Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

Must-Plays: Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy III/VI, Final Fantasy II/IV, Terranigma, Secret of Mana

Pretty Good: Illusion of Gaia, Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, Soul Blazer

Underrated: Dragon View

Entertaining Enough: Secret of Evermore, Ogre Battle

Largely Average But Impressive At First: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom

Not Great But Intriguingly Weird: Paladin's Quest, Robotrek

Mediocre: Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire 2, Brain Lord, Inindo, Drakkhen, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Tecmo's Secret of the Stars, The 7th Saga, Arcana, Brandish

Maybe Not Even RPGs But Still Fun: Harvest Moon, The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang

Notable Fan-Translated SFC Games Not Available in English Elsewhere: Seiken Densetsu 3, Live A Live, Emerald Dragon, Star Ocean, Treasure Hunter G, Romancing Saga 3, Treasure of the Rudras

Add Tactics Ogre to fan translated and Breath of Fire 2 is better than mediocre but I can't recommend the first game at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zand posted:

look at dragonball fighterz on YouTube

Yes I know that game exists and holy poo poo it's the DBZ game I never knew I needed. :swoon:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fishmech posted:

I get you're a bit dim, but the only way this disagrees with me is if you think that fighting game looks better.

:rolleyes: You said "not by much", rear end in a top hat. Think for five seconds before you post.

Its very much.

fishmech posted:

I get you're a bit dim

:smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

:rolleyes: You said "not by much", rear end in a top hat. Think for five seconds before you post.

Its very much.

No it isn't. Sorry you're mad about quite frankly last-ditch efforts to keep the SNES viable when the N64 project turned out to take longer than they were planning for?

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

The Machine posted:

Someone convince me to not buy a Neo Geo X off ebay...

I've really only heard bad things about the Neo Geo X. However, if what you found on ebay is cheap and in good condition then go for it. And by cheap I mean really cheap.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've been posting in this forum for ten years or so and I'm only now understanding what it means to "get fishmeched."

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Any chance you two could take your slapfight to PM's or something?

They are just video games, guys.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I dont know if has been posted before but I found the most amazing retro game store in south west Florida right on Ft Myers beach. Literally had walls full of stacked loose nes and snes game and at a price well below what I thought a B&M store would price them at.They had any game and console I could think of, In box for the consoles or loose if you wanted. Owner was a kid in his twenties and was chill, would def recommend if you guys are ever that way.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The HD Retrovision component cables for SNES/Genesis are back in stock. I know it's been said in this thread before that you might as well put the money towards Framemaster / RGB modding but the option is there.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

dishwasherlove posted:

The HD Retrovision component cables for SNES/Genesis are back in stock. I know it's been said in this thread before that you might as well put the money towards Framemaster / RGB modding but the option is there.

Put my order in for an SNES cable. Besides my HDTV(s) I've got a 4:3 LCD TV that should work great with it, although I've plugged my SNES into it with composite and get a very distracting jittering when doing so. We'll see how it goes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Is Crystalis that short? I picked it up recently and played it for a few hours before I got bored of the grind and put it down again.

univbee posted:

If you know what you're doing it's definitely doable in one sitting. Totally random guess like 5-6 hours of casual play? There are a few elements which are annoying if you're going in blind, though, like if you're underleveled at a boss (which is likely) you straight-up can't do damage to them and have to die, and I think some more obtuse "puzzle" elements.

Less than that, even. 4-5 more like, and record speedruns are under an hour. The grind gets less painful as you get deeper into the game and there are a few enemies you'll encounter at various points that are basically built for grinding and provide way more XP for the effort than everything around them---the zombies and blue jelly things in Mt. Sabre, the gorgons near Portoa, the poisonous flower-turtle-whatsits in the one ocean cave, etc. Grinding out the last two levels (the game caps at level 16) takes less time than grinding out basically any one previous level if you just keep clearing the scorpions out of the cave just beyond the last town for like five or ten minutes.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I did it. I got a xrgb mini. Now my games don't look like poo poo on my tv.
Its totally worth my cash money to remove any temptation to have a bad old tv.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

vkeios posted:

Still gotta have a way to play Metal Combat, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

vkeios posted:

Discount Viscount posted:

Still gotta have a way to play Metal Combat, though.

Also underrated Super Scope 6, and the okay Yoshi Safari.

And classic Duck hunt!

I super regret tossing my last CRT during my last move :(

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Yeah, none of that would make me regret not having a crt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

vkeios posted:

Yeah, none of that would make me regret not having a crt.

