Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just call them Asian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toast Museum posted:

No. As far as I've ever heard, using "Indian" as a catchall for South Asians of any nationality is not appropriate.
It doesn't feel appropriate to me either ...

The man himself on a similar issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5OyGlLS-g

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Don't call Pakistanis Indian, and TJ Miller is exactly as famous as TJ Miller's ever going to be. I appreciate that he wants to do different things, but let's not pretend like Silicon Valley was holding him back.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
The correct term for all the people from the Indian subcontinent is "desi" if you wanna get technical.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think at this point all I really want is for them to get out of that house and somewhere new. The whole Silicon Valley culture is ripe for satire but I think they've gone far enough now with this level of start-up culture.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Don't call Pakistanis Indian

Huh, I always thought that was an appropriate term, but actually looking it up it sounds like they do find that offensive.

I also, for the longest time, thought that Eskimo was also the correct name to use, like Sioux or Inuit or whatever.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
It says right here his parents are Indian

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I mean, you don't have to be in good movies to make a shitload of money, just in a bunch of them. Which, if that's what Miller is going for, leaving the show is absolutely the smart move.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

There is some serious beef between Pakistan and India. I would compare it to other geopolitical beef but I'm not nearly familiar enough with any of them to do it without potentially insulting more parties. Bottom line is just don't confuse the two.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lol:

Alright, you're a pretty good troll after all.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

404notfound posted:

There is some serious beef between Pakistan and India. I would compare it to other geopolitical beef but I'm not nearly familiar enough with any of them to do it without potentially insulting more parties. Bottom line is just don't confuse the two.

Just do what the British media does, and refer to them as Asian.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phenotype posted:

I also, for the longest time, thought that Eskimo was also the correct name to use, like Sioux or Inuit or whatever.

It sort of is, depending on the exact context. Canadian and Greenlandic groups much prefer to be called Inuit, but Eskimo as a term also includes other non-Inuit groups in Alaska and Russia.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

Just do what the British media does, and refer to them as Asian.
Its pretty much what every British person does, because there are more immigrants from the Indian subcontinent in Britain than from East/South East Asia.

That said, its well worth telling anyone from India or Pakistan that "my favourite Pakistani cricketer is Sachin Tendulkar". Guaranteed to go over well regardless of where they are from.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phenotype posted:

Pakistan and India are both part of the Indian sub-continent if I remember correctly.

Uh....
You don't get paid more for being in "good" movies

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bring back old gbs posted:

For real. Miller could probably just get cast in poo poo movies forever and be able to live just fine.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

EugeneJ posted:

I'm thinking the end of the show will be Richard and Bighead parallel to Gavin and Peter Gregory, with both men falling upward but Bighead doing it in an ethical manner

Richard's going to lose his goddamn mind

But yeah, the show is starting to get stale for me a bit too - Mike Judge probably is going for "if this ever gets syndicated, people watching a random episode should get resolution at the end of that same episode" which makes sense, but is lame

Who even watches things in syndication these days? It's all about the binge.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Pakistan and India are both part of the Indian sub-continent if I remember correctly.

Irish people live on the British Isles; God help you if you call an Irishman "British" tho

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

of course you do, more money equals better than

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ready Player One is going to be awesome :colbert:

(For reals, it's an awesome book that Steven Spielberg is directing)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm pretty sure you do get paid more for being in good (or at least heavily-grossing) movies, but my point was you may not continue to get movie roles if everything you star in is a complete disaster.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

blunt posted:

Ready Player One is going to be awesome :colbert:

(For reals, it's an awesome book that Steven Spielberg is directing)

Ready Player One felt a little too much like an "only 80s kids will remember this!" listicle, but apart from that aspect of it, I enjoyed it. If nothing else, Spielberg is the right guy for nailing that particular cultural zeitgeist.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Phenotype posted:

I'm pretty sure you do get paid more for being in good (or at least heavily-grossing) movies, but my point was you may not continue to get movie roles if everything you star in is a complete disaster.

Pretty sure their point was that 'good' and heavily grossing are not the same. Miller is in a shitload of high grossing films/franchises but he's not necessarily in many 'good' movies.

But he's also given several interviews in defense of popular, general audience movies that may or may not be 'good' so I also don't think he gives a poo poo about whether or not Silicon Valley fans like the twelfth installment of Yogi Bear or whatever.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

I watched Mike and Dave need wedding dates (don't watch it. It's irredeemably bad) yesterday and Kumails part in that was...Uh.

Uhhhhmazing? It was awesome don't be a snob

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Ready Player One is a loving awful book. Spielberg might be able to spin some gold out of it, though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Comrade Fakename posted:

Ready Player One is a loving awful book. Spielberg might be able to spin some gold out of it, though.

