Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Is there anything I can do to improve a pack's performance? I've already disabled mipmaps but Sprout is just lagging impossibly when I try to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Tyty posted:

Is there anything I can do to improve a pack's performance? I've already disabled mipmaps but Sprout is just lagging impossibly when I try to play it.

Did you already install these mods?
Better FPS
FoamFix

If so, you can also use Tick Profiler and/or Sampler (under "Extra tweaks/tips, Sampler 1.60 (MC 1.7.10)/1.62 (MC 1.8.9)/1.63 (MC 1.9)/1.65 (MC 1.9.4)/1.69.2 (MC 1.10)/1.71 (MC 1.11)" section to try and find causes of lag or troublesome mods.

Might use something like Progenitor to pre-generate chunks as that's often a huge lag inducer.

There are some config changes you can do, such as enable alwaysSetupTerrainOffThread in forge.cfg and increase dormantChunkCacheSize in forgeChunkLoading.cfg.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Sprout has BetterFPS already but not Foamfix. Installing Foamfix is a good idea. It fixed the lag problems I was having.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I tried it out and was impressed at the pack using ~80% of my 6 core 4ghz CPU before I realised there was no Foamfix by standard.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Yeah I put Foamfix in and immediately it works way better.

I didn't even notice it wasn't there originally, hah.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I wonder how you're intended to get tools in Sprout. I wound up finding a sawmill structure and scavenging some planks out of the floor to make sticks, and stealing iron ingots from dragon hoards to make an axe so I could chop trees.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Blow up leaves to collect bird nests, which are basically loot bags in this pack that'll give you flint and sticks for starting tools. The traveller NPC who always appears by your spawn spot (and randomly elsewhere in the world) will give you quests to point you in that direction.

Once you complete the initial bird nest quest (takes less than 2 minutes usually), you'll get a sickle, which makes getting all the flint and sticks (among other things, including occasionally diamonds and redstone dust) you need from bird nests trivial a million times over.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 24, 2017

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I was finally getting along decently in CotT when I placed an ender tether in the nether to see if it stopped the reapers from teleporting into my tunnel which crashed the game and now I can't open it again.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the Sprout modpack uses an insane amount of CPU for me and the game is an unplayable slideshow. i can play COTT no probs - is this due to some hosed-up optimisation mod that's been included in one but not the other? any ideas on how to cut down on the 90% CPU usage?

i have turned off mipmaps already

e: wait i'm retarded it's like three posts above mine. how did i not see this page

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Futurepack is really something else. It's the high 'tech' mod on the new DPT server, and this quote (from me) accurately summarizes the second planet:

quote:

Hey guys, I made this really neat planet for my mod.

Oh, does it have lots of cool stuff to find and mobs/bosses to fight and things to see?

Nah, you just find two random crystal deposits, mine the sand (which grows more crystals on it) and you're done with the place forever.

Also the research system is ... interesting.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you have failed to actually convey whether you like it or not

i actually feel as though i know less about it now than i did before reading your post

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Oh, and for those of you messing with Sprout, make sure you pick the ATG world type. You're sorely missing out on one of the best features of the pack if you don't.

Emperor Ming
Jul 27, 2007
I played industry mods for minecraft a few years ago, and they were pretty great. What's the best current industrial modpack out there?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Here's a tip: if you make a world in Sprout and there's a dragon nearby, just make a new world. They WILL occasionally breathe fire/ice at you, and that will kill you instantly. I stole from like three dragon hoards in my first world and they didn't bother me, but it appears they do attack sometimes, so you don't want to start next to one.

Edit: uh what are these heart crystal shards for? It seems like I should be able to upgrade my health with them but I can't figure out how. I turned on scavenger mode, but there's no tooltip on the heart crystal to tell me if it's buy-only or scavenge-only.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 25, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Not sure about Sprout, but in CotT you combine 9 shards into 1 heart and use that for +1 health.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

You turn them in to monks at a monastery to get the health upgrade. The canisters aren't craftable in this pack.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Toadsmash posted:

You turn them in to monks at a monastery to get the health upgrade. The canisters aren't craftable in this pack.

Oh, alright. I wish there was a tooltip explaining that.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In Sprout i died my first night, not knowing to hand in a birds nest.

My next world was pretty awesome. Ive set up home in an abandoned spire next to a fire dragon's lair. Which itself is sandwiched between 2 slayer guilds.

Once i clear away some area for farmland what do i do? go searching for more NPC's?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Meskhenet posted:

In Sprout i died my first night, not knowing to hand in a birds nest.

My next world was pretty awesome. Ive set up home in an abandoned spire next to a fire dragon's lair. Which itself is sandwiched between 2 slayer guilds.

Once i clear away some area for farmland what do i do? go searching for more NPC's?

in sprout you pretty much live and die by the stuff you find while exploring, so if you're ever at a loss as for what to do then it's probably a good decision to go see who/what you can discover

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I discovered that MCA towns have waystones in them already. If you find one, go in the center and activate the waystone for a free teleport destination. Or steal it! No one will ever know!

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Anyone know how to make silk in Sprout?

Edit: Holy crap, this is unstable. I crash to desktop every 10 min.

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 25, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone know how to make silk in Sprout?

Edit: Holy crap, this is unstable. I crash to desktop every 10 min.

Foamfix is basically required if you haven't installed it already.

For me, the worst thing that happens is the sound engine crashes. Then it starts back up again.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

McFrugal posted:

Foamfix is basically required if you haven't installed it already.

