Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

lohli posted:

Did either of you read any more than just tweet summarising things?

tl:dr - "You haven't addressed, by your own admission, how to pay for or actually deliver healthcare, but you still have a year to get this through"

California: where good healthcare can be shelved because "how do we pay for it, mannn" but that loving high speed train line is still being built with an empty check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lohli posted:

Did either of you read any more than just tweet summarising things?

tl:dr - "You haven't addressed, by your own admission, how to pay for or actually deliver healthcare, but you still have a year to get this through"
lol if you buy this bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfYfjQEqg58

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Peanut President posted:

California: where good healthcare can be shelved because "how do we pay for it, mannn" but that loving high speed train line is still being built with an empty check.

even funnier: the bill has the details of funding already

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I have never heard of a successful bill that wasn't perfectly drafted with contingencies for all possible situations. If there is one area where half assing stuff won't fly, it's the legislature.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Jimmy is usually pretty good but he went on a rant berating the speaker for not having a plan to fund the legislation that someone else wrote.

steinrokkan posted:

I have never heard of a successful bill that wasn't perfectly drafted with contingencies for all possible situations. If there is one area where half assing stuff won't fly, it's the legislature.

I think here it's less that something isn't completely watertight so much as having a giant gaping hole or two in it.

Their plan is to try to get waivers for all federal healthcare funding(like medicare and federal matching programs) that allows them to redirect it into a trust fund used to try to pay for everyone, and to make part of the legislation "We're assuming they'll let us do that, and we'll try to work out a real revenue plan later".

quote:

(2) It is the intent of the Legislature for the state to work to obtain waivers and other approvals relating to Medi-Cal, the state’s Children’s Health Insurance Program, Medicare, the PPACA, and any other federal programs so that any federal funds and other subsidies that would otherwise be paid to the State of California, Californians, and health care providers would be paid by the federal government to the State of California and deposited in the Healthy California Trust Fund.

quote:

Article 3. Healthy California Financing
100657. (a) It is the intent of the Legislature to enact legislation that would develop a revenue plan, taking into consideration anticipated federal revenue available for the program. In developing the revenue plan, it is the intent of the Legislature to consult with appropriate officials and stakeholders.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2017/06/coming-out-as-a-slytherin/?comments=1

from the woke thread. jesus christ

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Normal parents (including my Reagan, Trump voting ones): "You worked hard. Here, I'll help you pay the tax."

Thinktank sociopaths:

https://twitter.com/GroverNorquist/status/879088544702181378

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I still don't get why you guys don't just include the sales tax in the advertised price of stuff.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Of course the libertarian raised a kid that can't do math

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lohli posted:

I still don't get why you guys don't just include the sales tax in the advertised price of stuff.

That should really be the law of the land.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Sorry kid no guitar for you thanks to those LIBERALS and their taxes. Now, how about a vape instead?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lohli posted:

lobbyists in the US prevent the IRS and state tax agencies from just calculating people's income taxes for them in an automated fashion so that the wealthy can collect rents on otherwise unnecessary tax services

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

sales taxes are regressive

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i wonder what norquist thinks of the elimination of state and local tax deductions for individuals in trump's proposed budget, as it's effectively a tax increase. but that didn't stop him from saying that letting the payroll tax cut expire a few years back wasn't actually increasing taxes so i expect him to either be silent or lie again

lohli posted:

I think here it's less that something isn't completely watertight so much as having a giant gaping hole or two in it.

Their plan is to try to get waivers for all federal healthcare funding(like medicare and federal matching programs) that allows them to redirect it into a trust fund used to try to pay for everyone, and to make part of the legislation "We're assuming they'll let us do that, and we'll try to work out a real revenue plan later".
while that does sound like a horribly put together proposal, that's why you make it not suck and then hash out the details when you put it together, instead of banishing it to a committee, which is the oldest trick in the book in killing legislation

the NY Health act was a much better proposal but because nine shithead democrats let republicans control the state senate in spite of the dem's numerical majority, it didn't pass that chamber for the third year in a row. one senator tried to put it in the annual budget because our horrible state political tradition ensures that most laws will be put in there, but of course that didn't happen

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Jun 26, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/878833591937060864

MLK Jr's message on economics being white washed from history and being replaced with a more "Woke" rewrite makes me weep. I posted this in the woke thread, but it bares reposting

quote:

