Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Minnesota really didn't give up much for Butler either. Dunn didn't look like he belongs in the NBA, LaVine is flawed and the Wolves were better when he got hurt (plus he's about to be paid), and the #7 pick doesn't look like a franchise altering player. So even if Butler ages before they can compete, it was a low risk move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/878665772339523584
https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/878667796913303552

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

7 could have been dsj and Dunn could have been Jamal Murray

They never should have drafted Dunn.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What exactly is the advantage for Ainge lying about not trying for Butler

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

that teams only gonna be a real contender when butlers the 2nd or 3rd best player anyway. if that happens when hes like 31 thats totally fine? and basketball players primes last awhile its not a big deal. dudes only 27

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Serbs taking care of Serbs
https://twitter.com/HaydiFeneer/status/878590562319966208

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

(Sporx)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tae posted:

Yeah given that he always blames the other side for when he misses on a player, I'm not inclined to believe this

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah given that he always blames the other side for when he misses on a player, I'm not inclined to believe this

I told you it's different this time. I'm Danny Ainge and I know.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

This is a win now team .

This is insanity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jota posted:

This is insanity.

Jota posted:

This is insanity.

Based on butlers and thibs contracts

Obviously kats window closes in like 2032.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

euphronius posted:

Lowry would be perfect for minne I hope it happens. Other than that's another great east player going west.

Losing Butler, PG13 and possibly Lowry. At least we might get Hayward?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jimmy Butler is 27.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So here's a question: Will ANY player get the new supermax? Because it seems like that's scaring teams to suddenly trade their elite players for less than expected.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tae posted:

Sociopaths lie for the sake of it, narcissists lie to rearrange the narrative to suit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Jimmy Butler is 27.

Niwrad posted:

Jimmy Butler is 27.

Only two years left on his deal which means only one real year unless he commits to resigning. They didn't give up tons but Man dsj would look great on this team.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tae posted:

So here's a question: Will ANY player get the new supermax? Because it seems like that's scaring teams to suddenly trade their elite players for less than expected.

This summer? The most likely is CP3 if he doesn't leave. But in the future guys like AD and KAT are almost definitely signing them

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

Only two years left on his deal which means only one real year unless he commits to resigning. They didn't give up tons but Man dsj would look great on this team.

If KAT and Wiggins develop, they'll be a great team and I don't see why Butler would leave.

I'd understand if they gave up a couple top 3 picks or Wiggins but they basically just gave up a few rotation players at best to get a top-10 player in his prime.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tae posted:

Russ

euphronius posted:

2 != 1

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

why would you define a window based on the end of a contract when the team can easily re-sign him? theres absolutely no reason to think hes going to bolt from a team with at least 1 legit superstar in the making and the coach he loves. why do you think hes leaving? and if you don't think hes leaving how is the end of his contract relevant in any way ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why do you think he's staying in minnesota. He's made no comments about it .

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

Why do you think he's staying in minnesota. He's made no comments about it .

?? so i have to assume hes leaving? what on earth. prove your point dont demand that i disprove it

e: also i mentioned in that post why he would stay but dont answer a dang question with a question incredibly rude imo

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Finally dawned on me what that was. That cupcake needs to be a Judas biscuit, but with a ring on it. You know, the biscuit Judas was nabbing at the Last Supper when he thought no one was watching, but Jesus said, "Heh, the guy who's filching that last bagel and thinks nobody sees, I and the Father see all, and he's the rat."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i like to imagine jimmy goes to minnesota and he's picked up by thibs in a lovely beater car and the whole time he's just screaming at him to ICE and then kind of trails off so he turns on his tape deck and it's a recording of him screaming at carlos boozer to box out and thibs is kind of bopping his head along when he gets to a good part.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ghost Dog posted:

?? so i have to assume hes leaving? what on earth. prove your point dont demand that i disprove it

e: also i mentioned in that post why he would stay but dont answer a dang question with a question incredibly rude imo

My original point was supporting why minne may be in win now mode. No one has any idea if butler is resigning. I doubt butler knows .

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

Being good at defense is a given of you want to be good. You have to be great at offense tho to do anything in the playoffs. Dont see this team being great at offense with dieng Wiggins and Rubio.

