Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
A comedy about female wrestlers doesn't really sound like my bag, honestly. Can you guys go into more detail on what's so good about it?

Also is it episodic or serial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

-Blackadder- posted:

A comedy about female wrestlers doesn't really sound like my bag, honestly. Can you guys go into more detail on what's so good about it?

Also is it episodic or serial?

It's about a band of lovable losers - either by choice or by bullshit circumstances - being whipped into shape for a big stage show by a guy (Marc Maron) who's a charming degenerate in his own right. I'm only an episode and a half in but the vibe is basically Major League by way of Orange is the New Black, with a little dash of Slings and Arrows.

And yeah, it's fairly serialized, but it's a little too early for me to tell if every episode is a self-contained story or just a chapter in a larger one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm just gonna watch it cause I like the actress. Nothing else matters.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For those who didn't know (like myself), GLOW is a docudrama.

I was wondering why Alison Brie agreed to do a series about female wrestlers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

I was wondering why Alison Brie agreed to do a series about female wrestlers.

There are so many weird implications in this sentence I don't know where to start.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, looking across Brie's career I'm not sure why GLOW would stand out as particularly weird.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How much is Marc Maron actually in the show? I like Alison Brie and the premise but I really hate Maron.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Maron is fine as long as he's not talking about himself.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

None of the cast interests me, and as a former wrestling fan I have zero interest in GLOW either as I know the dumb story of that terrible company already. I think I'll skip this one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mameluke posted:

How much is Marc Maron actually in the show? I like Alison Brie and the premise but I really hate Maron.

He's in it a lot and basically plays himself, but I think it works. YMMV obviously

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm not a Maron guy but he's doing pretty much the only type of character he's able to do well.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

DivisionPost posted:

It's about a band of lovable losers - either by choice or by bullshit circumstances - being whipped into shape for a big stage show by a guy (Marc Maron) who's a charming degenerate in his own right. I'm only an episode and a half in but the vibe is basically Major League by way of Orange is the New Black, with a little dash of Slings and Arrows.

And yeah, it's fairly serialized, but it's a little too early for me to tell if every episode is a self-contained story or just a chapter in a larger one.

This actually sounds like it could be pretty cool based on this description. I'm also seeing Danny McBride as a better choice for the Marc Maron role.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I'm a wrestling fan but any interest I have in GLOW has nothing to do with that. Its not like I watch Better Caul Saul because of my deep appreciation for the intricacies of lawyers lawyering each other or laugh at Brooklyn Nine Nine because of my many years in the police force.

I'm not super interested in GLOW because while I have nothing against Brie or Maron neither is a "draw" to me. Its on my Netflix list but there's a lot on that list. Maybe I'll get to it, maybe I won't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There is almost literally zero wrestling and not much more "talking about wrestling" in the first 5 episodes. It's an ensemble comedy with a lot of 80s humor more than anything, so far. And it's really fuckin' funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, uh, Playing House is back TONIGHT.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

That's not even half of it. He has had throat ripped out by magical wolves. The same magical mountain spirit wolves who sent him back to the mountain in the first place. Then the Farrells find his severed arm but no body, so maybe he's a magical one armed mountain zombie?

I have no idea but I'm quickly losing interest.

You know they lost the actor, right? It's not like they just bumped him off for the lols.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Open Source Idiom posted:

You know they lost the actor, right? It's not like they just bumped him off for the lols.

I wasn't sure because I'm watching it now and didn't want to google too much and risk spoiling myself.

But like I still think it was a senseless and deflating way to do it. And even then I wouldn't have been too bothered if it weren't for all that other stuff happening too. Like I said, it felt like they just discarded everything from S1 and rolled new characters on everyone.

I finished Episode 2 and... yeah, I think I might just write it off and squeeze in Handmaid's Tale, a Happy Endings rewatch, and maybe Top of the Lake before my subscription is up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wanted to check out what Disney has been doing with their animated characters since they're about to relaunch DuckTales and I watched some of the recent Micky Mouse shorts they do for TV and much to my surprise they're mostly really good. I was always a much bigger fan of the WB shorts as opposed to the Disney ones but these are pretty great for the most part. I love the art style of them as well. They're not hand drawn but they have a really retro art style that really suits the material well. I'm pretty impressed. They also have a ton of them on their official YouTube channel so I don't even have to go to an app or something to see them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone watched The Mist? About 5 minutes in and it seems familiar... Blonde, innocent teenage girl with a (assuming) gay BFF. Did I accidentally start up Riverdale?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The Mist seems really bad to me, gonna give it a couple more episodes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grem posted:

The Mist seems really bad to me, gonna give it a couple more episodes.

