Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

EugeneJ posted:

Had an argument with someone yesterday about the healthcare plan - they only watch Fox News and use Drudge for information.

"Do you agree that the disabled should always have healthcare?"

"Yes"

"Do you agree that the disabled have a right to protest?"

"Yes"

"Do you think it's right for disabled protesters to be dragged from their wheelchairs?"

"No"

::shows the video of disabled protesters being dragged from their wheelchairs::

"Well that's private property and they should have behaved"

:suicide:

It's not private property it's a government.building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not private property it's a government.building?

Well, the rule of law applies to disabled people too. If they don't like the law they should write a nice polite letter or leave a phone message.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

EugeneJ posted:

Had an argument with someone yesterday about the healthcare plan - they only watch Fox News and use Drudge for information.

"Yes"

"Yes"

"Do you think it's right for disabled protesters to be dragged from their wheelchairs?"

"No"
They are lying. They don't believe those things.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not often I agree with Joe Scarborough of all people, but:

https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/878954338437169152

It's amazing, the extent to which Trump is obsessed with Obama.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

DaveWoo posted:

If Obama hadn't made fun of Trump would Trump have run?

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Milosh posted:

If Obama hadn't made fun of Trump would Trump have run?

The Obama-Seth Meyers conspiracy we were all hoping wasn't true!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm actually beginning to wonder if there's really something to the hacking and the database breaches that genuinely does influence the vote tabulations. If one were to manipulate votes, they'd do it in a way that wouldn't seem TOO obvious, like the Idiocracy plan where they steal percentages of pennies. They'd peel off a small percentage of votes and influence relatively close precincts and blocs, not change areas where's there's a 10% point swing. Consistently winning districts where the polls turned out to be off by 4-6%, in along with being a tad suspicious, also has the added effect of discrediting the media, whom we know the GOP hates.

All of this smoke (and some fire) in conjunction with Trump winning EVERY close State in 2016 by incredibly small margins and his increasingly weird behavior surrounding the investigations has me thinking there might actually be something to this (affecting election outcomes). I'm starting to think it already happened.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I'm trying to search for news articles that tout the benefits of the AHCA and how it would be superior to Obamacare and I'm not having any luck whatever combo of terms I string together unless I specifically suggest Breitbart or whatever and even still I'm not getting thumbs AHCA articles. I'm searching through Google news, tho. Maybe they've upped their filters. Is there a searchable news aggregator of conservative and independent conservative news media only?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rip Testes posted:

I'm trying to search for news articles that tout the benefits of the AHCA and how it would be superior to Obamacare and I'm not having any luck whatever combo of terms I string together unless I specifically suggest Breitbart or whatever and even still I'm not getting thumbs AHCA articles. I'm searching through Google news, tho. Maybe they've upped their filters. Is there a searchable news aggregator of conservative and independent conservative news media only?

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Rip Testes posted:

Maybe try google news in a private window? If you're logged in I could imagine it aggregating in a certain way. Just open up a window and click on a bunch of Fox News links and other conservative sites, then try searching.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rip Testes posted:

Nobody is even attempting to argue that the new health care act is a good bill, from what I've seen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nobody is even attempting to argue that the new health care act is a good bill, from what I've seen.

And yet it's still going to pass. :suicide:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DaveWoo posted:

if obama gave a poo poo he could be playing the xylophone with trump's insecurities

nope, off to whore island

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Trump's grudges are legendary. He gets offended at the slightest perceived insult and does his best to gently caress the other person in revenge, sometimes years later.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

zeal posted:

if obama gave a poo poo he could be playing the xylophone with trump's insecurities

*white people elect shitawful president*

"OBAMA!!!! :argh:"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

zeal posted:

I'm not empty quoting, I'm just thinking about whore island.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

We don't know that. Yes it's dangerously close, but when the CBO score drops next week and even more people call and voice their outrage, more senators could flip. All we need is three. There's still time. This poo poo's failed before.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

EugeneJ posted:

"Yes"

"Yes"

"No"

Had this argument with my parents, then they really got angry when I said I would have been okay if one of the protesters actually shot and killed Mitch. Which admittedly is pretty hyperbolic and my parents were more angry that I had "been raised better" to think that way. Though I thought my dad was raised better in his labor union to not thinking its okay for cops to abuse prisoners, should have said "Oh and would you be saying that if it was Homestead Strikers getting the poo poo kicked out of them by pinkertons?"

