Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Imagine being such a point-missing dickhead that you'd want an EU military lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Deltasquid posted:

Keep the parliament, reform the Council to only have majority voting (qualified majority voting for a few hot topics if the countries complain about it)

Form a EU-wide army but let the states keep their own national guards so they don't feel too emasculated. But make sure all the cool gadgets and tanks and aircraft carriers and marine divisions built in the future are under EU control so we can start loving up countries abroad like the USA.

First you need to reform the EP to actually be a democratic institution where every vote has equal value.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GaussianCopula posted:

First you need to reform the EP to actually be a democratic institution where every vote has equal value.
GDP per capita weighted of course.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
For the nth time, smash the nation-states.
Fed or Bust!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Quick reminder that Macron has sternly stated that France would bomb the poo poo out of Assad if chemical weapons are used again there

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Quick reminder that Macron has sternly stated that France would bomb the poo poo out of Assad if chemical weapons are used again there

Good.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

GaussianCopula posted:

Only Germans ever complain about this rule, so it's not that high on my priority list

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I would like a Germany style (am Teutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen :kaisercry::hf::hitler:) stronger parliament.

Also,

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

For the nth time, smash the nation-states.
Fed or Bust!

this but unironically

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Flowers For Algeria posted:

You mean like they were already doing right?

Fucke to Macron

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Deltasquid posted:

Keep the parliament, reform the Council to only have majority voting (qualified majority voting for a few hot topics if the countries complain about it)

Form a EU-wide army but let the states keep their own national guards so they don't feel too emasculated. But make sure all the cool gadgets and tanks and aircraft carriers and marine divisions built in the future are under EU control so we can start loving up countries abroad like the USA.

It's much more than "loving up countries abroad". What point is there in each individual country increasing defense spending if the forces aren't integrated? Are iberian tanks going to roll to Lithuania in case poo poo flares up in the East? The south should be investing in fast/light coastal defense navy and urban warfare specialized infantry that could be fast deployed to any city in Europe. There isn't going to be a russian amphibian landing in the peninsula, there's no sense in buying any significant numbers of heavy gear. What little airforce needs we have could be supplied much cheaper by the bigger countries that have huge savings in purchase and maintenance. There's not going to be a naval battle in the Med so no point in having big navies there, anything Europe doesn't want floating in the Med it can sink from land based airforces. Our borders at the moment are Turkey and the East in general, that's where the focus and investment should be going. You can't try coordinating this stuff after problems start, military forces are only useful if they are ready otherwise they're just an expensive paper tiger. Our forces should be deployed where they are needed, under a common command structure and required to speak in english at all times so that it's not an issue if/when the time comes to operate in the field under the pressure of battle.

If we want to keep peace with Russia in the long run we must not look like we are complete pushovers. It's not that Russia plans to invade Europe, it's that not being able to resist if they did only invites them to keep pushing the envelope because "whatcha gonna do about it". We shouldn't rely on America for our defense, I think by now that much is clear to everyone.

e: seriously, on that last point... Let's say in 12 or 16 years Europe is going through some Ukraine 2 or energy dispute with Russia while Neo-Trump is in the White House. There is basically nothing Russia couldn't demand from us by simply rolling a couple of tank divisions to the Baltics border. People would be rightly making GBS threads their pants. Even if we ignored any hypothetical threats to nuke us as empty saber rattling that not even the russians would dare over such a non existential dispute if there wasn't a serious commitment by the Americans to intervene in a conventional land war it's not like the individual european countries could organize any sort of effective opposition in time.
And all the while Neo-Trump would be holo-tweeting "serves them eco-commie-eurabians right for always acting all superior to us, don't you miss us now? :smugdon:".

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 25, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MeLKoR posted:

It's much more than "loving up countries abroad". What point is there in each individual country increasing defense spending if the forces aren't integrated? Are iberian tanks going to roll to Lithuania in case poo poo flares up in the East? The south should be investing in fast/light coastal defense navy and urban warfare specialized infantry that could be fast deployed to any city in Europe. There isn't going to be a russian amphibian landing in the peninsula, there's no sense in buying any significant numbers of heavy gear. What little airforce needs we have could be supplied much cheaper by the bigger countries that have huge savings in purchase and maintenance. There's not going to be a naval battle in the Med so no point in having big navies there, anything Europe doesn't want floating in the Med it can sink from land based airforces. Our borders at the moment are Turkey and the East in general, that's where the focus and investment should be going. You can't try coordinating this stuff after problems start, military forces are only useful if they are ready otherwise they're just an expensive paper tiger. Our forces should be deployed where they are needed, under a common command structure and required to speak in english at all times so that it's not an issue if/when the time comes to operate in the field under the pressure of battle.

