Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Any useful or interesting standup resource you guys know of? Maybe a cool message board or whatever, for getting info on what's going on in the comedy world - only thing I sometimes use is the /standup subreddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Whatever city you're in almost definitely has a Facebook group full of bookings and drama.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Yeah, Facebook is where I go to stay up to date on all the juicy gossip of the local comedy scene. Oh, and for mic and showcase info. If you know where one mic is in your area, there should be a regular comic who frequents the place who can point you in the right direction.

Unless you mean something else, in which case be more specific.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Yeah mine (Scotland) is pretty much just poo poo chat, one-step-above-open-spot guys punching down on new acts and rape accusations.

On the other hand it's also where all the gigs are so

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
There has definitely been drama in mine but always petty poo poo that dies down. Though one comedian did steal from another on a karaoke night, so there is that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Optimist with doubt posted:

There has definitely been drama in mine but always petty poo poo that dies down. Though one comedian did steal from another on a karaoke night, so there is that.

Jokes or actual stuff?

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Like money from their purse.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Like money from their purse.

Since it is the comedian thread, I figured it could be either and treated with equal seriousness.

Comics are such poo poo people.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Seattle-PDX drama about to be huge. Rape allegations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Seattle-PDX drama about to be huge. Rape allegations.

A lot of my closest friends in comedy are women and I don't know how they put up with all of the poo poo that they do.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

i once stole $20 from a heckler's purse while she was in the bathroom but i got caught by another crowd member and had to put it back. it was a weird weird set at after that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

freud mayweather posted:

i once stole $20 from a heckler's purse while she was in the bathroom but i got caught by another crowd member and had to put it back. it was a weird weird set at after that.

LOL! You gotta tell us about the set now

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

it was just 7 minutes of me getting on a high horse and trying to explain to her why she deserved for me to steal her money. and no one agreed because i was wrong.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

freud mayweather posted:

it was just 7 minutes of me getting on a high horse and trying to explain to her why she deserved for me to steal her money. and no one agreed because i was wrong.

well for what it's worth, i'm laughing now.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I feel like there was one comic who told you after your set why you were right. I also feel like he's the guy who by agreeing with you, made you realize how wrong you were.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Sataere posted:

I feel like there was one comic who told you after your set why you were right. I also feel like he's the guy who by agreeing with you, made you realize how wrong you were.

Comic: Man, she had it coming. More power to you, bro.

You: But you said human being on stage

I'm doing my first showcase later this month. I have no barometer for some of my jokes because I've been doing mostly-comic open mics. Any tips?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Your cheesy poo poo works better on non comics. Regular People laugh at the dumbest poo poo.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Comic: Man, she had it coming. More power to you, bro.

You: But you said human being on stage

I'm doing my first showcase later this month. I have no barometer for some of my jokes because I've been doing mostly-comic open mics. Any tips?

Best advice is to have fun. If you are having fun, your audience is more likely to be having fun.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

i got a shout out from mark normand and joe list on tuesdays with stories this week, which is the highlight of my 4 years in comedy.

(i know some people are on conan 4 years in, but i'm from new haven so highlights are few and far between.)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Who cares what other people do in four years. I'm still an open mic'er after four years. I'm breaking out in my late forties.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Who cares what other people do in four years. I'm still an open mic'er after four years. I'm breaking out in my late forties.

This. Getting recognized is always awesome. Time frame has nothing to do with it. It's not a sprint, it's s marathon.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Do you guys say curse words in your sets?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

vaginal facsimile posted:

Don't think I've ever seen a comedian performing for a 20s/30s crowd that didn't swear. It isn't required but you would stand out telling a high-energy story without a few.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I try not to unless it's part of the bit. A lot of young edgelord comics in this scene use it as a crutch and it's super obvious when they drop fucks and shits constantly in an attempt to make the joke hit harder.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Analytic Engine posted:

Don't think I've ever seen a comedian performing for a 20s/30s crowd that didn't swear. It isn't required but you would stand out telling a high-energy story without a few.

I've seen plenty of comics perform for 20s/30s something crowds that don't swear and they do fine. A good high energy story is all about the descriptors and swears make poor descriptors.

Swearing is weird for me. I try my best not to swear in my sets, but the longer I do this, the more I seem to swear. Probably because I swear a lot in real life.

I write a joke so that it can work clean and once it's there, if I don't have to work clean, the occasional swear creeps out. To date, I only have one joke that absolutely requires swearing and I want to scrap it for that reason, but I like it too much.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

i swear like crazy in my day to day, but i try to be conservative with my curses in stand-up so they don't become meaningless. my swears are very purposeful and deliberate.

unless i am at a really rowdy bar show and need to hold very short attention spans. then all bets are off.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

vaginal facsimile posted:

I'm out in Australia. You can't go a night without someone saying "oval office".

