Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So, uh, something I just realized:

In the original version of FF6, Cyan's name was Kaien

His son? Shun.

Just pointing that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So what you're saying is that we should be calling him Owain

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ImpAtom posted:

His son? Shun.

Just pointing that out.

his theme is also cyan's theme, and they both live in doma castle, which is built over water, before the imperials threw them out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Minrad posted:

his theme is also cyan's theme, and they both live in doma castle, which is built over water, before the imperials threw them out

Yeah, the Cyan's Theme/Doma thing was I thought the full depth of the cut until I realized the added joke there. I'm impressed at how far they went for it.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Now I'm thinking what would it be like if Zenos took a liking to a different kind of weapon?
Instead of a bunch of samurai swords he carries a bag full of different bows, or he has half a dozen shields strapped to his back.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think I will. I'm slightly hung up on Samurai's general lack of utility--I'm usually not the selfish DPS class guy, I like having a few utility buttons--but Samurai's overall playstyle seems like it'd really be my thing. Maybe I'll level that to 60 and then decide whether to take that or Red Mage into Stormblood.

If it makes the transition any easier, "utility" in FFXIV generally means "you press Battle Litany with everyone else's cooldowns". RDM has a unique thing in dualcast Verraise but it's so, so uncommon that it's hard to weigh it too heavily. FFXIV dps doesn't really have utility in the way some games do, particularly compared to singleplayer FF games. Follow your heart.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Beat the MSQ. Good stuff, final boss was a bit of a slog but a great spectacle and overall a lot of fun. Looking forward to the extreme version.

I think this was a fantastic expansion overall, particularly in the story. The Doma stuff is definitely the peak, though; the story loses steam returning to Ala Mhigo and it does pick up once the war drama element resumes but it feels like they have to squeeze in a lot of stuff into the last act to make the section feel proper. Fondula or whatever her name is is a stark iron bitch and I don't even understand how she's convinced herself that anything she did was justified. Zenos turns out to be crazy and a total dork, which is hilarious. I told him we weren't friends, gently caress that noise. If this expansion did anything really well it was just fill you with hate for the Empire and all these clowns running it. Zenos' death scene is a bit of a slap to the face, and Lyse calling him out on his flowery bullshit is funny. Her insistence on "no executions" is really out of left field, but if they are going to do a Nuremburg-style war crimes tribunal storyline in a coming patch then it could actually be well worth it. Otherwise, she's going to need to learn it's okay to loving murder some people if they really, really deserve it.

good game, looking forward to the extreme dungeons and primals

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

macfam posted:

Now I'm thinking what would it be like if Zenos took a liking to a different kind of weapon?
Instead of a bunch of samurai swords he carries a bag full of different bows, or he has half a dozen shields strapped to his back.

Zenos toting around like seven books, summoning an armada of fairies at once

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the Cyan's Theme/Doma thing was I thought the full depth of the cut until I realized the added joke there. I'm impressed at how far they went for it.

I think the mom/queen's name is even the same, but it's just one throwaway line somewhere

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Estinien status: still a bro

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Zenos's final moments completely redeem him as a villain and he goes from super nothing to the best this game has seen. He genuinely believes you feel the way he does. Why else would you be here and he explicitly told you exactly what was going to happen if you came. He knows you're just looking for another stronger opponent to face because that's where you really live and enjoy yourself (And he's not entirely wrong on that front.) He's suicide isn't to deprive Lyse and Ala Mhigo some petty justice, it isn't even to spurn you. Zenos believes you truly understand him, you're his only real enemy, his only friend, and he takes away your chance at visceral justice to deny you the satisfaction so you'll find the hunger he so cherished and go on to find another fight. The gift was the lust for greater combat, and it's so pitch perfect for his character and I'm so glad the writers did that instead of us just killing him ourselves.

