Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
My favorite is when I have a full rail and people walk up to the gap in the bar next to the grill to try and get me to make them drinks before they even find a place to sit because they're too impatient to wait for their server/ the bartender.

E: Or even better, when they just want someone to cash their vidlot ticket, and it has to be Right Now.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

My favorite is when I have a full rail and people walk up to the gap in the bar next to the grill to try and get me to make them drinks before they even find a place to sit because they're too impatient to wait for their server/ the bartender.

E: Or even better, when they just want someone to cash their vidlot ticket, and it has to be Right Now.

I hate impatient people with the fury of a thousand suns. Yes I know your coffee is low but I have five other tables that don't even have drinks yet and I'm currently over my head in weeds. Wait five seconds.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Recoome posted:

excuse ME but I am ALLERGIC to the COLOUR GREEN

Recoome posted:

Idk why you'd want to rob own or work in a restaurant it's poo poo money anyway

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Recoome posted:

excuse ME but I am ALLERGIC to the COLOUR GREEN

I have a friend who claims to be allergic to certain red foods, including bell peppers and cranberries. Not sure how extensive it is (or if its psychosomatic) but apparently it can be a thing.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I work at a pizza place and had a ticket come in for our version of the meat lover's pie; (pepp, Italian sausage, ground beef, ham, And Bacon). Cust Said They Were Allergic To Sausage, but Sub That Sausage For Extra Bacon. ????

e*
Not sure why random words were capitalized. I was phone posting. There was an allergy chat ~15 pages ago, so I know there are some strange outliers. The only thing my coworkers and I could come up with was that they were possibly allergic to carraway seeds or one of those common spices in italian sausage...Or they were dumb.

-Side topic: I need a decent knife sharpener. Not a cheap honing steel or one of those two-stage carbon/ceramic passover joints. Suggestions?

odinson fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 24, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Could have been concern about nitrates or nitrites. It's bullshit to be worried about it, they're in bacon as well, but it's all I can think of. For a sharpener, do you want a stone or a system?

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
I am so sick of this gluten free poo poo.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Could have been concern about nitrates or nitrites. It's bullshit to be worried about it, they're in bacon as well, but it's all I can think of. For a sharpener, do you want a stone or a system?

Dude's allergic to fennel seed probably, and yes, that's a thing.

Knife sharpeners are stupid, learn to use a stone.

Only 5 days left at the Omni, and I get to cash out 200 hours of PTO on the way out!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The one true heezy posted:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

This, though moreso at my old job. However,

Shooting Blanks posted:

Could have been concern about nitrates or nitrites.

This is my worry for the future. Unless they look grey and lovely, your cured meats have them because of concentrated celery juice/salt or another pink salt substitute, even if they're "Nitrite Free." It's just a labeling gimmick.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I was working at a high end pizza place when the gluten free stuff started, we had a big open kitchen with a huge brick oven so the customers could watch us cook the pizzas. Now if you've ever worked in a pizza place you know that flour is on everything, but yeah those gluten free assholes would stroll on in demanding to be catered to.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I don't miss dealing with this in the slightest.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My childhood cancer survivor cousin with legit Celiac's disease appreciates the variety of foods though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Yeah, through it all, despite it all, do please remember that Celiac's is a thing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, through it all, despite it all, do please remember that Celiac's is a thing.

The big problem with Celiac's isn't that it's not real, it's that people with actual Celiac's know better than to go into a bakery. Like the guy at the pizza joint mentioned - a production bakery is going to have flour everywhere, and it's simply not possible to do anything about it without shutting the doors for a few days for a top to bottom deep clean. Locations like that need to just post a sign saying "We cannot accommodate gluten-free requests, and the interior may be harmful to your health if you have a gluten allergy."

There was a similar story here about someone working at a confectionery or something similar where there are ground nuts everywhere from making candy, they had to post a warning about peanuts. Nobody in this thread wants to someone up with allergies, but people with actual serious, potentially life threatening allergies need to be cognizant that some businesses simply cannot do anything for them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I blame it all on Gwenyth Paltrow and GOOP. Though Dr Oz is probably closer to the start.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Skwirl posted:

I blame it all on Gwenyth Paltrow and GOOP. Though Dr Oz is probably closer to the start.