For me, the worst thing that happens is the sound engine crashes. Then it starts back up again.

How do I install a mod into a Twitch Modpack? Just drop it in the mod folder?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Yah. Manual jar copy pasting works just fine. It'll even show up in the pack's modlist in the launcher if you put it in the right place.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
You can also go to profile options -> unlock profile and it will let you add mods from within curse.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Thanks, that seems to have worked.

Sprout is good times. If you get stuck early, here are some tips:

-Remember to pick a class and level up. You can open up this GUI by hitting semicolon by default.
-DO THE STARTING QUEST WITH THE TRAVELER. It ends quickly, and gears you up, and gives you a backpack starter kit with waystone and warp crystal.
-Birds nests are awesome, you can get a ton of random crap, sometimes emeralds and diamonds
-Need ender pearls? Punch those little tiny stones you see on the ground and you have a chance to get ender dust. These smelt into pearls.
-Wooden bucket is nice for early game water transport. It needs three logs in the bucket pattern.
-Don't bother building a house. Travel around until you find a nice prebuilt structure, plop down your waystone from the starter kit, and explore out from there. I claimed a cool granite home, built on top of a dungeon.
-Get started on Ars Magica quick for easy torches / light source. The dig spell also works on obisidian, so screw diamond picks. You can snag an inscription table from the Monestary.
-Farming a ton of wheat and selling it to the stables is a good way to make money.
-The Slayers Guild are jerks.

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 26, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I just crashed from digging up one of those small stones. That may have been a coincidence since the crash report seems to involve worldgen.

Oh, found how to get silk. You need to find a Weaver NPC in a village. That crystal orb you get from the starter kit could be used to generate a large MCA town which can have a variety of CustomNPC merchants.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 26, 2017

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

McFrugal posted:

I just crashed from digging up one of those small stones. That may have been a coincidence since the crash report seems to involve worldgen.

Oh, found how to get silk. You need to find a Weaver NPC in a village. That crystal orb you get from the starter kit could be used to generate a large MCA town which can have a variety of CustomNPC merchants.

Sweet, I've been going nuts trying to figure out a recipe. Now to find a village!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I downloaded and installed foamfix anarchy, and still got crashes with Sprout. First time, it just hung on initial world creation untilI force quit the game, logs said it was journeymap experiencing a null pointer error. Exited and reloaded, and it was laggy, but playable...until I died and it crashed trying to respawn me.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah the performance isn't great and I'm not sure why. I've had a couple of crashes, but the most common problem is getting stuck in the sleeping bag.

Oh, here's a tip: banks act like ender chests.
Another tip: hay and hay blocks can be sold to a Miller for a lot more than selling wheat to a stable. Making hay is a bit more involved than harvesting wheat, but you can find hay in chests. Also, stables have hay slabs lying about that you can steal.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 26, 2017

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The annoying thing turning me off Sprout is the game crashes every time I die with a

quote:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot get property PropertyBool{name=bottom, clazz=class java.lang.Boolean, values=[true, false]} as it does not exist in BlockStateContainer{block=minecraft:air, properties=[]}

error.

Also yes the Slayers Guild are jerks. And infinitely respawn. :mad:

Also this is twice now that the game has crashed while walking around with a 'server' crash log that has

quote:

Description: Exception ticking world

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: ivorius.ivtoolkit.maze.components.MazeComponentConnector.randomlyConnect(Livorius/ivtoolkit/maze/components/MorphingMazeComponent;Ljava/util/List;Livorius/ivtoolkit/maze/components/ConnectionStrategy;Livorius/ivtoolkit/maze/components/MazePredicate;Ljava/util/Random;I)Ljava/util/List;

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 26, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

That crystal orb you get from the starter kit could be used to generate a large MCA town which can have a variety of CustomNPC merchants.
What?? I used it and all that happened was it sent me to a room with an enchanting table that asked me for my name, gender, and sexual orientation. Then it sent me right back where I started.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 26, 2017

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Depends posted:

I was finally getting along decently in CotT when I placed an ender tether in the nether to see if it stopped the reapers from teleporting into my tunnel which crashed the game and now I can't open it again.

Remove Dark Utilities, and it'll work again.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

What?? I used it and all that happened was it sent me to a room with an enchanting table that asked me for my name, gender, and sexual orientation. Then it sent me right back where I started.

This happened to me too, I didn't get any village.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

it's like trying to get housing or a job; the "wrong" answers mean you don't get anything

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh nevermind, I guess that part of the MCA orb has been disabled. Normally it asks you for your origin and it'll create whatever town you said you came from. I'd been saving mine, I may as well use it now.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Either I installed it wrong, or Foamfix isn't helping my Sprout install. I continue to crash with it added to the mod folder, and it showing up in the list of mods for sprout.

It's a shame, I really enjoy this pack.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Either I installed it wrong, or Foamfix isn't helping my Sprout install. I continue to crash with it added to the mod folder, and it showing up in the list of mods for sprout.

It's a shame, I really enjoy this pack.

You installed it fine, Foamfix only stops some of the crashes. I was getting crashes on death and crashes on using the backpack you get in the tutorial with foamfix installed. I'll probably come back to Sprout in a few weeks once they've got some of the bigger bugs ironed out.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah I'm getting crashes occasionally myself. Might be related to the sound engine making GBS threads the bed too many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, something about sprout is a bit more hosed up than the average minecraft modpack, for whatever reason