Dont quote me regular season stats. No one cares about the regular season. With a player as good as kat you should be focusing on winning playoff series. Dieng and Rubio aren't payoff players. Maybe Wiggins if he keeps shooting well

This is coming off too strident and dumb I'm sorry. I'm trying to get my 3 year old to go to sleep and I'm mad

It's coming off as both, brother, but as the father of a 3 year old I understand your feels

Offense gets worse in playoffs usually (except this year) and defense better, but acceptable offensive teams with great defenses make runs a lot more than the opposite. It's really pretty pointless to quote stats on the team at all though, they just added a 10WS player and their core is all 27 and under, they should be dramatically different next year.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I'm upset at the idea that Rubio isn't a playoff player. Like does the ball leave his hands and turn into sludge sometime in April?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

My original point was supporting why minne may be in win now mode. No one has any idea if butler is resigning. I doubt butler knows .

if thats your point you have to assume hes leaving which is an absurd assumption like 2 days after he got traded. if no one knows hes leaving its impossible to argue that the end of his contract is meaningful in anyway? the default position is for him to re-sign. he would need a reason to leave.

you just vaguely referenced an absurd hypothetical as fact. its an impossible position to argue against cause its entirely made up

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

I'm upset at the idea that Rubio isn't a playoff player. Like does the ball leave his hands and turn into sludge sometime in April?

yes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't think it is absurd to think a top 10 player would leave a bad team in free agency no.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Durant left a team that was in the conference finals .

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i cant tell if im being trolled or if you just wildly teleport between hypotheticals

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tae posted:

The Supermax is giving us a window into a cap free world. Turns out most teams think only top five players are actually worth 40% of the cap. I reckon only 5-7 players are worth it and one team may have two of them. Of people who will be up for one soon only Davis and Westbrook are probably worth it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how often does a top ten guy in a big market leave for a smaller market team

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The butler forward guy. Heyword or whatever his name is . He's top 20? Going to leave Utah . Blake is probably going to leave the clippers. Paul George is going to be off the pacers. Lebron left the cavs and left the heat . Memo left Denver.

If you asking me if butler could possibly leave Minnesota then yes I think it's possible.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

The butler forward guy. Heyword or whatever his name is . He's top 20? Going to leave Utah . Blake is probably going to leave the clippers. Paul George is going to be off the pacers. Lebron left the cavs and left the heat . Memo left Denver.

If you asking me if butler could possibly leave Minnesota then yes I think it's possible.

its not that its possible or not, for your position to make any sense, that their window is closing it has to...you know. actually be closing????? so he has to be leaving. you are asserting as fact that you know jimmy butlers mindset 2 years from now about a team no one has seen play together.

euphronius posted:

I don't think it is absurd to think a top 10 player would leave a bad team in free agency no.

and now you know that team is bad??? whats the future like

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Wiggins is a pretty ridiculous scorer for his age. I honestly have no doubt Wiggins will continue improving his shot. Ricky improved his shooting a lot over the year. He did an interview where he said something like "Thibs has been telling me that I need to change my approach and look for my own shot more." And Thibs echoed that, with his critique of Ricky's poor shooting being that he often is shooting as Plan B because his passing Plan A didn't work, so he either rushed the shot or worked himself into a disadvantageous position. When Ricky started looking for his own shot more often, largely as a consequence of LaVine's injury and Thibs' instruction, he improved pretty significantly. I watched a ton of Wolves games and it was extremely apparent.

Dieng is much more of a concern. He always clogs the lane and needs to rework his trebuchet shot to be an effective 4. I can't see Thibs keeping him paired with KAT for extended minutes again this year. In limited spurts I think it is really effective. Dieng starting lineups had positive net ratings. He does tons of glue guy stuff and is a good defender. He can't guard the perimeter. Dieng's contract is also highway robbery, so I think they could move on from him this year or next draft.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The real issue is that no one is beating the Warriors until they have to make a decision on Klay. Bulter is a wash until that happens.

Supermax is a non-issue until someone actually earns one. Which will be a while cause NBA media voters are idiots

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

Durant left a team that was in the conference finals .

Durant is a colossal bitch. Jimmy Buckets is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

Finally dawned on me what that was. That cupcake needs to be a Judas biscuit, but with a ring on it. You know, the biscuit Judas was nabbing at the Last Supper when he thought no one was watching, but Jesus said, "Heh, the guy who's filching that last bagel and thinks nobody sees, I and the Father see all, and he's the rat."

Lmao

• Locked thread