Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well, did you agree?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I just finished Tales from the Borderlands and I like that Athena, as a vault hunter, just casually uses video game terminology. Specifically, that Athena is the only one to do that and everyone else seems to think it's weird as gently caress. Also I appreciate that Rhys and Fiona are never even hinted at having a relationship. It's nice to have a male and female lead that are just partners.

Coming off of Borderlands 2, that game was really a lot better than I was expecting.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

The tip only comes into play during stealth.

Hell, same

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just saved the Western Gate fortress from corrupted dudes, by the ruins of the Bridal Falls building/level 9 Bandit Camp. I love the design of the house when seen through the Vantage, it's very pretty, and I like that you can see the 'shell' that remains and see where the parts of the building used to be. I think next I'll do that camp and beeline to meridian, as the story quests are still level 12, and I'm at level 20 right now after doing everything in the Embrace. Those Snapjaw enemies are pretty cool too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Breaking poo poo in Red Faction: Guerrilla is so grossly satisfying, and I love that they waste no time in giving you everything you need to rip Mars apart.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

TGLT posted:

I just finished Tales from the Borderlands and I like that Athena, as a vault hunter, just casually uses video game terminology. Specifically, that Athena is the only one to do that and everyone else seems to think it's weird as gently caress.

That's not quite true. At the end of the game, if you choose Zer0 as one of your three teammates during the final fight, your friend asks him whether he was still looking for the same macguffin as the rest of you.

:silent:: Well... that was before. I've abandoned that mission. My queue was too full.

If you also chose Athena, she be like, "Ugh! Tell me about it."

Man, what a good game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Horizon's backstory, I like the name that humanity gave the end of days, which given the name, may be the name of the worldwide war between the corporations that eventually led humanity to be so ill-prepared as to succumb to whatever finished us off: Operation Apocashitstorm. :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TGLT posted:

Coming off of Borderlands 2, that game was really a lot better than I was expecting.
It just proves how bad the writing in the main Borderlands series is, because they took that same setting and made it good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Popped back into Horizon to clean up the last few trophies, and noticed that not only do rainstorms create puddles on the ground, when the storm is over the puddles don't just fade away but are animated to shrink inward from the edges as the water evaporates :stare:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I enjoyed reading that one of the ways the devs made Horizon look good is that they looked at high-quality nature photographs like you'd see in Natural Geographic, and then made the game 'hyperreal' so it always looked like that. So whenever you see a sunset it's always perfect. Whenever you see the stars, it's an amazing star-filled sky. When you're in the mountains looking down there's always the perfect mist. When it's raining, it's always either a pretty drizzle or a full-on storm, no in-between.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RyokoTK posted:

Breaking poo poo in Red Faction: Guerrilla is so grossly satisfying, and I love that they waste no time in giving you everything you need to rip Mars apart.

Does this work on modern machines now? Last time I installed it it ran super fast. My only experience with it are slow and laggy onmy old computer, nightmare fast on the new one.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I have a fairly new machine and it ran fine.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think it got an update a few years back when it looked like gfwl was going under completely so they made it steamworks and optimized it for newer computers.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yup just grab the Steam Edition and get to wrecking poo poo.

It's on sale just now too, only five bucks.

EDIT: Has any game since done destructible buildings as well as RFG? It's just so much goddamn fun.

Nordick has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Jun 26, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nordick posted:

EDIT: Has any game since done destructible buildings as well as RFG? It's just so much goddamn fun.

Crackdown 3's multiplayer is based more or less entirely on destructible buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWANLy9TjRc

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Guy Mann posted:

Crackdown 3's multiplayer is based more or less entirely on destructible buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWANLy9TjRc

maybe, they showed it off at E3 this year and there was no destruction at all. rumor has it that the building destruction will be multiplayer only, but if they didn't show ANY of it off this year it may be very neutered compared to this video.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Nordick posted:

Five bucks? I see it as 5 euros :(
Oh well I'll pick it up tomorrow. Dynamite all the things.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tumble posted:

maybe, they showed it off at E3 this year and there was no destruction at all. rumor has it that the building destruction will be multiplayer only, but if they didn't show ANY of it off this year it may be very neutered compared to this video.

Yeah, it's restricted to multiplayer only because they're using :pcgaming:THE CLOUD:pcgaming: to offload the computing power that that kind of physics requires. Between that and it being restricted to Windows 10 app store and Xbone it may as well not even exist, sadly.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Nordick posted:

EDF EDF!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In Horizon, I didn't expect that the Tallnecks actually have slightly different models for each one - they all have a different climb to the head from the shoulder, which is pretty cute. I expected them to just be copy pastes with the only difference being the environment, s it's pretty cool that they gave them each their own thing. I've only done the second one, but it was a nice surprise. Also I enjoy that they give vantage points for some of the more pain-in-the-rear end Corrupted Zones, like I just did the level 20 one in the far south, with the Longlegs and Tramplers which would have wrecked me playing fair, by standing on the cliff wall surrounding them, sniping them with fire arrows, then letting them forget about me. I'm largely doing side-stuff to make the story easier. Doing the Tallnecks fairly early will make navigation easier, being able to override more enemies will be handy although I haven't got around to the next cauldron yet as they're hard, and I don't want a mission walking me straight through a corrupted Zone. I almost always do it this way in these kinds of games to give me an edge. The skills will also help, currently level 22. I have two story missions to choose from, talk to Olen at the dig site now I know whats up with him, and help the captain get revenge on the cultists for their crimes against his family. (Levels 12 and 19 respectively)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tumble posted:

Not just a rumor, confirmed by the developer (who is going with "oh, you thought that was going to be in the whole game? Silly rabbit, that was ALWAYS going to be multiplayer only. How did you not know that?") Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-19-clearing-up-confusion-surrounding-crackdown-3-destruction

I'd also bet on it being scaled back from the video personally, just based on the fact that its a videogame hype video from a long time before the game will be released, but I have no dog in this fight; I didnt really like Crackdown that much and never finished it.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Feonir posted:

EDF EDF!

