Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I grew up in a home with six people and one full bath, you can make it work.

My dad's family had 7 with one full and one half bath. No one managed to kill each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

We're getting into "And I had to walk up hills both ways to school in the snow" territory here.

Remember, just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's optimal.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

That's a nice pizza oven. Imagine the end result based on the first picture before looking at the rest.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ExplodingSims posted:

We're getting into "And I had to walk up hills both ways to school in the snow" territory here.

Remember, just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's optimal.

This. I bought the house I grew up in from my mom and stepdad and are currently finishing up converting the 2 bedrooms upstairs to a master suite and adding a bathroom. My stepdad can not wrap his head around why we would want a second bathroom, despite the fact that I have 2 older brothers and a step sister, and we all lived in here together. He loves to talk about how many people he shared a bathroom with in the Navy.

I think he changed his mind a bit when he saw how big our new bathtub is. I am 6'2"(stepdad is taller than I am) so we put the biggest tub we could manage(70") in so that I can finally have a bathtub I can comfortably sit in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Guys if you have walk in closets and want to feel like a loving rock star, put a motion sensing switch and a valet chair in there.

My closet stays uncluttered and clean because it's functional and feels special. This was honestly not what I expected from it. Best $17 I ever spent.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jusupov posted:

That's a nice pizza oven. Imagine the end result based on the first picture before looking at the rest.

:grovertoot:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jusupov posted:

I loved the description: "Decided to make a pizza oven last summer inspired by the primitive technology guy, and some instructables that I found online." because it set up this incredible dunk in the comments: "no worries, primitive technology also shows how to build a house."

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 24, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jusupov posted:

quote:

Wood is not a good oven building material.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A pizza oven will not function as a ceramic kiln, and his ceramic kiln door was not going to fire well anyway (way too wet, far too thick), in addition to leaving his fire unattended overnight next to his house being really dumb.

Obviously storing the kindling and wood directly under the burning oven you put on a wood platform goes beyond really dumb into the darwin award sort of territory.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Leperflesh posted:

A pizza oven will not function as a ceramic kiln, and his ceramic kiln door was not going to fire well anyway (way too wet, far too thick), in addition to leaving his fire unattended overnight next to his house being really dumb.

Obviously storing the kindling and wood directly under the burning oven you put on a wood platform goes beyond really dumb into the darwin award sort of territory.

Plus it was clay he just dug out of the ground. I do not make pottery, but that seems like a silly idea.

I'm also paranoid about unattended fires. Even something "contained" in an oven, I would never be able to get to sleep knowing I have very hot coals going right outside my house.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bird in a Blender posted:

Plus it was clay he just dug out of the ground. I do not make pottery, but that seems like a silly idea.

Where do you think clay comes from? :raise:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

Where do you think clay comes from? :raise:

Seriously, guess what the "terra" in terra cotta means.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

He says he dried the clay first but he's still an idiot.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Scary? :ohdear:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wasabi the J posted:

Guys if you have walk in closets and want to feel like a loving rock star, put a motion sensing switch and a valet chair in there.
I did the motion switch thing in our master bath, and it's really loving star trek to wake up at 2am and take a leak without having to fumble for the right button.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

I did the motion switch thing in our master bath, and it's really loving star trek to wake up at 2am and take a leak without having to fumble for the right button.

What happens if you got the shits real bad and you spend over a half hour on the shitter?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

What happens if you got the shits real bad and you spend over a half hour on the shitter?

The whole family getting food poisoning is pretty much the single bathroom nightmare scenario. You have to take like 2 minute shifts on the toilet while everyone else dances around trying to hold it in.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Facebook Aunt posted:

The whole family getting food poisoning is pretty much the single bathroom nightmare scenario. You have to take like 2 minute shifts on the toilet while everyone else dances around trying to hold it in.

This seems like a very likely scenario. Best to have 1.5 bathrooms per person just in case. 7.5 is a good and sensible number. You never can be too safe. Maybe a portajohn in the yard to be double sure in case of BBQ or pool party shits.