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah... why?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

achillesforever6 posted:

Had this argument with my parents, then they really got angry when I said I would have been okay if one of the protesters actually shot and killed Mitch. Which admittedly is pretty hyperbolic and my parents were more angry that I had "been raised better" to think that way. Though I thought my dad was raised better in his labor union to not thinking its okay for cops to abuse prisoners, should have said "Oh and would you be saying that if it was Homestead Strikers getting the poo poo kicked out of them by pinkertons?"

Why is it hyperbolic? Mitch should be the first person guillotined when the revolution comes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

EugeneJ posted:

"Yes"

"Yes"

"No"

Basically what republicans in DC want to do is so craven, demented and evil that when told about it, their voters literally won't believe it's true because it's too craven, demented and evil to be true.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

I wonder if Trump could be convinced to veto? He's said it's "mean", maybe if there was enough noise about how the veto is one of the most powerful tools a president has to shape legislation and Trump hasn't been using that power to the fullest extent. Then make it about Obama using his power to veto, and how Trump needs a show of force.

Probably not though, Trump bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Question: assuming someone were to go all out with nukes, would there be enough nukes to set off the Yellowstone Caldera if it was targeted? If he hit it with a bunch of nukes, would it even bother it at all, or is the "zit" covering the magma buildup still too thick for piddly human nuclear weaponry to penetrate it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rip Testes posted:

Yeah... why?

Depends on how cynical you are.

The most positive spin possible is that the Republicans believe they have to do something to "repeal Obamacare" due to campaign promises and voter expectations, but Obamacare was objectively good, so there's no way to repeal it without killing a lot of people in the process (or at least no Republican way: they could replace it with Medicare/Medicaid for All, but they won't).

That doesn't really hold though because the actual bill disassembles Medicaid, which is way beyond just "repealing Obamacare." The answer as to why they did that gets into whether you believe that they're operating out of Ayn Randian selfish cruelty. just think tax cuts are the be-all, end-all purpose of government, or want to actively disassemble any part of government that helps people because a government that helps people is politically beneficial to Democrats.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rip Testes posted:

Yeah... why?

It's going to happen because they have to have something to take back to their base or they won't vote in 2018.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Invictus posted:

Question: assuming someone were to go all out with nukes, would there be enough nukes to set off the Yellowstone Caldera if it was targeted? If he hit it with a bunch of nukes, would it even bother it at all, or is the "zit" covering the magma buildup still too thick for piddly human nuclear weaponry to penetrate it?

Maybe if they were all fired directly at Yellowstone but it's a wilderness area hundreds of miles from any strategic targets.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Edit: Wrong thread

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Spacebump posted:

We've been at war in various places since 2001. There are Americans who don't remember a time when their country wasn't at war.

The odds of dying in any of these "wars" is approximately zero for an American. You're more likely to die in a car accident. The hysterical fits over the idea that North Korea or Iran or China will launch a first strike on the Continental USA are ridiculous.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Potential BFF posted:

A war with Iran would be such a profound clusterfuck that a sick little piece of my mind is intrigued at the prospect. The first antiship missile slamming into an oil tanker and the subsequent $10/gal gas would be a hell of a thing to behold.

Just to be clear: HOLY gently caress DON'T GO TO WAR WITH IRAN

Even if they defeated the Iranian military and the Revolutionary Guard, the Mahdi Army would just cross the border and then we get to fight the middle part of Operation Iraqi Freedom again.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Captain Invictus posted:

A Russian analyst suggested this a couple years ago, but it's unlikely to work. Neither the US nor Russia have bunker busters that would dig deep enough.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rip Testes posted:

Yeah... why?

Because we're in the darkest timeline maybe not the darkest timeline but we're pretty far into the "bad poo poo" spectrum.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

La Brea Carpet posted:

Edit: Wrong thread

oh my god no please leave it it's beautiful

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Anyone remember Christopher Wray?

Probably not.

