug. Most advice now is to just use wake up since its better.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 24, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Smokeleaf is my go to "everyone cool it" drug since every time I use booze, my whole colony ends up alcoholics. Just for the love of god don't let your surgeon have any :ohdear: It took days to clean up the hospital

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I had to stop growing smokeleaf because all my workers would just smoke on their 2 hour break and then get no work done.

Plus my chef would just smoke so much they had to be rescued and nursed back to health in the hospital

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I just ignore drugs entirely. Too much of a pain in the rear end. Keep some chocolate or ambrosia around for emergency "HOLY gently caress I SAW A DEEP ONE OH MY GODS OH MY GODS" situations or just stuff them silly with joy time. Anybody I capture with addiction or chemical trait goes right to the organ mill/sacrificial altar/butcher block/human leather clothing processing chain.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

The uppers give some good bonuses and can make bad pawns ok. If you use a schedule and keep them off for a couple days if they get a tolerance theres not really any downsides. The chance they will become addicted is pretty low but if they do get addicted let them go nuts till tolerance pops up they almost get enough done to make up for it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It would be great if negative traits also had positive qualities.

Chemical Interest should make chemicals more effective for that pawn.

Pyromaniac should result in bigger explosions with molotovs/incendiary launcher.

Abrasive should give the pawn a mood boost when they insult someone.

Because right now, prisoners/recruits with those traits go straight into organ harvesting. Managing their BS is simply not worth it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Smokeleaf and beer are fantastic and good to keep around as an emergency mood booster, but absolutely not as a scheduled thing you let your pawns go crazy with on their own. The fact that they're enormously profitable while also serving a useful side role makes them great.

As for the hard drugs, I've only really experimented with go-juice(and luciferium, of course), but go-juice owns for an emergency "there's an infestation in my freezer and i need my melee dude to simultaneously exist in multiple timelines at once" type situations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

abrasive is really not a problem, just set their schedule so they sleep in the middle of the day instead of at night so they don't talk to anyone

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Kanos posted:

Smokeleaf and beer are fantastic and good to keep around as an emergency mood booster, but absolutely not as a scheduled thing you let your pawns go crazy with on their own. The fact that they're enormously profitable while also serving a useful side role makes them great.

As for the hard drugs, I've only really experimented with go-juice(and luciferium, of course), but go-juice owns for an emergency "there's an infestation in my freezer and i need my melee dude to simultaneously exist in multiple timelines at once" type situations.

If you give them a schedule they follow it unless they have the chemical interest trait. And even then i think they only disobey when they are in a bender.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

abrasive is really not a problem, just set their schedule so they sleep in the middle of the day instead of at night so they don't talk to anyone

This hasn't really worked for me all that well. They still manage to insult and start fights with other pawns as they are passing them by on the way to/from their room, or while walking back from the battlements after a raid.

I mean it's not a huge deal, just one more thing to have to worry about and with no upside.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

do you have common access to bedrooms? i basically make an apartment block of 6x6 rooms with the block being 15 on a side and abrasive people get to say like one thing to one pawn every day. i mean sure it's not total elimination but lmao if that's the biggest problem you have with a pawn.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can see the point being made. Sure you can work around the negative traits but unless they come with double flames in like every possible skill you could want or something there's no reason not to throw them into the grinder and capture someone else. If insulting someone else gave themselves a temporary mood boost or something then the negative trait wouldn't be an immediate dis-qualifier.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

disagree. the problem with insults etc is the social fights they cause, not any temporary moodlets. if those are knocking people into break zones the problem is your colony management, not your pawns. social fights are a huge problem and they are pretty much entirely curtailed by keeping the curmudgeons on a different schedule. the assertion that it's an immediate disqualifier is nonsense, not when there's everything from age, flames, background, and random points thrown into the mix. even pyro is really not that big of a deal, it is more annoying than anything else unless literally nobody will put out fires. if the pyro has 10 crafting and is the only one in the colony who can produce good weapons and clothing then it's absolutely worth keeping them around.

the idea that pretty much everything should have some kind of upside really misses the forest for the trees imo. pawns are not roles that you can slap on with a labeling gun. you don't get 'doctor' or 'janitor' come out of the wilderness, you get 'some teenage punk who can use a gun and i guess he'll dig latrines in his off time or smth' and 'some dumbfuck glitterworld doctor who won't stop smoking all the loving weed and is a dick to all her patients'. nothing is ever perfect or right and that's the point. you mitigate and fix these problems with good play and good management.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

disagree. the problem with insults etc is the social fights they cause, not any temporary moodlets. if those are knocking people into break zones the problem is your colony management, not your pawns.

