Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

remusclaw posted:

About halfway through the episode it clicked for me that this was a multi Master ep and that Razor was the Master in a completely pointless mask, and I loved the episode all the more when it was revealed to be so. Hmm, too early to say, but a good Cyberman story? Say it ain't so!

I'm an idiot and didn't realise it was him until he ran into Missy. Which meant I did the same thing as I did in Utopia and was going "Nooo, it's not is it? It loving is!"

I do wish they hadn't spoiled his presence or the cybermen in all the promotion, because this would have been up there with the aforementioned Utopia as a reveal otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The master seems to really like the cybermen for some reason.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's probably a parallel thing - he appreciates that the Cybermen are trying to do the same thing the Doctor does re Saving Lives, but they do it in a way that disgusts him. That probably tickles the Master pretty powerfully.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Namtab posted:

The master seems to really like the cybermen for some reason.

The Master likes teaming up with the Doctor's foes to gently caress with the Doctor, but the Daleks don't trust the Master anymore (there was that whole "put on trial and executed" thing), so what can ya do

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That was great

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Fil5000 posted:

Edit: I mean, I guess this obliterates Spare Parts... wait, no, it doesn't have to at all, there could have been a parallel technological advance on Mondas as it happened on the ship.

It's just something Mondasians do when poo poo goes south.

:j: It's really pelting down hard, I think the river might flood.
:reject: WE WILL SURVIVE WE MUST SURVIVE
:j: O...K. Uh, look, look at this video I made of the cat sneezing. Isn't he cute?
:reject: HE WILL BE UPGRADED

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Crusader posted:

The Master likes teaming up with the Doctor's foes to gently caress with the Doctor, but the Daleks don't trust the Master anymore (there was that whole "put on trial and executed" thing), so what can ya do

It'd be funny if the Daleks considered his slate clean because they DID execute him.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I won't see it until tomorrow (thank you Amazon Video) and I'll bow out until I do since I already know too much (not taking anyone to task, I did it to myself), but I don't see why the Cybermen having multiple origins need be any different than there being three Atlantises or UNIT being unstuck in time.

The very idea of Doctor Who 'canon' is ridiculous.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Namtab posted:

I don't trust him, not after the monks

Oh the monks he didn't write? Fair enough, I don't trust him after Planet Of The Dead

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I didn't like Moffat as far back as Time and the Rani. :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I didn't like Moffat as far back as Time and the Rani. :colbert:

You're being unfair to Pip and Jane. Which I'm fine with, frankly.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Oh the monks he didn't write? Fair enough, I don't trust him after Planet Of The Dead

He's the showrunner, he could have stopped this

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought it was really good but the preview makes next week does not fill me with confidence.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
drat that was pretty good. If there had been some way to have kept knowledge of Simm and the Cybermen out while watching it would have been the best reveal since Utopia. Finally a (decently) creepy Cyberman episode in the revival.

Legit good. Hope there's a way to keep up the inertia, but overall this season has been pretty good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Damnit, they finally managed to plug the hole of watching Who on iPlayer through VPN. I don't have a TV, and the ABC equivalent here in Australia is extremely lovely (and hasn't got it yet), is there anything else I can try?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

the ABC equivalent here in Australia is extremely lovely (and hasn't got it yet)

huh? I watched it on iView at like 5am this morning. It's absolutely there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Box of Bunnies posted:

huh? I watched it on iView at like 5am this morning. It's absolutely there.

...so it is. Okay, the resolution's still pretty bad, but that'll do quite well.

EDIT: Resolution isn't as bad as I remembered, either. Welp, I look like a dolt now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tell me how terrible my bad idea for a resolution is:

The Doctor manages to stop the Cybermen with help from Missy, in the process both he and the Master get mortally injured. As the Doctor falls to his knees and begins to regenerate, bemoaning that he wasn't able to save Bill, Missy grabs the Master by the head and forces him to redirect his regeneration energy to the Doctor and Bill, healing them both. She also implants him with a subconscious message like the Doctor did to Bill, to forget all this conquering nonsense and just be the Doctor's friend. Panicking and still regenerating, the Master takes off and they're unable to follow.

The Doctor, Missy, Bill and Nardole leave together. The Master regenerates into Missy, with no memory of how she got there/what happened but a mental picture of a new regeneration of the Doctor who she now wants to help. She finds a whole bunch of dying Cybermen who have had their emotions unblocked and are terrified of dying. As she drags some equipment out of the TARDIS she stole from Gallifrey, she tells them not to worry because when they die they'll go someplace where they can rest in peace forever. She then sets her sights on being a great friend to the Doctor by giving him an army of Cybermen to control so he can go save the universe, although she isn't quite sure yet if she'll let him keep the accent.

Also she decides that Nardole was a pretty fun pet so she creates an AI called Seb to help with running the 3W operation!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 25, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's pretty bad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Namtab posted:

It's pretty bad

Yeah I thought it probably was, I just got all excited by the idea of linking his regeneration back to her first appearance :)

This is how Ian Levine probably got started.... :ohdear:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Well I think that you're right in terms of this being the regeneration from master to missy, a lot of the first paragraph makes sense.

