Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
They actually seriously believe that they're arguing with derek,they believe derek made himself an account called Derek smart and that he's the real thing.
The mind boggles.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Citizens are doing what they always do, trying to be right about things they know gently caress all about and tying themselves up in knots with semantic pedantry while totally ignoring the core issue which is:

Why, after taking $150 million of YOUR money do CIG need a loan?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's no way I could have guessed the year, but I did expect Chris to do whatever it took to maintain the illusion that he wasn't the biggest failure in the history of game development. Before he lies to anyone else he lies to himself. He lies about how he's competent, he lies about how he's successful, he lies about how his magnum opus is going to revolutionize gaming, he lies about everything. His only talent is self-delusion, of being so convinced by his own bullshit that he comes off as genuine to anyone he needs something from. Those who have already served their purpose are immediately disregarded for the next source of income. Original backers got screwed so that new backers could have previously limited features, older ships were abandoned for new concept sales, and now every backer left is screwed so CIG can enjoy a little more time on life support.

:perfect:

XK posted:

I just want to ask a question about this, to the more knowledgeable financial Goons.

I'm assuming the notes that have to be put in the "Brief description" are legally compelled by some kind of financial disclosure regulation. The specific lines they put in there are required by law from verbatim lists of required disclosures.

If that is true, the one that specifies "all the property or undertaking of the company" is essentially a government required announcement that everything period is on the line.

Yes. It's the equivalent of a UCC-1 filing here in the US, which lets other borrowers know that you have pledged (<---- LOL!) your assets to another loan holder.

So if you decide to lend money to a company that already has a loan, and a UCC-1, it means that whoever is before you, is 1st position and gets priority. In the event of a default, the 1st position gets priority. Most banks will never take a 2nd position without substantial equity to cover their risk. It's like a mortgage. House is worth $500K. You borrow $200K on 1st loan. You have $300K equity. You can borrow up to a certain percentage (Loan To Value) of that $300K to a second borrower. That's how home equity loans/LoC work.

spacetoaster posted:

So I'm reading through all those documents and I notice that in 2014 all the shares for foundry 42 were owned by Erin Roberts and two other people (who had a smaller amount of shares).

Then there's a document transferring ownership of those shares to cloud imperium games.

I'm assuming that cloud imperium games paid a lot of money for those shares. :colbert:

Is that how they could be sucking money out of the "game" and getting it legally into their pockets?

I wrote about this in my blog. Basically Erin took money out of the company by selling back his "free" shares to the company - that he runs. It's the classic way of taking money out of an asset. And he can get away with it because there are no investors or banks to object. As per this loan, he couldn't have done it at this point. They timed it well. He got the cash, stripped the company of cash assets.

Tokamak posted:

The IP has some value, but whether they can sell it for that value is a different matter. Look at 38 Studios for example. The IP was thought to be valued at around $20 million, but at auction they didn't get a high enough offer so it was never sold. I wouldn't be surprised if the bank looked at the money coming in and valued the IP at something like $30 million. The bank went to the trouble of taking ownership of the IP and licensing it back. It is pretty clear that the IP is a large component of the collateral. I can't imagine banks are very good at valuing video game IP. Occasionally banks will gently caress up and offer an arrangement which comes back to bite them in the rear end. This might be one of those cases.

That's correct. Also, they secured everything. Which includes future tax credits, everything in their offices etc.

He's a loving moron. Of course they have loans. There is a NatWest loan - right there - in the filings, and which I have reported on several times.

This is a NEW loan - that nobody knew about.

And we don't know if they have loans in the US, as those are only unsubstantiated rumors by sources.

shrach posted:

quote:

MedicineHut posted:
IANAL, (by the way Toast/MoMA is not one either as he is just a poxy paralegal) but by the looks of the documents Schedule 1 suggests CIG UK Ltd / F42 Ltd would retain the Star Citizen (MMO part only?) IP and exploitation/distribution rights (SQ42´s IP seems oddly not specifically excluded from collateral, although the definition of "Game" is missing) while section 4 suggests that they can be charged for any and all of the revenues that may be derived from "the Game" (presumably both SC and SQ42) in order to fulfill the loan obligations.

Knowing which clause supersedes which, in case of conflict, would be great too.

TL;DR: Maybe a loan to finish off SQ42?
I think we've almost solved this now. Someone that is not me (effort) will need to identify a specific clause in there to invoke the IP exclusion.