If we want to keep peace with Russia in the long run we must not look like we are complete pushovers. It's not that Russia plans to invade Europe, it's that not being able to resist if they did only invites them to keep pushing the envelope because "whatcha gonna do about it". We shouldn't rely on America for our defense, I think by now that much is clear to everyone.

e: seriously, on that last point... Let's say in 12 or 16 years Europe is going through some Ukraine 2 or energy dispute with Russia while Neo-Trump is in the White House. There is basically nothing Russia couldn't demand from us by simply rolling a couple of tank divisions to the Baltics border. People would be rightly making GBS threads their pants. Even if we ignored any hypothetical threats to nuke us as empty saber rattling that not even the russians would dare over such a non existential dispute if there wasn't a serious commitment by the Americans to intervene in a conventional land war it's not like the individual european countries could organize any sort of effective opposition in time.
And all the while Neo-Trump would be holo-tweeting how it "serves them eurabians right for always acting all superior to us, don't you miss us now?".

:agreed:, combined EU defense spending is actually a decent chunk of change, even after Britain self-owns itself into isolation the EU will have the third largest defense budget in the world. At the moment, it's just being spent in the most ridiculous way possible, with a shitton of forces that all try to do mutually overlapping things with a tiny slice of the budget each and therefore end up driving around with uselessly small amounts of high tech gadgets or a pile of tanks and jets that can't actually deploy anywhere because nobody thought to maintain it while it was rusting away.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

blowfish posted:

I would like a Germany style (am Teutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen :kaisercry::hf::hitler:) stronger parliament.

Also,

this but unironically

I was being literal too jfc.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

France doesn't need to give up its Africa Marines. Just integrate everything you need for homeland defence(tanks and stuff), everything that goes beyond that will still be operated on a national level. It's not like the EU army is ever going to be used for anything but defense. If you want exciting international adventures full of hot ethnic women, gold treasures and children corpses you still gonna have to do it on your own and pay for it.(maybe EU will provide some logistics, I dunno)

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Except that stability in the Sahel is directly linked to safety in Europe, so your distinction feels a bit artificial.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bourricot posted:

Except that stability in the Sahel is directly linked to safety in Europe, so your distinction feels a bit artificial.
Yeah, we need to stop France from destabilizing Africa.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's not like we have a choice in eventually getting dragged into conflicts around us. The discussion on how/when to intervene is another matter and quite a pointless one if we are simply unable to do it effectively. If the only thing we can do is lob a couple of bombs and then run out of ammo failure is a forgone conclusion whatever we chose to do.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

It's not like we have a choice in eventually getting dragged into conflicts around us. The discussion on how/when to intervene is another matter and quite a pointless one if we are simply unable to do it effectively. If the only thing we can do is lob a couple of bombs and then run out of ammo failure is a forgone conclusion whatever we chose to do.
Just make it so we have no military response between armed police officers and nuclear weapons. That way people will have to limit their aggression to things cops can deal with, or get nuked.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Better yet, give nukes to cops. :dredd:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MeLKoR posted:

And all the while Neo-Trump would be holo-tweeting "serves them eco-commie-eurabians right for always acting all superior to us, don't you miss us now? :smugdon:".

Hey man, I agree with you 100%. The self-deprecating joke about loving up foreign countries was only a half-hearted "we will become that which we hate about Americans" joke but it doesn't invalidate the need I feel for an common European defence policy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

Better yet, give nukes to cops. :dredd:
Every time a cop fires their gun, a nuke is fired at a random target. This will make cops consider the use of their weapons more.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Every time a cop fires their gun, a nuke is fired at a random target. This will make cops consider the use of their weapons more.

ftfy

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Squalid posted:

Sooo more or less a United States of Europe? With centralized control over both economic and military foreign relations, what sovereignty would be left to the constituent states?
Nothing. Just abolish the national bureaucracy and have the subnational entities answer directly to the EP. Devolve as much as you can down to them, which will end up being enough competencies to keep them busy like local taxation, infrastructure, land & water management, urban planning and long term financial outlays for projects in their catchment areas.

blowfish posted:

What competencies does the German parliament have relative to other national parliaments that you'd like to see? I specifically say other national parliaments because the EP is an eunuch among parliaments, lacking even the privilege of initiative.

