Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But you could do a single forward one and a second 360 one after the other.

nah it says "standard sign" for the activation and "standard sign" for the free cast, however i haven't actually built the set myself so i'd be happy to eat my words if i'm wrong

edit: just checked this is what the tooltip says for me http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=954379135

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't mind not using the 360 Aard since the rest of the game has taught me to avoid being surrounded anyway.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cowcaster posted:

nah it says "standard sign" for the activation and "standard sign" for the free cast, however i haven't actually built the set myself so i'd be happy to eat my words if i'm wrong

edit: just checked this is what the tooltip says for me http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=954379135

Ah, maybe you're right. I'm either misremembering, or it changed.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

doing some googlings it does seem like the set bonus is inconsistently listed across a couple of websites so it's a likely candidate for something that got patched

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

I don't mind not using the 360 Aard since the rest of the game has taught me to avoid being surrounded anyway.

Counterpoint: gently caress harpies/sirens.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

use the horn

give them the horn

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

use the horn

give them the horn

i'm having bad flashbacks to getting instagibbed in witcher 2 dark mode by the kayran and sile shrieking after every load "yrden, trap it with yrden!"

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i'm having bad flashbacks to getting instagibbed in witcher 2 dark mode by the kayran and sile shrieking after every load "yrden, trap it with yrden!"

Have you tried rolling away from the giant telegraphed tentacle attacks instead of standing around.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GrossMurpel posted:

Have you tried rolling away from the giant telegraphed tentacle attacks instead of standing around.

considering i beat witcher 2 dark mode about a year ago i would hope so

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hi welcome to the Plunging Neckline, Novigrad's finest women's wear store.

Our styles today include "Half a nip", and "Fully nude".

End of list.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

End of list.

You can turn off Triss' alternate outfit from the main menu. It's pretty dumb looking.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

End of list.

Don't be mocking the tailor. Radovid sucks flaccid cock.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Now that I am finally playing the expansions, I have forgotten what I have seen people say you need a ton of for the Grandmaster sets - is it Dimeritium and Draconid Leather? Anything else?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Still feel very new to this after 20some odd hours in. How does alchemy refilling work? After I meditate it says it look some Dwarven Spirit from my inventory to refill everything. Is that one for everything, or one per thing refill, or what?

And is there any way to track who I still need to win Gwent cards from?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Reality Winner posted:

Still feel very new to this after 20some odd hours in. How does alchemy refilling work? After I meditate it says it look some Dwarven Spirit from my inventory to refill everything. Is that one for everything, or one per thing refill, or what?

One alcohol for everything you've got

There's a Gwent book in your inventory that will tell you how many cards are left to win in each zone but not specifically who

I did a newbie advice megapost that's in the OP, you're a good ways in but some of it may still be helpful

Did you do the Bloody Baron quest chain yet? :v:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Reality Winner posted:

1 Dwarven Spirit or Alcohest for everything.

Read Pellisworth's newbie post religiously, Don't Push Djikstra, let the Halflings win, give the wine to Shani.

Story and treasure swords are for money and have trash stats, just make Witcher Gear, fast attack works better than slow, dodge works better than roll.

The best bombs are northern wind, samum, and grapeshot. Only make the decoctions that sound useful otherwise you will hate your life sorting through the garbage ones, start all tough fights with Thunderbolt and Swallow potions, use Yrden for Wraiths.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wait, grapeshot is good?

dimeritium and moon dust are good, imo

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Everything I've read and tried with Dimeritium says it only works on Elemental's AOE, only in the radius of the cloud, and disables all your magic and breaks your Quen shield.

Moondust has never, ever prevented Foglets and Wraiths from going invisible for me despite me nailing them in the face with it a bunch of times. That might be a PS4 bug though.

I go by the philosophy that the best status is dead.

Besides, neither of those bombs work on that fuckin' Ofieri mage and that is like the one time I actually needed them to.

He took me 3 tries and I was Mad.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Besides, neither of those bombs work on that fuckin' Ofieri mage and that is like the one time I actually needed them to.

He took me 3 tries and I was Mad.

The DLC fights are a lot tougher than the base game bosses, it's pretty obvious that CDPR listened to fan feedback and gave us more complicated and well-designed fights.

