Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watch season one and two, then don't even bother with the rest.

Unrelated, I'm not usually big on Adult swim stuff but delocated is on Hulu and it's pretty great. Can't believe I sat on watching this for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

veni veni veni posted:

Watch season one and two, then don't even bother with the rest.

Unrelated, I'm not usually big on Adult swim stuff but delocated is on Hulu and it's pretty great. Can't believe I sat on watching this for so long.

I'll check it out, I'm out of stuff to watch and can't handle watching 30 rock for the 12th time

I saw School for Scoundrels which also has Jon Glaser and it was mildly entertaining. The supporting cast is great and somehow Matt Walsh looks 20 years younger despite it being made in 2011

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Delocated was great and it always shocked me every time it got another season, because I was under the impression that nobody watched it aside from stoners who forgot to change the channel after ATHF

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Season 6 uses a combination of ghost shows with re-enactment actors and found footage to tell the story. They somehow made a concept super up my alley very boring.

Yeah, Season 6 was shockingly dull. The best thing about AHS is the promo material, but seasons 1 + 2 are a great time at the movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, Season 6 was shockingly dull.

One thing they haven't quite done yet is to do a B-monster movie season. Like, set it in the woods at a summer camp or something and all the sudden a den of prehistoric giant spiders wake from hibernation and swarm the camp. Then Bigfoot shows up, something like that. They're too focused on every season having a ridiculously complex twisting and turning plot. I guess the ideas they can use are somewhat limited by budgetary concerns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The winning formula for the show has always been a bunch of wild mood swings and incident for its own sake, like a horror version of Boston Public. If they so chose, they could have done something really special and somber with season 6.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Basebf555 posted:

One thing they haven't quite done yet is to do a B-monster movie season. Like, set it in the woods at a summer camp or something and all the sudden a den of prehistoric giant spiders wake from hibernation and swarm the camp. Then Bigfoot shows up, something like that. They're too focused on every season having a ridiculously complex twisting and turning plot. I guess the ideas they can use are somewhat limited by budgetary concerns.
Rubber suits and CGI look loving terrible without a AAA movie-sized budget. I'm glad they haven't tried it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So everything I've heard about American Horror Story makes it sound like an entertaining trainwreck. Am I wrong?

Season 1 is good. Season 2 is great. Season 3, if you like high camp, then maybe you'll like it. I didn't.

Season 4 is an absolute mess.

Season 5 probably had the most fully realized story since season 2. I liked it. A lot of people didn't.

Season 6 was a stray from formula, I give a B for effort, and a D for execution.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

coyo7e posted:

Rubber suits and CGI look loving terrible without a AAA movie-sized budget. I'm glad they haven't tried it.

Hey now, I think they did fine with their rubber suit!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 1 is good. Season 2 is great. Season 3, if you like high camp, then maybe you'll like it. I didn't.

I like high camp but it's, like, thirty minutes of really funny scenes (most of them involving Kathy Bates) spread out across an entire season of nothing. It's not worth it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah there's probably a good fan edit of season 3 to be made, but watching it all is just soooooooo boring between the good scenes.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The first episode of GLOW is great

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm on episode five and it stays good. It's definitely going for an apatow vibe so if you're into that then watch it

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This is why movies will always be superior to TV shows

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The actual GLOW documentary on Netflix is also great.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Movies are terrible unless they're Hunt for Red October or Jurassic Park or Dredd 2012

Tv owns tho

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like high camp but it's, like, thirty minutes of really funny scenes (most of them involving Kathy Bates) spread out across an entire season of nothing. It's not worth it.

Yeah. Season 3's worst crime is that it's incredibly boring. It starts out really strong too, it's a shame.

That was the last season I actually finished. All the later seasons I'll watch half way through and completely lose interest.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I'm watching American Anarchist on netflix, it's a recent interview with the author of The Anarchist Cookbook. It's pretty interesting, you can tell some of the stuff he wrote makes him uncomfortable to look at today. The interviewer really sucks though and kinda keeps pushing the guy about the same thing, the quality drops off dramatically after the first half with some bullshit that feels like forced actions specifically for the interview to try to sell a story.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 24, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, Season 6 was shockingly dull. The best thing about AHS is the promo material, but seasons 1 + 2 are a great time at the movies.

Season 6's biggest problem is that the re-enactment outstays its welcome. Once they return to the manor to film a reality television show, the show degenerates into entertaining insanity.

Usually AHS's problem is the opposite. The season starts strong but then completely falls apart around the midway, obligatory Halloween episode. I wouldn't recommend watching seasons 3, 4, and 5 to anyone.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Basebf555 posted:

They're too focused on every season having a ridiculously complex twisting and turning plot.