That smug chuckling bastard of a dog cannot be allowed to win :colbert:.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Only Shallow posted:

Has anyone else ordered a deluxe edition flash cart from Stone Age Gamer? I picked up a Mega Everdrive and wanted the case and manual to fit in on the shelf next to our boxed retail games, and they sent me just the flash cart. Did the extra stuff come as a second shipment, or did they just gently caress up? At least the flash cart itself is cool :sigh:

I'll pm you too, but I was at a con today where StoneAgeGamer had a booth. I mentioned your post and they said to contact them and they'll make it right.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was never a Sega kid so I was always extremely jealous that the games came in actual cases.

Storing your Nintendo games in their boxes was a little impractical. I don't know anyone that ever kept them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mak0rz posted:

Storing your Nintendo games in their boxes was a little impractical. I don't know anyone that ever kept them.
It was slight easier to get your NES games to stay in the boxes. SNES for whatever reason just let itself to have the cardboard collapse in on itself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I was never a Sega kid so I was always extremely jealous that the games came in actual cases.

Yeah Genesis cases are amazing, and are basically what the entire industry moved to eventually (dvd cases). Its crazy that Nintendo did flimsy cardboard for years, and Sony did those lovely cd jewel cases (although at least that kinda made sense).

CIB Nintendo games are much harder to find as a result, Playstation games aren't hard to find in the case but its often cracked, and Genesis games almost always come complete in box with manual because it was so much easier to keep them.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

hell, i've ordered cheap Genesis games from Gamestop's online store expecting a cartridge in bad shape, only to get a CIB game instead. never anything where that really matters value-wise, but it's still cool to have stuff like NBA Jam TE with the case and manual and everything

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm starting to learn that the Blinking Light Win mod for the NES, while dramatically increasing the success rate of getting games to play, is still liable to both humidity/heat and the generally thick PCBs of NES games and need to get bent back inwards with pliers or something.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mak0rz posted:

I beat the bug boss in the poison forest and then went to some snowy mountain and that's about as far as I got. The game was a bit fun, but I think the lack of direction and constantly respawning mooks got to me after a while.

Anyway on the topic of old RPGs: does Morrowind count for the purposes of this thread? Because I'm currently playing that for the first time ever and am actually having a lot of fun.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, from what I'm told people love that game for the world-building and that takes effort to find and enjoy.

I played it on og xbox in like 05 or 06 (whenever Oblivion came out, that's what made me grab it) and personally it bored me to tears. If I was a little younger and got a chance to play it before college/adult life I probably would've devoured it though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bizhawk 2.0 has been released. It adds ports of Mednafen's Neo Geo Pocket and Virtual Boy cores, and replaces the old Yabuse-based Saturn core with Mednafen's. I'm always looking for excuses to not use Retroarch, so this is great!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Kins posted:

Bizhawk 2.0 has been released. It adds ports of Mednafen's Neo Geo Pocket and Virtual Boy cores, and replaces the old Yabuse-based Saturn core with Mednafen's. I'm always looking for excuses to not use Retroarch, so this is great!

I would kill for an X68000 emulator that could do re-recording.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Genesis cases are amazing, and are basically what the entire industry moved to eventually (dvd cases). Its crazy that Nintendo did flimsy cardboard for years, and Sony did those lovely cd jewel cases (although at least that kinda made sense).

CIB Nintendo games are much harder to find as a result, Playstation games aren't hard to find in the case but its often cracked, and Genesis games almost always come complete in box with manual because it was so much easier to keep them.

On the upside its easy as hell to case swap PS1 games because of the abundance of jewel cases, I wind up doing it a lot. Makes the games look nice and you can't really tell the change since those cases are pretty standardized.

Speaking of Playstation I guess I can be counted in the "loves Mr. Domino" camp, I just got it and quite enjoy the challenge.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Zaphod42 posted:

genesis cases being so good makes saturn cases even worse by comparison

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Turbinosamente posted:

On the upside its easy as hell to case swap PS1 games because of the abundance of jewel cases, I wind up doing it a lot. Makes the games look nice and you can't really tell the change since those cases are pretty standardized.

Speaking of Playstation I guess I can be counted in the "loves Mr. Domino" camp, I just got it and quite enjoy the challenge.

They might be referring to the earlier ps1 cases that are literally impossible to replace. The thing that holds the disc in place on my copy of Discworld broke and I was completely screwed. There's no way to replace that case at all.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

They might be referring to the earlier ps1 cases that are literally impossible to replace. The thing that holds the disc in place on my copy of Discworld broke and I was completely screwed. There's no way to replace that case at all.

