Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is the Crime Noir Omnibus by Brubaker any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

Is the Crime Noir Omnibus by Brubaker any good?

Everything by Brubaker is very good.

But the crime noir omnibus is by Bendis, isn't it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Everything by Brubaker is very good.

But the crime noir omnibus is by Bendis, isn't it?

Yeah.

So if you like Bendis, it's good. I read Goldfish once many years ago and I can't say it made a huge impression on me.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Goons, I'd love a recommendation for a couple of Wonder Woman trades that would be good for a ten year-old. Bonus points if they happen to run heavy on the Ancient Greek/mythology stuff. Thanks!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Goons, I'd love a recommendation for a couple of Wonder Woman trades that would be good for a ten year-old. Bonus points if they happen to run heavy on the Ancient Greek/mythology stuff. Thanks!

Perez' run

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae de Liz

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, I'm looking for something new (or little know), free from a lot of the bullshit of the industry ( big events, shared universes, overly assertive editor influences, ETC.), light-hearted and fun, and with fun but deep characters.

I recognize that's too vague so let me explain myself a little bit. I've been reading some Marvel -- Miss Marvel, silk, spider Gwen, Squirrel Girl, -- , but got really tired of all the bullshit that comes from being in a giant universe. Like I listed earlier.

I was primarily looking for Indie recommendations. I've never really checked out the Indie scene and was curious what it had to offer.

I hope that was a good enough outline. Giving some idea what I was interested in and what I've been reading. If that's not enough I can elaborate.

Thank you for your time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Covok posted:

Hey, I'm looking for something new (or little know), free from a lot of the bullshit of the industry ( big events, shared universes, overly assertive editor influences, ETC.), light-hearted and fun, and with fun but deep characters.

I recognize that's too vague so let me explain myself a little bit. I've been reading some Marvel -- Miss Marvel, silk, spider Gwen, Squirrel Girl, -- , but got really tired of all the bullshit that comes from being in a giant universe. Like I listed earlier.

I was primarily looking for Indie recommendations. I've never really checked out the Indie scene and was curious what it had to offer.

I hope that was a good enough outline. Giving some idea what I was interested in and what I've been reading. If that's not enough I can elaborate.

Thank you for your time.

The Goon, Atomic Robo, Livning With Zombies (if they ever get the omnibus done)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
^^^The Goon and lighthearted??? That's one of the grimmest books I've ever read.^^^

Giant Days, Lumberjanes, Rat Queens (at least for a little while before it all goes to poo poo and gets rebooted).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr Hootington posted:

The Goon, Atomic Robo, Livning With Zombies (if they ever get the omnibus done)

I remember seeing a trailer for the Goon, but is it lighthearted because Uthor is disagreeing. I've actually read Atomic Robo so solid recommendation: it's awesome. I'll give Living with Zombies a look.

Uthor posted:

^^^The Goon and lighthearted??? That's one of the grimmest books I've ever read.^^^

Giant Days, Lumberjanes, Rat Queens (at least for a little while before it all goes to poo poo and gets rebooted).

I read the first book for Rat Queens and even wrote a (terrible) game inspired by it. It went to poo poo and had to get rebooted?

Also, thanks, I'll check those out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Uthor posted:

I'll confess I've only read the first two goon trades and it isn't grim in those.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Goon takes place is a poo poo town and as the volumes go on, it goes deeper and deeper into why everyone deserves to be there. It starts out as black humor, then the humor slowly fades more and more as it goes on.

Rat Queens had a "problem" with the original artist, then the new guy couldn't keep up, then the book lost momentum by the time the third artist came on and just stopped in the middle of a story. It's getting (got?) a new number one starting things over, but I'm not ready to commit to it anymore. It's not so much the story got bad that real life dealt it several fatal blows.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

Thank you for your time.

From what you listed I'd recommend Bandette and Sex Criminals, fun books with female leads. Saga is great too, but more serious, also Bitch Planet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Aw, yiss, Bandette! I forgot about that book.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Covok posted:

Thank you for your time.

Sex Criminals, Saga, Chew, Madman, Scott Pilgrim, Paper Girls, The Tick (the original run by Ben Edlund), Tom Scioli's Transformers v. G.I. Joe (it'll help if you're a fan of either property, and ideally both), and if you're willing to try one more Marvel book that is stylish, tons of fun, and stands almost entirely on its own, Matt Fraction's Hawkeye.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

If you haven't read them already, I bet you'd really dig Tintin also. Don't read Tintin in The Congo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Don't read Tintin in The Congo

Emptyquote.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you like Tintin, try Barelli as well since it's basically the same thing* by a guy who also worked on Tintin.

