Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KyloWinter posted:

Is this game still bad?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Come on firaxis, put the dlc on sale.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ice Fist posted:

It's awesome if you just want to chill and plop cities on a map and occasionally stomp the poo poo out of an AI that barely understands the game.

you would think that this would be the case, but i, king of chilling and plopping cities on a map and occasionally stomping the poo poo out of an ai that barely understands the game, don't really care for it. i honestly couldn't tell you specifically what it is that i don't like about it, i guess everything about it seems really hard to interpret visually and a lot of it feels like "bugs that we were too lazy to take out so we called them features."

Gort posted:

I haven't played in months.

i took out civ 4 and civ 5 a few weeks ago and gave those a spin and they were still fun

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Does the AI still get loving pissed at you for being a warmonger despite never initiating a war?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KyloWinter posted:

Does the AI still get loving pissed at you for being a warmonger despite never initiating a war?

the ai will always get loving pissed at you for capturing a city, so yes. but this is civ 5-style diplo ai so its basic state of being is "furious that you are playing the game" and idk i guess i don't care for an ai that insists on being so oppositional and disagreeable

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Ya. Sounds like nothing has changed. Oh well.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

KyloWinter posted:

Nobody should consider you a warmonger for prolonging a war you didn't start, right?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homullus posted:

Nobody should consider you a warmonger for prolonging a war you didn't start, right?

not when the reason you're prolonging the war is because the ai's peace offer is "give me all your cities" no

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Me and 4 friends are looking to get a fun LAN-game - We've played a bit of Civ5 last year (biggest complaint was that you couldn't use DLC if not everyone had it I think?) and are now looking at Civ6. Does it allow for 5 Players versus 5 Computers in a non-frustrating way?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lamquin posted:

Me and 4 friends are looking to get a fun LAN-game - We've played a bit of Civ5 last year (biggest complaint was that you couldn't use DLC if not everyone had it I think?) and are now looking at Civ6. Does it allow for 5 Players versus 5 Computers in a non-frustrating way?

iirc civ 6 doesn't support teams? unless this has changed.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

iirc civ 6 doesn't support teams? unless this has changed.

I think they've added it in a recent patch.

Yup, they did.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

drat weren't even-numbered civ games supposed to be good

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Civ games aren't good until the second expansion. I knew this and brought it anyway. Honestly though it's a lot better at launch than V was. So in ten years we'll be set! :toot:

No but seriously the AI is still bad, the diplomacy system is still awful, and the religion system is an afterthought.

Unpacked cities are super cool though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
From a technical point of view I quite like Civ 6. Multiplayer works, and the game doesn't have any weird multiplayer limitations like using a cut-down version of the AI for multiplayer, arbitrarily preventing you playing scenarios in multiplayer, that sort of thing.

I think if they ever get around to releasing a proper SDK for the game it'll explode.

Unpacked cities are OK, I really hate how district costs scale with the number of technologies you've researched, that's dumb as all hell.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Once you have electricity, nobody builds a district of their modern city without electricity. Maybe they should have made it more of a stair-step increase in prices; maybe they tried that, and ran into problems I can't think of.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

homullus posted:

Once you have electricity, nobody builds a district of their modern city without electricity. Maybe they should have made it more of a stair-step increase in prices; maybe they tried that, and ran into problems I can't think of.

Thinking of it this way is overly simplistic. Sure, building a skyscraper with your hands is more effort than building an adobe hut with your hands, but construction technology advances over time. Impossible projects become possible as construction tech advances. People want electricity in their houses, but you also have electrically-powered machinery to make building them less effort.

In Civ 6, learning the wheel, masonry, mathematics, and construction all make districts more expensive, which is utterly bonkers. They should've just made the more advanced districts more expensive to build, not made the discovery of professional sports make your theatres more expensive.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gort posted:

Thinking of it this way is overly simplistic. Sure, building a skyscraper with your hands is more effort than building an adobe hut with your hands, but construction technology advances over time. Impossible projects become possible as construction tech advances. People want electricity in their houses, but you also have electrically-powered machinery to make building them less effort.

In Civ 6, learning the wheel, masonry, mathematics, and construction all make districts more expensive, which is utterly bonkers. They should've just made the more advanced districts more expensive to build, not made the discovery of professional sports make your theatres more expensive.

