Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Your Computer posted:

:same:
It's ridiculously adorable. I'm kinda worried that it'll get boring with how saccharine it is but then again so is Animal Crossing and that's the best game ever. :v:

I still wish there were more camera settings though. Camera auto adjusting is frustrating, and it would be nice to have a camera more like the 3D Zeldas.

Yea, I keep trying to move the camera up and down the the c-stick but it does nothing. Also the lock-on is extremely finicky. Most of the time I'm trying to lock-on to an enemy I'm just spinning the camera around in circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

KingSlime posted:

heck I'm loving SMTIV so much I might just jump right into Apocalypse

though even diehard SMT fans have warned me against doing this, as the recommended course of action seems to be "play something else between those two games"

also i hear it ditches some of the original game's gravitas for typical anime cheesy bullshit (loving ghost navarre, that poo poo is embarrassing) but as long as the core gameplay loop is the same and there are some new areas/visuals, I'll still dig it

Yeah, you'll definitely like it. You have similar feelings to me about SMT IV and I really liked Apocalypse. I did have a very long break between the two, though. (which caused me to be confused about how the two stories were connected)

Also, there is some optional free DLC that puts a few little data log entries with fairly huge spoilers for the game. So avoid downloading those, if you care about spoilers. I already knew what was given away, and it's telegraphed fairly early on, but I still think it'll bug some people, so consider yourself warned. :)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Cool, thanks for the tips!

I'm gonna try and wrap up SMTIV this weekend since my freelance workload is nice and light. I'm thinking I'll burn through Master Blaster Zero or maybe the last half of Ace Attoreny 6 before diving into STMIVA, but I am def eager to go through another campaign in post-apocalyptic tokyo

I also thought about getting all the demons (like I did with Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 back in the day!) but a quick search has revealed that this is a huge undertaking that requires a minimum of 3 playthroughs, lots of luck, and is prob not worth it! oh well

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

:(

I was making fun of the other idiot's idiot joke.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I still wish there were more camera settings though. Camera auto adjusting is frustrating, and it would be nice to have a camera more like the 3D Zeldas.

You can move the camera if you have a New 3DS

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jarogue posted:

You can move the camera if you have a New 3DS

You can, but only left and right and you'll have to fight the auto-recovery while doing it :(

I like to look around me when I'm running around, to look at the scenery or to see if I'm aggroing any mobs, and that becomes really difficult when the camera is moving itself behind the character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It works if you're so used to playing Warriors games that you think the best way of seeing something is to move in that direction and hit the L button.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I realize everyone is attached to the idea of Samus Arab as an unfeeling robot but there's a balance between that extreme and "THE BABEH" where she can have some sentimentality.

That would be an interesting direction to go in.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like there are some n2ds xl systems out in the wild now. Any reports yet if they are going to have a screen lottery again? I'll get one, but not if it's going to have a shittier screen quality than my ips n3DS xl.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Looks like there are some n2ds xl systems out in the wild now. Any reports yet if they are going to have a screen lottery again? I'll get one, but not if it's going to have a shittier screen quality than my ips n3DS xl.

Unfortunately, they seem to be TN screens. I don't think any of them have IPS screens considering that they're supposed to be cheaper units and that all New 3DSes had IPS screens for both screens sometime well after launch.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fetus posted:

Unfortunately, they seem to be TN screens. I don't think any of them have IPS screens considering that they're supposed to be cheaper units and that all New 3DSes had IPS screens for both screens sometime well after launch.

I was under the impression that Nintendo used ips screens because that's all they could find at the time of manufacturing. That's why it was so sporadic and random as to what systems got them.

Hell I remember when the small n3DS finally came to America, absolutely zero of them had IPS screens. Then the Mario Land bundle came out and certain serial numbers did have them. I'm not sure why the n3DS xl would be different, though maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Austen Tassletine posted:

That would be an interesting direction to go in.

mother brain must die because she exposes the folds of her brain. it's haram

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Another Ever Oasis nitpick, so certain residents have certain skills. The first major dungeon had things that were obviously intended for you to come back with other characters because maybe you didn't have that skill at the time. The second major dungeon though, requires you to have more skills than you have characters in your party so you have to change mid dungeon multiple times... This wouldn't be so bad if you could hot swap characters, but in order to do that you have to go back to town and although you have a teleport button that takes you back to town and then takes you right back where you left off, it's still tedious and takes way too long to do.