Edit: what is it with goons and their seeming total lack of control over their bowels?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 25, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Indolent Bastard posted:

This seems like a very likely scenario. Best to have 1.5 bathrooms per person just in case. 7.5 is a good and sensible number. You never can be too safe. Maybe a portajohn in the yard to be double sure in case of BBQ or pool party shits.

Edit: what is it with goons and their seeming total lack of control over their bowels?

You never got your lifetime supply of ExLax IVs when you signed up????

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Indolent Bastard posted:

Just keep a fresh one of these suckers in the closet in case of emergency. https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Luggable-Portable-Gallon/dp/B000FIAPXO/

Or, y'know, just poop in the garden.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Glue an Apollo bag to your bunghole.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kid sinister posted:

There are sensitivity and timing controls built into the face of the switch. So you can set the trigger to hold the light on for 5 minutes or so to combat that, since its unlikely you'd be perfectly still in that timeframe.

Also, the master has two sets of lights (vanity + overhead), so it's easy to hit the traditional switch on your way in if you're showering or have Serious Sugar free Gummybear induced work to do.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Semi-OC in that one of my dad's neighbors said "Half the house goes out whenever the AC kicks on." They had already been ripped off by an A/C repair person and electrician. My dad got him an electrician who is on the up and up, and their house is getting a new panel.

(100A main)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jusupov posted:

Ahaha, the firemen dunking on him

quote:

I make the walk of shame to the front of my house wearing nothing but a pair of pants (no shirt no shoes) in November in a cold climate and try to explain to them that I have everything under control. That didn't work. They park the truck and come to the backyard to check it out. At this point I notice that the firemen all have bed head so I start apologizing for having woken them up. As we round the corner of my house and they see the slightly steaming rubble their faces go from amped firemen ready to save lives to a sort of let down "not again" kind of emotion. One of them snatched the garden hose out of my hand, and the others smashed what little remained of the oven until it was fully out.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Semi-OC in that one of my dad's neighbors said "Half the house goes out whenever the AC kicks on." They had already been ripped off by an A/C repair person and electrician. My dad got him an electrician who is on the up and up, and their house is getting a new panel.

(100A main)

A rare instance where a customer isn't exaggerating the problem. That right there would definitely take out power for exactly half of the 120v circuits. (and all of the 240v ones)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FilthyImp posted:

Motion-activated lights in the bathroom at night would be hell for me, too bright for night time.

I put a LED nightlight in my bathroom that turns on automatically when it's dark. Enough light to take a piss accurately and avoid stepping on the cat, but still dim enough that eyes in dark mode can handle it.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You seem to be confusing not wanting to have to wait for someone to finish a shower so I can poo poo in my own home with lack of control.

For me 1.5 would be just fine in even a larger house, it's all about having the toilet that isn't tied up by someone using the shower. Beyond that having a master bathroom is nice, but obviously not necessary.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

FilthyImp posted:

Former landlady let her dad put motion activated lights in all the bathrooms, laundry room, and kitchen.

I hate that man for a number of reasons, but when I finally destroy him, I will tell him his worst sin was putting motion activated lights everywhere.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
We have the overhead set as motion activated. There's like a 2watt LED in there, so it's dim enough to be pleasant at night.

Contrast that with the 8 90Watt equivalent Bright White lights the previous owner had in the vanity. :cool:

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Former landlady let her dad put motion activated lights in all the bathrooms, laundry room, and kitchen.
Yeah I definitely wouldn't put them all over the house. Maybe in the entryway but the laundry room? gently caress that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My master bathroom light switch was a lit switch. Now it's unlit and I have no idea how to replace that bulb. Eventually I'll take it apart but my guess is it's a tiny wired-in bulb intended to last the lifespan of the switch.

