Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think wizard barristers had much hype after the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think wizard barristers had much hype after the first episode.

Yeah, the unusual thing about Re: CREATORS is that it hasn't hard crashed. It's just been slowly more disappointing.

Mostly, shows settle into a niche pretty quick, but this has seemingly been perpetually in the "Maybe it'll get going soon?" area. Which means more disappointment, since it's slow disappointment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Liver Disaster posted:

All this talk of wasted potential but the Wizard Barristers, Benmashi Cecil hype train crashed so hard from so high everyone forgot about it.

It didn't start out all that high, IIRC. But dang, did it find new ways to be bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It didn't start out all that high, IIRC. But dang, did it find new ways to be bad.

Got any examples? Sounds like a remarkable trainwreck.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Got any examples? Sounds like a remarkable trainwreck.

Episode 11 is the standout, in which they try to tell the dramatic climax of a not-especially-coherent story and make us feel for a bunch of flat, uncharismatic characters despite literally not animating half of it. Like, every ten seconds they'll cut to a shot of a drab brick wall. It's the sort of clusterfuck that's difficult to forget.

EDIT: OK, let's go into a little more detail. In Episode 11, Cecil, the rookie wizard barrister who's our protagonist, is not having a good day. Her slimy, double-dealing boyfriend has betrayed her, and handed her over to the main villain. It turns out that her incredible, super-special magic powers are because she's the key to the gate of hell, so he's going to sacrifice her to summon Satan. So the episode opens with her about to have horrible things happen to her while her friends mount an all-out assault on the villain's headquarters. Slimy boyfriend decides he isn't OK with her getting murdered after all, and gets shot for his trouble. It's unclear how bad we are supposed to feel about this. Despite the best efforts of the secondary cast, the ritual goes ahead, but - quelle surprise - it doesn't work, because Satan has already been summoned. Turns out that she is the enthusiastically gay veteran barrister in Cecil's firm who keeps trying to feel her up, and was just chilling on Earth minding her own business (and groping teenage lawyers, because you've got to have a hobby). She frees Cecil, kisses her, and wanders off. Cecil summons her giant robot (yes, a wizard lawyer has a giant robot, yes, it is a regular fixture of the series) and duels the villain in a spectacular mecha battle above Tokyo, because he also has a giant robot. She defeats him, he surrenders, and - gasp! - he requests her as his defence lawyer in his upcoming trial. Cue the postscript episode.

Picture all of that in your mind. Now picture it when every other animation cut is a lengthy shot of a wall, the night sky, or a metal fence on the roof of a building. It's quite something.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 22, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Episode 11 is the standout, in which they try to tell the dramatic climax of a not-especially-coherent story and make us feel for a bunch of flat, uncharismatic characters despite literally not animating half of it. Like, every ten seconds they'll cut to a shot of a drab brick wall. It's the sort of clusterfuck that's difficult to forget.

EDIT: OK, let's go into a little more detail. In Episode 11, Cecil, the rookie wizard barrister who's our protagonist, is not having a good day. Her slimy, double-dealing boyfriend has betrayed her, and handed her over to the main villain. It turns out that her incredible, super-special magic powers are because she's the key to the gate of hell, so he's going to sacrifice her to summon Satan. So the episode opens with her about to have horrible things happen to her while her friends mount an all-out assault on the villain's headquarters. Slimy boyfriend decides he isn't OK with her getting murdered after all, and gets shot for his trouble. It's unclear how bad we are supposed to feel about this. Despite the best efforts of the secondary cast, the ritual goes ahead, but - quelle surprise - it doesn't work, because Satan has already been summoned. Turns out that she is the enthusiastically gay veteran barrister in Cecil's firm who keeps trying to feel her up, and was just chilling on Earth minding her own business (and groping teenage lawyers, because you've got to have a hobby). She frees Cecil, kisses her, and wanders off. Cecil summons her giant robot (yes, a wizard lawyer has a giant robot, yes, it is a regular fixture of the series) and duels the villain in a spectacular mecha battle above Tokyo, because he also has a giant robot. She defeats him, he surrenders, and - gasp! - he requests her as his defence lawyer in his upcoming trial. Cue the postscript episode.

