Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The way he's handled in the drg level 70 quests makes me think Estinien is mostly written out of the story at this point. He might show up now and again, but only as a cameo, not a major character. His appearance in the MSQ could go either way though, taken by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

ImpAtom posted:

Stinger spoilers: A couple of friends of mine have theorized that It's Gaius behind inhabited behind the mask, which would explain why he's so shocked by it and it would be someone the audience would recognize.

We never did see a body...

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Mordiceius posted:

Hien is like Varian Wrynn

Dead?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hien was a really good protagonist and Lyse a really bland one, but overall the SB MSQ was good.

The only thing that they hosed up on was near the end, where Hien magically appears to blow up the Garlean helicopters despite being half the world away. I get it, it's a new character and Square wanted them to do cool things, but it would have made much more sense and been infinitely more rewarding if it had been Vidofnir and others from Hraesvelgr's brood swooping in to help, after the lengths we went to to stop the Dragonsong war.

What a wasted opportunity. :(

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hien was a really good protagonist and Lyse a really bland one, but overall the SB MSQ was good.

The only thing that they hosed up on was near the end, where Hien magically appears to blow up the Garlean helicopters despite being half the world away. I get it, it's a new character and Square wanted them to do cool things, but it would have made much more sense and been infinitely more rewarding if it had been Vidofnir and others from Hraesvelgr's brood swooping in to help, after the lengths we went to to stop the Dragonsong war.

What a wasted opportunity. :(

I mean, we jumped through a lot of hoops just to liberate Doma, so it's more of an instant gratification thing, rather than the long run with the dragons. Also, I would've missed the Domans if they didn't show up to help liberate Ala Mhigo, so either way we miss out on some.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Doing Lakshimi and Susano EX with randos while waiting for the rest of my static to hit 70 is really reminding me how grossly incompetent the vast majority of players are. Neither of these fights are challenging at all!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Red Mage has a big issue. Verholy looks way cooler than Verflare, it makes me not want to use Verflare.

e:
gonna message yoship and tell him to give RDM the deathflare animation and make the other casters utterly pointless

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 25, 2017

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

At least the little animation you do after a verflare looks cool as heck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Doing Lakshimi and Susano EX with randos while waiting for the rest of my static to hit 70 is really reminding me how grossly incompetent the vast majority of players are. Neither of these fights are challenging at all!

I rolled in to susanX with 7 other goons yesterday. Four of us were completely blind. We cleared on the first pull.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
How many of the boss fates are there in the SB areas? Is it one per zone?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I rolled in to susanX with 7 other goons yesterday. Four of us were completely blind. We cleared on the first pull.

What was the average gear level out of curiosity? Were most people just rockin their AF3 and whatever right side they could scrounge up?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Trying to do Lakshmi's OT mechanics when the MT is maintaining only a razor-thin threat lead is a bitch and a half. Luckily whichever DPS ends up getting the #2 spot instead can do the OT mechanics just as easily (hell, you can solo tank the fight, and if your MT's doing bare-minimum threat for more damage then you probably should), but it's still frustrating.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Leveling question: is there some trick to avoiding mobs with Bad Breath? Even when I'm clearly outside the telegraph, it never fails to hit me. And if it hits me, I seem to be screwed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SonicRulez posted:

How many of the boss fates are there in the SB areas? Is it one per zone?

What was the average gear level out of curiosity? Were most people just rockin their AF3 and whatever right side they could scrounge up?

Everyone was in the i290-i300 range if I had my guess because we were constantly joking about learning parties that we saw in PF with i310 requirements.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Which five skills should I pick for samurai?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shy posted:

Which five skills should I pick for samurai?

You don't pick just five and set them forever. Your role skills can be changed at any time outside of combat without penalty so you should be using whatever is appropriate for what you're doing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Susano has a ton of people screw up the cloud thing which is annoying as all hell. Also people who attack the wrong rock despite it being marked and me saying which rock I'm in in chat.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Cythereal posted:

Leveling question: is there some trick to avoiding mobs with Bad Breath? Even when I'm clearly outside the telegraph, it never fails to hit me. And if it hits me, I seem to be screwed.