This is exactly what I didn't like about ahs, there's just too much going on plot wise. The story is a convoluted mess.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
GLOW is really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

GLOW is really good.

:haw: "Vodka for dinner!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

Usually AHS's problem is the opposite. The season starts strong but then completely falls apart around the midway, obligatory Halloween episode. I wouldn't recommend watching seasons 3, 4, and 5 to anyone.

Even season 1 and 2 fall apart quickly, but they do it in a way that is really entertaining and hard to put down. 3 4 5 (I won't comment on 6 because I only saw a few episodes) fall apart in a way that makes them feel like an exhausting chore to watch.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
GLOW is good, Shimmer Lake is worthwhile.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I really liked season 1 of AHS because it was much more contained. At the end of the day it was about a dysfunctional family trying to stay together. So it always had that thread to hold it together. The other seasons never really had that. They'd all start off interesting enough but by the end of it there would be 50 stories going on and only like 3 of them would get wrapped up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Remulak posted:

GLOW is good, Shimmer Lake is worthwhile.

I really loved Shimmer Lake except for the really offputting thing it did where the twist in the first 10 minutes is insanely obvious but the movie seems to think it was remotely clever which... it really wasn't, the Sheriff is literally the only character that it would have made sense aside from the "wild card" option of having it somehow be the doofus Deputy

Didn't take away from my enjoyment per se, just kinda dumb.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I just kinda turned off my brain for that movie. I'm glad Adam pally is getting work tho

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

QuoProQuid posted:

Season 6's biggest problem is that the re-enactment outstays its welcome. Once they return to the manor to film a reality television show, the show degenerates into entertaining insanity.

It's the same problem really. 5 episodes of worthwhile ideas, 12 episodes of plot. I mean it's got other problems too but even the short for us tv seasons they do are too long

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I was expecting Alison Brie to be good in GLOW (and it's one of her better performances) but I hadn't seen Betty Gilpin in anything and she's pretty strong too.

Also liking a lot of the little wrestling in-jokes. (Chavo's Gym, the first trainer being Johnny "No Time For Pants" Mundo/Morrison, Awesome Kong playing a woman whose first line is "I don't know anything about wrestling!")

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah GLOW is really good so far.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I've found with AHS that the odd numbered seasons are at least watchable. The even numbered seasons are just a slog to get through and filled with bizarre and boring side plots that are tenuously connected to the main storyline.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Simplex posted:

I've found with AHS that the odd numbered seasons are at least watchable. The even numbered seasons are just a slog to get through and filled with bizarre and boring side plots that are tenuously connected to the main storyline.

2 is the best one though

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was expecting Alison Brie to be good in GLOW (and it's one of her better performances) but I hadn't seen Betty Gilpin in anything and she's pretty strong too.

I never heard of Gilpin until American Gods and she's maybe one of the biggest scene stealers I've seen in my entire life

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Sour Grapes is a pretty good documentary on Netflix. It's about some guy who made millions of dollars in fake fancy wine. I hate wine people so I was rooting for him the whole time.

Bill Koch is part of it and apparently billionaires have teams of personal private investigators just on staff for fun.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

drunken officeparty posted:

Sour Grapes is a pretty good documentary on Netflix. It's about some guy who made millions of dollars in fake fancy wine. I hate wine people so I was rooting for him the whole time.

Bill Koch is part of it and apparently billionaires have teams of personal private investigators just on staff for fun.

That guy was also the subject of an episode of American Greed. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3o1r2w It's pretty amazing how easily he defrauded wine assholes for tens of millions of dollars and how long he managed to continue defrauding people after it became known he was a scammer. If he wasn't an idiot living far beyond his means that was desperate for his next cash infusion, he could've rode off into the sunset before his reputation caught up with him.

Also it was hilarious how the person who pulled the first loose thread that unraveled his scam was basically a catlady angry that he had a boys club where they would open a ton of bottles in a single night and send out super crass emails describing all the wine.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 25, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Holy poo poo, I remember that episode. American Greed owns.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

drunken officeparty posted:

People who spend 10k on a bottle of wine deserve to get defrauded. I hope he personally pissed in every single bottle he sold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm drinking yellow tail and watching it now, it is definitely great. I mentioned it earlier but along the same lines as this, Art and Craft on Prime about a "harmless" art forger.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I have a feeling that all of that dude's wine was counterfeit, despite what these people say. Good on him. These people want to be lied to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
And at the end it has this somewhat sincere reminder to enjoy things for what pleasure they bring you, not because someone else tells you to value it.