The only place I see the term, "Excluded Collateral" used is in the definition of "Collateral". So there needs to be an actual clause that is using the specific term "Collateral".

If the word / term "Collateral" does not appear anywhere in any of the clauses, the definition of the term is irrelevant, whatever they might have been trying to do. An idea of what might be in there somewhere would be something like:

42. The Chargor pinky swears not to try any sneaky take backsies with regard to any of the collateral mentioned in sections 4 and 5.

It would be in the actual loan docs. This filing is just similar to a UCC-1 here in the US. It's just a notification. Other parts of the filing make it clear that everything is attached as security to this loan. There is no ambiguity.

Michaellaneous posted:

To make this a bit easier on people who are confused:

Base Rate is a rate set by the Bank of England for loans to other banks. Interest rates are usually based on this.
Margin is a percentage in which the actual interest rate can fluctuate over a year, based on findings by the bank, etc.

The actual Interest Rate for CIG is in no way either 0.25% or 2%. It is 2.25% + Interest Rate for this loan. The actual amount is undisclosed but large businesses loans are usually between 5 and 10% + Margin and Base Rate.

It's just like here in the US. The base (aka prime) is the govt. benchmark for lending. Banks will lend based on that, while increasing it based on the creditworthiness and risk involved in the loan. That's why some people pay 3.5% mortgages, while others pay 6%.

In the case of this loan - which has a negative pledge (as in negative equity) - the interest rate is bound to be high. Especially since if the company folds, the IP is worthless due to lack of a game. See 38Studios, and every other gaming company that failed, and the IP never sold.

shrach posted:

I mean you could maybe argue it's worse. So I think this is the relevant section for the context:

The way I read this is that once CIG pays off the loan, all the collateral is returned to them. But since collateral excludes the IP, it's saying that the IP is not returned to CIG even when they pay off the loan. I dunno.

This is just the public filing and isn't supposed to be accurate as per the actual loan docs in terms of those sort of specifics. What's important is that there is a "rolling charge" against every loving thing now and in the future, that these companies own or will own. That's all that matters - and it's right there in Section 4 -5, and on the charge filing front page.

Xaerael posted:

If the rabid defence that's been going on doesn't prove that the "vocal" fans are either staff/paid shills or amongst the stupidest people on the planet, I don't think anything will.

It's a bailout. The tank is empty. When I took out my starter loan back a few years ago to get my business going, there was nothing like these terms. A loan like this is a signal that insolvency is a present and looming threat.

That's correct. And the bank did this because they figured out that in order to secure the loan, they had to attach/secure all the companies assets.

It's like trying to buy a $500K house and putting up your $100K house as collateral. The bank looks at your credit, ability to pay, risk etc - and asks for more collateral. Just ask Donald Trump.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Textbook open development imo :colbert:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:laugh:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
how are people so stupid to think that any bank is going to hand out a million+ dollar loan at a lower interest rate than what you'd make from a free checking account

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Well I'm glad Youtuber BOREDGAMER could clear this whole mess up, looks like we got it wrong people, this is actually really great news after all.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nicholas posted:

how are people so stupid to think that any bank is going to hand out a million+ dollar loan at a lower interest rate than what you'd make from a free checking account

No, you see, this is how it works:

A bank gives you a loan, and you keep that money in the account and it makes more in interest than you pay in interest

In this way CIG are being really clever, you see the money makes more money, it's like a perpetual motion machine but for money. Other businesses don't do this because Chris is a visionary and no one else though of it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nicholas posted:

"Uh CIG is using this money to invest in financial instruments that are sure to pay off, which a multinational investment bank would never do."

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

TheAgent posted:

the gray market is dumping their prices by another 25 to 40%

anyone with half a brain will demand a refund and get the gently caress out before it's too late

That's it, keep spreading that fine FUD goonie. The lower the grey market goes the more the savvy investors can buy up to flip later for 4x + what they're going for now. The real smart citizens are going to make bank if they buy up big now.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

peter gabriel posted:

No, you see, this is how it works:

A bank gives you a loan, and you keep that money in the account and it makes more in interest than you pay in interest

In this way CIG are being really clever, you see the money makes more money, it's like a perpetual motion machine but for money. Other businesses don't do this because Chris is a visionary and no one else though of it.

its so fundamentally stupid only someone in deep denial about being scammed could continue to believe it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nicholas posted:

its so fundamentally stupid only someone in deep denial about being scammed could continue to believe it.

