Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think after I beat SB I'm going to do PVP and Gold Saucer and try to create the blingest possible glamour to go with one of the senor sabotender weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
theoretical effort post about how Thordan and Zenos are both reflections of potential paths the WOL could take with their incredible ever growing power and influence

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordiceius posted:

Take your time and enjoy yourself. There's no rush. Everything will still be waiting for you when you arrive.

FFXIV is about the journey, not the destination.

Tell that to dungeon groups. I've caused a couple of wipes because they didn't realize the healer was still watching the boss cutscene. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My god these DPS queues loving suck. Makes me want to take up DRK from 60 even though I'm scared of tanking because of the whole DPS meta thing, not even bother with doing roulettes on my 70 RDM.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 25, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ciaphas posted:

My god these DPS queues loving suck. Makes me want to take up DRK from 60 even though I'm scared of tanking because of the whole DPS meta thing, not even bother with doing roulettes on my 70 RDM.

There's nothing wrong with staying in grit and going a moderate pace if you're doing 4-mans. Hell, even pubbing 24-man or 8-man ex trials I was more than happy to sit in defensive stance because I didn't know if I could count on my healers. Don't let the meta actually influence what you're doing unless you're in a progression static.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Wait SMN's AF3 doesn't have prop wings? Truly they've ruined everything that was once good about summoner. The lame horn I could deal with but this is the last straw.

macfam fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 25, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, most people will appreciate you being a bit slower over you getting everyone killed. I've flat forgot to swap over to Sword Oath during some bosses in 4 mans because truthfully it doesn't matter all that much.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I realized early on that DPS queues would be guttertrash, but that tank/healer queues would be the exact opposite. So I'm leveling a DPS job first, gobbling up all the sweet MSQ and sidequest XP, and leaving the queue trolling for astrologian. I hope by the time both jobs are 70 the queue will have settled down some and I can level black mage or something else.

It probably won't, but I can dream.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that's what I did, leveled MCH with the main quest and side quest XP, sucking up the queue times for the single mandatory runs of stuff, and now I'm just leveling up PLD since gently caress waiting in 50 minute DPS queues.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

UHD posted:

I realized early on that DPS queues would be guttertrash, but that tank/healer queues would be the exact opposite. So I'm leveling a DPS job first, gobbling up all the sweet MSQ and sidequest XP, and leaving the queue trolling for astrologian. I hope by the time both jobs are 70 the queue will have settled down some and I can level black mage or something else.

...In retrospect, this is a lot more sensible than leveling up in conjurer first planning on white mage.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

UHD posted:

Thats what I'm doing with monk. I'll level AST or DRK next to actually get quick queues and gear for the other classes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

...In retrospect, this is a lot more sensible than leveling up in conjurer first planning on white mage.

honestly i wouldn't worry about that kind of thing for your first job going through the entire game, the armory bonus for leveling a job at a lower level than your highest job is a 100% boost from levels 1-60 which is pretty drat substantial and you've got stuff like palace of the dead and pvp and maybe FATEs that can get you your dps exp without having to worry about dungeon queues

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brother Entropy posted:

honestly i wouldn't worry about that kind of thing for your first job going through the entire game, the armory bonus for leveling a job at a lower level than your highest job is a 100% boost from levels 1-60 which is pretty drat substantial and you've got stuff like palace of the dead and pvp and maybe FATEs that can get you your dps exp without having to worry about dungeon queues

Fair enough, and I'm still in the free trial. Probably going to bite the bullet at this point.

One quibble: it's impossible to take my character seriously when the cloth gloves she's wearing are oven mitts. Somehow, that irks me more in cutscenes than half the pants she's gotten being miniskirts.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Fair enough, and I'm still in the free trial. Probably going to bite the bullet at this point.

