Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How is Dying Light? I know it the Dead Island developers and I did enjoy that the brief time I played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I haven't watched naruto in like 10 years but ultimate ninja storm 4 is $7

I bought it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bringing back an old effort-post of mine about Roguelikes, my favorite genre!

Roguelikes

Bionic Dues is down to 1.49$, and it's Arcen's weird unpolished game where you swap out different robots as you fight other robots. Worth a gander but you won't love it.

Caves of Qud is at 8.99$! Buy it! You all know the refrain by now, it's the classic post-apocalyptic mutant exploration game where you die to turrets, giant angry bears, and angry NPCs!

Crypt of the Necrodancer! 2.99$ for a beautifully designed roguelike where you dance as you kill your foes - it's wonderful, even if you have a bad sense of rhythm as I do.

Desktop Dungeons is 7.49$, and well - do you like having your brain fried as you try to solve puzzles? It's fascinating and difficult and elegant. *Do not get the goatperson DLC, I hear that class is an utter pain to play as, and only for advanced users.

Dungeonmans! Do you like fun? I like fun. It's 7.49$ for a pure dungeoncrawling experience. No funny plot to slow you down, no weird mutations to pick from, just a straightforward (yet cool) set of skills, your weaponry, and ever-more-powerful bees to kill. Good times. (The DLC is great, BUT do not get it unless you want to add difficulty sliders to the game, as it adds no other new content. The sliders are great and I love the new mechanics and customization, but it's for advanced players.)

Dungeons of Dredmor, a clunky classic for 2.49$. It's funny, its skill-tree hasn't been duplicated by anyone else yet, and it brought roguelikes to the mainstream. I also here there's a tiny tiny chance it might be getting a new patch or something? Fingers crossed!

One Way Heroics for 2.44$ (Add Plus edition for 2.59$!) - A weird yet cool game where you race across the kingdom to kill the Overlord before his creeping darkness swallows up everything. Plus Edition adds a TON of content and refinements to the game. There's an expensive remake that I'd pass on unless you really, really must have more of this game, too.

Sproggiwood. 4.49$ - no time for dungeon diving? New to the genre? This is the holy grail of accessible roguelikes. It's fun to play, cute to look at, and surprisingly vicious. Savage mode is no joke. Play it, and learn to hate twinned monsters!

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. For 1.29$..... you could do better. I'm sorry, but this game is terrible and I don't like it. It's one of the few sci-fi roguelikes, but DoomRL is free. Please play DoomRL instead.

ToME, one of the biggest roguelikes out there - listen. It's free at its website. What you are buying on steam is the upgraded fancy version. Worth it - I mean it's 2.37$ - but please go play the free version first. This game can be very offputting if you're not ready for it.

And then we get things I don't class as roguelikes in my steam library because I'm a nerd, but hey, they're good anyways!

FTL, THE game to play if you want to be captain kirk. Not a fan of the final boss, but you owe it to yourself to play at least one or two games of this. 2.49$

Spelunky is 2.24$ and it's the Indiana Jones experience. I mean I don't need to sell this one do I? Everyone knows it.

New Additions To This List

868-HACK, my favorite simple roguelike. It's almost an arcade game in how fiendishly simple it is. For 4.12$ it's one of the best on the list - carefully navigate a gauntlet of enemies as you collect weird/cool powerups and beat the game - then loop it, going as far down as you can before you die.

AuroraRL weird sci-fi roguelike for 0.74$ - it honestly feels like a game from the 80s or 90s? It's just... very weird, but there's a lot to do and it's cheap, so hey, check it out.

Morphblade - honestly it feels like a phone game. 2.49$ for a simple-yet-complex gauntlet of enemies where you upgrade the board itself with different tiles as you progress. I like it, it's by the Gunpoint guy, but it's not a deep game.

Risk of Rain, my new favorite Spelunky-esque game. 2.49$, has great dynamic difficulty and cool items - you try to clear five stages and their bosses before the timer reaches the insane difficulties, steadily getting stronger - or dying. I love it a lot!

MidBoss - alas, it's brand new so they couldn't do a sale, so it's a full 14.99$, but I like it. It's about possessing monsters and becoming them as you go through the dungeon. You learn skills from them, pick up new loot, and basically have a good pure roguelike experience. The devs are working on more improvements as we speak!

Summary

The absolute best things on this list are still Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, and Crypt of the Necromancer - and the best bargain is DoomRL, as it's free! Get these four, have a blast!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rirse posted:

How is Dying Light? I know it the Dead Island developers and I did enjoy that the brief time I played it.

If you look back a few pages people talked about the good and bad of it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

If you look back a few pages people talked about the good and bad of it.

