Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

Why are you doing that

If you aren't familiar with "crib breaks" then clearly you aren't agile enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

starkebn posted:

Why not change to the new not-SDA retailers union?

RAFFWU are primarily building in Vic but yeah this is what everyone should be doing. Every time a whole SDA shop turns is basically budget for them to hire a new organiser that isn't a grubby Mick poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A crib break is still a break, it's just another word for a break. What instrument are you under that doesn't afford a meal break and one 15 minute rest break?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

JBP posted:

A crib break is still a break, it's just another word for a break. What instrument are you under that doesn't afford a meal break and one 15 minute rest break?

Eureka operations fuel and convenience 2011 agreement, clause 10.5.3

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
despite the incredibly bad name that makes you think of My First Half Life mod, playerunknown's battlegrounds is ridiculously good fun.

it's basically a competitive survival shooter. the core gameplay idea is this: about a hundred people are dumped on an island, last person standing wins. you begin with nothing and must track down weapons and safe spots. there are additional complications, such as artillery strikes, and a blue forcefield of electric death, that complicate things. overall, the rounds take maybe thirty minutes -- shorter if you die, of course.

and, despite being an incredibly unoptimized, somewhat janky alpha, that core gameplay idea (and the core gameplay loop within it) is fantastic.

basically, it works like this. from the moment you land, you land needing to find resources to give you an edge in survival -- weapons, armor, medical supplies. with the resources, you kill players who are competing for the same resources. killing players expends resources, which means you need to scavenge for more resources, which means...

the action is janky and the game is pretty unoptimized, but that core loop is really well executed. additionally, depending on how the game plays it, you get a variety of drastically different scenarios. did you land far from the safe zone? well, you better prepare for a cross-island adventure. did you land well within the safe zone? then you get to fortify and hold your ground against the people who'll be coming there. a lot of the game relies on listening out for other people, as there are no visual cues for where people are coming from. you need to listen for gunfire and footsteps and even people talking as they get closer.

you can play solo, duo or squad (three or four). each method offers a fairly different experience. i've been playing with a variety of auspol goons and it's been a lot of fun blowing away pubbies (this is untrue, i often die in the first exchange of gunfire) and trading verbal jabs with the various strange characters who inhabit oceania. "taiwan is number one", for example, is a good thing to spit out at your killer as you bleed out.

generally, the combat is split between short bursts of frantic, murderous action and longer stretches of tense waiting, watching and observing. it works really well because the map is large enough, and the spawns random earth, to prevent any sort of rote memorization with the lack of visual hud elements (eg: highlighting enemies or incoming fire) forcing players to communicate and call things out, such as coordinates and location. it's also neat because the game gives this feeling of being stuck on an island with a bunch of murderers, which is probably assisted by the purestrain verbal idiocy that people will be shouting over chat. it all comes together really well and it's really fun to boot.

once this game gets better optimized and less janky, it's going to be pretty amazing. as it is, its very solid and definitely worth the purchase.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

gently caress. wrong thread. oh well.

the game has bike helmets.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Milky Moor posted:

despite the incredibly bad name that makes you think of My First Half Life mod, playerunknown's battlegrounds is ridiculously good fun.

it's basically a competitive survival shooter. the core gameplay idea is this: about a hundred people are dumped on an island, last person standing wins. you begin with nothing and must track down weapons and safe spots. there are additional complications, such as artillery strikes, and a blue forcefield of electric death, that complicate things. overall, the rounds take maybe thirty minutes -- shorter if you die, of course.

and, despite being an incredibly unoptimized, somewhat janky alpha, that core gameplay idea (and the core gameplay loop within it) is fantastic.

basically, it works like this. from the moment you land, you land needing to find resources to give you an edge in survival -- weapons, armor, medical supplies. with the resources, you kill players who are competing for the same resources. killing players expends resources, which means you need to scavenge for more resources, which means...