Game is still great though, it's like a Dark Cloud lite game.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

The second major dungeon though, requires you to have more skills than you have characters in your party so you have to change mid dungeon multiple times...

I made the same mistake you did, there is there is one seedling resident that has the 2 skills you need to get through the second dungeon. I just didn't get her until 1/3 through the dungeon. Until I got her I had the Main guy switch their weapon until I found her.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Jarogue posted:

I made the same mistake you did, there is there is one seedling resident that has the 2 skills you need to get through the second dungeon. I just didn't get her until 1/3 through the dungeon. Until I got her I had the Main guy switch their weapon until I found her.

I was thinking about that, I got a guy who can mine and also has a hammer which is really useful. I also noticed some of my residents have 2 skills, so I assumed the potential for someone to have two useful skills is possible, but I never saw anyone and had made resident everyone I found up until that point. I never considered switching my characters weapon to something other than the sword though, yea that would be really useful.

So yea, if I equipped my main character with a wand I got it would have solved my issue.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 24, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I've played though a decent chunk of Ever Oasis, and I'm liking it a lot so far. It's a fairly cute and chill game. Kind of like a cross between Animal Crossing and Zelda, and pretty reminiscent of Rune Factory.

Though if you tried out the demo and it didn't do anything for you, I would probably give the game a pass. Unless you really like town management systems, which wasn't really in the demo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

:(

I was making fun of the other idiot's idiot joke.

oh no, the "you are" was to your second sentence, not the first, i wasn't trying to own you!

this is why i don't ever try to be facetious anymore, it never works....

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone know how I can get heal fruits in Ever Oasis?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Clicked quote instead of edit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone know how I can get heal fruits in Ever Oasis?

Sand piles in town will give them to you fairly often. You can eventually trade peppers for them with a merchant.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nate RFB posted:

Metroid 1 is a great game!!! Just try to play it one sitting so you don't have to re-fill your energy tanks constantly.

Whatever method you'd be using to play it in the year 2017 probably has save states, which eliminates half of the frustration of playing it (the other half being the damage knockback). The varia suit eliminates most of the difficulty otherwise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a post-E3 list of games coming to 3DS this year and beyond... out this week, Ever Oasis, Runbow Pocket (New 3DS-only) and, in PAL-land, RPG Maker Fes (as well as a free eShop app that lets you play user-made games without needing to own the full game).

Digital-only stuff coming this year that isn't listed: Kirby's Blowout Bash 3D, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Maldita Castilla, Eliminage Original, Pokemon Gold & Silver (GBC)

Runbow Pocket (New 3DS) - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL, eShop-only)
Ever Oasis - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
RPG Maker Fes - June 27 (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Miitopia - July 28 (NA) / July 28 (PAL)
Hey! Pikmin - July 28 (NA) / July 28 (PAL)
Devilish Brain Training - four loving years ago (NA) / July 28 (PAL)
Culdcept Revolt - August 29 (NA) / September 1 (PAL)
Monster Hunter Stories - "fall" (NA) / September 8 (PAL)
Metroid: Samus Returns - September 15 (NA) / September 15 (PAL)
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - October 6 (NA) / October 6 (PAL)
Lady Layton - "fall" (NA) / "fall" (PAL)
River City: Rival Showdown - "fall" (NA) / TBC (PAL)
Yokai Watch 2: Psychic Specters - "Q3" (NA) / "Q3" (PAL)
Etrian Odyssey V - "Q3" (NA) / "Q4" (PAL)
Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon - November 17 (NA) / November 17 (PAL)
Snack World - "2017" (NA) / "2017" (PAL)
Fire Emblem Warriors (New 3DS) - "2017" (NA) / "2017" (PAL)
"a new Kirby multiplayer action game" - "2017" (NA) / "2017" (PAL)
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux - "early 2018" (NA) / "2018" (PAL)
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - "early 2018" (NA) / "2018" (PAL)
Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido - "2018" (NA) / "2018" (PAL)

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
So now that I've come to terms that if I want a. NEw 3ds and live in America I'm forced to buy the big one, is there any reason to not buy a new 2ds? Also has anyone had any luck using larger than "officially" supported memory cards with the 32 GB cluster size method? In TYOOL 2017 I'm very annoyed with having to own game cartridges.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

AcidRonin posted:

So now that I've come to terms that if I want a. NEw 3ds and live in America I'm forced to buy the big one, is there any reason to not buy a new 2ds? Also has anyone had any luck using larger than "officially" supported memory cards with the 32 GB cluster size method? In TYOOL 2017 I'm very annoyed with having to own game cartridges.

