Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

First thing I do on any new playthrough is add a bag of holding, scroll bag, ammo bag, gem bag and potion bag. Along with the UI, inventory management is probably the absolute worst thing about BG and I don't have the patience to deal with it. I also use the tweak from the tweak pack to make bags of holding bottomless.

Same. For the EE they should have just stolen the stash mechanic from Pillars of Eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I played through TOB for the first time ever, after having done a few BG2 iterations over the years. I have to say, the writing is pretty bad, and the fights are reasonably fun, but the repetition got old quick. Every fight was spending 5 minutes buffing my party, charge in, chug potions while mages take down the other side's buffs / protection from magical weapons, then let my fighters spam greater whirlwind until everything explodes. Also the plot was nonexistent, but that was sort of the premise, right?

Anyway, I just got back into Pillars of Eternity and that's a huge joy to play through.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Zeris posted:

I played through TOB for the first time ever, after having done a few BG2 iterations over the years. I have to say, the writing is pretty bad, and the fights are reasonably fun, but the repetition got old quick. Every fight was spending 5 minutes buffing my party, charge in, chug potions while mages take down the other side's buffs / protection from magical weapons, then let my fighters spam greater whirlwind until everything explodes. Also the plot was nonexistent, but that was sort of the premise, right?

Anyway, I just got back into Pillars of Eternity and that's a huge joy to play through.

IIRC, TOB was initially supposed to be BG3 but ended up being greatly reduced in scope and released as a BG2 expansion.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A lovely expansion at that. I'm actually grateful for Beamdog's NPC quests because it adds a couple hours and actual sidequests to it. If they did a "sequel" to Dragonspear and tie off its loose ends they could pad it into something respectable.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Wow. If TOB was full length I'd force myself to play through it out of sad nerd devotion to the series, and I would be miserable for it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TOB is admirable in what it tries to do but completely flops on the execution. Letting me pick more uses of greater whirlwind attack = all I'll get on fighters, if they limited it to like....2 I may have actually tried other HLAs. I still think if there would be a BG3 it should logically extend from TOB and add level 10/11/12 spells and massive +7/8/9 swords and be you and your crew (preferably minsc) galloping through the heavens killing gods

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just finished my first full run-through of BG1 > SoD > SoA > ToB with SCS + Ascension as a Sorc. That was some gooooood poo poo.

I love how Siege of Dragonspear fits in to the saga now. After BG1's climax it's a nice change of pace and the quality of the content is miles ahead of anything Beamdog put in BG1/BG2/ToB imo.

Imprisonment and Wish were my MVP spells of the playthrough.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How do I select a kit when creating a character in BGEE? I feel really stupid right now at the charger creation screen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wildtortilla posted:

How do I select a kit when creating a character in BGEE? I feel really stupid right now at the charger creation screen.

Don't the different options pop up when you click the base class?

Edit: I only have Icewind Dale installed at the moment, but that's definitely how it works there. If you wanted to be an Archer or whatever, first click Ranger, then another menu pops up that will have Ranger, Beastmaster, Archer, and Stalker as 4 different options.

Note you can't use kit's if you're multiclassed without mods, and even then you can't do it through the basic character creator.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 24, 2017

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
You're right. Thanks for confirming I'm dumb tonight.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Zeris posted:

If you aren't solving every fight by having your mage cast Time Stop, Improved Alacrity, Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting x2 and then mop-up I'm not sure you're doing it right. Once I started doing that prep time went down a lot and I continued wrecking every single enemy (except enemies immune to time stop).

Softface fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 24, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
TOB never really felt so difficult that I needed to really do any prebuffing except for boss fights which I think is fine and at the levels you'll be at most buffs will last ages too. I always do think it does a nice job as the end of the saga with your party mulching armies of enemies like it's nothing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah TOB is just so repetitive that I tend to just stack fighters and run a meat grinder frontline.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't think there's that much of a drop in quality in ToB, but by the time people get there they're suffering from system fatigue. When you get your first few level 9 spells at the end of SoA your tactics don't really change that much going forward.

All of the Bhaalspawn story stuff is great but I'll admit the final boss should have been dealt with better, like introducing them to us in BG1/BG2 and having them build up as a character.

I thought the music/environments in ToB were beautiful too. The Music's much better than anything before it. Voice acting definitely isn't as good as SoA though.

