Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

Move over, Ramirez

Don't talk about my city like you know a drat thing, you vapid little twat.
And while we're at it, don't pretend that you remotely like Lincoln you neonazi shill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is what Ramirez genuinely thinks the public is clamoring for.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Been lurking both this and the British cartoons thread recently. Why is it that American political cartoons (either left or right) are so much worse than British in almost every way? Not funny, lazy art, over labeling, obvious and not-clever concepts.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Illinois is actually pretty rad, Garrison.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
If Garrison ever had a good Chicago dog and watched the Packers get hosed in Soldier Field, it might cure him of his nazi antics

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

duz posted:

And also when you're not the leader.

If Nancy Pelosi isn't the leader of the democrats, why do Republicans keep loudly insisting she is?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Been lurking both this and the British cartoons thread recently. Why is it that American political cartoons (either left or right) are so much worse than British in almost every way? Not funny, lazy art, over labeling, obvious and not-clever concepts.

Amongst other things, we follow a lot of "Wingnut Welfare" artists who realized that, as long as they said what their readers/publishers wanted to hear, they never needed to put in any effort. There's also the other extreme with syndication and figuring "bland and obvious" is the easiest way to guarantee sales. We also get some gems by lunatics who are the only cartoonist their regional paper can find, or put directly online without concern for sales or sanity.

Great av, by the way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Because we've been doing politoons for longer than your country has existed.

As you can see, we used to be as poo poo at it as well. Give it a few centuries, you'll be alright.

(E: not to say that we started getting better in 1628, of course.

)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 24, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I remember someone months ago in this thread (or maybe the 2016 version?) gave an answer that involved the differences in the employment model for American and British editorial cartoonists, but I don't remember it well enough to get specific and I can't find the post. Maybe someone else (or the person who posted it) can find it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

This is what Ramirez genuinely thinks the public is clamoring for.
Republican voters were though right? I mean, sometimes not knowing that Obamacare is the same thing as the ACA that keeps them in health insurance, but still.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

1915 lady is dope as gently caress

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Step aside, pops!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

My Face When posted:

Speaking of vegan whatever happened to the vegan nazi cartoonist?

If you mean Stephanie McMillan, she seems to have left her Web site in favor of Twitter and Patreon.

Abyssal Squid posted:

^^ "I'm a dense motherfucker" or more accurately "why are you caring about this thing when I didn't notice you caring about it earlier"

Hey, go easy on the guy. Apparently his only source of news is a newspaper, so he probably only heard about Hillary's e-mails.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
who will think of the rocks

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Fulchrum posted:

If Nancy Pelosi isn't the leader of the democrats, why do Republicans keep loudly insisting she is?

Gee, I wonder why this group of chronic, dysfunctional liars keeps insisting that something that isn't true actually is. We should take them seriously this time. Sure, they were wrong every other time in the last 20 years, but maybe they'll be right this time.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

A lot of British political cartoons are bloody awful. People looking like they melted, intellectual bum jokes, political in-jokes that you only get if you went to public school, no actual point beyond "politicians are sleazy."They look clever if you are used to the very obvious American cartoons, but they are dumb in a different way.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Gee, I wonder why this group of chronic, dysfunctional liars keeps insisting that something that isn't true actually is. We should take them seriously this time. Sure, they were wrong every other time in the last 20 years, but maybe they'll be right this time.

He's referencing this.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Edit: ah, that's why I couldn't find the orihinal. I was searching the wrong headline and the wrong site.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Tommy from Rugrats grew up to be a prick to the environment.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

GyroNinja posted:

He's referencing this.

Welp, looks like I'm eating crow, with a side of poeslaw.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Abyssal Squid posted:

McKee is absolutely the most hateful, no question about it:

He's the yin to Chuck Asay's yang, incapable of drawing anyone that isn't frothing with rage and gritting their teeth into nubs.

McKee did have that one interesting cartoon where elephants are trying to break Romney out of storage.

otherwise he is a garbage monster.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

You never specified that it should be repealed for something better. you got your loving wish and here it is. Oh wait, no its so bad that not even a government that is forced to literally kiss the presidents rear end lest he get cranky can't even get this poo poo to look like it is not pure evil. OH WELL.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Kurtofan posted:

who will think of the rocks

The rocks don't give a poo poo, they see time differently.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The New Yorker cartoons are ok, although hardly always political. I feel as if in the US, political cartooning is for some reason considered the lowest form of cartooning and attracts the same. Much like the trades when comparing the US and Europe. Hell, even Penny Arcade has had a go at how shoddy political cartoons are many years ago: https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/04/01/the-way-of-all-flesh

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What party does Illinois have as governor?

WAIT WAIT IGNORE THAT QUESTION MADIGAN IS BADIGAN

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Pembroke Fuse posted:

The New Yorker cartoons are ok, although hardly always political. I feel as if in the US, political cartooning is for some reason considered the lowest form of cartooning and attracts the same. Much like the trades when comparing the US and Europe. Hell, even Penny Arcade has had a go at how shoddy political cartoons are many years ago: https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/04/01/the-way-of-all-flesh

i think its like all those terrible op ed authors in permanent gigs. it reflects the low quality of the people willing to pump out hateful garbage continuously.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/syndicalisms/status/878491613974085634

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

McKee did have that one interesting cartoon where elephants are trying to break Romney out of storage.

otherwise he is a garbage monster.

Yeah that's why I don't say he's "the worst" because sometimes he points his raging misanthropy-boner at a deserving target without collateral damage, and cranks out a decent cartoon.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Since his arms are free, you'd think Illinois-Man would just reach down and untie his legs. I guess Ben is saying the good folks of rural Illinois aren't very bright.

This is only the third cartoon Sargent has made this year.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

duz posted:

And also when you're not the leader.

That's literally her job title. House Minority Leader.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

To explain some of this:

"Gonski" is short for the schools funding package proposed by in the Gonski review. The original version was under Gillard and a new "Gonski 2.0" passed the Senate.

"Finkel Energy Review" on energy security came out and is opposed by Abbott because coal.

The fence: Parliament House was designed with sloping lawns on top of it so the general public can walk over the politicians as a symbol of the relationship between government and the people. Now it's fenced off and out-of-bounds for security concerns, also symbolic.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

This is because you want it to gently caress over people even more, isn't it, Delonas?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

holy loving poo poo

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

holy loving poo poo

Yeah, that's a doozy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hello there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
:eyepop:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:staredog:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
God hates black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

code:
A child of flesh is loathsome and ill-tempered. But for what they lack, Karras has forged a child of metal that is constant, and true. I am that child.

The flesh is imperfect, it is unclean, it putrefies, but I am forged in The Builder's image: without... flesh.

Fire is The Builder's purification. Blessed are those who are born of the fire. The flesh is sinful. Woe to those who are born of it.

Blessed are those who have boilers, for they carry with them the purifying flame, and were made in The Builder's own image. 

Blessed are the metal ones, for they were born of fire, and they alone are sinless.

• Locked thread