Thanks for the heads up, I tend to skip pages if there 200 replies since last time I visited the board so I didn't even see this.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Anyone have a review on Brick Rigs?

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Rirse posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I tend to skip pages if there 200 replies since last time I visited the board so I didn't even see this.

This is why I never post in d&d stuff.

Games pretty fun so far, about an hour in.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone that enjoyed, even a little bit, the Dead Island games will enjoy Dying Light. It's basically those with parkour + better.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Zathril posted:

Any opinions on Particle Fleet: Emergence? I liked Creeper World 3.

I didn't like it nearly as much as Creeper World 3. The enemy works similarly but you're building a limited number of large ships that you move around instead of buildings, which makes it a lot more like a generic RTS. It's not bad, and if you really want more Creeper World it's probably a worthwhile buy, but not as interesting.

IMHO, anyways. I didn't really get around to the post campaign content with designing your own ships and stuff.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Uh...so this is what my steam cart looks like right now. Most of it is pretty heavily discounted (~75%), but I still think I could really use some help cutting this down...

One Finger Death Punch
Hero Siege Complete
Street Fighter X Tekken: Complete Pack
Skullgirls 2nd Encore Upgrade
Skullgirls
Rochard
Portal Bundle
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Stardew Valley
ICEY
Rise of Nations: Extended Edition
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Disciples II: Gallean's Return
Dust: An Elysian Tail
UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late
Rivals of Aether
Brothers in Arms Pack
Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action!
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Craft The World
Megabyte Punch
Creeper World 3
Bad Company 2 Bundle
Way of the Samurai 3
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 Road to Boruto
Medal of Honor
Dungeon Warfare
Salt and Sanctuary
The Dweller
Broforce
Hollow Knight

Subtotal: $188.18

Halp!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I didn't find hero siege very fun despite multiple attempts to get into it, it seems extremely grindy to me, with your base abilities you'll hit a ceiling as to how far you'll get and enemies will take forever to go down

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

-Blackadder- posted:

Uh...so this is what my steam cart looks like right now. Most of it is pretty heavily discounted (~75%), but I still think I could really use some help cutting this down...

Halp!

For starters:

Hero Siege Complete (I still don't know what the appeal of Hero Siege is. Are you super into the base game already or no?)
Street Fighter X Tekken: Complete Pack (Don't know a ton about it, but it doesn't seem that popular, and you've got a buncha other fighters right there.)
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut (Frequently in bundles and is otherwise a just OK Portal-style game.)
Bad Company 2 Bundle (IIRC, Vietnam is cool but multiplayer only and also dead, so maybe just get the base game.)
Medal of Honor (Suuuuper skippable. There might still be some old Humble Origin keys floating around for it, too.)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

StrixNebulosa posted:

Summary

The absolute best things on this list are still Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, and Crypt of the Necromancer - and the best bargain is DoomRL, as it's free! Get these four, have a blast!

Dancer, Crypt of the NecroDancer :eng101:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is Spore worth $5?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I decided to try my luck on the gmg loot box. Every game I got is either broken and abandoned by the dev, a mobile port, a bad early access game, or somehow all three.

So enjoy the keys I guess?

PULSECHARGE: RGQRQ-PGLBL-8HIKL

NIKOPOL: KMD9T-AZ6K7-0E5KV

D GENERATION HD: LH8C2-57CJM-W0K7E

NORTH: 38FBA-BF0HD-D2MIT

ONIKIRA DEMON KILLER STEAM: 5TR32-XTKRZ-V5B5G

HEROLIKE STEAM: VET7H-9WGNT-LP744

SURVIVAL DRIVER STEAM: 6JID7-Y2FKV-5VKW5

CORROSION COLD WINTER WAITING ENHANCED: WC3VI-YKXCC-78LEL

AIRSHIP ASUNDER: 4IJPI-3HY0G-L59XI

SUPER BOMB RUSH: FQP2J-DITER-ATWKB

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

John Murdoch posted:

For starters:

Hero Siege Complete (I still don't know what the appeal of Hero Siege is. Are you super into the base game already or no?)
Street Fighter X Tekken: Complete Pack (Don't know a ton about it, but it doesn't seem that popular, and you've got a buncha other fighters right there.)
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut (Frequently in bundles and is otherwise a just OK Portal-style game.)
Bad Company 2 Bundle (IIRC, Vietnam is cool but multiplayer only and also dead, so maybe just get the base game.)
Medal of Honor (Suuuuper skippable. There might still be some old Humble Origin keys floating around for it, too.)

Thanks, this is definitely a good start.