Picture all of that in your mind. Now picture it when every other animation cut is a lengthy shot of a wall, the night sky, or a metal fence on the roof of a building. It's quite something.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think the operative lesson here is that unless you're willing to do Awesome All Aerial Boat Vs Helicopter duels in your cartoon that the Black Lagoon guy is not the greatest asset to have.

The problem with that theory is that Black Lagoon had really awesome dialogue for the most part. Excellent scripts, good direction.

It also didn't have the show-not-tell problem RE:Creators has.

I wish he was working on Black Lagoon again...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Coincidentally, the Black Lagoon manga did come back from hiatus recently.

And now that it has I can see the resemblance. BL has tons of dialog, memorable characters, and the pacing is weird.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

It has to be seen to be truly appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

a kitten posted:

It has to be seen to be truly appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA

That actual moment when you realize you erased something from your memory, only to have it all come flooding back, and it was under 3 years ago :psyduck:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder how much the fact this anime is behind a lovely wall of Amazon greed makes people dislike this show subconsciously. It's nothing fantastic but it's certainly super entertaining and I've enjoyed it so far, although I watched the first 8 episodes in like a day.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I wonder how much the fact this anime is behind a lovely wall of Amazon greed makes people dislike this show subconsciously. It's nothing fantastic but it's certainly super entertaining and I've enjoyed it so far, although I watched the first 8 episodes in like a day.

not at all, because virgin soul is on the same lovely service but that show is amazing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's quite possible that the show's writing sins are significantly less offensive if you're binging it instead of watching it week to week.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Kanos posted:

It's quite possible that the show's writing sins are significantly less offensive if you're binging it instead of watching it week to week.

Probably, like If I was binge watching I would have skipped over an hour of talking by now.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ahahaha, so they're going to create Re:Creators inside Re:Creators and beat Altair by writing themselves beating her in real time.

PEAK META.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Hey Altair when did you bring Zack Fair into the world

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Nephthys posted:

Ahahaha, so they're going to create Re:Creators inside Re:Creators and beat Altair by writing themselves beating her in real time.

PEAK META.

The show has suddenly become amazing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nephthys posted:

PEAK META.

:aaaaa:

I dropped this show maybe 5 episodes ago, but maybe I should pick it back up.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm now wondering why Sota even involved in any of this. I kept thinking he was one of Altair's original creators. Maybe he drew her or was part of the creation of her original story. I wondered why he couldn't recognize her.

Now, it seems he really didn't have much to do at all with her creation, so why was he essentially one of the first if not the first "god"-humans to get involved with the characters? We know Altair "recognized" him in some way during the initial fight with Selejia in the first episode, but why was he there and how did she recognize him if he wasn't really part of her creation?

Maybe he was the last person Setsuna was thinking about when she jumped in front of the train? Seems like a tenuous tie-in.

I have a feeling that Magane has massively hosed herself by killing her creator. There will be no potential growth for her now. Alicetelia , on the other hand, seems to have inherently grasped the concept that the others are just now figuring out. I wonder if she'll either go independent or join with the "good guys"?

Interesting conversation between her creator and herself in this episode.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oh, that's what the Re: stands for lmao

Everyone that hates the talky talk exposition should just skip this episode, because they were clearly saving animation budget and actually managed to have Meteora recap the recap of their plan they had just made earlier in the same episode.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The new guy looks like Selesia's co-protagonist, or is at least someone wearing the same armor.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

The show has suddenly become amazing.

The show's never been short on interesting ideas. It's always been the execution where it falters.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

:aaaaa:

I dropped this show maybe 5 episodes ago, but maybe I should pick it back up.

...why are you in this thread?

This plan of theirs seems... convoluted. Why not just try to make the public perception Altair sillier and/or worse?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dzhay posted:

This plan of theirs seems... convoluted. Why not just try to make the public perception Altair sillier and/or worse?