Mood isn't just about mental breaks. It also affects global work speed. Getting insulted is a -5 debuff that lasts for 2 whole days and stacks. Yeah, it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, especially if you do some extra work to segregate abrasive pawns from the rest, but it's also something that can be avoided completely by not bothering to recruit them.

quote:

if the pyro has 10 crafting and is the only one in the colony who can produce good weapons and clothing then it's absolutely worth keeping them around.

Meh. I've never had a "omg I desperately need this guy" moment. I guess if you play the Rich Explorer scenario, or play the others and go with the default starting guys without rerolling them a bunch (or customizing them with Prepare Carefully) you might find yourself in those types of situations often. For me though, an abrasive or pyromaniac pawn better be a loving rockstar if I'm going to even consider recruiting them.

quote:

the idea that pretty much everything should have some kind of upside really misses the forest for the trees imo. pawns are not roles that you can slap on with a labeling gun. you don't get 'doctor' or 'janitor' come out of the wilderness, you get 'some teenage punk who can use a gun and i guess he'll dig latrines in his off time or smth' and 'some dumbfuck glitterworld doctor who won't stop smoking all the loving weed and is a dick to all her patients'. nothing is ever perfect or right and that's the point. you mitigate and fix these problems with good play and good management.

Good management is about avoiding unnecessary risks and mitigating unavoidable risks.

The game has already enough of the latter. Solar flares, toxic fallouts, volcanic winters, infestations, power surges, etc. etc. are all risks you need to mitigate against. Pawns with problem-causing traits though are in the "entirely avoidable" category. So I avoid them, unless they are incredibly skilled and passionate or I'm looking for some cannon fodder to send on my offensive to the raider town next door.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

A short sword, which is a "tier 1" weapon, does 13 damage every 2.1 seconds.

A claymore, which is a "tier 2" weapon, does 21 damage every 3 seconds.

Their base damage is multiplied by a factor when quality is determined, so that higher base damage ends up being even larger at high quality. The biggest problem with the mod imo is that the vanilla Smithing longsword is functionally the same as the Medieval Longsword, only the modern/vanilla weapons can also be made out of plasteel and end up being just wayyyyyy better. There is no vanilla melee equivalent of the claymore though, for the big veiny alpha strike.

All of the armor is actually really valuable (tbh overpowered) because it can be layered, so you can end up with:

- Body slot (encased steel armor)
- Overarmor (a parka, duster, or whatever, made out of devilstrand)
- A very tough helmet
- Armored gloves and boots
- Tailored gloves and socks, again made from devilstrand
- AND A MELEE SHIELD

And it only requires steel, wool, and textiles, it's a really interesting mod and I like it very much :black101:

quote:

Overall though the mod doesn't add that much content or depth, and it definitely doesn't change the way tribals play to any appreciable degree (or at least to the degree advertised). In order to succeed at higher difficulties you still need to rush electricity/turrets and establish a killbox ASAP, otherwise raids or manhunter packs simply crush you.

It's good to make a choke point of some sort like I showed earlier to neutralize enemy ranged and to allow you to dogpile invaders as they come in but once you build sets of gear for your front line, you can stand off really large raids and manhunter packs of all sorts without serious casualties. Overall it's a lot stronger being melee oriented than it is being ranged, at least until you have ~20 guys with assault rifles or a giant array of turrets.