Also I really agree with the decoction advice, most of them aren't terribly useful and you'll probably stick to 3-4 goto picks the whole game. You can't stash or drop them once crafted, so don't craft decoctions you won't use they'll just take up inventory space. And the inventory and crafting UIs are questionable.

e: oh also, Gumbel2Gumbel did you run into any bugs with the Wolf gear schematics or did you not bother collecting those? IIRC one of the very few remaining (significant) bugs is on consoles one or two of the Wolf gear schematics are completely inaccessible.

It's actually very much worth doing the Wolf schematic quests because they take you to a lot of locations around Kaer Morhen and give you a lot of background and flavor on Witcher training and mutation, etc.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 25, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

The DLC fights are a lot tougher than the base game bosses, it's pretty obvious that CDPR listened to fan feedback and gave us more complicated and well-designed fights.

I'm not through either yet but the first fight with Olgierd was basically the perfect test of my fighting style and I loved it. Didn't die once but it was by far my favorite fight.

That Toad kicked me about a bit but I got through it alright.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Moondust worked great for me against the tougher wraith variants.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This has probably been asked before a lot of times, but what decoctions are worth trying out? I don't have a particular build, I'm spread out all over the pace. The only one I've used consistently is the one that lets running and jumping out of combat not use stamina, for when I'm running around Novigrad doing easy quests.

I wish I started this game at the highest difficulty. I chose the second highest, and its pretty simple. I don't know if things will change when I get to Skellige.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

This has probably been asked before a lot of times, but what decoctions are worth trying out? I don't have a particular build, I'm spread out all over the pace. The only one I've used consistently is the one that lets running and jumping out of combat not use stamina, for when I'm running around Novigrad doing easy quests.

I wish I started this game at the highest difficulty. I chose the second highest, and its pretty simple. I don't know if things will change when I get to Skellige.

imo

Ekhidna heals when you use stamina
Ekimmara gives you a bit of HP from attacks
Chort for immunity to a bunch of stun effects
Arachas for a defense booster if you're traveling light on weight
Nekker Warrior for mounted combat
Troll ain't bad for some constant low-level regen

e: you can up the difficulty at any time. Skellige isn't any harder than the rest of the game, the DLCs do have harder fights.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 25, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Node posted:

Ekhidna decoction (using stamina gives you health), Cat Potion(see in the dark), Killer Whale(swim longer), Swallow(health over time), White Raffard's(instant health), and Thunderbolt(base damage increase) were my majors. I basically just started out each tough fight by using Thunderbolt and Swallow and using Ekhidna and White Raffard's if it got close.

I think Cat Potion is the unsung hero of my game because I play in a room with huge rear end windows and it helped me spot so many hidden passages, hidden chests, and underwater chests in caves.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 25, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
one of the very few abilities that I'd say are "must-have" is the first-tier Alchemy ability Acquired Tolerance which boosts your Toxicity threshhold based on recipes you know

this allows you to run 2-3 decoctions constantly, plus room for potions in combat

I never enter combat without a couple of decoctions running

e: this is more mid/lategame or NG+ since early game you won't have decoctions or the recipes to run multiple of them at once

Gumbel2Gumbel, one of the most powerful Mutations unlocked in B&W (Euphoria) scales based on your Toxicity level so it's beneficial to grab Acquired Tolerance and have 2+ decoctions active continuously. Plus the decoction bonuses are pretty good.

secondary Quen is Wraith decoction iirc?
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 25, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Node posted:

Ekhidna and secondary Quen is basically "I never die" mode.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

one of the very few abilities that I'd say are "must-have" is the first-tier Alchemy ability Acquired Tolerance which boosts your Toxicity threshhold based on recipes you know

this allows you to run 2-3 decoctions constantly, plus room for potions in combat

e: this is more mid/lategame or NG+ since early game you won't have decoctions or the recipes to run multiple of them at once

Gumbel2Gumbel, one of the most powerful Mutations unlocked in B&W (Euphoria) scales based on your Toxicity level so it's beneficial to grab Acquired Tolerance and have 2+ decoctions active continuously. Plus the decoction bonuses are pretty good.

secondary Quen is Wraith decoction iirc?
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oh yeah, I have acquired tolerance active always. I would just rather have it scale off all the extra levels from my potions, oils, and bombs and not have all those decoctions to sort through. The PS4 menu is SUPER laggy so it is a serious pain in the rear end to scroll through all the decoctions.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 25, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Steam summer sale has blessed us with some prime avatar material.

