Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just want to chime in and say that I was reading this discussion and just realized that my M-audio Keystation 61e is 11 years old as of this past March and it's still going strong. It's not fancy, but it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MisterPlastic posted:

A Wurlitzer 200a in very good condition is available to me for more than half a months pay check, if i drive 6 hours one way to go get it. i could do this, or buy the latest DSI prophet rev 2 for about the same (expensive) price. I mostly am reading sheet music and jamming with the drumbrute. Which would be the most reasonable plan for fair deals?

That's not the worst price I've ever seen for a 200a (depending on condition) but I absolutely would not drive 6 hours for it. And, as the owner of a 200a, I would absolutely take a Prophet-6 or OB-6 over it. And this is after spending half a year refurbishing it myself.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

rickiep00h posted:

And this is after spending half a year refurbishing it myself.

this is why id prefer a rhodes
i cant imagine the hell of tuning with a soldering iron

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

but tbh you can play whatever song you want on whatever synthesizer you want :thumbsup:

Allow me to be more specific. I will be using all 10 fingers over the course of at least 5 octaves. A synth like the MatrixBrute allows using 3 fingers to press the keys at once, max. This wouldn't be able to play a full score. This one dsi prophet rev 2 seemed as if the only new analog keyboard with enough 'voices.' Am I right? People seem mostly split regarding DSI (dead sound instruments). I for one have an Ensoniq SQ-2 88 keys that I'm ready to part with.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anyone ITT use Push 2? If so, what do you think?

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

if you're in a sunday evening mood to just let a load of sequences wash over eachother and also you; & are happy with that stasis

https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/phexioenesystems-basic-body

[bonus streichfett strings which is a v v underrated cheap funbox imho]

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Scatterfold posted:

if you're in a sunday evening mood to just let a load of sequences wash over eachother and also you; & are happy with that stasis

https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/phexioenesystems-basic-body

[bonus streichfett strings which is a v v underrated cheap funbox imho]

You're after my heart, man. What are you using to generate sequences?

My modular is basically being taken over by generative components. I picked up an Arpiteched earlier this month, and have the Triad coming, and can at this point make a nearly hands-off three-voice generative song if I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbowZgcd1s0

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Oldstench posted:

I know there are a few Push2 users around and you may want to cross post in the Ableton thread. I have heard from pretty much every other user/friend that has one that it is essentially the hardware extension of Ableton. It offers pretty much full control over Live and limitless customization options. My local friend basically said he can't imagine producing in Ableton without it now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oldstench posted:

It rocks so hard. It's super easy to start with but also incredibly (dauntingly) deep. Easily worth buying, on sale often enough that it might be worth waiting, makes Ableton better. A+

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

You're after my heart, man. What are you using to generate sequences?

that one is pretty overkill - there's the modular itself (which is one of the background layers - you hear it clean right at the very end); the two more forward ones are both in reaktor 6 - lots of randomisation; lots of shift registering. i hate ever having to program a single note tbqh.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MisterPlastic posted:

Allow me to be more specific. I will be using all 10 fingers over the course of at least 5 octaves. A synth like the MatrixBrute allows using 3 fingers to press the keys at once, max. This wouldn't be able to play a full score. This one dsi prophet rev 2 seemed as if the only new analog keyboard with enough 'voices.' Am I right? People seem mostly split regarding DSI (dead sound instruments). I for one have an Ensoniq SQ-2 88 keys that I'm ready to part with.

To play all 10 fingers at once, you need at least 10 voice "polyphony". You'll need more voices if you expect to do so with a patch that has any "release", i.e.: if the note takes time to stop playing after you release the key.

This is basically going to limit you to a digital synth. Few analog synths are going to have this much polyphony. 8 voices is pretty common for an analog. You correctly identify the prophet rev 2 as having 16 voice polyphony, but you also correctly identify it as sounding "sterile" due to its DCOs and Curtis filters. I'm not aware of any other "new" synths like this.

You might consider buying rackmounted or desktop synths that are capable of "chaining" together to add up to enough polyphony. Something like an Oberheim Matrix 1000 or maybe the MKS80 does it, I don't know. Maybe someone can chime in with more suggestions.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
I've tried but I simply cannot resist the OB-6 any longer. Having a hard time deciding between keys or module version. Presumably they're functionally equivalent but I've never played any DSI keys. Is there a compelling reason to favor one version vs the other for reasons other than form factor?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Push 2 is a massive upgrade over the original and (with a little bit of effort) mostly replace your keyboard/mouse interfacing.