You can usually stun them, so you can try that. Melee DPS and tanks get a stun via a role action. Otherwise, try to be prepared to move a second or two earlier. In my experience, malboros usually use bad breath after a couple of GCDs.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Cythereal posted:

Depending on your connection, you may be being lied to about being outside the aoe. If you're dealing with them solo, it's best to run through your enemy to his backside, so you're out of the aoe as soon as possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leofish posted:

You can usually stun them, so you can try that melee DPS and tanks get a stun via a role action. Otherwise, try to be prepared to move a second or two earlier. In my experience, malboros usually use bad breath after a couple of GCDs.

I'm playing a conjurer, I don't have a stun. I'll try preemptively moving. Died four times so far to this stupid thing. >_>

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm playing a conjurer, I don't have a stun. I'll try preemptively moving. Died four times so far to this stupid thing. >_>

Fluid Aura can usually knock them away and interrupt the cast, so you have that option too. Running through, like motoh said, also works. Do you have your chocobo companion? You can get the bird to eat the bad breath if you let it get some threat over you. Makes the battle a bit slower, but you should probably only need to deal with one bad breath before you can kill the thing.

(I guess if you say Conjurer you probably don't have a chocobo on second thought, seeing as that's a level 30 thing.)

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I'm glad SB deftly avoided the mistake of 2.55 and made the final fight fun, while also avoiding the mistake of 3.0 and making the final fight hard. It's good as hell and feels like a real achievement to beat it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Another thing if you're kinda new to dodging in this game as a caster, is that while there are some occasions of "finish casting, then move", more often if it's an AoE you really don't want to be caught in, it's "as soon as you see that orange area appear drop everything and book it for the nearest safe spot, mid-cast be damned".

It's good to get some experience of which is which - okay, if I stand in this one I just have to heal myself a bit more so I can blithely cast through it, and if I stand in that one I'm screwed so I've gotta drop everything and run.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
You'll end up learning by experience how your ping affects your casting and doging. I play with ~200, sometimes casts get cancelled if I start them right after I stop moving, but also I can start moving in the last part of a cast without cancelling it. Dodging is sometimes just a crapshoot.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

You don't pick just five and set them forever. Your role skills can be changed at any time outside of combat without penalty so you should be using whatever is appropriate for what you're doing.

Thanks, I'll pick the ones with the prettiest icons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vil posted:

Another thing if you're kinda new to dodging in this game as a caster, is that while there are some occasions of "finish casting, then move", more often if it's an AoE you really don't want to be caught in, it's "as soon as you see that orange area appear drop everything and book it for the nearest safe spot, mid-cast be damned".

It's good to get some experience of which is which - okay, if I stand in this one I just have to heal myself a bit more so I can blithely cast through it, and if I stand in that one I'm screwed so I've gotta drop everything and run.

Yep, I'm no stranger to that. The moment I see bad breath winding up I move. But either my connection is bad or that thing hits a wider area than it's telling me - I barely have enough time to seemingly get out of it.

For now, just leaving it till later.

Leofish posted:

Fluid Aura can usually knock them away and interrupt the cast, so you have that option too. Running through, like motoh said, also works. Do you have your chocobo companion? You can get the bird to eat the bad breath if you let it get some threat over you. Makes the battle a bit slower, but you should probably only need to deal with one bad breath before you can kill the thing.

(I guess if you say Conjurer you probably don't have a chocobo on second thought, seeing as that's a level 30 thing.)

Level 20, actually. I've been using it as a mount. Don't know anything about using it for combat.

Still, I've hit level 30 in the free trial and picked up white mage, so I'm calling it a wrap on the trial. Thank you for all the advice, everyone. I'll probably buy the game in earnest before long.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Make sure you're outside the telegraph before the cast bar for bad breath disappears, as that's when the game determines whether or not you should be hit.

Easiest way to dodge it is to just run through the morbol, incidentally.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Level 20, actually. I've been using it as a mount. Don't know anything about using it for combat.