*) Close enough anyway.

e: One of the albums literally has corporal Adolf Hitler in it as a character for whatever reason.

ee: And the new historical Spirou & Fantasio albums. I should think they've been translated into a language near you.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 25, 2017

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Henchgirl, Space Battle Lunchtime, Deadly Class, Cassandra Cain Batgirl, Goldie Vance, Adventures of Superhero Girl (with a new, recent edition!), Black Hammer...

I also think you'd have fun with Faith, which had one starter volume then four volumes in a series, which will soon become Faith & The Future Force with crossover shenanigans. Worth a shot.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Light hearted? Good characters? My friend, have you tried Top Ten??

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Uncle Scrooge is pretty awesome a lighthearted adventure. Usagi Yojimbo is also incredible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Light hearted? Good characters? My friend, have you tried Top Ten??

It says it was written by Alan Moore. I question that's its Light Hearted.

Space Fish posted:

Henchgirl, Space Battle Lunchtime, Deadly Class, Cassandra Cain Batgirl, Goldie Vance, Adventures of Superhero Girl (with a new, recent edition!), Black Hammer...

I also think you'd have fun with Faith, which had one starter volume then four volumes in a series, which will soon become Faith & The Future Force with crossover shenanigans. Worth a shot.

Well, at least I'm not hurting for recommendations. Thanks for the help!

Jordan7hm posted:

Uncle Scrooge is pretty awesome a lighthearted adventure. Usagi Yojimbo is also incredible.

My friend was really into Uncle Scrooge comics. But I never understood the appeal of a comic about an aging ultra rich capitalist.

I remember Usagi Yojimbo appearing in the 2003 TMNT cartoon. He was a fun character there, I could try out his comics. Thanks!

Uthor posted:

Looked into this one and it looks pretty cool. Do wonder why they all talk so formal.

Skwirl posted:

If you haven't read them already, I bet you'd really dig Tintin also. Don't read Tintin in The Congo

I remember my friend, who was into Tintin, telling me all about how Tintin in the Congo was bad and I shouldn't read it. Something about it being ultra-racist despite how good on that issue the writer was normally.

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you like Tintin, try Barelli as well since it's basically the same thing* by a guy who also worked on Tintin.

*) Close enough anyway.

e: One of the albums literally has corporal Adolf Hitler in it as a character for whatever reason.

ee: And the new historical Spirou & Fantasio albums. I should think they've been translated into a language near you.

I question reading a comic staring a nazi that is meant to be light hearted. Am I misinterpreting?

Uthor posted:

The Goon takes place is a poo poo town and as the volumes go on, it goes deeper and deeper into why everyone deserves to be there. It starts out as black humor, then the humor slowly fades more and more as it goes on.

Rat Queens had a "problem" with the original artist, then the new guy couldn't keep up, then the book lost momentum by the time the third artist came on and just stopped in the middle of a story. It's getting (got?) a new number one starting things over, but I'm not ready to commit to it anymore. It's not so much the story got bad that real life dealt it several fatal blows.

Wow, that suuuuucks. I remember the first volume of Rat Queens being pretty good. But, gently caress, real life happens, I suppose. The biggest risk of smaller publishing. In a big company, it'd just be a quick replace with one of the tons of artists they got, but, when you're on your own, it can be a death knell.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Covok posted:

I question reading a comic staring a nazi that is meant to be light hearted. Am I misinterpreting?

Probably just badly brought up.

e: I think out of all the recommendations it has the "deepest" characters in that they are very human.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 25, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Uncle Scrooge is very much a comic about how family is more important than money. Even if Scrooge has trouble with that sometimes. It's filled with wonderful adventure and humour stories and with Banks and Rosa you've got some incredible art. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is a must read.

e: for dumb adventure along the lines of Rat Queens I enjoyed Skullkickers

Covok
May 27, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Uncle Scrooge is very much a comic about how family is more important than money. Even if Scrooge has trouble with that sometimes. It's filled with wonderful adventure and humour stories and with Banks and Rosa you've got some incredible art. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is a must read.

Well, that does sound a lot more interesting than I assumed. Never watched Ducktales so I never got the appeal of those character. Before you ask, I was born in 1993 so I wasn't really watching stuff like that till they cooled on re-running that stuff.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Probably just badly brought up.

e: I think out of all the recommendations it has the "deepest" characters in that they are very human.

I'm still confused. Is a comic about nazis? Is it about living in an authoritarian country?