Also lol if your front liners aren't dual wielding and using Belm/Kundane/Scarlet Ninja-to in their offhand with improved haste and protection from energy cast from the projected image of a sorcerer under improved alacrity.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I really like Pillars of Eternity.
I want to love Pillars of Eternity.
But I do not give a poo poo about that game world.

Also, after 15 years I finally finished Planescape: Torment.
I think...I think I might hate that game.
It's the only game I've ever played where I thought 'this would be better as a visual novel'

I like ToB.
I think I had a harder time with it than most because I had trouble wrapping my head around a lot of the high level spells. For example: I never once used spell sequencer.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Ehhh PS:T is the greatest game of all time and if someone remade it every 3-5 years in perpetuity, it's all I would ever play.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

I really like Pillars of Eternity.
I want to love Pillars of Eternity.
But I do not give a poo poo about that game world.

Even if PoE had the worst game world ever it would still be a fantastic game because everything about the actual gameplay is so drat solid and good.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I sat down at 8 this morning to start playing BG. First thing I did was pick up Kaleed and Jahera and the next thing I knew it was 2pm and I was coming out of the Nashkel Mines. Holy poo poo thus games great. I'm on my way to the Gnoll Stronghold and reconsidering my party. I'm rolling as a dwarf F/C with the Canon group so far. But I'm thinking of dropping Kaleed and Jahera or maybe just Kaleed. Feel like my party has too many dudes on the front line.

Also do druids get some good CC spells beyond tangle?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

But I'm thinking of dropping Kaleed and Jahera or maybe just Kaleed. Feel like my party has too many dudes on the front line.

Drop Khaleed. To keep Jaheira, take off all his equipment and send him into combat alone or just have another party member kill him, ideally Jaheira.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

I sat down at 8 this morning to start playing BG. First thing I did was pick up Kaleed and Jahera and the next thing I knew it was 2pm and I was coming out of the Nashkel Mines. Holy poo poo thus games great. I'm on my way to the Gnoll Stronghold and reconsidering my party. I'm rolling as a dwarf F/C with the Canon group so far. But I'm thinking of dropping Kaleed and Jahera or maybe just Kaleed. Feel like my party has too many dudes on the front line.

One of the best in the game - Nature's Beauty.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So assuming I drop Khaleed I'll be rolling with my F/C, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Imoen. That'll give my F/C, Jaheira, Minsc on the front line, with Dynaheir and Imoen on the back line. I'm still toying with dual classing Imoen to mage cause that seems to be what most folks do (this is my first real run through the game). So perhaps I should look to pick up another Thief to cover for Imoen while she levels up as a mage later on.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

The 5th level spell Insect Plague is a surefire way to lockdown enemy mages. Does great damage, has no save (enemies can only save vs the fear effect), makes casting spells impossible for the target and will bypass magic resistance and any spell/combat protections if it spreads from a vulnerable target to that target (target the weaker monster first). Enemies can't be immune to it either.

As said above Nature's beauty is also very good.

Wildtortilla posted:

So assuming I drop Khaleed I'll be rolling with my F/C, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Imoen. That'll give my F/C, Jaheira, Minsc on the front line, with Dynaheir and Imoen on the back line. I'm still toying with dual classing Imoen to mage cause that seems to be what most folks do (this is my first real run through the game). So perhaps I should look to pick up another Thief to cover for Imoen while she levels up as a mage later on.

Consider throwing in someone that's good with a bow in to your group as they're extremely effective in BG1/SOD. Kivan from the area west of Beregost, and later Coran (who'll you'll come across in the main path eventually) are both very good. Coran's a multi fighter/thief so it might be a decent idea to dual Imoen once you get him so there's no time when you don't have a thief.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wildtortilla posted:

They get the best mage shut down spell in Insect Swarm at spell level 5, or as I call it "Oh god, not the bees, not the bees!!" it also can cause enemies to flee in a panic. When you finally get level 7 spells (druids have messed up leveling if you're not using the tweak pack) Nature's Beauty is a save or die that blinds every one who doesn't die. So not stuff that shuts down movement, but very handy stuff for groups, and both of those spells are party friendly.