the action is janky and the game is pretty unoptimized, but that core loop is really well executed. additionally, depending on how the game plays it, you get a variety of drastically different scenarios. did you land far from the safe zone? well, you better prepare for a cross-island adventure. did you land well within the safe zone? then you get to fortify and hold your ground against the people who'll be coming there. a lot of the game relies on listening out for other people, as there are no visual cues for where people are coming from. you need to listen for gunfire and footsteps and even people talking as they get closer.

you can play solo, duo or squad (three or four). each method offers a fairly different experience. i've been playing with a variety of auspol goons and it's been a lot of fun blowing away pubbies (this is untrue, i often die in the first exchange of gunfire) and trading verbal jabs with the various strange characters who inhabit oceania. "taiwan is number one", for example, is a good thing to spit out at your killer as you bleed out.

generally, the combat is split between short bursts of frantic, murderous action and longer stretches of tense waiting, watching and observing. it works really well because the map is large enough, and the spawns random earth, to prevent any sort of rote memorization with the lack of visual hud elements (eg: highlighting enemies or incoming fire) forcing players to communicate and call things out, such as coordinates and location. it's also neat because the game gives this feeling of being stuck on an island with a bunch of murderers, which is probably assisted by the purestrain verbal idiocy that people will be shouting over chat. it all comes together really well and it's really fun to boot.

once this game gets better optimized and less janky, it's going to be pretty amazing. as it is, its very solid and definitely worth the purchase.

Still better than miaposting

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

here's my hot takes - pubg is good because i get to shoot people, and it's very intense

fair warning, I will shoot you to death if we get stuck outside the circle and I think death is certain

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

so basically hunger games

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

that's what i said but i was told NO IT'S LIKE BATTLE ROYALE MILKY YOU loving IDIOT

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

NPR Journalizard posted:

This post caused me physical pain

Besides, if you want a non-garbage knock off of BR, go listen to the audiobook version of red rising

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

that's what i said but i was told NO IT'S LIKE BATTLE ROYALE MILKY YOU loving IDIOT

I hope you replied "no, its nothing like that mobile game" just to wind them up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

Eureka operations fuel and convenience 2011 agreement, clause 10.5.3

That's a loving garbage agreement. Whoever allowed a clause to completely override the previous one like that should be shot in the head. You should at the very least get your 15 mins for over 7.5hrs.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

JBP posted:

That's a loving garbage agreement. Whoever allowed a clause to completely override the previous one like that should be shot in the head. You should at the very least get your 15 mins for over 7.5hrs.

Mate, I'll give you one guess who signed off on it.

E. And yes, he should be.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 25, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Since when did Mama Mia do game reviews?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Since when did Mama Mia do game reviews?

Since her son thought becoming a journalist could get you laid.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
gently caress off, Mayne.

https://twitter.com/MayneReport/status/878925973856542720

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
What's that sound? Oh boy, it's the sound of a bunch of internal Greens information you may or may not care about!

Lee Rhiannon didn't decide off her own bat to go rogue and vote and campaign against Gonski 2.0. She was directed to by Greens NSW.

The NSW party (not branch, the Greens are a federation, not a national party with branches) has been campaigning hard on Gonski and on maintaining the funding agreement signed between the Feds and the states. Our position since 2010 has been "nothing less than Gonski" in any negotiation.

Along comes Sarah Hanson-Young who decides she's going to improve her profile and stave off the NXT hounds baying at her door by appearing professional and sitting down with the goddamn Liberals to horsetrade on a funding package which was never going to be better for public schools than Gonski. She did this without a mandate from the membership, against the wishes of the AEU and the Teachers Federation (and the overlap between the Venns of "member of Federation" and "member of Greens NSW" is almost concentric) solely on the advice of a bunch of centrist Canberra think-tanks.