I remember Red #40 was the big scare at one point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

iospace posted:

I remember Red #40 was the big scare at one point.

In high school half the kids thought Yellow #5 made you sterile and the other half did nothing but chug Mountain Dew.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm currently cooking for a natural foods co-op deli, so I'll see your pseudo-Celiac, fad diet, homeopathic-woo customers and raise you.

Some highlights:

- my boss insisting we do beef burgers on one side of the grill, and veggie/black bean on the other, as if the meat cooties recognize boundaries
- same for the regular vs gluten-free bread we put on the panini press
- customer asking me today if I had ever someone complain about wild GI distress from quinoa, acting like it was my fault she got the shits from it the last FIVE times she's eaten it. "A friend said maybe it was too much fiber, and I said 'No, I eat plenty of foods with high fiber!'" Um, maybe cut back on the fiber, Poopmistress?
- "I got invited to a potluck, and the host is on some diet where she can't eat garlic or onions... what do you sell that doesn't have any?" Answer: I found ONE salad we make with no alliums. Even if it doesn't have scallions or red onions, almost everything has garlic in the dressing. [I actually felt bad for this woman; who the gently caress has a potluck and demands crazy restrictions like that from the guests? She was really sweet, and appreciative that I took the time to scour the entire deli case for something]
- people with OMG I'LL DIE IF I EVEN LOOK AT A PEANUT/WHEAT allergies that have no problem hanging out in the bulk aisle
- Customer: "do you sell Fat Bombs? I'm on the keto diet" Me: [choking back laughter because all I can think of is the fameous SA quote by Triticum about "a man shaped like a melted candle"]

... and of course kooks in general like the guy who washes his paper money and blesses it, or the dude who quadruple bags his own stuff. The cashiers see him coming, sigh, ring him up, then go to another register because he's gonna be bagging his groceries for the next 25 minutes.

We just 86'ed using china/silverware for "for here" entrees and are going with strictly plastic utensils and to-go containers (which are all recyclable). Can't wait for the inevitable blowback on that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm currently cooking for a natural foods co-op deli, so I'll see your pseudo-Celiac, fad diet, homeopathic-woo customers and raise you.

Some highlights:

- my boss insisting we do beef burgers on one side of the grill, and veggie/black bean on the other, as if the meat cooties recognize boundaries
- same for the regular vs gluten-free bread we put on the panini press
- customer asking me today if I had ever someone complain about wild GI distress from quinoa, acting like it was my fault she got the shits from it the last FIVE times she's eaten it. "A friend said maybe it was too much fiber, and I said 'No, I eat plenty of foods with high fiber!'" Um, maybe cut back on the fiber, Poopmistress?
- "I got invited to a potluck, and the host is on some diet where she can't eat garlic or onions... what do you sell that doesn't have any?" Answer: I found ONE salad we make with no alliums. Even if it doesn't have scallions or red onions, almost everything has garlic in the dressing. [I actually felt bad for this woman; who the gently caress has a potluck and demands crazy restrictions like that from the guests? She was really sweet, and appreciative that I took the time to scour the entire deli case for something]
- people with OMG I'LL DIE IF I EVEN LOOK AT A PEANUT/WHEAT allergies that have no problem hanging out in the bulk aisle
- Customer: "do you sell Fat Bombs? I'm on the keto diet" Me: [choking back laughter because all I can think of is the fameous SA quote by Triticum about "a man shaped like a melted candle"]

... and of course kooks in general like the guy who washes his paper money and blesses it, or the dude who quadruple bags his own stuff. The cashiers see him coming, sigh, ring him up, then go to another register because he's gonna be bagging his groceries for the next 25 minutes.

We just 86'ed using china/silverware for "for here" entrees and are going with strictly plastic utensils and to-go containers (which are all recyclable). Can't wait for the inevitable blowback on that.

