Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Milosh posted:

Has anyone tracked Trump's sleep schedule via his tweets?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/27/donald-trumps-twitter-habits-tell-us-lot-first-100-days-president/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

I'm jonesing while I wait for whatever's coming monday.

Teaser is up

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rust Martialis posted:

I love watching puling millennials flip out over the idea of going to war. You hysterical babies, lol. China can't do jack poo poo to the USA. Grow the gently caress up.

We've been at war in various places since 2001. There are Americans who don't remember a time when their country wasn't at war.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Chilichimp posted:

Those tapes absolutely existed and we'll absolutely never get to hear them.

Tbh I don't really think the tapes exist, or that he was really aware of any at the time. I think he genuinely thought he could try to intimidate Comey publicly on twitter so he just came up with w/e bullshit he had on mind. But yeah, even if they did exist we certainly aren't going to see them anymore.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rust Martialis posted:

Nah just the screeching about the USA being destroyed by China is moronic. All the "we're all gonna diiiiiiiiiie" compared to how we grew up in the Cold War makes you all look like idiots.

Kindly gently caress off with your moronic nay-saying. "There will never be another Great War!" said many right before the bombs dropped on their cities.

There is always a risk of war, and downplaying that is a terrible idea.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

He claimed that he didn't create them or have them. He then went on to claim that, while president, he didn't know if someone ELSE was recording his conversations without his knowledge.

What this means is, someone else created them and is keeping them (or recently got rid of them) when it was determined that the contents of the tapes made him look super loving bad.

Those tapes absolutely existed and we'll absolutely never get to hear them.

While I don't doubt that really happened, I'm going to say they never existed, not because Trump is playing 11-dimensional chess, but he believes he was, but it was such a blatant ruse that Comey (and most people) saw through it. It's the equivalent of "my uncle works at Nintendo" to shut down an argument and prove him right, but then Comey actually has photos of him and his uncle, in Nintendo overalls and name tag, in a factory in Japan with Shigeru Miyamoto and has an unmarked beta version of Super Mario Bros. 3 for playtesting.

Also, it's natural now for Trump to do something without realizing that it has legal ramifications. If those tapes existed like he claimed, he would have to turn them over as part of the investigation. If he destroyed them because of incriminating evidence, then he's destroying legal evidence. It would have been better off to never claim the tapes existed or, if they did exist, never acknowledge their existence before leaking them to the press to counter Comey's claims. But Trump being Trump, he couldn't do both of those things.

Eox posted:

I checked back three pages and I'm very disappointed nobody posted this yet

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/878946025662296064

Goddamn, I thought this was from last year, until I checked the date. Why did he post this? Does his brain think it's still 2016?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I swear he has reverse sundowning some days. It's probably just the morning shows though.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

Kindly gently caress off with your moronic nay-saying. "There will never be another Great War!" said many right before the bombs dropped on their cities.

Not shocked that respectable American liberals openly lust for war with China

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/878959840378466304

This is why I think even the Fox News audience might be exposed to the truth on this bill. Even the local papers here in NE Ohio are putting stuff like this on the front page.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Peven Stan posted:

Not shocked that respectable American liberals openly lust for war with China

What open lust are you referring to?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Jealous Cow posted:

This is why I think even the Fox News audience might be exposed to the truth on this bill. Even the local papers here in NE Ohio are putting stuff like this on the front page.
I hope this kind of thing cuts through for sure, but on a small note lol at "-15%" next to an arrow pointing up. Language like "reduction in subsidies" next to an up arrow representing increased costs overall (but no actual text saying that) is way more confusing than it needs to be

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

waffle posted:

I hope this kind of thing cuts through for sure, but on a small note lol at "-15%" next to an arrow pointing up

I'd wager that they debated this for awhile, figuring that if they put a down arrow, someone would think it actually lowered the cost of something.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

There Bias Two posted:

"There will never be another Great War!" said many right before the bombs dropped on their cities.

This is definitely not true, there was a wide understanding that the Great War hadn't fundamentally changed anything, and that a second war was very possible, particularly after Hitler was elected. Part of appreciating risk is recognizing the various degree of threats. Realistically the possibility of a worldwide war is very low, in particular because the US has the only significant naval fleet. The world wars were predated by military buildup on all sides.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

FizFashizzle posted:

So I heard Jane Sanders inflated the promised donations to secure some loans for her hippy college and her husband made a phone call to help her out, now the Trump DOJ is going to make an example of her just because it rings too close to home for the president and he loves to project.

In a parallel world where Sanders is president, we'd never hear the last of this and the Republicans would be starting impeachment proceedings over it.

In this universe, no one cares.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Jealous Cow posted:

FYI, the Fox News crowd is 100% okay with most of the bottom row and probably some other parts, too.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Abner Assington posted:

FYI, the Fox News crowd is 100% okay with most of the bottom row and probably some other parts, too.

Yeah the second I saw the bottom row I knew the GOP were going to crop out the top and say look at the good we are doing.

It's going to pass. My Mom is going to die. My friends are going to die... gently caress the GOP

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rust Martialis posted:

I love watching puling millennials flip out over the idea of going to war. You hysterical babies, lol. China can't do jack poo poo to the USA. Grow the gently caress up.

I'm 50 and I don't know where you're coming up with this attitude. Trolling I guess.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Had an argument with someone yesterday about the healthcare plan - they only watch Fox News and use Drudge for information.

"Do you agree that the disabled should always have healthcare?"