The second paragraph is more the bad one. It's just too direct a set up for events we already saw. There may be a vague allusion but I really hope it doesn't set up the earlier cyberman episode in that much detail.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

So Bill accidentally got transported the Bioshock/Silent Hill universe?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Okay, that story took my favorite episode of Red Dwarf and turned it into the most horrifying thing I have watched in a very, VERY long time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's really strange to me that they put both twists in the preview. Also has Missy ever referenced any of the John Simm episodes?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wondered for a second why Missy wouldn't remember this, but then that was brought up in Day Of The Doctor: when you meet yourself only the most recent one remembers because of time stream sync stuff. Still, a line or two from her about how this all seems familiar would have been nice

E: Missy hasn't referenced the John Simm episodes (a line about how the Doctor left her to die might have been referring to The End Of Time but probably will end up referencing next week's episode) but in Death In Heaven Osgood mentioned that they had a file on her from when she was prime minister ("she wasn't even the worst")

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 25, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cleretic posted:

Damnit, they finally managed to plug the hole of watching Who on iPlayer through VPN. I don't have a TV, and the ABC equivalent here in Australia is extremely lovely (and hasn't got it yet), is there anything else I can try?

If you have a VPN and don't mind waiting until tomorrow you could watch it on the legit canadian science fiction channel website. New episodes are up for 2 weeks.
Edit: oh, it looks like the whole season is up this year, nice.http://www.space.ca/show/doctor-who/

Or there are dozens/hundreds/millions of dodgy grey market streaming sites we aren't allowed to discuss here. They do have aggressive advertising, malignant pop-ups, and your antivirus and/or web browser will warn you that they are dangerous, but that's the price of living on the wild side and not waiting until tomorrow.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 25, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

No, this doesn't negate Spare Parts. Since they're both a race of Mondasians, they'd have the access to the same technology. So some people decided to stay on Mondas and retreat underground, others decided to escape on a ship. It would make sense that presented with the same problem (survival at any cost) their doctors and scientists would come to the same conclusion (Conversion).

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 25, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Okay, that story took my favorite episode of Red Dwarf and turned it into the most horrifying thing I have watched in a very, VERY long time.

Is that the one where Rimmer goes through a wormhole first and due to the time differential the rest of the crew arrive a few hundred/thousand years after he got there? And in the meantime he's created a civilization of clones of himself (who in true Rimmer fashion have all turned against him)?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

ABC airs it at 7:30pm when people are actually awake to watch it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm glad they didn't call this episode Genesis of the Cybermen for a few reasons, but hearing the Master say the line would've made a good ending to the episode if it was called that. Either way, I got fooled as to Mr. Razor's identity until he met Missy. Simm is a really, REALLY good actor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I'm glad they didn't call this episode Genesis of the Cybermen for a few reasons, but hearing the Master say the line would've made a good ending to the episode if it was called that. Either way, I got fooled as to Mr. Razor's identity until he met Missy. Simm is a really, REALLY good actor.

I thought it was Simm at first because of the obvious prosthetics, but after a few moments, thought, nah, that ain't him. He was that good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Simm is a really, REALLY good actor.

It should go without saying, but anybody who hasn't seen Life on Mars really needs to get onto it, it's an amazing show.

State of Play too (the British TV series, not the American film).

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Moffat you magnificent bastard!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The patient tapping out "PAIN" over and over again. :stonk:

I think with Capaldi/Gomez in these final episodes we've gone full circle back to the Pertwee/Delgado camaraderie and I'm loving it, especially the line about how Missy was too busy burning the stars.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Jerusalem posted:

Is that the one where Rimmer goes through a wormhole first and due to the time differential the rest of the crew arrive a few hundred/thousand years after he got there? And in the meantime he's created a civilization of clones of himself (who in true Rimmer fashion have all turned against him)?

I was thinking of White Hole, where different parts of the ship are experiencing time at different rates. But there's a few that tread similar ground to this, really. And honestly I think they were aware of it, that opening shot panning across an impossibly huge ship was right out of the original Red Dwarf opening.

Davros1 posted:

I thought it was Simm at first because of the obvious prosthetics, but after a few moments, thought, nah, that ain't him. He was that good.

...Wait, Razor WAS Simm, the entire episode? They didn't just switch a different actor out for him for the shot of taking off the mask?

Holy poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I legit thought that was Simon Peg for a little bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I was thinking of White Hole, where different parts of the ship are experiencing time at different rates. But there's a few that tread similar ground to this, really. And honestly I think they were aware of it, that opening shot panning across an impossibly huge ship was right out of the original Red Dwarf opening.

Yeah as they panned across the ship I had to wonder if echoplex had accidentally wandered back onto set and gotten confused :haw:

White Hole is one of my favorite Red Dwarf episodes, the scene where they try to have a conversation about what is going on is just fantastic writing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

I legit thought that was Simon Peg for a little bit.

After dismissing Simm, I was think that it was Mark Gatiss.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Davros1 posted:

After dismissing Simm, I was think that it was Mark Gatiss.

Don't you mean Sam Kisgart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It should go without saying, but anybody who hasn't seen Life on Mars really needs to get onto it, it's an amazing show.

State of Play too (the British TV series, not the American film).

Ashes to Ashes was good too, though Simm isn't in that.

My brain is still looking for things to complain about regarding the Monk episodes and I realized that as was shown in the last episode of that block, the Monk's were completely vulnerable to small arms fire. Missiles and planes, no dice. Six shooters and AK's, dead Monks. If only the military had thought to just shoot them in the first place.

• Locked thread