It's an abstraction, obviously. But to use the electricity example again, yes, you have machinery to make that construction process easier, but by that time you have 27 levels of "people making the piece of the tool that helps you make the next piece of the next tool" leading up to that machinery. It is an entire factory that produces the bulldozer.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, a modern building is a lot more expensive a building was 300 years ago. At the same time, our industrial capacity and building tech advanced a lot, so much that is probably faster to build the modern building

The way it is in Civ 6, is almost as if we were building 21 century buildings with ancient technology

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

homullus posted:

It's an abstraction, obviously. But to use the electricity example again, yes, you have machinery to make that construction process easier, but by that time you have 27 levels of "people making the piece of the tool that helps you make the next piece of the next tool" leading up to that machinery. It is an entire factory that produces the bulldozer.

Nah. This is dumb logic. If the end point is supposed to be the modern world, than districts should be geared towards producing modern sprawling cities. At no point in history did technological advance make it harder or relatively more expensive ( in building or maintenance) to build cities. In absolute costs maybe, but not in resource costs relative to total economic production.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah, the progressive cost of districts is stupid and there's no good argument for it. Hopefully that gets fixed in one of the expansions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It also has bad effects on the game. Cities you build later on take forever to get off the ground due to the ridiculous costs of late-game districts.

Seriously, they inflate in cost by 1000% over the course of the game.

I've seen mods which fix it - either by making district costs static, or by scaling them by the number of districts of that type you already own, which I think is an elegant balance fix.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Civ 6 is a good game in a vacuum, but I dislike it because it makes the same mistakes as the previous entries.

It feels like the developers never bothered actually playing the game they are creating. Pedro pops up and offers friendship: where is Pedro on the map, who likes Pedro, who disliked Pedro, who is Pedro at war with? There is no place to get this information. One of the most popular mods in Civ 6 was infoaddict because it provided the player with an actual readable chart that displayed this information, but nothing like that exists in Civ 6.

How did nobody at Firaxis play this game and not bring up that there is zero information available to the player in a strategy game? We needed a team of fans to make the CQUI mod just to provide things as simple as tooltips.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think you're all wrong about the progressive costs of districts, but whatever. They could just say that building a district takes x turns in a standard game in any era and divorce it from production. It would be more years in the ancient era than in the modern, but the same number of turns.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Civ6 is too board gamey, and 1upt still sucks with all the same problems it had in CivV except they added religious combat for some reason to make it even worse.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Civ6 is too board gamey, and 1upt still sucks with all the same problems it had in CivV except they added religious combat for some reason to make it even worse.

Define "board gamey"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gort posted:

Define "board gamey"

Yeah I'd almost say it's not board gamey enough, because board games have (mostly) rigid, completely explained rules and don't try to obfuscate poo poo.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Maybe district cost and effectiveness should depend on the production or wealth generation of the city in which it is to be built.

Maybe district cost should be proportional to the builder's relative position to the mean or median advancement of all the players in the game.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 23, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How is there still no way to start a new game with the same settings as the current one. It's not that hard to save settings or at least implement ctrl-shift-n.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

LLSix posted:

How is there still no way to start a new game with the same settings as the current one. It's not that hard to save settings or at least implement ctrl-shift-n.

It's because they're working real hard on higher priority issues. Like ten dollar map pack DLCs or something

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

LLSix posted:

Becuase there is a mod to do it. Why spend dev time to put quality of life features in your game when some modder will do it for free? See also CQUI.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

drat weren't even-numbered civ games supposed to be good

It still works if you consider Beyond Earth the real Civ 6. :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Beyond Earth's poo poo though

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Gort posted:

Beyond Earth's poo poo though

It's pretty good.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mymla posted:

It's pretty good.

Nobody plays it 'cause it's poo poo. Civ 6 isn't even good and has fifteen times the playerbase

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Cythereal posted:

you thought BE was good at release so I think I know exactly how much weight to put on your opinion here

anyway that would make SMAC the real civ 3 and then everything goes out the window

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

anyway that would make SMAC the real civ 3 and then everything goes out the window

the odd-numbered smacs are good

alternatively, count pirates

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

new rule: every civ game is good in precise proportion to the quality of the corresponding edition of d&d

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

new rule: every civ game is good in precise proportion to the quality of the corresponding edition of d&d

But Civ 4 is actually good. :confused:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

But Civ 4 is actually good. :confused:

easily the best civ game so far, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Civ 5 is the best analogy for 4e though

A good game that draws/drew ire for trying to do something different from its predecessors

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 27, 2017