Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bob NewSCART posted:

That's loving awesome and I'm going to install that

The only thing missing from CoC is any sort of story. They have some quests that give you light motivation to trek around, but its mostly a freeplay sandbox of being depressed in the Ukraine and also mutants.

If you have played a lot of stalker in the past, I recommend Ironman mode to give you more tension. Don't forget to grab friendlies fo tag along with you and soak up some fire/provide an early auto weapon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fellis posted:

The only thing missing from CoC is any sort of story. They have some quests that give you light motivation to trek around, but its mostly a freeplay sandbox of being depressed in the Ukraine and also mutants.

If you have played a lot of stalker in the past, I recommend Ironman mode to give you more tension. Don't forget to grab friendlies fo tag along with you and soak up some fire/provide an early auto weapon!

People like the DrX questlines mod that adds plot lines for each faction.

I just wish that Azazel mode could be set to only use stalkers from your current faction, it'd be a neat way to play the Warfare mod.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bob NewSCART posted:

That's loving awesome and I'm going to install that

Uh, if this is your first time playing STALKER I definitely don't suggest you start with CoC. If not, then have at it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

STALKER bundle with all 3 games is $10 on Steam right now, tell your friends!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I found out the other day that Open AL, which is the sound platform that STALKER uses, has been continued in an open source development. One of the things which have been added is HRTF, or stereo positional audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Uuktg75c4

Here's a couple of minutes in Agroprom with the effect enabled.

You can install it using this guide: http://www.bitoutsidethebox.com/shabda/hrtf-info/#2

The only addition is that you need to drop a copy of soft_oal.dll in your bin folder and selecting OpenAL Soft as your sound device.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 25, 2017

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Damegane posted:

It's the same effect as shooting a helmet off a guy; maybe you killed him, maybe you didn't. Either way, it looks great to see the pot bouncing up. Not likely to ever happen for STALKER though, yeah.

Have to admit when playing the old JFK game one of my fav side games was to try and shoot Jackie's hat off without killing her

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Gave up on Call of Misery, now I'm doing regular old CoC w/ ao3 and warfare. It's all well and good except everyone's too much of a bullet sponge. How do I address this?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
smarch config is good

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

sea of losers posted:

smarch config is good

Thanks. I just downloaded this and warfighter (despite the horrible name). We'll see how it goes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

I really miss these games, and wish we could have gotten some more sequels. I loved creeping around in abandoned factories with a vintorez and a shotgun, ready to face and mutants or bandits that reared their heads.

The vintorez was for sure my favorite weapon throughout the games. It just feels so thematic The Tide in CoP was a monster, and was often my weapon of choice.

Tide was always my choice in CoP so I bought it asap on my first big CoC playthrough where I went through the SoC story as a loner but it turned out to be really terrible and tedious for clearing the hallways full of heavily armored monolith in the NPP due to excessive zoom/no ironsignts, tiny magazine and low ROF so as soon as I got out of there I sold it and bought an avalanche and a thermal scope and never looked back

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I didn't think that it was possible, but positional audio has managed to make the various labs scare the hell out of me again. It turns out that bloodsuckers are a lot scarier when they actually sound like they're around you.

poverty goat posted:

Tide was always my choice in CoP so I bought it asap on my first big CoC playthrough where I went through the SoC story as a loner but it turned out to be really terrible and tedious for clearing the hallways full of heavily armored monolith in the NPP due to excessive zoom/no ironsignts, tiny magazine and low ROF so as soon as I got out of there I sold it and bought an avalanche and a thermal scope and never looked back

The STCoP mod pack includes the Val and the Vikhr, so you can roll subsonic no matter where you are. The Vikhr specifically has a great model and quickly became my favorite gun in the game.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 25, 2017

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i reinstalled coc with a bunch of mods (ao3, texture and weather overhauls, doctorx quests/faction relations, dynamic anomolies, unlocked ai that im not sure is working, fast travel that i have not found at all) and i cannot for the life of me find a freaking h&k usp .45. i also dont know which suit can get 5 artifact slots since they seem to keep changing that

also does anyone know how to make news appear from levels other than the one you're in?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

OK, I finished Lost Alpha and I have to say how much I appreciate SoC being released the way it was. They trimmed a lot of the fat and made the pacing in general a lot better. Also I liked the crazy marathon shootout with the Monolith forces at the CNPP much better than the anticlimactic way LA ends. Still, it scratched that itch to return to the Zone, though I think it'll be a while before I go back.