Our whole campaign in Alabama has been centered around the right to vote. In focusing the attention of the nation and the world today on the flagrant denial of the right to vote, we are exposing the very origin, the root cause, of racial segregation in the Southland. Racial segregation as a way of life did not come about as a natural result of hatred between the races immediately after the Civil War. There were no laws segregating the races then. And as the noted historian, C. Vann Woodward, in his book, The Strange Career of Jim Crow, clearly points out, the segregation of the races was really a political stratagem employed by the emerging Bourbon interests in the South to keep the southern masses divided and southern labor the cheapest in the land. You see, it was a simple thing to keep the poor white masses working for near-starvation wages in the years that followed the Civil War. Why, if the poor white plantation or mill worker became dissatisfied with his low wages, the plantation or mill owner would merely threaten to fire him and hire former Negro slaves and pay him even less. Thus, the southern wage level was kept almost unbearably low.

Toward the end of the Reconstruction era, something very significant happened. (Listen to him) That is what was known as the Populist Movement. (Speak, sir) The leaders of this movement began awakening the poor white masses (Yes, sir) and the former Negro slaves to the fact that they were being fleeced by the emerging Bourbon interests. Not only that, but they began uniting the Negro and white masses (Yeah) into a voting bloc that threatened to drive the Bourbon interests from the command posts of political power in the South.

To meet this threat, the southern aristocracy began immediately to engineer this development of a segregated society. (Right) I want you to follow me through here because this is very important to see the roots of racism and the denial of the right to vote. Through their control of mass media, they revised the doctrine of white supremacy. They saturated the thinking of the poor white masses with it, (Yes) thus clouding their minds to the real issue involved in the Populist Movement. They then directed the placement on the books of the South of laws that made it a crime for Negroes and whites to come together as equals at any level. (Yes, sir) And that did it. That crippled and eventually destroyed the Populist Movement of the nineteenth century.

If it may be said of the slavery era that the white man took the world and gave the Negro Jesus, then it may be said of the Reconstruction era that the southern aristocracy took the world and gave the poor white man Jim Crow. (Yes, sir) He gave him Jim Crow. (Uh huh) And when his wrinkled stomach cried out for the food that his empty pockets could not provide, (Yes, sir) he ate Jim Crow, a psychological bird that told him that no matter how bad off he was, at least he was a white man, better than the black man. (Right sir) And he ate Jim Crow. (Uh huh) And when his undernourished children cried out for the necessities that his low wages could not provide, he showed them the Jim Crow signs on the buses and in the stores, on the streets and in the public buildings. (Yes, sir) And his children, too, learned to feed upon Jim Crow, (Speak) their last outpost of psychological oblivion. (Yes, sir)

Thus, the threat of the free exercise of the ballot by the Negro and the white masses alike (Uh huh) resulted in the establishment of a segregated society. They segregated southern money from the poor whites; they segregated southern mores from the rich whites; (Yes, sir) they segregated southern churches from Christianity (Yes, sir); they segregated southern minds from honest thinking; (Yes, sir) and they segregated the Negro from everything. (Yes, sir) That’s what happened when the Negro and white masses of the South threatened to unite and build a great society: a society of justice where none would pray upon the weakness of others; a society of plenty where greed and poverty would be done away; a society of brotherhood where every man would respect the dignity and worth of human personality. (Yes, sir)

http://kingencyclopedia.stanford.edu/encyclopedia/documentsentry/doc_address_at_the_conclusion_of_selma_march.1.html

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i like how they transcribed the people shouting encouragement during that speech. it's a nice little touch

let's also not forget that MLK wrote something called "Why America May Go To Hell" that was against the Vietnam War, right before he got assassinated

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

i like how they transcribed the people shouting encouragement during that speech. it's a nice little touch

let's also not forget that MLK wrote something called "Why America May Go To Hell" that was against the Vietnam War, right before he got assassinated

I did find out whom this dipshit was btw. Check out his twitter header

https://twitter.com/marcushjohnson?lang=en

They really want "Bernie Bro Ken" to catch on, don't they? Also here's something this guy wrote about the "Far left" being out of touch with black voters. I'm gonna get mad online here, because gently caress gaslighting horseshit

https://theestablishment.co/the-far-left-is-still-out-of-touch-with-black-voters-90194cfddba6

quote:

Black people can see this, they aren’t stupid. They see that the political fringe on the left and most of the right hates Obama for some of the same reasons. So when the far left comes out and says that the first Black President should be held to a different standard than Presidents before him — that he doesn’t deserve to get paid for his post-Presidential work or shouldn’t be compensated — the Black community feels that one of its largest symbols of success is under attack from an overwhelmingly white political movement.