Anyway point is if your light switch has a tiny light in the switch then you can find it at night. For maximum control, a gently lit dimmer knob lets you find the switch and control light level without having to at some point flash the firmware or download a bugfix patch for your goddamn light switch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

My master bathroom light switch was a lit switch. Now it's unlit and I have no idea how to replace that bulb. Eventually I'll take it apart but my guess is it's a tiny wired-in bulb intended to last the lifespan of the switch.

It’s probably a miniature neon lamp. They can be wired across the mains with nothing more than a resistor, they’re cheap, they last decades, and they don’t generate much heat so they’re good for enclosed spaces.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NancyPants posted:

Is the building on a historic register? That could definitely account for it, no matter the time it was renovated. My local code says:

No. In that city, it's rare to see anything newer than ~1930s designated as a historic site, and it's well outside of the historic neighborhoods in that area. It was a pretty typical 60s apartment complex, aside from the window thing (they basically built 2 buildings back to back... multiplied several times). It got turned into "student housing" by one of those student apartment companies that pop up in college towns.

They gutted the interiors, replaced the roof and insulation, and replaced all appliances (including HVAC - they now have heat pumps for their primary heat source). Also ran fiber to each unit, and redid the electrical and plumbing for the entire property. All they really kept was the exterior walls and windows (why not throw in double pane windows when you're already stripping it that far down? even my 1984 apartment has double pane windows..)

With the amount of renovation they did, I'm really surprised they got away with not doing sprinklers or fire alarms.

Suspect Bucket posted:

My parents own a 2br/2b 1000sq/ft 50's South Florida condo that has a very similar layout, just mirror your buddies' layout and line 'em up with a 5ft deep lanai at the end. The 'bathroom through the bedroom' thing is a lot more common down there. The layout you posted is also extremely like the 1br variants within the condo building, with only windows in the kitchen, but because the 1br's are located in the middle of the condo building, against the elevator shaft. It's legal, and not a bad layout really. Just gotta maximize that natural light with mirrors and light colored walls. One I saw had made a 'window' in the wall of the bedroom through to the kitchen and installed louvers, just to let a bit more light in. Looked nice in a white beadboard and seafoam teal beachy theme.

Having 1 bathroom per bedroom was considered hella swank in the 50's.

They (property management company) painted all of the walls gray. :argh: But yeah the bedrooms are up against a bedroom on the other side, and in the middle of the building. I think it was a row of 12 apartments on each floor. 2 floors, double sided.

The bathroom via bedroom thing is incredibly common here, and drives me loving crazy. I couch surfed with some friends for a couple of months in such a layout, and having to barge in on them while they were sleeping just so I could piss was a bit out of my comfort zone (even if they were sleeping). My last apartment was like that as well, and it was kinda embarrassing having friends go through my bedroom to get to the bathroom when I had guests over.

My 2 non-negotiable things when I was looking for an apartment last year: bathroom accessible without going into the bedroom, and full size W/D connections. One thing I really didn't want to budge on was ample parking / no parking permits (and I managed to luck out on this where I'm at now). But this is an early 80s apartment that was originally a condo development, about 800 sq ft (advertised as 750, but the room measurements are much larger than what the floorplan states). The floorplan I posted/asked about was closer to 450-500 sq ft.

wolrah posted:

Motion-activated lights in the bathroom at night would be hell for me, too bright for night time.

Oh hell no. My bathroom has the typical 4 globe vanity fixture (with 4 x 40W bulbs). My hallway has a recessed light with a PAR38 bulb (LED flood that uses 11 watts), and it's close enough to the bathroom to give me enough light to poo poo/piss (and even shower, if I'm hungover bad enough that I don't want to deal with light - I live alone, so the door doesn't get used).

I tried going with much dimmer LEDs in the vanity fixture, but they kept making GBS threads out after a few weeks. Guessing they didn't like the humidity (no window, and the fan in there just moves air around). I'm too cheap to buy low wattage LEDs that are also damp/wet rated. Therefore, the vanity gets turned on maybe a couple of times a week.