Spielberg is removing all references from things he worked on in the movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Nothing about that list of movies suggests they'll be complete disasters. What are you basing it on? Titles?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Comrade Fakename posted:

I agree. A few friends told me I HAD to read it since it was the greatest book ever. It was basically "Random 80s reference, random 90s reference, random 80s reference, etc". Had they been subtle, clever references it could have been cool, but it was literally just reference after reference just to have them there.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phenotype posted:

True for Tom Cruise types but I don't think TJ Miller is a backend points kinda celebrity, so he just gets a big payday up front regardless of whether Emoji Movie is a smash success or not. And as long as he's a side guy and not a leading man nobody will ever really blame his presence for a movie tanking.

this is bring back old gbs's tj miller hot take

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like there really shouldn't be anymore Silicon Valley.

I mean honestly the only way there can be a show is if the gang is unsuccessful/startup phase. If they ever get successful then the show has to end. But now after 3 seasons of like...success and then dumb failure to reset them to square one for next season's cycle of success then failure

I think the show should've either pivoted into being a show about them operating in the tech world as a corporate business, instead of having to crash and burn to be the scrappy startup guys like for the 5th time

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
My guess is that they'll do a forensic examination of the Hoolicon app and find the malware, but *also* find that Keenan, in a bid to impress Hooli, illegally used ~The Algorithm~ without permission to smooth things out, implicating both companies in criminal malfeasance, but *Action Jack* simply offers to pay Pied Piper a massive amount of money to *never have to hear about them ever again*, contingent on keeping all details of the deal secret.

The team is elated that they'll never have to see or work with Richard ever again, until he tanks the deal by leaking the story to CodeRag (since that's the only thing he knows how to do), leaving them open to ruinous litigation, because the deal will permanently jeopardize people recognizing his ~genius~. Season 5 starts and abruptly ends with Jared smothering Richard with a pillow, screaming "Poop Fare!?!??!?" at the top of his lungs until he stops moving.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Uhhhhmazing? It was awesome don't be a snob

Kumail was. The movie was not.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Since it's clear that they're running out of gas with the current set-up, I hope Richard ends up getting hired by Hooli in an executive position, possibly after Jack Barker gets ousted or is forced to bring him on. He's already on the road to becoming a ruthless corporate monster who will do anything to get his vision done, and the cracks in the Pied Piper gang are already forming.

Medullah posted:

I agree. A few friends told me I HAD to read it since it was the greatest book ever. It was basically "Random 80s reference, random 90s reference, random 80s reference, etc". Had they been subtle, clever references it could have been cool, but it was literally just reference after reference just to have them there.
I hate how "reference as entertainment" is still so prevalent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Ready Player One" is the technogeek hipster's "Atlas Shrugged."

Who is Wade Owen Watts?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ready player one is annoying nerd culture enthusiast's wank rag.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

splifyphus posted:

That's not Epicureanism, that's hedonism for babbys. Pleasure and pain are simply relative points on the spectrum of sensation. Pursue pleasure and your life will be filled with pain, accept/pursue pain and it turns into pleasure etc etc

Epicurus figured that poo poo out and recommended a very simple life with minimal aesthetic/sensory contrasts for maximum contentment. You can learn all of this simply by skimming Wikipedia.

Thanks for sperging out on a post I made over a month ago. Sometimes people simply things in examples rather than regurgitating half a a Wikipedia article on the off chance someone gets there metaphysical jimmies rustled.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

get that OUT of my face posted:

Since it's clear that they're running out of gas with the current set-up, I hope Richard ends up getting hired by Hooli in an executive position, possibly after Jack Barker gets ousted or is forced to bring him on. He's already on the road to becoming a ruthless corporate monster who will do anything to get his vision done, and the cracks in the Pied Piper gang are already forming.

I hate how "reference as entertainment" is still so prevalent.

I have a hard time seeing Richard get brought on by Jack Barker, given their history, but I can easily see them coming to some kind of clash after both the keynote speech when up in flames, and Richard's app met critical mass at Hoolicon. That combination of events sounds like it could be drat interesting as the season ender if the board finds out about both events, actually.

Especially if Keenan Feldspar gets thrown under the bus for the keynote.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm really hoping it's that some people had older phones and the VR app caused them to overheat and explode.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I hope they up end the formula. They need to mix it up or end it before it goes all Dexter.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I hope they actually succeed and move on to the next stage in startup life. You know, what they had just before Jack Barker was introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jeoh posted:

I hope they actually succeed and move on to the next stage in startup life. You know, what they had just before Jack Barker was introduced.

This has a BUNCH of comedy gold in it. The startup I work for transitioned into the post-Series B phase this past quarter, where we have a nice new space and are in a hiring spat. That stuff alone is ripe with potential, like dealing with the dumb infrastructure left by previous tennants in the new space or interviewing loving weirdos.

There's also random dumb poo poo that happens: my company hired a consultant friend of the CEO, and eventually this off-site guy was tasked with developing a data analysis pipeline. Turns out this consultant doesn't know poo poo, so he hired ANOTHER consultant, and between the two of these guys they couldn't deliver anything functional after three months; I built a minimal functional pipe this past week in 20 hours of wall-clock time.

• Locked thread