Yes, it works perfectly fine. I had a 64 GB and now I have a 128 GB, and there've been no issues.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sand piles in town will give them to you fairly often. You can eventually trade peppers for them with a merchant.

Maybe my game is hosed, because I've been playing for hours and haven't seen a single healing fruit. Sand piles don't happen very often and the yield no results.

Edit: Finally got them. Seems to only want to give me one per in game day.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 25, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Devilish Brain Training - four loving years ago (NA) / July 28 (PAL)

It's lame it took this long but I'm glad PAL is still getting this game. This game has some of the most mind melting challenges I've faced in any game and made feel like the cosmic brain meme as I got better.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Residents of Ever Oasis are all, "I could go out into the desert and slowly die of dehydration and exhaustion, or I could stay here at the last source of water on the planet....if you made it worth my while!"

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Yeah, it's pretty weird that you need to convince people to stay in your safe zone instead of going back out to the dangerous Chaos-filled desert. The game keeps trying to tell you how hosed the world is and that you're the only hope left, and then I still need to get this random dude 3 specific fruits or he'll leave town.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe it's because I've only just beaten the first dungeon, but I have to say, Ever Oasis is extremely my poo poo. I might even play this one to completion.

BTW, Fire Emblem Echoes is $30 on Amazon right now.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01N12ES3A/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

AcidRonin posted:

I saw some reviews and many complained about the new placement of the speakers, which is apparently below the unit and easily blocked by your hands.

Kind of a dealbreaker imo given that the 3d edition is only $50 more, but you might want to try and get more info on this before deciding as I haven't used one myself.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My n3DS XL's battery is starting to die on me. Should I go official or third party, and if third party what's got the best balance of price and battery life? I don't need like double the original life, but I don't want to go so cheap I only get half either.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My n3DS XL's battery is starting to die on me. Should I go official or third party, and if third party what's got the best balance of price and battery life? I don't need like double the original life, but I don't want to go so cheap I only get half either.

OEM battery is $14.99

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
TRU is doing $10 off a bunch of 3DS games until July 1, including Ever Oasis and Hey! Pikmin: http://www.toysrus.com/search/?s=A-...&irpidTRU=27795

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
"Whoa phew, i just barely got away from all these shadowy chaos monsters that want to eat my soul and found this oasis! Lucky me, i heard they were all gone."

"Hi, I'm the chieftain of this oasis. Mind if i take out your heart and ram it into the ground to grow my settlement here? kthx"

"... Maybe i should just leave again?"

"Yeah, good luck out there in the several hundred thousand square kilometer spanning desert, which apparently only has one oasis and source of water left. I'm not gonna even mention the soul sucking monsters.
.... is what i want to say but evidently everyone is too blasé about their life to care, so lemme help you get your five pairs of new shoes or whatever you want"

"Hmmmmmm, maybe i'll stay after all, but i'll sleep on it"

What a silly game

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maybe it's because I've only just beaten the first dungeon, but I have to say, Ever Oasis is extremely my poo poo. I might even play this one to completion.

BTW, Fire Emblem Echoes is $30 on Amazon right now.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01N12ES3A/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

How is echoes?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

MarcusSA posted:

How is echoes?

I heard that the story and narrative is good because 8-4 handled it but I also heard the map design sucked rear end.

Kinda curious myself.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

personally its probably my least favorite fire emblem ignoring the other remakes, the rpg mechanics like random battles and dungeons are a drag that go against what makes fire emblem work so well to begin with, the balance is all over the place, and the map design manages to simultaneously be actively frustrating and incredibly lazy. the story and characters are better because unlike fates they are written by someone who understands human emotions and behavior, but the supports are mostly underwritten and so you cant really play it for the shipping like you might awakening

this is a minority opinion though, most people seem to like it

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

That's no where near as bad as I was expecting. Thanks.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

How is echoes?

The most tedious modern Fire Emblem. So many random battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Revelations is a modern Fire Emblem though.