Edit: didn't notice you're on BG1, for further advice, give every single character a ranged weapon, even if they aren't proficient in any. Start every fight with a volley of arrows and rocks.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 24, 2017

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If you for whatever reason actually want one of your characters back after severing their dual link, just petrify them instead of killing them. Then you can come back and destone them later.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Or you can send the unwanted one from the pair alone in a random house and boot them from the party.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I've been soloing BG2EE as a F/M/T and only just discovered, when I hit the XP cap, that triple-class mages never get to cast 9th-level spells :suicide:

Shoulda been a cleric/mage in a small party instead.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

I've been soloing BG2EE as a F/M/T and only just discovered, when I hit the XP cap, that triple-class mages never get to cast 9th-level spells :suicide:

Shoulda been a cleric/mage in a small party instead.

Remove the XP-cap

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wildtortilla posted:

The easy way to play BG is just give literally everyone missile weapons, and as many bows as possible. Bows fire 2x a round right out of the gate. Fighter/Druids are also almost invincible with iron skins.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

A question I meant to ask about BG: EE.

Did they rebalance fireball arrows?
Because my one enduring memory of that game is getting blown out at level 2 by a bunch of Kobolds shooting those drat things at me in the Naskel Mines.
One of my favorite memories of BG II was when I realized the arrows were brutally nerfed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

A question I meant to ask about BG: EE.

Did they rebalance fireball arrows?
Because my one enduring memory of that game is getting blown out at level 2 by a bunch of Kobolds shooting those drat things at me in the Naskel Mines.
One of my favorite memories of BG II was when I realized the arrows were brutally nerfed.

You have like 6 times the health and can much easier kill a kobold in 1 hit at the start of BG2.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

Even if PoE had the worst game world ever it would still be a fantastic game because everything about the actual gameplay is so drat solid and good.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through, everything is solid and fun so far. I like that the world is a little bit blander. My problem with BG2 and TOB especially was that the world lost its meaning when I was a simultaneously a god and also just another dope walking down the street being kept out of locked doors and buying potions with money. The trappings of mortal life never went away, but I was constantly being told I was one of the most powerful beings in existence at the same time. How were other gods and powerful beings in that universe worth caring about in such a case?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wildtortilla posted:

Khalid makes for a good tanky archer since he has decent dex and can get 3+ pips in longbow, switching to two-handed swords whenever that might be better.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Skwirl posted:

You have like 6 times the health and can much easier kill a kobold in 1 hit at the start of BG2.

Oh I know.
I just hate those arrows.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Just explore every area and do every side quest before you hit the mines at level 4/5 lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Just explore every area and do every side quest before you hit the mines at level 4/5 lol

If you're new to the game getting to level 4 with a full party before the mines is super loving tedious because you don't know the easy XP spots and there's a bunch of poo poo that will kill you instantly. If you're focused on "the only real plot lead I have is the mines" it's easy to hit them before you ever level up.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I dominated the mines today with a group of level 1-2 dudes on normal. The boss guy at the end was tough until I remembered to cast magic missile with a wand Imoen was carrying. That poo poo interrupted his bullshit paralesys spell.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Real proud of solo killing Kangaxx as a sorc by using the ring of the ram 3 times in a fight. I couldn't do enough damage to keep up with his regeneration so I just kept casting wish. I got refresh spells and said I bet that gave me my ring of the ram back. Low and behold he was soon dead.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I checked it a description of Coran and I read, "In game canon, Coran adventured with the party during the events of Baldur's Gate, leaving the group some time before the final battle with Sarevok." Does he leave the party before the end of the game?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

I checked it a description of Coran and I read, "In game canon, Coran adventured with the party during the events of Baldur's Gate, leaving the group some time before the final battle with Sarevok." Does he leave the party before the end of the game?

Nope. Very light non-story related spoilers: You'll find him on the bridge in the North Western section of the first cloakwood map, which becomes accessible after you've cleared out the Bandit Camp. He's got a quest to kill some Wyverns in the east section of the fourth cloakwood map. You can rush to the fourth map if you're worried about time pressure. Once you've delivered the Wyvern heads back to the priest in Bereghost he's yours till the end of BG1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

No. It's just that certain characters are present at the beginning of BG2 so the idea is that those are the ones that beat Sarevok in BG1, and Coran isn't one of them so "officially" he wasn't there as far as the story of the whole series goes.