My favorite video game quote of all-time is "We're on a thrilling underground expedition!"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ilmucche posted:

Five bucks? I see it as 5 euros :(
Oh well I'll pick it up tomorrow. Dynamite all the things.

Yes but it's just 5,59 USD and "buck" sounds cooler than "euro". :v:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
All this talk about Red Faction and no one mentions the Nano-Rifle? It's obviously not as cool as the sledgehammer, but collapsing a bridge with one or two well placed shots and seeing an entire convoy plummet never got old.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So, does the stuff in Red Faction fall at 37% speed

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I just hit level 30 in Final Fantasy XIV and the game gave me a million gil as a congrats, which was nice.

Then I checked my email after quitting the game and they gave me an additional 15 days on my subscription for free, also as a congrats for hitting level 30. Holy poo poo, that's weird. Awesome, but weird.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Veotax posted:

I just hit level 30 in Final Fantasy XIV and the game gave me a million gil as a congrats, which was nice.

Then I checked my email after quitting the game and they gave me an additional 15 days on my subscription for free, also as a congrats for hitting level 30. Holy poo poo, that's weird. Awesome, but weird.

I hit level 30 yesterday and didn't get any of that, presumably because I'm still on the free trial. :v:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mad Max is a pretty bog standard open world game by all accounts but it's great if you're a fan of the movies like I am.

Including a photo mode was also genius and will probably extend my playtime

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm liking Mad Max better than most other open world games I've played. I think it's because the world feels a little more alive, somehow, even if it just endless desertand mountains. There's also being able to drive a kickass car everywhere.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The photo mode of Mad Max is so good. You can make some pretty rad screenshots and wallpapers with it, I love all the stupid filters and touches you can add. Here's some of my favorites I made:

I need to go back and finish this game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

I'm liking Mad Max better than most other open world games I've played. I think it's because the world feels a little more alive, somehow, even if it just endless desertand mountains. There's also being able to drive a kickass car everywhere.

Yeah I was playing Dragon's Dogma and I was bored out of my mind despite the game having great combat. I think it's because the characters are pretty boring and the game is a little stingy with fast travel. also no kickass car.

edit: on photo mode. I think Shadow of Mordor had a slightly better one due to how well animated the Orcs. I haven't really been wowed by any of the animations in mad max.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Jun 27, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Veotax posted:

that happened because you're on one of their new/preferred servers to help traffic people more towards those and not so much towards the already super full servers

the fun thing is that you can do that once per account so i just spent a couple hours rolling up a new character on one of those servers and fished to level 30 while listening to podcasts and now i've got 15 free days to spend on my actual character :v:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

wafflemoose posted:

The photo mode of Mad Max is so good. You can make some pretty rad screenshots and wallpapers with it, I love all the stupid filters and touches you can add. Here's some of my favorites I made:

I love how this one looks like legit concept art.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

that happened because you're on one of their new/preferred servers to help traffic people more towards those and not so much towards the already super full servers

the fun thing is that you can do that once per account so i just spent a couple hours rolling up a new character on one of those servers and fished to level 30 while listening to podcasts and now i've got 15 free days to spend on my actual character :v:

FFXIV is $15 a month at its most expensive, you basically just worked a job that paid less than minimum wage and paid out in company scrip :thunk:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Guy Mann posted:

FFXIV is $15 a month at its most expensive, you basically just worked a job that paid less than minimum wage and paid out in company scrip :thunk:

That's MMOs.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

hell i'd take less than minimum wage if my job was to relax in my bedroom catch up on podcasts i'd fallen behind on and occasionally push 'fish' and 'reel in'

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brother Entropy posted:

hell i'd take less than minimum wage if my job was to relax in my bedroom catch up on podcasts i'd fallen behind on and occasionally push 'fish' and 'reel in'

Pretty sure marketing/sales jobs generally pay more than minimum wage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Brother Entropy posted:

I just play real games and listen to podcasts.

I've been working through My Brother, My Brother and Me while playing through Super Robot Wars V.

Speaking of Super Robot Wars V, it's crazy how this game improves the storylines of pretty much every series involved in it. It's like the common theme of this game was "robot cartoons with poo poo endings" and then they decided to just re-write all the endings in ways that didn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Nuebot posted:

I just play real games and listen to podcasts.

I've been working through My Brother, My Brother and Me while playing through Super Robot Wars V.

Speaking of Super Robot Wars V, it's crazy how this game improves the storylines of pretty much every series involved in it. It's like the common theme of this game was "robot cartoons with poo poo endings" and then they decided to just re-write all the endings in ways that didn't suck.

But why don't we shoot the gundams into the sun?