The right's criticism of Barack Obama was for being a "communist", "kenyan", a "secret muslim" , and being a phony. (cue teleprompter jokes).

The left's criticism of The President was of him not getting us out of the Wars (and in fact EXPANDING THEM), Not going for Single Payer healthcare, Not prosecuting Wall Street bankers, Using Drones, Not ending the war on drugs, and just pretty much being a centrist masquerading as a lefty.

How is this the loving same? Should we ignore the injustices that were likely done to the black community under his presidency because he himself was black?

quote:

When Obama, DeRay, or Safety Pin Box is making money, all of a sudden the far left has a problem with it. But when their own organizations and publications are taking Wall Street or corporate donations, there is no anger, no criticism, no vitriol.

People taking money is an injustice regardless of political leaning . TYT is amoral as hell for doing it, as is the former President. DeRay is also COMICAL for taking it. The President was supposed to be a champion for the people he elected. He instead sold them down the loving river while occasionally tossing them a few crumbs (ACA, etc)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lohli posted:

It makes it more difficult for people to realize exactly how much they're getting screwed by a regressive tax structure.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I did find out whom this dipshit was btw. Check out his twitter header

https://twitter.com/marcushjohnson?lang=en

They really want "Bernie Bro Ken" to catch on, don't they? Also here's something this guy wrote about the "Far left" being out of touch with black voters. I'm gonna get mad online here, because gently caress gaslighting horseshit

https://theestablishment.co/the-far-left-is-still-out-of-touch-with-black-voters-90194cfddba6
being a moderate democrat increasingly strikes me as a neurosis instead of a political belief. nobody is going to equate ken with a stupid hair style with being a mansplaining bernie supporter except for the 3% of democrats that think he's a negative for the party (or as i like to call them, "3%er democrats"). completely dismissing the statistics that say age, not race, is the defining characteristic of the bernie/hillary divide is also the sign of a sick political outlook. the problem is, they don't just want it to catch on, it already has- not among most of the electorate, but among their own small but influential clique

i've seen a couple of fb friends share tweets by marcus johnson and they suck. "investing" in wall street, as in stocks, is a hell of a lot different than taking money directly from them for speaking as obama and hillary have done. the "plethora of organizations and publications on the far left" funded by the right had no link to or elaboration of their identities. these opinions have been written and reworded hundreds of times over the years and they say nothing new because they refuse to change

btw The Establishment is the worst Medium site, it's as bad as the name implies

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

being a moderate democrat increasingly strikes me as a neurosis instead of a political belief. nobody is going to equate ken with a stupid hair style with being a mansplaining bernie supporter except for the 3% of democrats that think he's a negative for the party (or as i like to call them, "3%er democrats"). completely dismissing the statistics that say age, not race, is the defining characteristic of the bernie/hillary divide is also the sign of a sick political outlook. the problem is, they don't just want it to catch on, it already has- not among most of the electorate, but among their own small but influential clique

They seem to think that focusing on economic issues and other things brought up by Bernie Sanders magically handwaves any sort of concerns from minorities.

I have yet to meet a Bernie supporter that goes "I don't want to end the war on drugs", "I disagree with Killer Mike on the issues of justice reform", etc, etc. These people in fact regularly share these sorts of issues on twitter and discuss how hosed up things are for minorities in this country.. Christ as someone with new found native american heritage? What Obama did at Standing Rock is abhorrent. His inaction spoke volumes.

In fact I argue what this guy wants is actually coming from the very place of "dudebro-ness" he and others want to tie bernie supporters to. They don't want change. They want incrrementalism, gradualism, and continue to being right leaning centerists. .