Labor were smelling blood over this and were gearing up for a savage campaign on "the Greens did a deal on public school cuts." Members of the party were going nuts lobbying SHY and RDN, we were directing our National Council delegates to kick up a stink, the Education Working Group was on fire, and going as far as having our state Education spokes lobbying over this. TFed were calling on members and supporters to email SHY and RDN. Still, SHY proceeded with the negotiations and refused to rule out voting for it. She was going to bumblefuck the party into losing half of its vote.

So we went nuclear, and bound Lee (as we have the power to under the Australian Greens constitution) to vote and campaign against Gonski 2.0, crossing the floor if necessary.

Now, the PR are having a cry and trying to pin it on Lee as though it was her decision - although let's be fair, the letter they sent was not actually their complaint, RDN's chief of staff just wanted to have a spray at Lee in national media like she's been doing since she was a NSW MP. Hilariously, though, they've done this at the same time the federal party are begging NSW for more money.

So yeah. I make no apologies as a NSW Green who tried to push the party from the brink of a Democrats moment. gently caress SHY, she's been consistently awful on education policy since she wandered into the Senate.

Also lol at the idea of replacing Lee with Buckingham. Buckingham is a profoundly stupid alcoholic deadshit whose long-term vision for the Greens is "the Nationals but we don't like coal." I mean it's a valid position if you're an accelerationist who wants to see the Greens die a fiery death so that leftists flock back into Labor.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Labor were smelling blood over this and were gearing up for a savage campaign on "the Greens did a deal on public school cuts."

Oh good now they can save themselves the bother.

At least tell me there's good news with the upcoming Vic State Election?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Thanks for the write up qm. I look forward to Buckingham getting the full blessing of the tree tories that run the federal poo poo show.

Death is certain.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

It's good to know even members of the Greens think SHY is a selfish bitch.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

PYNE BOASTS: LIBERAL LEFT RULES, SAME-SEX MARRIAGE COMING SOON

Christopher Pyne has let slip what seems Malcolm Turnbull’s final explosive plan for the Liberal Party he’s turned into Labor-lite.

The Defence Industry Minister last Friday tipped the Turnbull Government would deliver same-sex marriage, and grinned: “It might even be sooner than everyone thinks.”

This suggests the Prime Minister is secretly plotting to break an election promise to hold a people’s vote to decide this divisive issue — or will be forced to it by the party’s dominant Left.

But Pyne’s boasting at a Sydney bar is likely to instead trigger a revolt from conservative MPs already furious that Turnbull has signed up the Liberals to Labor-style policies on global warming, school funding and debt.

Copying Labor’s position on same-sex marriage as well will be the final insult.

Pyne’s prediction could detonate an explosion that destroys the party and Turnbull’s leadership.

But Pyne, a key Turnbull loyalist, sounded excited on Friday when he addressed a reception of the “Black Hand” — Left-wing Liberal MPs and supporters — before the party’s federal council.

(Read full column here. I'll play the leaked tape of Pyne's comments on The Bolt Report on Sky News at 7pm)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/a...7eb551b67877ea3

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Frogfingers posted:

Oh good now they can save themselves the bother.

At least tell me there's good news with the upcoming Vic State Election?

Not as involved with VIC but I'm told that Greg Barber is resigning his LC seat for a potential tilt at Brunswick. Ellen Sandell will probably run again in Melbourne. Kathleen Maltzahn is running again in Richmond because the VIC Greens (oh sorry I mean the Australian Greens Victoria) are incapable of learning, and Northcote is up in the air because there's a civil war in Darebin and Alex Bhathal is trying to get a leftie in.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lol Turnbull making the plebiscite happen would cause so much damage to his party and society as a whole.

Open the bloodgates

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Lol Turnbull making the plebiscite happen would cause so much damage to his party and society as a whole.

Open the bloodgates

it must happen

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Anidav posted:

Open the bloodgates

I read that as dropping plebiscite and just doing it. Which is the nuclear option.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Finally, years of accelerationism is... paying off :australia:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The hilarious part is that "Just doing it" simply means allowing a conscience vote; because only 3 libs would have to vote yes to get it over the line I think.