One quibble: it's impossible to take my character seriously when the cloth gloves she's wearing are oven mitts. Somehow, that irks me more in cutscenes than half the pants she's gotten being miniskirts.

it could be worse, if you were rolling a physical dps job you'd probably be on your 3rd or 4th subligar by now

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

WAR AF3 is really good.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The oven mitts are almost fitting when you're starting out. You're not the warrior of light just yet - you have to scrimp and save for whatever arms and armor you can afford. If oven mitts are the best you can get ahold of, then so be it!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm only at 64 so far, but dark knight's changes are good imo. It's not near as busy as it was before and seems a lot easier to play.

Shirk is also pretty useful for tank swaps.

Also susanX is super easy. Half our team went in blind and we cleared in one shot.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cythereal posted:

No actually as a first character I will totally recommend either a tank or healer. Reason being is that there is a A WHOLE LOT of story dungeons and duties that you need to clear to progress and you want that queue to be instant. It'll literally save you like a days worth of waiting in queue given how long dps queues are taking.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No actually as a first character I will totally recommend either a tank or healer. Reason being is that there is a A WHOLE LOT of story dungeons and duties that you need to clear to progress and you want that queue to be instant. It'll literally save you like a days worth of waiting in queue given how long dps queues are taking.

Eh. You're going to be questing far, far more than dungeoning if you follow the MSQ, and a dps class/job will do that faster.

Also you'll look like less of a dweeb in cutscenes (results may vary).

though imo the best advice is the same as it's always been: play whatever makes you happy :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's nothing wrong with staying in grit and going a moderate pace if you're doing 4-mans. Hell, even pubbing 24-man or 8-man ex trials I was more than happy to sit in defensive stance because I didn't know if I could count on my healers. Don't let the meta actually influence what you're doing unless you're in a progression static.

You say that but man all I ever seemed to hear from goons when tanking back in the day was how much they hated tanks who stayed in Grit or slowpulled, equated them with honest healers and such.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also I just had a go at the final boss and uhhhhhh :stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:

:fap:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also if you're on Excalibur, saying you need to do a dungeon for MSQ will almost always get you a tank or healer buddy to make your queues faster. Right now things are a little crazy because people are burning through Stormblood and dealing with their own MSQs, but I still try to make an effort to help out newbies whenever I see em :angel:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I love this last trial but wish that my co-healer wouldn't die constantly and use healer lb3 when only 1 person is dead.

I may have to grab some friends to finish this one.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

You say that but man all I ever seemed to hear from goons when tanking back in the day was how much they hated tanks who stayed in Grit or slowpulled, equated them with honest healers and such.

That's the difference between the a few content patches in and new expansion was just less than a week ago. Few people are going to get mad over tanks that take it slow at this stage I think.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

What the heck, where did the Zenos hate come from. Zenos is awesome; his voice actor is particularly perfect for capturing the "guy who is bored of being way better than everyone" tone. Feels like he could be a good One-Punch Man villain.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SwissArmyDruid posted:

WAR AF3 is really good.

Wow, that is a hot look. I'm almost at 70 myself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I nailed down what makes Red Mage feel kind of flat to me: I'm comparing it to Monk.

Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but when I look at Monk's combos, I think the different steps involved are a lot more interesting than "which color mana do I need." Sometimes Monk uses Dragon Kick as the first hit to debuff the enemy's bashing resistance; sometimes you use Twin Snakes as the second hit to refresh your damage buff; sometimes you use Demolish as the last hit to refresh a DoT. And critically, they all have different durations, so while your combo is ultimately fairly predictable, it's not the same every time you do it.

I think what I wish more than anything is that Verfire and Verstone, and Veraero and Verthunder, were actually different spells rather than just being identical spells except for which kind of mana they give. I realize that probably wouldn't work given the class's current design, but it's the reason it feels so flat to me. (Well, that, and some variation in that melee combo would be really welcome--as much as I love doing some melee burst, just hitting the same three attacks in the exact same order every time is kind of uninspiring).