For an extra bit of gently caress you, the switches for the light and fan are swapped around from how you'd expect them. The fan is loud as poo poo, and I'm pretty sure they're equally loud in every apartment here (I can hear when every neighbor on every side has theirs on, for example).

Leperflesh posted:

Eventually I'll take it apart but my guess is it's a tiny wired-in bulb intended to last the lifespan of the switch.

Nailed it. Like Platystemon mentioned, they're often tiny neon bulbs. Or used to be. Newer ones usually use LEDs. Either way, just replace the switch.

I prefer the neons, personally. They don't die if you get a power surge, and don't usually die with no warning - you'll usually get years of dim flickering before they go out completely.

The cheaper ones using LEDs often use just a resistor as well. Better ones will at least use a capacitor to smooth out the flickering.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Nailed it. Like Platystemon mentioned, they're often tiny neon bulbs. Or used to be. Newer ones usually use LEDs. Either way, just replace the switch.

I prefer the neons, personally. They don't die if you get a power surge, and don't usually die with no warning - you'll usually get years of dim flickering before they go out completely.

The cheaper ones using LEDs often use just a resistor as well. Better ones will at least use a capacitor to smooth out the flickering.

Neons are still cheaper than LEDs and last longer, and are good for all the other reasons.

In the LED ones, the super-cheap stuff, the capacitor is there instead of the resistor. They're using capacitive reactance for their voltage drop; the capacator doesn't do anything for the flicker (that's a function of a single LED only lighting on half the AC cycle).

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

I hate wire shelving with a passion and I will irl fight anyone who thinks it's ever a good idea, come at me

What's so bad about it? Specially in a pantry it seems to make cleanup much easier.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bubblyblubber posted:

What's so bad about it? Specially in a pantry it seems to make cleanup much easier.

In that all your flour falls onto the things below? Or onto the floor underneath?

I've never found a wire anything that's easy to clean with all those narrow gaps and gunk-filled joins.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Safety checks have found 34 more high-rises with the flammable cladding installed. Four towers were found to have other problems so unsafe that they are evacuating the inhabitants until repairs can be made:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...9da7_story.html

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Arachnamus posted:

In that all your flour falls onto the things below? Or onto the floor underneath?

I've never found a wire anything that's easy to clean with all those narrow gaps and gunk-filled joins.

If it was free standing and easy to drag outside and pressure wash and you were a masochist I could see it being "easy" but no, a flat shelf you wipe sounds easier to me.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Neons are still cheaper than LEDs and last longer, and are good for all the other reasons.

In the LED ones, the super-cheap stuff, the capacitor is there instead of the resistor. They're using capacitive reactance for their voltage drop; the capacator doesn't do anything for the flicker (that's a function of a single LED only lighting on half the AC cycle).

the aisle lights at the theatre i work at go from 120VAC to three LEDs with two diodes and two resistors

they have less than a year before the intensity drops below 70%, generally

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I use a wire rack shelf for all my frogs and geckos. I can run the tubes for the automated misting system, and all the wiring for the lamps, down through the wire shelves. It's strong enough to support the weight but the shelf heights are flexible so I can switch different height tanks around. And, it's easy to ziptie flourescent lamp fixtures to the undersides of shelves in a rearrangable way, and also not worry about heat dissipation.

My wife doesn't like the way they look but in terms of functionality they're perfect.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Leperflesh posted:

I use a wire rack shelf for all my frogs and geckos. I can run the tubes for the automated misting system, and all the wiring for the lamps, down through the wire shelves. It's strong enough to support the weight but the shelf heights are flexible so I can switch different height tanks around. And, it's easy to ziptie flourescent lamp fixtures to the undersides of shelves in a rearrangable way, and also not worry about heat dissipation.

My wife doesn't like the way they look but in terms of functionality they're perfect.

just how many geckos do you have in your gecko lair, my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leperflesh posted:

We'll need pics to judge the crappiness of the construction. Post pics. Be judged.