He wouldn't even need to personally vote for it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CLEEN COAL

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

What's that sound? Oh boy, it's the sound of a bunch of internal Greens information you may or may not care about!

Lee Rhiannon didn't decide off her own bat to go rogue and vote and campaign against Gonski 2.0. She was directed to by Greens NSW.

The NSW party (not branch, the Greens are a federation, not a national party with branches) has been campaigning hard on Gonski and on maintaining the funding agreement signed between the Feds and the states. Our position since 2010 has been "nothing less than Gonski" in any negotiation.

Along comes Sarah Hanson-Young who decides she's going to improve her profile and stave off the NXT hounds baying at her door by appearing professional and sitting down with the goddamn Liberals to horsetrade on a funding package which was never going to be better for public schools than Gonski. She did this without a mandate from the membership, against the wishes of the AEU and the Teachers Federation (and the overlap between the Venns of "member of Federation" and "member of Greens NSW" is almost concentric) solely on the advice of a bunch of centrist Canberra think-tanks.

Labor were smelling blood over this and were gearing up for a savage campaign on "the Greens did a deal on public school cuts." Members of the party were going nuts lobbying SHY and RDN, we were directing our National Council delegates to kick up a stink, the Education Working Group was on fire, and going as far as having our state Education spokes lobbying over this. TFed were calling on members and supporters to email SHY and RDN. Still, SHY proceeded with the negotiations and refused to rule out voting for it. She was going to bumblefuck the party into losing half of its vote.

So we went nuclear, and bound Lee (as we have the power to under the Australian Greens constitution) to vote and campaign against Gonski 2.0, crossing the floor if necessary.

Now, the PR are having a cry and trying to pin it on Lee as though it was her decision - although let's be fair, the letter they sent was not actually their complaint, RDN's chief of staff just wanted to have a spray at Lee in national media like she's been doing since she was a NSW MP. Hilariously, though, they've done this at the same time the federal party are begging NSW for more money.

So yeah. I make no apologies as a NSW Green who tried to push the party from the brink of a Democrats moment.
gently caress SHY, she's been consistently awful on education policy since she wandered into the Senate.

Also lol at the idea of replacing Lee with Buckingham. Buckingham is a profoundly stupid alcoholic deadshit whose long-term vision for the Greens is "the Nationals but we don't like coal." I mean it's a valid position if you're an accelerationist who wants to see the Greens die a fiery death so that leftists flock back into Labor.

If you think that's the way this was being seen i have a bridge to sell you. If it was the party itself writ large it was dumb as poo poo to do this, and if the decision by the federal shitshow is to cut ties with NSW straight up it would not be surprising nor viewed by anyone except inside the bubble as a bad thing. Lose half tge vote to Labor over Catholic schools? Pull the loving other one. This was hard ball unionism and ideology to be contrarian for contrarians sake.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Lid posted:

If you think that's the way this was being seen i have a bridge to sell you. If it was the party itself writ large it was dumb as poo poo to do this, and if the decision by the federal shitshow is to cut ties with NSW straight up it would not be surprising nor viewed by anyone except inside the bubble as a bad thing. Lose half tge vote to Labor over Catholic schools? Pull the loving other one. This was hard ball unionism and ideology to be contrarian for contrarians sake.

actually pretty much the only people pushing the Greens to do a deal with the Libs on letting them shred the funding agreements and slash funding were in "the bubble" - fucksticks like national journos and the Grattan Institute. The Turnbull plan is going to lock in below-standard resourcing for almost every public school and also lock in 80% resourcing standard for privates, rather than locking in a flexible funding arrangement based on need.

My LGA is going to lose 28 million dollars from our public schools because of this, and the Greens were going to get decimated at the next election if we were seen to be supporting that. Labor was revving the engines on a "greens dealing with the liberals" campaign, which hits us hard, and in this case would hit us especially hard in a core constituency. TAS were adamant they'd lose a state MP over it, QLD were pretty loving concerned too.