What's next? MISERY? Hahahahah no, I don't hate myself that much.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I liked a lot of the system ideas misery 2.0 had but then they went and made everything some nightmarish bullet sponge.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

In the grand scheme of hardcore STALKER mods misery 2 was pretty reasonably balanced imo once you figured out how to repair weapons and cook food and that you have to sell the trash to the right vendor at the base to get your money's worth. Then again, I have fond memories of alpha squads

With these mods you need to use your advance slowly and use your binoculars to make sure you never stumble into a fight, and control the terms of every fight you start (ie start every fight with a headshot or rifle grenade from behind cover up a hill)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 26, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I liked a lot of the system ideas misery 2.0 had but then they went and made everything some nightmarish bullet sponge.

And they tried to justify it in the FAQ lmao

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sea of losers posted:

i reinstalled coc with a bunch of mods (ao3, texture and weather overhauls, doctorx quests/faction relations, dynamic anomolies, unlocked ai that im not sure is working, fast travel that i have not found at all) and i cannot for the life of me find a freaking h&k usp .45. i also dont know which suit can get 5 artifact slots since they seem to keep changing that

also does anyone know how to make news appear from levels other than the one you're in?

get the march from nimble

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

poverty goat posted:

In the grand scheme of hardcore STALKER mods misery 2 was pretty reasonably balanced imo once you figured out how to repair weapons and cook food and that you have to sell the trash to the right vendor at the base to get your money's worth. Then again, I have fond memories of alpha squads

With these mods you need to use your advance slowly and use your binoculars to make sure you never stumble into a fight, and control the terms of every fight you start (ie start every fight with a headshot or rifle grenade from behind cover up a hill)

Adding more game systems seems like it could be fun, but Jesus Christ I read something on the Misery ModDB page about needing to find materials to sharpen knives in order open tin cans in order to cook them and decided that these were maybe not the good kind of additional systems.

Like the idea of more complicated food and economic systems is interesting because maybe you could simulate a flow of goods through the Zone, creating a dynamic economy that you could actually interact with and impact. Instead it seems like there are more layers of busy work for ultimately the same mechanic.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Busy work that ends up meaning nothing is what Misery is all about. LMAO

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

turn off the TV posted:

Adding more game systems seems like it could be fun, but Jesus Christ I read something on the Misery ModDB page about needing to find materials to sharpen knives in order open tin cans in order to cook them and decided that these were maybe not the good kind of additional systems.

Like the idea of more complicated food and economic systems is interesting because maybe you could simulate a flow of goods through the Zone, creating a dynamic economy that you could actually interact with and impact. Instead it seems like there are more layers of busy work for ultimately the same mechanic.

I refuse to play any mod that makes soviet rifles and bullets expensive to acquire and maintain. :colbert:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

I refuse to play any mod that makes soviet rifles and bullets expensive to acquire and maintain. :colbert:

This. Funnest part of the mod is using a cheap pistol and shotgun exclusively to make a living in Zone. Ammo prices sadly make that undoable in alot of cases.

Think my latest playthrough ended when I got the.338 Lapua unique M40A1 and became a king.

The issue with cans etc aren't a huge problem since you generally will be eating either stuff you hunt or MREs once you get pretty rich.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Misery 2.0's problems can be summed up in three points:

-it believes that immersion can be fabricated by making the player stare at menus. It cannot.

-it believes that the game should be realistic until that ends up being beneficial to the player. It's realistic for you to die in one headshot but it would be beneficial to you if enemies behaved the same way, so enemies get to survive unrealistic amounts of damage but you don't.

-gently caress you. Press F9.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Digirat posted:

Misery 2.0's problems can be summed up in three points:

-it believes that immersion can be fabricated by making the player stare at menus. It cannot.

-it believes that the game should be realistic until that ends up being beneficial to the player. It's realistic for you to die in one headshot but it would be beneficial to you if enemies behaved the same way, so enemies get to survive unrealistic amounts of damage but you don't.

-gently caress you. Press F9.