Why would a change like that be popular?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dzhay posted:

I just want to see how bad it gets without an actual time investment.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
They spend about half to two thirds of every episode with one character having a huge monologue describing in detail something that was either already explained in almost the same amount of detail in the last episode, or we could easily infer from what little plot developments there actually were after the last episodes giant monologue.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The elephant in the room here is that there's a very popular market out there for making protagonists, antagonists, and even side characters behave in unsavory and silly ways.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Carnival Phantasm was exponentially better than any of the source material.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for them to introduce the 2hu-like character whose official interpretation is very shallow and who's mostly been characterized by the appromixately 16.000 doujins written about her

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm catching up and watching the last 4-5 episodes, and I'm now on Episode 9 and Alice is a seriously dumb person. Magane is all but saying "I AM AN UNRELIABLE PERSON AND HIGHLY LIKELY TO BE TRICKING YOU" and Alice just takes her at her word. I can understand her be written as a straight-forward knight character, but I feel like being so credulous that an enemy saying "Hey I'm not your enemy instead you need to fight some other guy" while literally twirling their mustache would probably interfere with being an effective warrior over the long-term.

edit: Hahaha jesus christ don't tell me that this gullible gently caress is also going to believe/tell The Most Obvious Lie just because he doesn't want people to know about his secret.

edit2: Okay he's not Alice-tier dumb at least.

edit3: There needs to be a sequel where some scientists acquire the blood Mamika dropped all over the city while trying to fly to Alice and start mass-producing magical girls.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 26, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

This show is bad. Like not peddling fascist propaganda bad like some other shows this season, but just plain incompetent bad.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Alice is where I felt like the show went all the way off the deep end as far as characters being boneheaded, but doubly so because it was paired with Yuya(?) being told exactly how Magane's power works and then immediately falling for it again. All that happening in one episode really underlined how Magane's superpower is sapping 50 IQ from anyone she's in a scene with to make you think she's a devilish genius who the show wants you to be in awe of.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Terrible Opinions posted:

This show is bad. Like not peddling fascist propaganda bad like some other shows this season, but just plain incompetent bad.

Which show's that?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Which show's that?

I don't know about fascist but Armed Girls Machiavellism's pitch looks like an MRA revenge fantasy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
my read of this story is that its about every single sonic fanfic coming to life and empowering a evil sonic and now the only way to beat her is for the ultimate crossover fiction event

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

Alice is where I felt like the show went all the way off the deep end as far as characters being boneheaded, but doubly so because it was paired with Yuya(?) being told exactly how Magane's power works and then immediately falling for it again. All that happening in one episode really underlined how Magane's superpower is sapping 50 IQ from anyone she's in a scene with to make you think she's a devilish genius who the show wants you to be in awe of.

I'm still hoping the fact he knew she could steal his powers and wanted that curse gone, but he's also been really quiet of late.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Is Magane's power to make anything real if people deny it? I.e. if she says "there's a giant penis flying through the sky" and you say "no there's not" there will suddenly be a giant sky dildo? That seems like the sort of thing that would be really good up until people figured out how it worked, at which point it would become utterly useless against all but the most incompetent opponents (that mind control guy from My Hero Academia has that same problem; if he ever becomes a famous hero, his power will become useless).

So I ended up not watching the rest of the episodes last night, so I'm still at episode 10. I really hope that the MC literally told suicide girl "go kill yourself" before she suicided, because at least then he would have a legitimate reason for being ashamed and wanting to hide it from people, but I have a feeling that he did something far more benign that allows him to maintain some sort of plausible deniability in terms of his moral rectitude.

In general this show feels really awkward. So little happens! I was giving it the benefit of the doubt for the first several episodes, but it's amazing how little has happened so far. I think that it could be summed up as:

- Animes arrive in real world
- Animes meet their creators
- People discuss the grand plan of Uniform Princess
- People determine the identity of Uniform Princess
- Mamika gets turned into a shish kebab by Uniform Princess

I feel like everything up until episode 10 could have been condensed into just 3 or 4 episodes, easily.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 26, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But then how would it run for 24 episodes?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Phobophilia posted:

my read of this story is that its about every single sonic fanfic coming to life and empowering a evil sonic and now the only way to beat her is for the ultimate crossover fiction event

You've read it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Which show's that?

Maybe they're referring to the ongoing debate about how Attack on Titan wants us to feel about its use of fascist imagery?

For the record, the current answer seems to be 'about as comfortable as you should be with the chief of state in Fullmetal Alchemist being called the Fuhrer - which is to say, not at all', but the jury's still out, and will likely be so for a while.

• Locked thread