Jordan7hm posted:

Skullkickers

I think I remember seeing these characters recommend me a book once in a PSA. Not even joking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Covok posted:

I'm still confused. Is a comic about nazis? Is it about living in an authoritarian country?

That album is set in Belgium at the time of the German occupation. (The series was also published in Belgium during the actual occupation but I've never read those stories and I highly doubt they featured a lot of nazis.)

If you want something light-hearted without nazis there's the album written by Trondheim set after the war, Panique en Atlantique (Panic in the Atlantic).

e: Oh apparently some dumb gently caress has translated the titles on the Wikipedia article even though they haven't been published in English yet.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 25, 2017

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Usagi Yojimbo has a lot of killing in it, i wouldn't call it light hearted even though some of it is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

I remember my friend, who was into Tintin, telling me all about how Tintin in the Congo was bad and I shouldn't read it. Something about it being ultra-racist despite how good on that issue the writer was normally.

There's also a bit where Tintin kills a monkey and wears it's skin like the loving Edgar suit in Men in Black.

Edit: And historically there's a whole bunch of issues about the relationship between Belgium (where Herge is from) and Congo.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 25, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

There's also a bit where Tintin kills a monkey and wears it's skin like the loving Edgar suit in Men in Black.

Edit: And historically there's a whole bunch of issues about the relationship between Belgium (where Herge is from) and Congo.

Oh poo poo...oh loving poo poo...

Jerry Cotton posted:

That album is set in Belgium at the time of the German occupation. (The series was also published in Belgium during the actual occupation but I've never read those stories and I highly doubt they featured a lot of nazis.)

If you want something light-hearted without nazis there's the album written by Trondheim set after the war, Panique en Atlantique (Panic in the Atlantic).

e: Oh apparently some dumb gently caress has translated the titles on the Wikipedia article even though they haven't been published in English yet.

Oh, okay then. Wanted to make sure it wasn't pro-nazi.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pro-nazi comics don't really do all that well in Western Europe for some reason.

Re-reading the thread it appears my recommendations were aimed at an as-of-yet completely hypothetical goon-who-likes-Tintin anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Covok posted:

Oh, okay then. Wanted to make sure it wasn't pro-nazi.

It's honestly as close as you can get.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Oh poo poo...oh loving poo poo...

I didn't want to post a bunch of Herge being super loving racist stuff, but just in google image search where I pulled that there's a bunch of images where Snowy (the little white dog) just has thought bubbles that are basically "how loving stupid are these people?"

It was a comic written by a 20 something Belgian in the 1930's, I think he genuinely regretted it later and his later work is more progressive, though it has it's own bumps. The Blue Lotus for instance is set in Japanese occupied China pre WW2 and has a great portrayal of the Chinese people and even makes fun of Western stereotypes about the Chinese, though perhaps because of his sympathies for the Chinese the Japanese occupiers are basically straight out of a WW2 "Slap a Jap for Freedom war bonds ad.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Disclaimer: Deadly Class and Cassandra Cain Batgirl aren't necessarily lighthearted (even though they do have occasional humorous moments), but they are free of crossover BS and just do their own thing.

Feel free to add Fantasy Sports, Three Thieves, Delilah Dirk, and Hereville to the stack of "fun and fancy free stuff anyone can enjoy."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

I like this guy. Also new Archie by Mark Waid is great great great. Although the current story isn't very lighthearted.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
So with having read the first few Valerian books and the original Incal story recently (and then having been to the Comic Book Museum in Belgium), I'm wondering what people think is best in terms of originally French language sci-fi and fantasy comics that are available nowadays in English.

Aldebaran/Antares/Betelgeuse looks (visually from what I poked at) really solid, and Thorgal looks neat and I have heard it mentioned here. As they a good place to continue if I liked Valerian and Incal?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mobius

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I just ordered all of Marshal Law and Nemisis: The Warlock and read through all of them in one day. Absolutly loving it. Does anybody have a good reccomendation on other good 200AD / british as gently caress sci fi comics? I've allready got a lot of Judge Dredd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well if you can find a collected edition of Flesh!, that was by far my favorite feature in the old-rear end 2000AD comics. They never quite recaptured what made it so magical, even with the sequels.

Let me just give you the pitch: in the future, the demand for meat is so high, that people have to travel back in time and hunt/wrangle dinosaurs using cowboy techniques to turn them into dinoburgers. But things tend to go wrong a lot, violently.

It felt like a Paul Verhoeven concept without the MPAA involved.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks! That sounds exactly like the kind of thing I've been enjoying this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I also like whatever the one about playing jetpack football was called, even though the writer obviously kept changing the rules of the sport to fit whatever idea he had that week.