But hey, you say "hard ball unionism," I say "listening to the people who are actually going to be dealing with the fallout." You're aware TFed/AEU have like 85% density right? And something like a third of the Greens vote, if not more, is from teachers and public servants?

Also lol "cut ties with NSW." The Federal party needs NSW far more than we need them. Gonna be fun blocking giving them the extra forty grand they're begging for next state council!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
If what you're saying is true how is it the other 7 were against it too? Your story doesn't add up. It looks like it has Left Renewals fingerprints all over it with a huge ego and grandstanding.

That the lines were drawn and are drawn by Labor since their stance to the election is that that they will refund the Catholic schools... this is such bullshit coming from you.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

good, bring on the splits

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Lid posted:

If what you're saying is true how is it the other 7 were against it too? Your story doesn't add up. It looks like it has Left Renewals fingerprints all over it with a huge ego and grandstanding.

That the lines were drawn and are drawn by Labor since their stance to the election is that that they will refund the Catholic schools... this is such bullshit coming from you.

Ah yes, Left Renewal certainly has the power to bind an entire working group, two state reference groups and a right-wing state spokesperson over "ego". Are you loving serious?

And are you seriously saying the AEU is concerned about funding for Catholic schools? It doesn't cover private teachers, and isn't Labor affiliated.

You're an idiot.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Ah yes, Left Renewal certainly has the power to bind an entire working group, two state reference groups and a right-wing state spokesperson over "ego". Are you loving serious?

And are you seriously saying the AEU is concerned about funding for Catholic schools? It doesn't cover private teachers, and isn't Labor affiliated.

You're an idiot.

To address his question though, if, as you portray it, this is just SHY and RDN, then why has every other national green, including generally respected people like Bandt and Ludlum, signed on to the criticism?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It seems like a bad idea to even consider negotiating with the Libs on anything. Any negative outcome will be blamed on the Greens and any positive attributed to the Libs. Gonna end up negotiating themselves into irrelevance.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

QM what modelling did you guys use to figure out cuts under gonski 2.0? there seems to be a lot of numbers put out by various groups but i'm not sure which ones actually reflect reality.

open24hours posted:

It seems like a bad idea to even consider negotiating with the Libs on anything. Any negative outcome will be blamed on the Greens and any positive attributed to the Libs. Gonna end up negotiating themselves into irrelevance.

if the greens never negotiate, they're giving up their position as the largest bloc on the crossbench and thus the easiest way for the government to pass bills labor won't support for nothing. even if in practice they don't support much the lnp proposes, it's worth it to stay in the game in case they accidentally come up with good policy (eg the senate voting changes)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sydney house prices have almost doubled in five years. Doubled.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/the-aftermath-of-the-boom-how-five-years-of-soaring-prices-has-changed-sydney-20170622-gwm06d/

quote:

The great Sydney property boom has now been raging for half a decade, with prices jumping on average $100,000 a year.

In 2012, the median house price was $646,000. Today, it is $1.15 million and the city’s population is largely split between property millionaires and perennial renters.

It's been fascinating to note - especially since I was overseas for most of 2014/15 - how quickly the narrative shifted from "there is no bubble, houses are affordable, you just have to work hard," to "OK there is a bubble but it's going to level off or deflate." I'm no economist, so genuine question: has there ever been a historical case of a bubble easing off rather than bursting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BBJoey posted:

QM what modelling did you guys use to figure out cuts under gonski 2.0? there seems to be a lot of numbers put out by various groups but i'm not sure which ones actually reflect reality.

if the greens never negotiate, they're giving up their position as the largest bloc on the crossbench and thus the easiest way for the government to pass bills labor won't support for nothing. even if in practice they don't support much the lnp proposes, it's worth it to stay in the game in case they accidentally come up with good policy (eg the senate voting changes)

The greens should take up Sinn Fein's policy of abstention.

• Locked thread