Ableton has an their Loop event in November, and I suspect we'll be getting Live 10 announced. You might be able to get a cheap bundle then. I doubt they'll drop a Push 3 until another year or so after that.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

Push 2 is a massive upgrade over the original and (with a little bit of effort) mostly replace your keyboard/mouse interfacing.

Ableton has an their Loop event in November, and I suspect we'll be getting Live 10 announced. You might be able to get a cheap bundle then. I doubt they'll drop a Push 3 until another year or so after that.

Eh, I went ahead and bought it. I'm impatient.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I think Push 2 will last a couple of years and get some big software upgrades when Live 10 drops. It's a hugely versatile controller and the new Simpler shows what can be done from a software only perspective.

Not that Live 9 and Push2 isn't already a force to be reckoned with. God knows what they'll add in Live 10, as Live 9.7 is already such a stonking beast that ticks so many of my boxes. I often find myself not even looking outside the stock Suite. Push 2 just makes it even better.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Plavski posted:

I think Push 2 will last a couple of years and get some big software upgrades when Live 10 drops. It's a hugely versatile controller and the new Simpler shows what can be done from a software only perspective.

Not that Live 9 and Push2 isn't already a force to be reckoned with. God knows what they'll add in Live 10, as Live 9.7 is already such a stonking beast that ticks so many of my boxes. I often find myself not even looking outside the stock Suite. Push 2 just makes it even better.

Plavski posted:

If Live 10 is announced in November, what's a reasonable expectation for when it will be released? I have been wanting a Push2 for a while but have been putting it off in hopes of sale. I expect they will have a Push 2 and upgrade bundle from 9.7 to 10 but don't want to wait nearly a year for it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

A Live 10 announcement is just rumoured. No-one knows anything yet only that beta releases have been slowing down. If it's announced in November, it'll probably be a good few months before launch anyway. But honestly, it's all guesswork and no-one knows anything. Your best bet for a Push2 will be the 30% off sales they occasionally do.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Plavski posted:

A Live 10 announcement is just rumoured. No-one knows anything yet only that beta releases have been slowing down. If it's announced in November, it'll probably be a good few months before launch anyway. But honestly, it's all guesswork and no-one knows anything. Your best bet for a Push2 will be the 30% off sales they occasionally do.

Thanks a lot! I'll keep an eye out for a sale.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Oldstench posted:

Eh, I went ahead and bought it. I'm impatient.

You definitely won't regret it. It's pretty amazing.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MisterPlastic posted:

Got it, will not buy. Do you think the DSI rev 2 would be good to play Final Fantasy songs? Any other suggestions? At least 5 octaves and polyphonic capabilities to handle Nobou Oumatsu (sp)'s sickest jams.

You want realistic sounding copies of real instruments: do not buy analog or any virtual analog that is not a Virus TI.

Even as a NES emulator analogs and virtual analogs suck because they did a lot of tricks to the sound that gives it a specific quality (read: obsessive micro event editing more like a tracker to fake delay, reverb, extra notes) and unless you get a Nord Modular you are not going to find that kind of thing in regular mod matrices. You are better off with Plogue Chipsounds for NES or Kontakt and https://impactsoundworks.com/product/super-audio-cart/ for SNES.

In what way is the Ensoniq disappointing you? Basically any new Roland or Korg or Yamaha workstation will have more and better sounds with more polyphony but the build quality is going to be worse than that Ensoniq. But :capitalism:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Kontakt and synths, there's a bundle on now that is basically all of Samplephonics' Kontakt stuff plus a year's subscription to Noiiz for crazy cheap.

http://vstbuzz.com/deals/88-off-everything-bundle-samplephonics/?mc_cid=87b5312e1a&mc_eid=badadf5de4

I have Noiiz but haven't used it much yet. Some of those Samplephonics libraries are absolutely awesome, though; I'm a huge fan of Dirty Modular, Philicorda, and their 808/909 instruments.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Laserjet 4P posted:

but the build quality is going to be worse than that Ensoniq. But :capitalism:
spoken like somebody who never had to open an esq-1
literally held together with cardboard. the thing sounded beautiful, the display was gorgeous and it was the easiest machine ive ever edited that wasnt kpf, but having to replace the battery and seeing what cheap poo poo the inside was made me so happy to flip it
maybe they got better? idk

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yea all the ensoniqs were absolutely built to a price point.