I look forward to the stories of the blowback.

Also, having a weekend off is amazing.

Skwirl posted:

In high school half the kids thought Yellow #5 made you sterile and the other half did nothing but chug Mountain Dew.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The first one is a thing vegans will complain about, so if you advertise as vegan friendly it's something you should do, the second is a thing that could make someone with celiacs sick, so again, eh, just loving do it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Counterpoint: gently caress ultra-hardcore vegans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

iospace posted:

Obviously, they tend to be hot and skinny and have enough dad issues that they're freaky in the bed.

"I don't eat meat animal products, so I don't want my food soaking in animal fat while it cooks" doesn't seem an extreme request.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Shooting Blanks posted:

The big problem with Celiac's isn't that it's not real, it's that people with actual Celiac's know better than to go into a bakery. Like the guy at the pizza joint mentioned - a production bakery is going to have flour everywhere, and it's simply not possible to do anything about it without shutting the doors for a few days for a top to bottom deep clean. Locations like that need to just post a sign saying "We cannot accommodate gluten-free requests, and the interior may be harmful to your health if you have a gluten allergy."

There was a similar story here about someone working at a confectionery or something similar where there are ground nuts everywhere from making candy, they had to post a warning about peanuts. Nobody in this thread wants to someone up with allergies, but people with actual serious, potentially life threatening allergies need to be cognizant that some businesses simply cannot do anything for them.

Back when I was a baker, we actually had a sign on the door warning people with Celiac's not to come in the building due to all the flour in the air. We added another a couple months later for tree nuts and peanuts after someone came in and had a minor reaction. To legally meet the standards to call something we made 'gluten free' we needed to shut down for three days, clean top down, and have the entire ventilation system purged. That was never, ever happening.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

iospace posted:

I am allergic to red meat due to a tick bite. Fortunately I'm not hypersensitive but some people are. On the other hand anyone with this allergy who eats anything that's been on a restaurant grill is a moron.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

I am allergic to red meat due to a tick bite. Fortunately I'm not hypersensitive but some people are. On the other hand anyone with this allergy who eats anything that's been on a restaurant grill is a moron.

Again, it depends on how the restaurant sells itself. The manager putting these restrictions up probably wants to sell burgers and also be able to sell you that thing they call a burger but actually just has the top of a portobello mushroom instead of meat, without worrying about needing an ambulance.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

Back when I was a baker, we actually had a sign on the door warning people with Celiac's not to come in the building due to all the flour in the air. We added another a couple months later for tree nuts and peanuts after someone came in and had a minor reaction. To legally meet the standards to call something we made 'gluten free' we needed to shut down for three days, clean top down, and have the entire ventilation system purged. That was never, ever happening.

You're the one I was talking about, couldn't remember.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

I am allergic to red meat due to a tick bite.

This is my greatest fear. Like I would maybe take lyme over that.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm currently cooking for a natural foods co-op deli

This post made me happy by the time I got to this part. I hope things are going well for you, JD.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

bongwizzard posted:

This is my greatest fear. Like I would maybe take lyme over that.

I would take death over that

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

At least I got chicken.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It always baffles me how these people who act like they actually have severe food allergies are usually 100x worse then the people with actual severe food allergies. I knew a few people who have that crazy mix of allergic to almost 70-80% of the ingredient spectrum including someone so allergic to dairy that he would erupt in hives if someone splashed his face with milk. He didn't eat out at all or only at specific places he knew personally had items he could eat safely. He was still way more relaxed and chill about his eating habits and diet because he had learned what he could and couldn't handle and didn't play the game of demanding special treatment in a new restaurant.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm dating a girl who's got celiac and is allergic to most nuts and seeds.

There is like nowhere we can eat on a date.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I would take death over that

A very Texas response.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

pentyne posted:

It always baffles me how these people who act like they actually have severe food allergies are usually 100x worse then the people with actual severe food allergies. I knew a few people who have that crazy mix of allergic to almost 70-80% of the ingredient spectrum including someone so allergic to dairy that he would erupt in hives if someone splashed his face with milk. He didn't eat out at all or only at specific places he knew personally had items he could eat safely. He was still way more relaxed and chill about his eating habits and diet because he had learned what he could and couldn't handle and didn't play the game of demanding special treatment in a new restaurant.