MeLKoR posted:

The south should be investing in fast/light coastal defense navy and urban warfare specialized infantry that could be fast deployed to any city in Europe.
I agree with the general thrust of your argument but what is the point, in a scenario of integration, for "the south" to be investing in anything as a distinct entity? One doctrinal outlook, one budget, one procurement plan. The only difference would be that Spanish tankers are deployed to Lithuania, and driving the tanks that are already there, prepositioned, supplied and maintained by a military staff that's got a single, integrated outlook on what the defense posture should be. And at that point, why even stop, if you're inducting volunteers across the EU you probably don't have the luxury of forming linguistically coherent units, and even if they start out that way, promotion, attrition and demographic changes will make sure they aren't for long.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MeLKoR posted:

But that's misunderstanding what happened. Yes, Europeans ran out of bombs after a weeks long bombing campaign. But do you think Gaddafi would have been able to stand up to just France alone in a conventional invasion with boots on the ground? Of course not. And the Americans demonstrate very nicely the limits in just lobbing bombs at targets in the ME. Don't sell our militaries short.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The vikings were a religiously persecuted group that attempted mutually beneficial cultural exchanges, but were so often rebuffed by their oppressors that they were forced to arms to defend themselves, though eventually the superior forces of intolerance assimilated them. Don't lump them in with the continuation of the system which destroyed their rich and vibrant culture.

It's because I'm talking about the modern day.

I dunno about that, the Normans and the Rus' were foundational to two countries that are still enthusiastic about the whole military adventurism thing to this very day. :v:

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 25, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

I dunno about that, the Normans and the Rus' were foundational to two countries that are still enthusiastic about the whole military adventurism thing to this very day. :v:
When those groups were formed, the vikings were already well on their way to being completely assimilated into the violent political ideology of Christian Europe.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

Sooo more or less a United States of Europe? With centralized control over both economic and military foreign relations, what sovereignty would be left to the constituent states?

More or less the same amount of sovereignty as the Mexican or American or Australian or Canadian state/province has versus their own central government? After all the biggest aspect of federation is eliminating a vast chunk of the budgets of each member state due to the federal entity taking over major responsibility for both revenue and spending - the former independent states largely restricted to providing local administration and perhaps extra funding raised and spent if they wish to exceed federal standards.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just make it so we have no military response between armed police officers and nuclear weapons. That way people will have to limit their aggression to things cops can deal with, or get nuked.

Hello 1955 era mr Eisenhower, I'd like to tell you about a event called the cuban missile crisis.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AlexanderCA posted:

Hello 1955 era mr Eisenhower, I'd like to tell you about a event called the cuban missile crisis.
That's definitely a point in favor of nuclear diplomacy. Meanwhile, Vietnam was a huge boondoggle.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/leLab_E1/status/879585005961433088

Manuel Valls is leaving the PS. He was already about to be kicked out.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I know, "rats leaving a sinking ship", and all but still:

:byewhore:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
In this case, it's more like a guy who drilled holes in the ship under the pretense of fixing it.

https://twitter.com/leLab_E1/status/879598695439839232

En Marche's representatives have voted to let him join them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
rats

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
It was a ship full of rats and they all did their part in gnawing and scratching and burrowing through the wood.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i can't wait for all the macron toadies to gently caress off in five years

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the socialist group in the assembly will be renamed the New Left group.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

When you say socialist do you mean the PS?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Dunno if it's the same in French but in Dutch we have an expression: "When it rains in Paris, it drips in Brussels."

http://www.lesoir.be/101439/article/2017-06-25/la-wallonie-insoumise-devient-un-mouvement-politique

EDIT: I'm going to start a party called Le Royaume en Marche

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 27, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

YF-23 posted:

When you say socialist do you mean the PS?

yes the parti socialiste

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

yes the parti socialiste

Democratic Republic of China isn't democratic and the Parti Socialiste isn't socialist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SA_Avenger posted:

Democratic Republic of China isn't democratic and the Parti Socialiste isn't socialist.

Makes u think