But you see it might be true if I believe enough

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's just bizarre that they think these brilliant moneymaking schemes 1) are so obvious that they understand them from looking at this document 2) are so easy to pull off 3) the bank themselves would be unaware of this scheme and not get in on it, alone.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It's just bizarre that they think these brilliant moneymaking schemes 1) are so obvious that they understand them from looking at this document 2) are so easy to pull off 3) the bank themselves would be unaware of this scheme and not get in on it

I'm picturing the bank manager going :argh: as he begrudgingly hands over piles of cash to CIG mumbling 'dammit you guys got us real good' through clenched teeth

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

gently caress yes

Looks like I'm reading this thread regularly again

:munch:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
LOL!! This clown is emailing the bank, instead of Chris Roberts. He thinks Coutts are going to divulge private info about a client? :yikes:

just emailed coutts to clear up the misinfo about star citizen kickstater

Also, BoredGamerUK is a wanker.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/878989545026584576

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

I'm picturing the bank manager going :argh: as he begrudgingly hands over piles of cash to CIG mumbling 'dammit you guys got us real good' through clenched teeth

Or
Bank Manager: So if you this 100 million, I will get a massive ship just for myself that I can fly around in and do anything I want?
Croberts: *snicker* Of course. JUST DO IT

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! This clown is emailing the bank, instead of Chris Roberts. He thinks Coutts are going to divulge private info about a client? :yikes:

just emailed coutts to clear up the misinfo about star citizen kickstater

:lol:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

peter gabriel posted:

Confound those CIG boys! Oh how I hate them! I hate Ben! I hate Chris! And I hate Sandi! They drive me to pledge!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Chris Roberts took a 0.25% interest loan from the bank and then bought their Certificates of Deposit with a 1.00% rate. He has in effect created an infinite money loop.

I have over 14 years experience as a morrowind alchemist finance manager.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Decrepus posted:

Chris Roberts took a 0.25% interest loan from the bank and then bought their Certificates of Deposit with a 1.00% rate. He has in effect created an infinite money loop.

It makes sense the bank would do this to get on Star Citizen bandwagon. Everyone wants to be associated with the genius of Chris Roberts.

Ben Lesnick, Negotiator probably brokered the deal.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Decrepus posted:

Once Chris burns through infinite money doing mocap of guys with mops though he can just licence the investment algorithm to other banks and make some more money to continue the mocap.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ben Lesnick, Negotiator probably brokered the deal.

well, it does say that you need a million pounds in assets so all good there

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Would anyone be surprised if CIG's crack legal team missed that and inadvertently put up the whole company by accident?
"Just don't give away the homeworld."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

shrach posted:

Once Chris burns through infinite money doing mocap of guys with mops though he can just licence the investment algorithm to other banks and make some more money to continue the mocap.

One of the mocap sessions was of people making new money, so once again Chris's vision pays off

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Would anyone be surprised if CIG's crack legal team missed that and inadvertently put up the whole company by accident?

Well the legal team are the guys who said 'no take backsies' in refund request replies so I think CIG are in good hands thank you and good day sir

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

One of the mocap sessions was of people making new money, so once again Chris's vision pays off

Chris personally did the mocap for this.
He had 1000 dollar notes and attached ping pong balls to each of them, to provide that extra fidelitiy.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
is the game out yet

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
http://www.cgmagonline.com/2017/06/25/star-citizen-developer-in-financial-woes/

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

serious norman posted:

is the game out yet

Define game

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

serious norman posted:

is the game out yet

You're playing it right now.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/877362626472271872
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/877974577347014656
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/878298740309671936

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yes, this "ship" is more iconic than the Millennium Falcon or the Death Star or a Star Destroyer.

I thought it was a gun or something at first, that's how well designed this oblong rectangle is.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I think Lethality is so far gone at this point that crobbler could sell him a literal picture of a dog turd, and he'd fawn over it like it was the greatest thing ever.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

lol, I think MoMA/Toast was probably involved.

Iron.Clad.Loan.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I love it when screencaps I make get copied around and end up in articles. It's happened twice now due to Chris Roberts.

Thanks, crobbler.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/878417327531974656
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/878419429712953344
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/878421598184853504
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/878675935943426048

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's me, the grown man incredibly angry that Derek Smart doesn't like his video game.

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016
Wow, that photoshop really took of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004