That's what angers me about it. They stand in the way of progress. They're terrified of sacrificing any sort of privilege that they have.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
The problem is that we live in a world of finite resources, and you need to pick and choose what gets the focus. Critical theorists and their direct-action counterparts like #BLM create an unwinnable scenario and then complain that their racial justice platform doesn't resonate with the 87% of the country that isn't black. Intersectionality has poisoned activism imo

e.
and to be clear I'm not saying no war but class war, but I think you need to find common cause if you're going to build the kind of political coalition you need to get things done. That common cause isn't going to be a niche identity issue because nobody buys the "[X] justice is economic justice, too!" argument and people need a personal stake in the fight before they're going to show up.

unlimited shrimp has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Jun 26, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

intersectionality used to be about combining different personal backgrounds (race, sexual orientation, gender identity, economic status, etc.) to create a fuller picture of society. now it's used as a cudgel by the woke crowd as a way of saying that you can't solve racism with economic justice. in other words, they're using the concept in the exact opposite way it was originally intended for

the movement for black lives platform did a good job of extrapolating one issue into a whole set of beliefs, but Black Lives Matter is still in the "raising visibility" stage and hasn't done much of anything to advance that agenda. at some point you gotta stop blocking traffic and sharing poo poo on twitter and facebook, and start creating coalitions of like-minded people and organizations and taking on the powers that be. that's how you build a lasting movement

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

intersectionality used to be about combining different personal backgrounds (race, sexual orientation, gender identity, economic status, etc.) to create a fuller picture of society. now it's used as a cudgel by the woke crowd as a way of saying that you can't solve racism with economic justice. in other words, they're using the concept in the exact opposite way it was originally intended for

the movement for black lives platform did a good job of extrapolating one issue into a whole set of beliefs, but Black Lives Matter is still in the "raising visibility" stage and hasn't done much of anything to advance that agenda. at some point you gotta stop blocking traffic and sharing poo poo on twitter and facebook, and start creating coalitions of like-minded people and organizations and taking on the powers that be. that's how you build a lasting movement

I think it actually causes a lot of racist white id pol movements to gain power as a result to boot.

As laughable as that concept sounds it does in fact breed resentment from poor whites and middle class whites. Which either leads to apathy about the BLM-type movements or downright hatred of them. People do not like to preached to about how they have this "original" sin to them all the time, especially when no salvation is offered.

Intelligent people like Nina Turner actually see this as a potential problem and are trying to do things like to talk to poor, rural Appalachian whites. There are some differences with those people versus poor blacks but I imagine there's much more similarities in terms of struggles in regards to education, jobs, clean drinking water, and various things of those nature.

You have to build a coalition of people. This is what MLK Jr. was trying to do and what he was pointing out in his speech at Selma. He was able to point that voting for Jim Crown not only punished black citizens in the south, but also punished poor whites from achieving economic justice of their own via trading it in for the ability to be in a privileged class. THAT is the type of message that needs to be pushed. Not the message we see from 3 percenters.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

zen death robot posted:

Basically: The US is a goddamn mess thats why
the system was designed to be broken

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think it actually causes a lot of racist white id pol movements to gain power as a result to boot.

As laughable as that concept sounds it does in fact breed resentment from poor whites and middle class whites. Which either leads to apathy about the BLM-type movements or downright hatred of them. People do not like to preached to about how they have this "original" sin to them all the time, especially when no salvation is offered.

Intelligent people like Nina Turner actually see this as a potential problem and are trying to do things like to talk to poor, rural Appalachian whites. There are some differences with those people versus poor blacks but I imagine there's much more similarities in terms of struggles in regards to education, jobs, clean drinking water, and various things of those nature.

You have to build a coalition of people. This is what MLK Jr. was trying to do and what he was pointing out in his speech at Selma. He was able to point that voting for Jim Crown not only punished black citizens in the south, but also punished poor whites from achieving economic justice of their own via trading it in for the ability to be in a privileged class. THAT is the type of message that needs to be pushed. Not the message we see from 3 percenters.

BLM does a pretty good job, yeah their are some shithead branches (some college ones and Toronto.) but they try.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the BLM branch here decided a good way to get publicity would be to invade the yearly pride parade and scream homophobic slurs

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

the BLM branch here decided a good way to get publicity would be to invade the yearly pride parade and scream homophobic slurs

What the gently caress

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
idk their website contains some pretty stupid principles like "We see ourselves as part of the global Black family and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black folk who exist in different parts of the world" and "We are committed to disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, and especially “our” children to the degree that mothers, parents and children are comfortable."