Is it literally a TV adaptation of that lovely horror movie?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

The Mist feels like the braindead fucktards who made Under the Dome are involved. I have no idea whether they truly are, but it sure seems like it's of a similar "quality".

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea, but with a bigger cast and small town drama that probably would have led to one the cast being murdered anyway.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
It is a bit more focused on the drama between characters as opposed to the mystery of the mist itself, but the mystery is still there, just stretched out over however many hours of tv this lasts for. The pilot episode had to set up a whole bunch of issues before the mist rolled in, and was rather week for it, but the next two episodes are more balanced between the problems of the people in town and the problems created by the mist.
If anyone was really expecting high quality sci-fi horror, well the show airs on spike, so that is really on them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Frank Darabont's movie version of The Mist is a perfect adaptation in that it even improved on the material it was adapting. Especially so with the ending. It's a great movie and I can't for any reason see why there needs to be a TV show of the same thing.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, I really, really enjoyed The Mist movie as well. In fact it's one of my favorite King adaptions. I was looking forward to the show simply because I was intrigued by the world and want to see more of it, however I'm not surprised to hear it might be turning out poorly, realistically all they can really do is drag out the film's events over the course of however many tv episodes are in the season. I don't know where else they'd go with it. But I guess we'll see.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Frank Darabont's movie version of The Mist is a perfect adaptation in that it even improved on the material it was adapting. Especially so with the ending. It's a great movie and I can't for any reason see why there needs to be a TV show of the same thing.

Maybe because the CGI sucks rear end.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Blood Drive is really scratching that gory, campy itch that the Ash vs Evil Dead off-season leaves behind. It's stupid as hell but it knows exactly what it is, and completely revels in it. Anyone planning on getting a thread going?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

X-O posted:

Yeah, this is probably why I'm so negative at the show to begin with. The movie was so fantastic, all the TV show can do is look worse and worse in comparison.

Being a huge King fan in my youth, I loved the short story and when the movie came out I told my friends "The ending is DARK guys, it's gonna be great!" Cut to us in the theater, movie goes a bit further than the book "Oh man, they made it darker." cut to a few minutes later "HOLY poo poo, THAT'S DARK!" cut to a few seconds later "HAHAHAAH HOLY poo poo THAT IS THE DARKEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There was a Syfy miniseries of a King short story that was basically the exact premise of The Mist (people forced to stay in a room together and they're all assholes) and it was terrible and drawn out so I'm not surprised.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The new Gong Show is just as deranged as the 70s' original and this character of Mike Myers is horrifically fascinating. I really liked it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Forgot that Preacher season 2 starts tomorrow and Monday, hopefully now that they got the setup with season 1 done with they can go full borne with it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Netflix cancelled Girlboss. They are like a real network now and chopping stuff left and right.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The new Gong Show is just as deranged as the 70s' original and this character of Mike Myers is horrifically fascinating. I really liked it.

Came here to post this. It may have been the right combo of beer/weed but jesus I laughed a lot. Also the best thing Myers has done for years.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Unkempt posted:

Also the best thing Myers has done for years.

Aside from voicing Shrek in a few shorts and some SNL cameos it's the only acting role he's had since his cameo in Inglourious Basterds in 2009. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Netflix cancelled Girlboss. They are like a real network now and chopping stuff left and right.
Between this, Under the Dome, and Tomorrowland, the Britt Robertson thing is never going to happen.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I wonder if Girlboss was sunk more by the secret actual viewer numbers or the bad press on the real life version/producer that dropped around the same time as the season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

try the new taco place posted:

I wonder if Girlboss was sunk more by the secret actual viewer numbers or the bad press on the real life version/producer that dropped around the same time as the season.

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B. Pretty sure it got savaged by critics as well.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

precision posted:

Pretty sure it got savaged by critics as well.

Quite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Netflix cancelled Girlboss

Thank god

• Locked thread