Luckily the job has a lot more going for it, specifically Vercure and Verraise, but I dunno. It bums me out that I find it so uninspiring to play because it's cool and sometimes I think I'm one of like three people in the world who just can't enjoy a cool thing.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

You should consider giving Samurai a shot, it has more of what you're talking about where you have various routes to the same end goal (your charges), but depending on whether you need to refresh buffs, plant a debuff, or deal AOE damage you'll mix up your approach. It's pretty fun and varied and as a Monk main who enjoys it for the reasons you outlined I find it really refreshing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

You should consider giving Samurai a shot, it has more of what you're talking about where you have various routes to the same end goal (your charges), but depending on whether you need to refresh buffs, plant a debuff, or deal AOE damage you'll mix up your approach. It's pretty fun and varied and as a Monk main who enjoys it for the reasons you outlined I find it really refreshing.

Yeah, I think I will. I'm slightly hung up on Samurai's general lack of utility--I'm usually not the selfish DPS class guy, I like having a few utility buttons--but Samurai's overall playstyle seems like it'd really be my thing. Maybe I'll level that to 60 and then decide whether to take that or Red Mage into Stormblood.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I really enjoyed Summoner a lot in Heavensward but at 70 my DPS is just coming up well short of what I am hearing and expecting for full 310 left side. What do I need to be during bahamut's uptime? Should I not be applying dots, then festering and ruin 4 otherwise outside of bahamut?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Samurai's utility is doing crazy amounts of damage and having some really good area of effect abilities.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

this caused me physical pain

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

my poor face

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It must be really humiliating for you to get owned that hard, I'm sorry.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Would someone unfamiliar with the game look at Yda and Lyse and reasonably conclude that they're the same character? Probably not.

Would someone unfamiliar with the game look at Leather Vest Lyse and Flowing Monk Dress Lyse and reasonably conclude that they're the same character?

Of course you can draw a line from Yda to Lyse. I'm saying that Lyse is, in practice, a totally new character designed to go through Stormblood alongside you and learn and develop (much like Estinien/Ysayle), and Square decided to retcon Yda into Lyse rather than killing Yda off and going through an introduction process with New-Lyse. This was made especially apparent when it turned out all the Scions, save you, knew all along that Yda was secretly Lyse, saving them the trouble of having to go through several scenes where the Scions deal with the revelation of this years-long deception and deal with the grief of Yda's death.

Lyse was fine to me, but it was clear to me since the beginning that Lyse's character was created co's they wanted a new blond waifu to replace Minfilia.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Martman posted:

What the heck, where did the Zenos hate come from. Zenos is awesome; his voice actor is particularly perfect for capturing the "guy who is bored of being way better than everyone" tone. Feels like he could be a good One-Punch Man villain.

Yeah. Zenos is the most villain-rear end-villain, it's great. As dumb as it is, there's something I love about the whole "you get stronger, I want to fight you more." I like him a lot more then a certain other "my childhood was hard so now I'm mean a total sadist" villain.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think I will. I'm slightly hung up on Samurai's general lack of utility--I'm usually not the selfish DPS class guy, I like having a few utility buttons--but Samurai's overall playstyle seems like it'd really be my thing. Maybe I'll level that to 60 and then decide whether to take that or Red Mage into Stormblood.

Monk didn't have much utility before either. It had dragon kicks int debuff, mantra, and that's it.

I say this as a Monk main still to this day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zenos is a good villain because he manages to be a contrast with the Warrior of Light regardless of who or how you play the Warrior of Light. He's an absurdly strong ridiculously powerful rear end in a top hat whose eventual end goal is just to fight stronger and stronger things, which is exactly what the WoL does. (And Stormblood plays up the characterization by having the WoL hype as hell to get into a good fight in addition to giving you a bunch of dialogue options that further stress that.) His whole "we're not so different, you and I" talk is fair because the dude unironically isn't that different from the WoL except that he's playing for the opposite time. He probably got as strong as he did by spending twenty hours grinding Krile Extreme and Y'sholta Savage to get the rock-rear end gear to kick rear end in a cutscene. They even explain that as soon as he went to Doma (i.e: When Stormblood was released) he instantly job-changed to Samurai and started playing that exclusively which is why he uses katanas. He's a more accurate rival fight than the Warriors of Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

He's a more accurate rival fight than the Warriors of Darkness.

God drat was that an anticlimax.