That summation of it makes me think of The Killing Joke. Zenos is basically Joker in that, telling the WoL they're both the same just like Batman. Despite the occasional fanon that the WoL is a bloodthirsty psychopath though, he was probably wrong since the WoL will always be the hero of this story.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I was in PBC before a long time ago, does it matter which one to join this time?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

My only real disappointment with the ending is that we don't get a Zenos' Best Friend title.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 25, 2017

macfam
Dec 22, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Zenos toting around like seven books, summoning an armada of fairies at once

Actually as a Garlean Zenos cannot use magic so collecting scholar tomes would be of no use to him :goonsay:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh man the Royal Menagerie was absolutely a perfect way to cap off Stormblood and it makes me retroactively angry(ier) at previous boss fight designs from a certain other MMO.

The final few levels of Stormblood felt like a whirlwind tour but on the whole a very good expansion. Looking forward to the EX fights.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Doomhammer posted:

My only real disappointment wit the ending is that we don't get a Zenos' Best Friend title.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just cleared Susano EX. He will be trivial for everyone but the truly abysmal players once gear improves a bit and enrage is no longer a concern.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just watched the after the credits after the everything cutscenes.

Super mega chocolate spoilers seriously do not mouse over this:

Gosetsu AND the evil Doma lady are both alive!? I know this game has a tendency to avoid killing off important characters but holy poo poo.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

macfam posted:

Actually as a Garlean Zenos cannot use magic so collecting scholar tomes would be of no use to him :goonsay:

Zenos toting around like seven books, furiously clubbing the WoL with a particularly heavy paperback

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Gosetsu AND the evil Doma lady are both alive!? I know this game has a tendency to avoid killing off important characters but holy poo poo.

Don't worry, He'll accidentally kill her by feeding her the easy to catch fish instead of the healthy fast ones, and then throw himself off a cliff

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If it helps Gosetsu is clearly annoyed at this too.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Azure ex Machina

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Whoever said Lakshmi's music was the best was not wrong. Holy poo poo best primal music ever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lakshmi's theme is good but it's hard to call it the best given all the other insanely good primal themes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sophia is still god-tier for me

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Lakshmi gets bonus points for forcing you to dance. That part goes great with her music.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I still like Ravana's theme best

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't do it, I can't play a non-DPS role. Gonna just have to find something to do during queues.

I wish you could at least hunt reliably during them, but being alone is no way to get hunt mob credit!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Who would be up for a "Frontlines Drinking Game" night sometime? Some of my favorite memories from WoW was when my guild would do Arathi Basin drinking game nights.

Rules could go like this:
Every time you die: 1 sip
Every time you get battle high: 1 sip
Every time you kill someone with battle high: pick a person to take a sip
Every time someone complains: complainer takes 3 sips
At end of match, whoever has most kills/assists (combined): pick one person to finish their drink
At end of match, whoever has most deaths: finish drink
If the team takes 1st place: everyone takes a sip
If the team takes 2nd place: everyone takes 2 sips
If the team takes 3rd place: everyone finishes their drink

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

EXDR, Primal EXs, Elite Hunts, is there anything else to unlock after 70/MSQ is done?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I can't do it, I can't play a non-DPS role. Gonna just have to find something to do during queues.

I wish you could at least hunt reliably during them, but being alone is no way to get hunt mob credit!

Hey ciaphas what level r u? I'm going to sleep but maybe I can help you queue this week. This is Bee.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arist posted:

Sophia is still goddess-tier for me

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I didn't actually like Ravana's theme, or his fight. Too much downtime and the music didn't get me in the groove.

Sophia was pretty sweet though. But the warring triad all teased with their opening music, one of my favorite pieces from FF VI.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

His son? Shun.

Just pointing that out.

cyan is kaien in the not localization butchered original ff6 ya dingus

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shiva's j-rock is still the best theme.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Tsurupettan posted:

this caused me physical pain

I'm more angry at the name being blacked out. Who is this ultimate warrior?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Both of the new primals kick untold amounts of rear end. The first with his dialogue. The second with her music.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

cheetah7071 posted:

Definitely still the best.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh man the AST quests are about Geomancers?

Sqeenix plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
i will never forget the sheer :chloe: of hearing Brute Justice for the first time.