The second reason here is why I have steadfastly avoided Misery. I don't mind excessive menu management or stupidly complicated systems that in their quest for 'realism' achieve the opposite, but a game where the lowliest bandits can survive multiple headshots with a high caliber rifle, and then turn around and one-shot plink you with a Makarov, does not sound fun at all.

Is Call of Misery any better in that regard?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The actual game had a similar problem. Easy mode meant you had lots of health, but so did everyone else. I always played on hard so the baddies would go down in one headshot.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, but at least the vanilla game is consistent within a difficulty level- if you don't survive a headshot, neither do they. Misery is balanced like a Bethesda game where you get less and they get more.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cojawfee posted:

The actual game had a similar problem. Easy mode meant you had lots of health, but so did everyone else. I always played on hard so the baddies would go down in one headshot.

None of the difficulty levels actually change how much health anyone has, they change the percentage of attacks that do no damage. :eng101: :suicide:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

None of the difficulty levels actually change how much health anyone has, they change the percentage of attacks that do no damage. :eng101: :suicide:

I found this image that states that in all difficulties only 20% of enemy shots do damage.

I also found this link too which says something similar

http://www.metacognix.com/stlkrsoc/WhatYouKnowThatAintSo.html

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dreamsicle posted:

I found this image that states that in all difficulties only 20% of enemy shots do damage.

I also found this link too which says something similar

http://www.metacognix.com/stlkrsoc/WhatYouKnowThatAintSo.html

The link is talking about weapon accuracy, bloom and per shot multipliers, not how many shots actually connect but don't deal damage. He's correct in saying that accuracy of the NPCs don't actually change between difficulties.

As far as I can tell the additional health isn't actually additional health, it's that at the lower difficulty settings some attacks just don't deal damage, for both the player and NPCs. Even on master not all attacks will deal damage, which is why sometimes when you plonk a guy in the head he shrugs it off just fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When they say loot is "a lot" in novice, does that mean like a poo poo ton of ammo in crates? I remember seeing my friend play SoC and he said that he didn't cheat or use a mod and every crate he opened had a bunch of stuff in it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cojawfee posted:

When they say loot is "a lot" in novice, does that mean like a poo poo ton of ammo in crates? I remember seeing my friend play SoC and he said that he didn't cheat or use a mod and every crate he opened had a bunch of stuff in it.

Yeah, each difficulty level progressively removes more items from stashes, boxes and NPC inventories.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

poverty goat posted:

get the march from nimble

dude i aint no noob, he doesnt have it

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yanov is looking mighty pretty these days

I lied, but the pictures do at least look the part

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

Is Call of Misery any better in that regard?

I recently downloaded Call of Misery and STCoM (and all the patches and fixes) and it's great. The damage system seems very realistic and fair, and enemies definitely don't feel like bullet sponges. Don't know how the game would play without STCoM but I see no reason not to install it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i honestly never experienced what people talk about in misery where everyone kills them immediately and they do no damage, except where it makes sense i guess? when i shoot dudes in a leather vest in the head with a pmm, they die in 1 hit. if i tried the same thing on a guy in military grade armor, it wouldn't work, but the same applies to me. i never had dudes instantly kill me when i have good armor, and people seemed to die just as fast as i do when we had similar equipment.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Daaaaaamn what mod is that?

;)

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
The Stalker 2 we all wanted?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The lighting in the first STALKER is better than those. :colbert: .

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

The lighting in the first STALKER is better than those. :colbert: .

Honestly the actual effects are starting to look pretty dated, even if the actual light itself still looks pretty great. I'm hopeful that the 64bit version of Open Xray will allow for some nice new shaders, models and textures.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, I meant that tongue-in-cheek. I don't really know much about the guts of the xray engine but whatever method of bump/parallax/normal mapping it uses looks seriously heinous to me these days especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Swartz posted:

Just thought I'd post a cool new thing Bangalore did that does the following:
1) Greatly reduces microstutter in the game
2) Decreases lag caused by lua files
3) Increased memory ceiling before a crash

http://www.mediafire.com/download/15brgil3s1z47rs/lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll

It works with CS and COP. Make sure you back up your original lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll.

I just bought CoP an am installing it right now. Is this file necessary? Because it's set to private and I can't download it :)