I creamed this raid with I think one guy downed and no permanent injuries, and didn't even have devilstrand (or god forbid, bionics)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 25, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I mean in reality if i crash land on a planet and some dude is like "na im not lifting a finger i used to be somebody" they arent gonna last long before they budge on that or or theres a hunting accident. Its cool that its a possiblilty but going through the traits its far too common they refuse a core job.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Their base damage is multiplied by a factor when quality is determined, so that higher base damage ends up being even larger at high quality. The biggest problem with the mod imo is that the vanilla Smithing longsword is functionally the same as the Medieval Longsword, only the modern/vanilla weapons can also be made out of plasteel and end up being just wayyyyyy better. There is no vanilla melee equivalent of the claymore though, for the big veiny alpha strike.

All of the armor is actually really valuable (tbh overpowered) because it can be layered, so you can end up with:

- A very tough helmet
- AND A MELEE SHIELD

And it only requires steel, wool, and textiles, it's a really interesting mod and I like it very much :black101:

I saw in one of the info texts that you helped with the coal stuff, is that true?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I did a mod based on MT that was just coal (mining and use as fuel in many constructions) and it was fairly popular, so I encouraged him to just integrate it. His version is a little less generous than mine but it's a good alternative to wood fuel, especially in tundra/desert/ice sheet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Friendly reminder of why melee weapons are good despite their caveats: zero warmup time.

e:

- A very tough helmet
- AND A MELEE SHIELD

... I forgot gambeson (iirc covers torso and arms/legs)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 25, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Mood isn't just about mental breaks. It also affects global work speed. Getting insulted is a -5 debuff that lasts for 2 whole days and stacks. Yeah, it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, especially if you do some extra work to segregate abrasive pawns from the rest, but it's also something that can be avoided completely by not bothering to recruit them.

Meh. I've never had a "omg I desperately need this guy" moment. I guess if you play the Rich Explorer scenario, or play the others and go with the default starting guys without rerolling them a bunch (or customizing them with Prepare Carefully) you might find yourself in those types of situations often. For me though, an abrasive or pyromaniac pawn better be a loving rockstar if I'm going to even consider recruiting them.

Good management is about avoiding unnecessary risks and mitigating unavoidable risks.

The game has already enough of the latter. Solar flares, toxic fallouts, volcanic winters, infestations, power surges, etc. etc. are all risks you need to mitigate against. Pawns with problem-causing traits though are in the "entirely avoidable" category. So I avoid them, unless they are incredibly skilled and passionate or I'm looking for some cannon fodder to send on my offensive to the raider town next door.

GWS modifiers based on mood happen at extremes, it's flat out concern trolling to say that one person getting slighted is an actual problem. once again, if you use your scheduling tools, that's what you boil it back to; one, maybe two people getting a slight and a -5 moodlet on a sliding scale of bloody 100. if your colony is teetering on an edge that thin then it's time to re-evaluate your larger scale strategy. even then, a full GWS bonus for full on blindingly happy is 20% - having two pawns at neutral instead of 1 gives you 80% more work and is more useful since those two pawns can be two places at once. the real question is whether or not the pawn has a real place in your colony as is. if you are outright lacking a competent crafter, pretty much anything is worth the good+ quality devilstrand gear, weapons, and armor that a 10+ pawn is going to give you. good warriors that can do dumb labor are similarly invaluable. if you want to talk about minigating unavoidable risks, battle is one of those. you are going to fight in this game; it's inevitable, even with my turret-heavy strategies you're going to get drop podded or psychic shipped into a bad fight at some point. preparation for that alone goes myriad places, from mining, to hauling, to cleaning, to crafting, to growing, to cooking, to medicine. turning away a pawn that can fill a role like that because they have abrasive or annoying voice (which is actually worse than abrasive since it causes insults to fly both ways) is lunacy.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
I just let them go nuts with drugs whenever they want. I always have a lot because I sell drugs to survive, they don't seem to touch anything but weed unless they have chemical interest but everyone smokes weed all day. It hasn't been too much of a problem though. The cokehead lady is my cleaner so it isn't a big deal when she goes on a binge.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The problem is smoking weed all the time gives you really bad work penalties and eventually gives you carcinomas, which is why I don't really like scheduled weed intake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

DogonCrook posted:

I mean in reality if i crash land on a planet and some dude is like "na im not lifting a finger i used to be somebody" they arent gonna last long before they budge on that or or theres a hunting accident. Its cool that its a possiblilty but going through the traits its far too common they refuse a core job.

He that will not work shall not eat.