Is it long box? Because yeah long boxes would be impossible to replace. (My googling is failing to turn up anything other than jewel cases and long box for Discworld.)

edit: Or is it a PAL copy? Those cases look like they're slightly different.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 25, 2017

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

If this isn't the appropriate thread then please let me know and point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to remember the name of a tabletop electronic game I had in the early / mid-80's. The form factor was similar to Tandy tabletop games of the era but I wasn't able to find it in any of the lists I looked at.

You controlled a little guy in a spacesuit as he spacewalked around. you had to avoid enemies, grab a person, and return him/her to your ship. I think in some levels you used the ship and tried to catch them with a grappling claw or something. It was not Defender.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Curious if anyone has RGB modded their consumer TV yet?

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155

I've been somewhat casually looking for a 25" arcade monitor for the last year or so locally (craigslist) with no luck. Seems like perhaps grabbing the right consumer TV, doing this mod and then somehow mounting the tube may work.. maybe?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

titties posted:

If this isn't the appropriate thread then please let me know and point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to remember the name of a tabletop electronic game I had in the early / mid-80's. The form factor was similar to Tandy tabletop games of the era but I wasn't able to find it in any of the lists I looked at.

You controlled a little guy in a spacesuit as he spacewalked around. you had to avoid enemies, grab a person, and return him/her to your ship. I think in some levels you used the ship and tried to catch them with a grappling claw or something. It was not Defender.

The perfect thread would be: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708 or if its tabletop, maybe even the pinball thread?

Defender is all I can think of.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

al-azad posted:

Add Tactics Ogre to fan translated and Breath of Fire 2 is better than mediocre but I can't recommend the first game at all.

To be fair, Atlus localized the PlayStation version of Tactics Ogre, though the SFC one is free of load times and (probably) Star Wars references. I like the PSP remake best, but it changes a lot.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I picked up an N64 and an SNES from my in-laws house today (as they had no use for them and they weren't even hooked up) the scuff pads had partially melted/dissolved and left a sticky black goo like residue that got on my hand and was kind of a pita to clean off my hand (solution was to cover it up with black electrical tape). They weren't stored in a hog area or anything. Just wondering if this had ever happened to anyway else. Never had it happen or even heard about it when I was younger.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

I never saw an actual NES box until I was like 9, because everyone I knew with an NES had gotten them either long ago or as a hand me down, and the boxes long lost. And even when I went to Funcoland or Gamestop, the only NES games on the shelves were bare carts.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I picked up an N64 and an SNES from my in-laws house today (as they had no use for them and they weren't even hooked up) the scuff pads had partially melted/dissolved and left a sticky black goo like residue that got on my hand and was kind of a pita to clean off my hand (solution was to cover it up with black electrical tape). They weren't stored in a hog area or anything. Just wondering if this had ever happened to anyway else. Never had it happen or even heard about it when I was younger.

I haven't experienced it with those consoles, but that's definitely a thing with old rubber. I've seen scuff pads on old stereo equipment turn to goo, and of course rubber belts in stereo equipment.

The analog sticks on dualshock 2's will also start to "sweat" goop if they are left for a while.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

fishmech posted:

I never saw an actual NES box until I was like 9, because everyone I knew with an NES had gotten them either long ago or as a hand me down, and the boxes long lost. And even when I went to Funcoland or Gamestop, the only NES games on the shelves were bare carts.

Yeah, all the game storage for NES games encouraged you to dump the box and just keep the sleeve. Same with SNES games. Genesis had cases that kept.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Reminds me of the horrible sludge that my Twin Fami's drive belt turned into, which dripped onto and ruined the loving carpet in the room I was working on it in :arghfist:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wa27 posted:

I haven't experienced it with those consoles, but that's definitely a thing with old rubber. I've seen scuff pads on old stereo equipment turn to goo, and of course rubber belts in stereo equipment.

The analog sticks on dualshock 2's will also start to "sweat" goop if they are left for a while.

This happened to my DS2 when I recently pulled them out of storage. It's grody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Seeing all these RGB mods & enhancements kind of makes me salty for the North American TV market. RGB via SCART was the HDMI of its day while most of us were slumming it on RF, Composite, and S-Video. Component wasn't terribly common and by the time it was gaining a bit of traction HDMI was starting to creep into the market.

That said, I currently have an SNES, Saturn, and N64 currently hooked up via SCART cables to a switcher, that feeds a lovely generic chinese SCART>HDMI upscaler, and it fuckin owns. Saturns have especially fantastic RGB output.

• Locked thread