People with actual food allergies have their life on the line and don't take stupid risks or bring their own pasta to the italian restaurant.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pentyne posted:

It always baffles me how these people who act like they actually have severe food allergies are usually 100x worse then the people with actual severe food allergies.

This just reminds me of that thread from a couple years ago that bounced around from, like, GBS to BFC to here to E/N about the hoarder goon who refused to learn how to cook, and her manchild husband who blew all their money on Star Wars toys and ate out for every meal because he insisted he had an allergy to literally all fresh produce.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Timby posted:

This just reminds me of that thread from a couple years ago that bounced around from, like, GBS to BFC to here to E/N about the hoarder goon who refused to learn how to cook, and her manchild husband who blew all their money on Star Wars toys and ate out for every meal because he insisted he had an allergy to literally all fresh produce.

https://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

quote:

1) Husband has oral allergy syndrome. This means that when he consumes raw produce his mouth breaks out. Depending on the produce and the amount consumed, his throat could close up and kill him. Over the years he has grown suspicious of whether or not produce is sufficiently cooked, and is naturally reluctant. If he were to chop up some fruits or veggies his hands would break out. I have to eat oranges with the windows open because the stuff that releases in the air when you peel it bothers him. This is a real issue and not some made-up aversion to fruits and vegetables.

2) Husband has concern about food poisoning. Not sure where this came from but he is suspicious of leftovers and most items that are in the fridge will not be consumed after two days (48 hours).

3) I am super-picky about cheese and will not touch grilled cheese sandwiches or mac and cheese. I prefer an emphasis on produce, usually fresh, but also enjoy processed foods.

4) Since husband feels safer with processed foods you can see where this is going.

5) We enable each other about food. If I ask him to get me a Big Mac he smiles and goes out and brings me a Big Mac! If I want a salad I find a place that prepares what I want that also has a non-produce option for him. I can send him anywhere for anything and he will go. Says he really doesn't mind. We are terribly enabling.

He does trust me to prepare produce for him, we have experimented with that before and on his birthdays I usually prepare fruit smoothies for him, cooking the fruit just enough and with me taste-testing until I can be sure the offending enzymes are gone.

But then they would eat out constantly and get tons of fast food.

Fun fact, besides spending hundreds a month on star wars toys, people were screaming at the OP to change her diet immediately since she was pregnant when she posted and begging her to start seeing a prenatal care doctor, one of the reasons being that she was highly susceptible to gestational diabetes and sure enough 4-5 months later she posted a new thread asking for help with what to do now that she had gestational diabetes.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
The Best Thread

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rreFXFnlKO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

So, this is interesting.

Willows Inn got busted by Department of Labor for unpaid stages and unpaid overtime.

Frankly, I'm glad. I think it's bullshit that lots of high-end restaurants rely on armies of unpaid/underpaid staff. I don't care if a lot of their stages are eager to do it, you need to pay your loving workers and pay them fairly. If you can't do that then you don't deserve to be open because you're either a poo poo business-person or your business model sucks. I'm sure the reality is that many of them could find ways to pay their staff more. If people are already paying $195 a pop to eat there (before taxes, tip, or beverages), I'm pretty sure they'll be willing to tack $40 more on so you can pay your people properly. Bottom line, I guarantee you that most of the owners crying that they need to rip off these gullible, intensely hardworking professionals busting their asses every day to make that chef's dream a reality would somehow find a way to make things work if forced to comply with labor laws. But hey, why would you when you've got a steady stream of people to take advantage of and nobody calling you on it, and not just not calling you on it but heaping you with praise for how brilliant and inspiring you are. Well I don't think it's very praiseworthy or inspiring when you get to cheat with free labor and I hope the DoL starts cracking down on other places around town in violation too.

• Locked thread