I think a lot of the ciri-centric choices in the game are kinda dumbly opaque but I didn't get all upset when I got a bad ending, just kinda confused.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the problem is, i agree that the decisions made during the game are frustratingly opaque, but i don't know how they could've been done any better than slapping a big old flag "HEY THIS GETS YOU THE BAD ENDING" on the decisions.

at some threshold these decisions need to happen organically if you want to keep the narrative together, and this is coming from someone who thinks games are best without any narrative whatsoever

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Sometimes it's good for someone to get a bad ending and take a lesson from that. The problem is that CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCE™ has been so hyped and yet meant so little in video games that actually experiencing unforeseen consequence for your choices can either feel refreshing to you, or annoying that it doesn't conform to the standard.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 25, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I based all my decisions on how I deal with my girlfriend so it was be supportive and never tell her she's wrong if she's currently angry

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I think a lot of the ciri-centric choices in the game are kinda dumbly opaque but I didn't get all upset when I got a bad ending, just kinda confused.

Never have kids.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Never have kids.

"Don't destroy this mage's house" is sound advice for any kid.

I will mea culpa on taking the emperor's money (the game pretty much flashed a THIS IS A WRONG CHOICE at me immediately) but I did that cuz I wanted to upgrade my armor, not for roleplaying reasons.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Moondust has never, ever prevented Foglets and Wraiths from going invisible for me despite me nailing them in the face with it a bunch of times. That might be a PS4 bug though.

I'm on PC and have had the same experience. I never notice Moon Dust having any effect at all.

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah I don't know why you would ever not take Acquired Tolerance and roll with 2 decoctions. It requires very little investment in the Alchemy tree even if you don't want anything else and it's insanely good.

Node posted:

I have Ekhidna and Chort on permanently. Ekhidna is such a good self heal that I can't imagine not having it; it feels basically mandatory to me. Chort makes it much less of a big deal to take a hit, since you won't get stunned ever or staggered as often. It works really well combined with Ekhidna because the only real effect from the hit is losing health, which is easy enough to regain when you have Ekhidna active.

Some of the other decoctions are cool but I'd rather have the toxicity headroom to use for potions. With 3 decoctions running you have very little margin for potions during combat.

Re: the bolded part, you can change difficulty at any time.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Lurdiak posted:

"Don't destroy this mage's house" is sound advice for any kid.

I will mea culpa on taking the emperor's money (the game pretty much flashed a THIS IS A WRONG CHOICE at me immediately) but I did that cuz I wanted to upgrade my armor, not for roleplaying reasons.

Don't destroy this mage's house is dumb advice when its obvious that he's been lying to her and views her as nothing more than a means to an end and is basically a huge manipulative shithead.

Sometimes young adults need to smash some poo poo when they're feeling betrayed and angry.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I want the caretaker's magic vampire shovel. First legitimately difficult boss fight in the game. Hearts of Stone is great.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

And Tyler Too! posted:

I want the caretaker's magic vampire shovel. First legitimately difficult boss fight in the game. Hearts of Stone is great.

You didn't pick it up?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hopterque posted:

Don't destroy this mage's house is dumb advice when its obvious that he's been lying to her and views her as nothing more than a means to an end and is basically a huge manipulative shithead.

Sometimes young adults need to smash some poo poo when they're feeling betrayed and angry.

Yeah yeah, it's super easy to justify something leading to a bad end when you already know it leads to a bad end. I just chalk it up to the law of unintended consequences and watched the good ending on youtube.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

hopterque posted:

Venting your anger isn't healthy. Also, that sounds more like something shithead teenagers do and not actual adults, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Venting your anger isn't healthy. Also, that sounds more like something shithead teenagers do and not actual adults, sorry.

Are you trying to claim Geralt is an adult?