If my level of outrage for the bit calls for it, I'll swear in the clubs/late night gigs.
But I have clean sets and clean versions of some bits just in case I get a corporate gig.

THE 10 DAY LATER EDIT: Does anyone here do anything else on the side to try and boost their profile and exposure? Other than the usual Twitter/Facebook posts?

Are any of you doing youtube skits, writing, blogging? If so where have you had success?

I'm thinking of just starting a 1-2 times a week video where I talk/joke/yell into phone about current events just as a fun way to get topical humor out there when I can't get stage time.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 21, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Bompacho posted:

I'm out in Australia. You can't go a night without someone saying "oval office".

If my level of outrage for the bit calls for it, I'll swear in the clubs/late night gigs.
But I have clean sets and clean versions of some bits just in case I get a corporate gig.

THE 10 DAY LATER EDIT: Does anyone here do anything else on the side to try and boost their profile and exposure? Other than the usual Twitter/Facebook posts?

Are any of you doing youtube skits, writing, blogging? If so where have you had success?

I'm thinking of just starting a 1-2 times a week video where I talk/joke/yell into phone about current events just as a fun way to get topical humor out there when I can't get stage time.

Too bad edits don't show there is something new in here. I was just about to joke that apparently nobody books this thread.

I actually have a plan for more things I can do to make me more well rounded as a performer and try to develop a fan base. I just started a football website with a couple other goons to build up a writing portfolio. Unfortunately, it is eating into my comedy time. Eventually, we will add podcasts and such. And in a couple years, I hope to be able to commit to create a comedy sketch website.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Sataere posted:

I actually have a plan for more things I can do to make me more well rounded as a performer and try to develop a fan base. I just started a football website with a couple other goons to build up a writing portfolio. Unfortunately, it is eating into my comedy time. Eventually, we will add podcasts and such. And in a couple years, I hope to be able to commit to create a comedy sketch website.

Those are all pretty solid. I want to try a podcast down the track, time permitting.

A couple of weekends back I got to open for a Melbourne based Comedian. Decent crowd and solid laughs.

On the off chance, Are there any Aussie Comedians in here and have any of you ever competed in Raw?

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 9, 2017

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Hi, gang. Just checking in. I'm based in Sioux Falls, SD, and have been doing comedy for a little over two years. We've got a surprising number of really good comics, but this city can't keep a club open to save its life. We do the best we can.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

Hi, gang. Just checking in. I'm based in Sioux Falls, SD, and have been doing comedy for a little over two years. We've got a surprising number of really good comics, but this city can't keep a club open to save its life. We do the best we can.

How is the scene over there?

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Small, but resilient. About 15-20 comics of varying frequency. We're a pretty supportive group, too; we're always willing to help each other out on jokes/bookings/etc. It's probably because we can't afford to be cutthroat.

We're gearing up for our second comedy festival next year. Submissions are still open for three weeks, so if folks are interested I can drop a link.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

Small, but resilient. About 15-20 comics of varying frequency. We're a pretty supportive group, too; we're always willing to help each other out on jokes/bookings/etc. It's probably because we can't afford to be cutthroat.

We're gearing up for our second comedy festival next year. Submissions are still open for three weeks, so if folks are interested I can drop a link.

Go ahead and post. I know I'll be putting in submissions for a bunch of places soon, so I don't mind checking it out.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
http://www.siouxfallssnojamcomedyfest.com/

Here we are. The Sioux Falls Sno Jam Comedy Fest, Feb 15-17. Amazingly, the first one didn't have any snow.

Which other festivals are you applying for? I'd like to start getting my name out there (still need a decent video, though.)

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know of venues where they're okay with racist jokes?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The Apollo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

A Major Fucker posted:

Anyone know of venues where they're okay with racist jokes?

Twitter, 9gag, reddit

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

http://www.siouxfallssnojamcomedyfest.com/

Here we are. The Sioux Falls Sno Jam Comedy Fest, Feb 15-17. Amazingly, the first one didn't have any snow.

Which other festivals are you applying for? I'd like to start getting my name out there (still need a decent video, though.)

Haven't really decided quite yet. I'll start doing research soon.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
We ended up with just over 100 applicants, which we have to whittle down to 30. Since I asked to be involved this year, I get to watch the submission videos and make my picks.

15 videos in, and I already regret this decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

We ended up with just over 100 applicants, which we have to whittle down to 30. Since I asked to be involved this year, I get to watch the submission videos and make my picks.

15 videos in, and I already regret this decision.

I've never had to sit down and watch videos, but remember that you don't have to watch the whole thing. If they don't get a good laugh 30 seconds in, move to the next video. If it takes them their entire set to build to a good payoff, they aren't ready.

I'm amazed at how little effort people put into their clips. Three years in, I only have one clip I'm comfortable using and even though it has some small lulls, it has a lot of consistent laughter.

EDIT: Also, sorry for not submitting. My clip would have amazed you. :D