"Yes"

"Do you agree that the disabled have a right to protest?"

"Yes"

"Do you think it's right for disabled protesters to be dragged from their wheelchairs?"

"No"

::shows the video of disabled protesters being dragged from their wheelchairs::

"Well that's private property and they should have behaved"

:suicide:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kaal posted:

This is definitely not true, there was a wide understanding that the Great War hadn't fundamentally changed anything, and that a second war was very possible, particularly after Hitler was elected. Part of appreciating risk is recognizing the various degree of threats. Realistically the possibility of a worldwide war is very low, in particular because the US has the only significant naval fleet. The world wars were predated by military buildup on all sides.

Sure there was a wide understanding, but nay-sayers also existed.

I wasn't talking about the likelihood of a world war, he was talking about the possibility of a conflict with China. I only brought up WWI to highlight the ridiculousness of the assertion. Given the drastic military build up in the South Pacific and increasing tensions in the region, particularly with Japan, it's not something that can be completely ruled out especially considering that we are obligated to assist them if they go to war.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

EugeneJ posted:

Had an argument with someone yesterday about the healthcare plan - they only watch Fox News and use Drudge for information.

"Do you agree that the disabled should always have healthcare?"

"Yes"

"Do you agree that the disabled have a right to protest?"

"Yes"

"Do you think it's right for disabled protesters to be dragged from their wheelchairs?"

"No"

::shows the video of disabled protesters being dragged from their wheelchairs::

"Well that's private property and they should have behaved"

:suicide:

Did you ask him how government buildings can be construed as private?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Boggles the mind how the GOP came up with a bill that fucks over a substantial part of their electorate hard. American politics are weird.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There Bias Two posted:

Did you ask him how government buildings can be construed as private?

"That's public property"

"No it isn't"

Person I was talking to has a pension and fully paid for healthcare.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jealous Cow posted:

This isn't the worst graphic ever made but it's close. I know what the bill entails and I can still barely decipher that top box.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Young Freud posted:

Goddamn, I thought this was from last year, until I checked the date. Why did he post this? Does his brain think it's still 2016?

He's angry because Bernie would have won and he wouldn't have had to be president

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

EugeneJ posted:

"That's public property"

"No it isn't"

Person I was talking to has a pension and fully paid for healthcare.

Sometimes you just have to wait for people to die.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Freezer posted:

Boggles the mind how the GOP came up with a bill that fucks over a substantial part of their electorate hard. American politics are weird.

White Americans attach so much of their self worth to a racist construct they will happily saw off their feet if you hint that it'll make a black man stub his toe.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/politico/status/878957209761271809

quote:

As the White House formulates its official policy on Iran, senior officials and key Trump allies are calling for the new administration to take steps to topple Tehran’s militant clerical government.

quote:

“The policy of the United States should be regime change in Iran,” said Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), who speaks regularly with White House officials about foreign policy. “I don’t see how anyone can say America can be safe as long as you have in power a theocratic despotism,” he added.

quote:

As a member of Congress, Trump’s CIA director, Mike Pompeo, last year publicly called for congressional action to “change Iranian behavior, and, ultimately, the Iranian regime.”

Watch Trump start a loving war.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's nothing really new....his admin has a lot of anti-Iran hardliners but I don't think they have enough influence to start a war. He's also going to need a better justification than 'regime change'. Iraq wasn't THAT long ago and we are still dealing with that mess.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

There is zero chance that with the Republicans controlling everything we won't start a war somewhere. It'll probably happen once they push through as much terrible legislation as they can.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Doesn't action against a state require 60 votes in the Senate?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I didn't think Trump had actively colluded, I was leaning towards useful idiot of everyone around him, until that tweet. Might as well be a confession.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Freezer posted:

It's super easy when your electorate's refusal to pull the lever for anybody else means you can focus more on what to do with your power instead of how to best maintain it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TARDISman posted:

The U.S. political system for all practical purposes ceded authority for war starting to the executive branch about half a century ago, we technically haven't been in a "war" since, just a series of police actions leading to quagmires.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

I didn't think Trump had actively colluded, I was leaning towards useful idiot of everyone around him, until that tweet. Might as well be a confession.

Yeah the tweet simply means Trump's preoccupied with the investigation into Russia collusion. It's the tell tale heart beating under the floorboards of his White House.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
No one tell Trump about the AUMF!

Caros
May 14, 2008

TARDISman posted:

2001 AUMF against terrorists. Iran gave funding to militarnt groups in Iraq, ergo we can invade their country without provocation.

I doubt they will actually do it however. That poo poo would spell the end of the Trump administration, and they have to know it. Americans had to be coerced and decieved into Iraq by the threat of WMD's, and no one is buying that poo poo if 9/11 isn't fresh in their minds. If Trump starts a war in Iran he is out on his rear end the next chance the electorate gets.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nevvy Z posted:

Trump Thread II: I was leaning towards useful idiot, until that tweet

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
well this is somethin

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/878980628452175872

bij
Feb 24, 2007

A war with Iran would be such a profound clusterfuck that a sick little piece of my mind is intrigued at the prospect. The first antiship missile slamming into an oil tanker and the subsequent $10/gal gas would be a hell of a thing to behold.

Just to be clear: HOLY gently caress DON'T GO TO WAR WITH IRAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

"But I've voted for a lot of senseless things so...."

Collins won't commit to defending PP, it's just going to be her excuse for voting no (if the bill is already going to fail).

• Locked thread