- Hero Siege: Switched to the cheap ($0.83) base game to see if I end up liking it first.
- Street Fighter X Tekken: I think the bad reviews are due to GFWL but there are patches that fix it apparently, and the discount was hard to pass up.
- QUBE Director's Cut: Removed
- Bad Company 2 Complete: Switched to base game. Thanks for catching that Vietnam was only multiplayer, I missed that.
- Medal of Honor: Removed

New subtotal: $171.32

e:

Spring Break My Heart posted:

SFxT is a terrible, terrible product and I cant imagine theres anything close to an active userbase for it.

It's really that bad? drat, I wanted a Street Fighter game. Is Street Fighter V still hot garbage also? Ah well, I guess I can save the money for MvC: Infinite.

SFxT: Removed

New subtotal: $155.73

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 25, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Darkrenown posted:

Dancer, Crypt of the NecroDancer :eng101:

....oh my god. No one's pointed this out and that typo has been in there since when I wrote it up earlier this year. :negative:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

One Finger Death Punch
Hero Siege Complete
Skullgirls
Rochard
Portal Bundle
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Stardew Valley
ICEY
Rivals of Aether
Brothers in Arms Pack
Craft The World
Megabyte Punch
Creeper World 3
Bad Company 2 Bundle
Way of the Samurai 3
Medal of Honor
Dungeon Warfare
Salt and Sanctuary
The Dweller
Broforce
Hollow Knight

Halp!
SFxT is a terrible, terrible product and I cant imagine theres anything close to an active userbase for it.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

-Blackadder- posted:

One Finger Death Punch
Skullgirls
Rochard
Portal Bundle
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Stardew Valley
ICEY
Rivals of Aether
Brothers in Arms Pack
Craft The World
Megabyte Punch
Creeper World 3
Bad Company 2 Bundle
Dungeon Warfare
Salt and Sanctuary
Broforce
Hollow Knight

Got rid of some redundant and generally "worse" games

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
You can probably ditch Bad Company 2, too. I doubt it's very active anymore.

D&D Chronicles of Mystara is also probably pretty lame to play alone, so if you don't have anybody to play it with you can probably skip it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is Spore worth $5?

gently caress no.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

-Blackadder- posted:

One Finger Death Punch
Hero Siege Complete
Skullgirls
Rochard
Portal Bundle
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Stardew Valley
ICEY
Rivals of Aether
Brothers in Arms Pack
Craft The World
Megabyte Punch
Creeper World 3
Bad Company 2 Bundle
Way of the Samurai 3
Medal of Honor
Dungeon Warfare
Salt and Sanctuary
The Dweller
Broforce
Hollow Knight

Halp!

Craft the World is more of a puzzle game than a DF-like. It's got levels and campaigns that you progress through, starting over from scratch each time.
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara is not a new game. It's a remaster of a fairly old arcade game that even when it was new was a poor knock-off of Golden Axe/Double Dragon.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

suuma posted:

You can probably ditch Bad Company 2, too. I doubt it's very active anymore.

Honestly agreed. Bad Company 2i s my alltime favorite multiplayer game, but its pretty loving dead except for a hardcore holdout of incestuous playerbase (like many old games by now). i mean if you really want to play singleplayer or w/e which was OK but not great, sure I guess.

I would also say skip Megabyte Punch. And possibly ditch Dust, its a competent metroidvania but its story is cringe anime as gently caress, if you asked last year i'd say yeah go for it since its generally fun, but you already have Hollow Knight which is loving amazing

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
What are some of the better available FPSs of the past 6 or 7 years. I haven't played one in forever.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is Spore worth $5?

Yes and No. Great for making something hideous like this thing, but also look how many times in that video they get technical problems that screw up their save.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgChfrBsEaI

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

What are some of the better available FPSs of the past 6 or 7 years. I haven't played one in forever.

Depends what you're looking for in an FPS. Is Bioshock an FPS? If so, Prey and Dishonored are really good.

DOOM, and Wolfenstein: The New Order & The Old Blood are solid.

vvv This guy has a better list but go buy DOOM

suuma fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 25, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Doom 4, Wolfenstein The New Order, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Shadow Warrior 2, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Prey, Ziggurat, Far Cry Blood Dragon, STALKER

buy them all

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 25, 2017

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Grey Goo Definitive Edition is $2 on US Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Grey-Goo-Definitive-Online-Game/dp/B072QCSZ8J/ , this is probably a price error because the orig version is $4 on Amazon, pick it up!

It's a RTS in the vein of Command and Conquer, and it's pretty good. Multiplayer is dead but the campaign alone is worth $2 and you might get a kick out of skirmish.