As off the deep-end as their Toronto chapter is, you still need a university education and postmodern sensibilities to comprehend and agree with a lot of the "main" platforms beyond what's stated in the name.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Where was this?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"We are committed to fostering an intergenerational and communal network free from ageism. We believe that all people, regardless of age, shows up with capacity to lead and learn."

... kinda gives it away that they're spearheaded by some (((privileged))) college kids hepped up on Critical Race Theory who should definitely be taken seriously because ageism is never okay, guys.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

the trump tutelage posted:

"We are committed to fostering an intergenerational and communal network free from ageism. We believe that all people, regardless of age, shows up with capacity to lead and learn."

... kinda gives it away that they're spearheaded by some (((privileged))) college kids hepped up on Critical Race Theory who should definitely be taken seriously because ageism is never okay, guys.

What do you expect from people who think Fidel Castro, Huey P Newton, and Bill Ayers are swell dudes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol jesus. toronto?

idk their website contains some pretty stupid principles like "We see ourselves as part of the global Black family and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black folk who exist in different parts of the world" and "We are committed to disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, and especially “our” children to the degree that mothers, parents and children are comfortable."

As off the deep-end as their Toronto chapter is, you still need a university education and postmodern sensibilities to comprehend and agree with a lot of the "main" platforms beyond what's stated in the name.

what the gently caress does the last point even mean. what does anti- nuclear family bullshit have to do with taking extended families and neighborhood. i think i know, but i dont want to say it.

What do you expect from people who think Fidel Castro, Huey P Newton, and Bill Ayers are swell dudes

id take the panthers(the og ones) over some woke chucklefuck screaming about harry potter. at least they would scare the conservatives.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/DisabilityTooWhite?src=hash

also apperently this is thing. i mean its cool that people are acutaly trying get more disability activism(the wokes sure as gently caress don't care) honestly. reading through, its not to bad for once. good for them.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Jun 27, 2017

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress does the last point even mean. what does anti- nuclear family bullshit have to do with taking extended families and neighborhood. i think i know, but i dont want to say it.
idk but here's a pretty good clue that there's a more nebulous ideological underpinning to it than it simply being an obtuse restatement of the tired truism that it takes a village to raise a child:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

If you don't think Huey Newton was cool and good you can get to gently caress

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Link?

But yeah that's kinda one of of my main criticisms of that movement. It's a lot of academic types that do things like this and often times come from a place of class privilege. Jonathan Butler at Missouri comes to mind for example. Dude's father is a millionaire.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

idk but here's a pretty good clue that there's a more nebulous ideological underpinning to it than it simply being an obtuse restatement of the tired truism that it takes a village to raise a child:

It seems like your argument here is that they're bad because you're too dumb to understand what they're saying

FuzzySkinner posted:

Link?

But yeah that's kinda one of of my main criticisms of that movement. It's a lot of academic types that do things like this and often times come from a place of class privilege. Jonathan Butler at Missouri comes to mind for example. Dude's father is a millionaire.

BLM is coming from a place of academia and class privilege? What?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

"We are committed to disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, and especially “our” children to the degree that mothers, parents and children are comfortable."

This is about fatherless families getting support from the community but the way it's phrased makes it seem like they're talking about the disintegration of the black family somehow being almost an intended act of rejecting of western norms.

I imagine these people are part of some kind of black communist/socialist group.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

BLM is coming from a place of academia and class privilege? What?

Some fervent supporters of it come from a rich upper class background, yes.

http://www.snopes.com/mizzou-hunger-strike-butler-wealthy/

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

It seems like your argument here is that they're bad because you're too dumb to understand what they're saying

no my argument is that

Crane Fist posted:

BLM['s leadership] is coming from a place of academia and class privilege

because class war is OVER you guys

lohli posted:

This is about fatherless families getting support from the community but the way it's phrased makes it seem like they're talking about the disintegration of the black family somehow being almost an intended act of rejecting of western norms.

I imagine these people are part of some kind of black communist/socialist group.

There's no doubt in my mind that this incoherent platform was put together via the same sort of horizontal democracy that made OWS such a smashing success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Some fervent supporters of it come from a rich upper class background, yes.

http://www.snopes.com/mizzou-hunger-strike-butler-wealthy/

That doesn't seem like a bad thing though? Like it's a movement against police brutality and the commodification of the lives of everyone in the US who isn't white, how dumb do you gotta be to try and impose a loving privilege restriction like it's the world's wokest rollercoaster or something

• Locked thread