Level 30 quest called 'my feisty little chocobo' in camp tranquil (south shroud)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Make sure you're outside the telegraph before the cast bar for bad breath disappears, as that's when the game determines whether or not you should be hit.

Easiest way to dodge it is to just run through the morbol, incidentally.

I know. But I can't dodge through it because then I'll aggro another one, and I start moving the instant the telegraph appears. But even though I can barely make it out, I inevitably still get hit with it. I decided to just drop the quest and come back to it later.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Everyone was in the i290-i300 range if I had my guess because we were constantly joking about learning parties that we saw in PF with i310 requirements.

Hmm I want to get some practice on the extreme primals lesse 5 wins of laki will let me replace my 290 ring

Laki learning party: Minimum 310

Uh, ok well maybe I can gun for a susano weapon

Susano learning party: Minimum 310

:shepface:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I know. But I can't dodge through it because then I'll aggro another one, and I start moving the instant the telegraph appears. But even though I can barely make it out, I inevitably still get hit with it. I decided to just drop the quest and come back to it later.

Oh, that explains things. It's a lot harder to get out of bad breath in time if you run away from the Malboro instead of through one.

So instead, solve the problem of aggroing another one by running through it: bring the Malboro somewhere dodging-safe at the start of the fight. It'll leash if you try to bring it a super long way but the game's very generous in letting you position mobs. You're not obligated to fight things right exactly where they spawn.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Also, as soon as you get out of the Orange try jumping. When you're just running in one direction the game will use predictive no enemy and update the game server less. Jumping or shagging a little will force the client to update sooner.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Yep, I'm no stranger to that. The moment I see bad breath winding up I move. But either my connection is bad or that thing hits a wider area than it's telling me - I barely have enough time to seemingly get out of it.

For now, just leaving it till later.

The thing with morbols as a ranged character is that their melee range is long enough that they'll stop in the perfect position to put you right in the middle of Bad Breath with no great options for getting out. You want to move towards them as they run up so you end up close to them and can easily dodge to the side or behind them.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Still, I've hit level 30 in the free trial and picked up white mage, so I'm calling it a wrap on the trial. Thank you for all the advice, everyone. I'll probably buy the game in earnest before long.

Oh yeah, I meant the quest that unlocks the combat ability, which is a sidequest at level 30. You'll get your bird to serve as an rudimentary, AI-controlled battle pet. You can't command it or anything, but you can level it up and give it healer, tank, or DPS skills. Tanking 'bo isn't very good, because it doesn't really generate a lot of enmity and never enough to keep up with a well-played player class, but it can still help out in some of the tougher fights. Having it heal you is useful for solo stuff.

Shy posted:

Level 30 quest called 'my feisty little chocobo' in camp tranquil (south shroud)

Yeah, this is it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ah well. Thanks for the advice, folks.

One other question: as a conjurer, I got a quest at level 30 that ended up awarding a unicorn mount. Does every class get a unicorn, or is it a class-specific thing?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
the horrifying nightmare unicorn is a whm/cnj-specific thing

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Zandar posted:

The thing with morbols as a ranged character is that their melee range is long enough that they'll stop in the perfect position to put you right in the middle of Bad Breath with no great options for getting out. You want to move towards them as they run up so you end up close to them and can easily dodge to the side or behind them.

No idea about casters, but physical ranged DPS also have a stun as a role action now. And a silence.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Ah well. Thanks for the advice, folks.

One other question: as a conjurer, I got a quest at level 30 that ended up awarding a unicorn mount. Does every class get a unicorn, or is it a class-specific thing?

Tanks get mounts as achievement rewards for doing a buttload of roulettes and/or endgame full party duties.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

At best I think whm has fluid aura. Actively annoying for most party content, but it can help if dodging isn't working out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What materia are people melding for scholar now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Leal posted:

Hmm I want to get some practice on the extreme primals lesse 5 wins of laki will let me replace my 290 ring

Laki learning party: Minimum 310

Uh, ok well maybe I can gun for a susano weapon

Susano learning party: Minimum 310

:shepface:

Yeah it's like a stupid joke.