The campaign's story is generic but presented really well; you get introduced to each side as the story progresses, culminating in a mission where you get to use the respective side's superunit. The Goo faction is really cool and plays unlike most RTS factions, it has no buildings, just "Mother Goo"'s you can move around and spawn units off of, but you can use itself as a weapon and just roll over armies eating them with a huge mass of nanotechnology goo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Xaris posted:

Honestly agreed. Bad Company 2i s my alltime favorite multiplayer game, but its pretty loving dead except for a hardcore holdout of incestuous playerbase (like many old games by now). i mean if you really want to play singleplayer or w/e which was OK but not great, sure I guess.

I would also say skip Megabyte Punch. And possibly ditch Dust, its a competent metroidvania but its story is cringe anime as gently caress, if you asked last year i'd say yeah go for it since its generally fun, but you already have Hollow Knight which is loving amazing

I recently played Bad Company 2 for the first time and found the singleplayer to be (like you said) decent enough. I'd say that for $4.99 you could do worse.

God drat are the sound effects great in that game though.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

suuma posted:

Depends what you're looking for in an FPS. Is Bioshock an FPS? If so, Prey and Dishonored are really good.

DOOM, and Wolfenstein: The New Order & The Old Blood are solid.

Xaris posted:

Doom 4, Wolfenstein The New Order, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Shadow Warrior 2, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Prey, Ziggurat, Far Cry Blood Dragon, STALKER

buy them all
Thank you, and please note all games that are similar to BioShock so I can avoid them like the plague.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is Spore worth $5?

The creature creator is fun to mess around with, but every other part of the game sucks out loud.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

-Blackadder- posted:

Thanks, this is definitely a good start.

- Hero Siege: Switched to the cheap ($0.83) base game to see if I end up liking it first.
- Street Fighter X Tekken: I think the bad reviews are due to GFWL but there are patches that fix it apparently, and the discount was hard to pass up.
- QUBE Director's Cut: Removed
- Bad Company 2 Complete: Switched to base game. Thanks for catching that Vietnam was only multiplayer, I missed that.
- Medal of Honor: Removed

New subtotal: $171.32

e:

It's really that bad? drat, I wanted a Street Fighter game. Is Street Fighter V still hot garbage also? Ah well, I guess I can save the money for MvC: Infinite.

SFxT: Removed

New subtotal: $155.73

It's easier said then done, but if you can group your wanted games into one of the following categories, only buy the ones in the first category this sale, and buy the ones in the second during the winter sale:
1. "I'm definitely going to play this within the next 6 months!!!"
2. "I really want to play this, but not sure that I'll get to it in the next 6 months"

Otherwise you'll get a massive backlog (or make your existing one larger), and most likely run out of time to play them all :(

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Thank you, and please note all games that are similar to BioShock so I can avoid them like the plague.
ehhhhhh Prey is sort of like bioshock but it's really more a system shock game and just oozes atmosphere, and backstory. if you dont like rpg-horror-atmosphere heavy elements in your game with less emphasis on precise fast paced shootmans you can skip it

rest are very good

definitely get Wolfenstein, Doom, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, and Metro Last Light+2033 at the very minimum.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone know if the port of Final Fantasy IX is any good?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Really good and even semi-playable with a mouse, altho you should still use a controller.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I bought that stupid loving Sherlock Holmes game on recommendation and UGH it's kind of a lot of fun.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

It's so insanely good it's almost not even a loving port. It's incredibly good.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's so insanely good it's almost not even a loving port. It's incredibly good.

does it let you speed up the battle loading

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've picked up a few games so far but have only played three:

Wuppo - every bit as good as advertised.

No Man's Sky - my expectations were suitably low and at least in the early going they have been exceeded. It's very polished, very pretty. My 8 year old loves it.

Deathstate - this game is loving amazing. I am terrible at twin stick shooters and at bullet hell shooters but when they're packaged like this I can't say no. I'm really enjoying this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bringing back an old effort-post of mine about Roguelikes, my favorite genre!

Dungeons of Dredmor, a clunky classic for 2.49$. It's funny, its skill-tree hasn't been duplicated by anyone else yet, and it brought roguelikes to the mainstream. I also here there's a tiny tiny chance it might be getting a new patch or something? Fingers crossed!

Risk of Rain, my new favorite Spelunky-esque game. 2.49$, has great dynamic difficulty and cool items - you try to clear five stages and their bosses before the timer reaches the insane difficulties, steadily getting stronger - or dying. I love it a lot!

Dredmor isn't just a fun roguelike, it's a genuinely fun game that'll make you laugh almost every run. And Risk of Rain's soundtrack is so good I keep coming back to it just to listen. $5 for both games is a ridiculous steal

• Locked thread