Speaking of, Cubase is giving 40%off upgrades coupon code UPDATE17.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
So there might be an Octatrack 2 coming?

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/elektron-octatrack-dps1-mkii-dynamic-performance-sampler/655893-01/

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

who gives a gently caress when u can get a ~ B R A N D ~ N E W ~ odyssey &&& minimoog for the same price hahahahahha nothing matters :getin:

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

who gives a gently caress when u can get a ~ B R A N D ~ N E W ~ odyssey &&& minimoog for the same price hahahahahha nothing matters :getin:

i think you mean brand new behringer minimoog for $299 :getin:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

dj bobby bieber posted:

i think you mean brand new behringer minimoog for $299 :getin:

Good lord only 299 now? I shouldn't buy another synth right now but I almost have to right?

Edit: Huh, articles say there is a pre-order on sweetwater but I can't seem to find it.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 29, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Can't find that thing in Europe to order. Take my money Behringer damnit!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Plavski posted:

Can't find that thing in Europe to order. Take my money Behringer damnit!

You can pre-purchase it on bax-shop but it seems they increase the price every week

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

MrSargent posted:

Good lord only 299 now? I shouldn't buy another synth right now but I almost have to right?

Edit: Huh, articles say there is a pre-order on sweetwater but I can't seem to find it.

It got disappeared quick. Wouldn't doubt the price after the Roland se2 announcement though.

Octatrack II announced. Prepare to be underwhelmed lol.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
n/m I'm dumb

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 29, 2017

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Hello. I'm saving up for a synth and doing some research in advance so I know exactly how much I need to save up. Are we still all recommending the Arturia minibrute for a starter synth like the OP says?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.elektron.se/octatrack-mkii/
Maybe the price on the first gen will go down?

quote:

What’s new?

Crisp OLED screen providing optimal feedback in dimly lit environments
Ultra durable back-lit buttons. Rated for 50 million presses
Contactless silky smooth performance crossfader
Precise, hi-res encoders
Increased amount of dedicated buttons enabling quicker workflow
Balanced audio inputs with plenty of headroom

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

net work error posted:

https://www.elektron.se/octatrack-mkii/
Maybe the price on the first gen will go down?

It'll be a great time to scour B/S/T on Muff's to get a MK1 cheap as chips.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Trier posted:

Hello. I'm saving up for a synth and doing some research in advance so I know exactly how much I need to save up. Are we still all recommending the Arturia minibrute for a starter synth like the OP says?

Much has been released since that OP. There are more than a few great offers in the 500 dollar range now. It depends what you're after. Any particular sound design or performance goals?

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

sliderule posted:

Much has been released since that OP. There are more than a few great offers in the 500 dollar range now. It depends what you're after. Any particular sound design or performance goals?

I don't really know anything about sound design yet, but I'm the learn-by-doing kind of guy so I'm mostly looking for something that lets me experiment and practice on while I learn everything I need to learn. So, I guess something versatile and intuitive would be my best answer to this question that I clearly don't understand well enough to give a real answer to.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Korg Minilogue is the light.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
What color Monologue pairs best with the Minilogue? Is it gold or is it blue?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Trier posted:

I don't really know anything about sound design yet, but I'm the learn-by-doing kind of guy so I'm mostly looking for something that lets me experiment and practice on while I learn everything I need to learn. So, I guess something versatile and intuitive would be my best answer to this question that I clearly don't understand well enough to give a real answer to.

This might seem obvious, maybe not. I can't tell from your answer; you'll likely need monitors/speakers, or some sort of way of listening to your work, as a lot of these hardware synths just have a few audio out jacks, and no internal speakers.

Again, might be obvious, though I don't even know if the one you're being referred to has them. I don't click on links :smug:

... Of things I'll never afford :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tayter Swift posted:

Korg Minilogue is the light.

This is probably the right answer.