Way back on June 7th, Trump announced him to lead the FBI. But there was only an announcement, and there has been no movement since then to nominate him, let alone start hearings.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/why-hasnt-trump-actually-nominated-an-fbi-director

In a normal time, this would be a big story. As it is...this has kind of been forgotten.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Kaal posted:

This is definitely not true, there was a wide understanding that the Great War hadn't fundamentally changed anything, and that a second war was very possible, particularly after Hitler was elected. Part of appreciating risk is recognizing the various degree of threats. Realistically the possibility of a worldwide war is very low, in particular because the US has the only significant naval fleet. The world wars were predated by military buildup on all sides.

You don't get it maaaaan, how millennials are all doooooomed.

Seriously growing up in the 1970s the odds of dying in a full-on nuclear strategic exchange we're ALWAYS present. You lived knowing there were enough missiles aimed at your city to wipe it off the map multiple times.

Millennial angst over this is stupid, they think the world didn't exist before they got woke or something. It's like the US habit of chest beating about how many casualties they took at some tiny island fight like Bloody Tarawa, to which any European combatant just rolls their eyes.

Millennials: other people had it worse and whined less about it you annoying babies.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rust Martialis posted:

You don't get it maaaaan, how millennials are all doooooomed.

Seriously growing up in the 1970s the odds of dying in a full-on nuclear strategic exchange we're ALWAYS present. You lived knowing there were enough missiles aimed at your city to wipe it off the map multiple times.

Millennial angst over this is stupid, they think the world didn't exist before they got woke or something. It's like the US habit of chest beating about how many casualties they took at some tiny island fight like Bloody Tarawa, to which any European combatant just rolls their eyes.

Millennials: other people had it worse and whined less about it you annoying babies.

do you work for applebees or something

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

glowing-fish posted:

Anyone remember Christopher Wray?

Probably not.

Way back on June 7th, Trump announced him to lead the FBI. But there was only an announcement, and there has been no movement since then to nominate him, let alone start hearings.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/why-hasnt-trump-actually-nominated-an-fbi-director

In a normal time, this would be a big story. As it is...this has kind of been forgotten.

Trump might have figured out that it wouldn't stop the investigations anyway, so why bother doing it. Or he just literally forgot because he's barely holding on to any semblance of coherency.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Depends on how cynical you are.

The most positive spin possible is that the Republicans believe they have to do something to "repeal Obamacare" due to campaign promises and voter expectations, but Obamacare was objectively good, so there's no way to repeal it without killing a lot of people in the process (or at least no Republican way: they could replace it with Medicare/Medicaid for All, but they won't).

That doesn't really hold though because the actual bill disassembles Medicaid, which is way beyond just "repealing Obamacare." The answer as to why they did that gets into whether you believe that they're operating out of Ayn Randian selfish cruelty. just think tax cuts are the be-all, end-all purpose of government, or want to actively disassemble any part of government that helps people because a government that helps people is politically beneficial to Democrats.

I thought about whether or not they're doing it because it would hurt democrats, but even then it would screw the republicans more. If they tried having it go into effect the day after the election, that would just mean the insurance companies announcing all the changes and plan cancellations in the months or weeks leading up to the election. if they tried later it would just give the democrats a chance to undo it, and they'd have tied themselves to an immensly unpopular bill for nothing.

I'm beginning to suspect they're all just idiots.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

skylined! posted:

do you work for applebees or something

Ew. I avoid those when in the USA.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tengames posted:

I thought about whether or not they're doing it because it would hurt democrats, but even then it would screw the republicans more. If they tried having it go into effect the day after the election, that would just mean the insurance companies announcing all the changes and plan cancellations in the months or weeks leading up to the election. if they tried later it would just give the democrats a chance to undo it, and they'd have tied themselves to an immensly unpopular bill for nothing.

I'm beginning to suspect they're all just idiots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

That said, in this case I think malice and stupidity are joint culprits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

empty whippet box posted:

Why is it hyperbolic? Mitch should be the first person guillotined when the revolution comes.
Yeah but its just not a good way to argue with my folks. Though my mom did reveal a big blindspot on me when she said, "For someone who hates the rich you sure do like going down to our family friend's million dollar house in Virgina near the bay". I know too many rich family friends and the worst part is it wouldn't be easy to cut ties off with most of them. :negative:

Now my uncle from Omaha he's easy since I don't see him often and apparently he's :freep: as gently caress on facebook and I wasn't surprised one bit since he's a high end dentist.

• Locked thread