Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Thanks, can't wait to congratulate you guys on 29 consecutive years without a Word Series appearance.

If it comes to that, might I recommend you taking advantage of the acoustics and delivering your congratulatory remarks from within the empty hallway that is the Giants' farm system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Three A's rookies hit their first career dinger today and it was fun and good and the Youth Movement is real and cool.

https://twitter.com/athletics/status/878712588409982978

Senf fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 25, 2017

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The Giants are bad right now but no one sane in the Bay Area is too concerned because:

1. This is the core that won 3 World Series Championships, so you can't blame the Front Office for sticking with them as long as they possibly could.

2. The Giants will be good again, since this team is well run and has plenty of money. The farm system is underrated but lacks impact prospects since they haven't picked in the top half of the draft in some time. They've drafted excellently when they've had early picks (Lincecum, Bumgarner, Posey) and OK when they've had later ones (Panik, Arroyo).

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

The haters can say what they want about Bonds' achievements being diminished because of the steroids, but the fact is he truly was great at beating his wife.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
But... but... he smiles now!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Thanks, can't wait to congratulate you guys on 29 consecutive years without a Word Series appearance.
One of these days the Dodgers will fall rear end-backwards into a World Series. Probably not the same year they win the most games in the NL because baseball.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

2. The Giants will be good again, since this team is well run and has plenty of money. The farm system is underrated but lacks impact prospects since they haven't picked in the top half of the draft in some time. They've drafted excellently when they've had early picks (Lincecum, Bumgarner, Posey) and OK when they've had later ones (Panik, Arroyo).
Yeah they really are at a disadvantage not having a bunch of high draft picks the last decade like the Dodgers.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 25, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The payroll is higher this year than last so who the heck knows!

Even if that was the case, the signings/trades they did make were bad and puzzling and overpays.

Yeah a lot of the money they spent feels like plausible deniability spending. Like they can say "sure the team sucks but at least we spent money so now time to tear it all down" as if making your big free agent signings J.A. Happ and Kendrys Morales is really going for it.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
John Smoltz as next Mets pitching coach, please(?)

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/878901092507017218

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My favorite SA tic is bawfuls' complete inability to stop himself from posting about the Giants or responding to almost literally every post about the Giants.

It's totes adorbs :3:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its very similar to Giants fans who do the same thing with the Dodgers!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Its very similar to Giants fans who do the same thing with the Dodgers!

Nah our tic is a pathological inability to just not respond to his posts

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

:justpost:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

I kinda like that there's at least a little bit of trash talk. Even the Cubs and Cardinals posters don't fight. I'd talk more poo poo about the Mets but it seems unkind to mock the infirm.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/879039413749112832

:bisonyes:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He is risen

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah a lot of the money they spent feels like plausible deniability spending. Like they can say "sure the team sucks but at least we spent money so now time to tear it all down" as if making your big free agent signings J.A. Happ and Kendrys Morales is really going for it.

Getting cast-off Mariners only works a third of the time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

itshappening dot gif

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Mmhmm that's all well and good however have you considered gently caress the giants?

E: I cry nightly from their three recent titles and Bonds haunts my dreams

Der Meister fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 25, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tim Tebow and the Mets were made for each other, he's definitely playing in MLB by the end of the season

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tebow is destined to become a leftballer

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

seiferguy posted:

Getting cast-off Mariners only works a third of the time.

And it mostly works for the Rays.

And the Orioles.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Tim Tebow got promoted while batting .222/.311/.340 and having a fielding percentage of .879

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

ego symphonic posted:

I kinda like that there's at least a little bit of trash talk. Even the Cubs and Cardinals posters don't fight. I'd talk more poo poo about the Mets but it seems unkind to mock the infirm.

Yes but have you also considered gently caress The Mets?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

corn on the cop posted:

Tim Tebow got promoted while batting .222/.311/.340 and having a fielding percentage of .879

I thought we as a people had come to an agreement that fielding percentage is bullshit

(.879 as an outfielder holy gently caress)

e: 7 errors on 58 chances ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 25, 2017

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Justin Upton's contract runs through 2021 at $22m/yr but he can opt out this summer. He's 29yo hitting .268/.354/.496 is he likely to opt out?

Tigers have the worst record in the AL, might as well trade assets and tank

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

I thought we as a people had come to an agreement that fielding percentage is bullshit

(.879 as an outfielder holy gently caress)

It's more that good fielding percentage doesn't necessarily mean a good fielder, but bad fielding percentage usually does mean a bad fielder.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

It's more that good fielding percentage doesn't necessarily mean a good fielder, but bad fielding percentage usually does mean a bad fielder.

Well also that fielders with great range suffer from worse fielding percentages at times because their errors would be hits for fielders with lesser range

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I only posted the fielding percentage because it was catastrophic :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

.879 for an outfielder is indeed quite something

e: Or anyone really

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 25, 2017

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

nobody wanted to point out tebow struck out 69 times

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Well also that fielders with great range suffer from worse fielding percentages at times because their errors would be hits for fielders with lesser range

Depends on the scorer, but errors are usually only called on routine fly balls, rather than diving or full sprint catches. A fielder with great range will get to more balls but he's not likely to commit errors at a higher rate.

e: I can't find Tebow's errors categorized anywhere but having seen him play QB I imagine they're along the lines of "tried to throw out a runner at home but airmailed the ball into the stands"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

Depends on the scorer, but errors are usually only called on routine fly balls, rather than diving or full sprint catches. A fielder with great range will get to more balls but he's not likely to commit errors at a higher rate.

Yeah that's true for outfielders. I just meant in general since I distinctly remember Adam Everett getting dinged for errors on balls that no one else in the league except maybe Vizquel could have gotten to. In the outfield you have to really gently caress up to get an error

e: And you also don't get an error for three guys just watching a ball fall in between them :v:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 25, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Yeah that's true for outfielders. I just meant in general since I distinctly remember Adam Everett getting dinged for errors on balls that no one else in the league except maybe Vizquel could have gotten to. In the outfield you have to really gently caress up to get an error

It's definitely a thing for SS, because the hard-to-get-to balls mean they often have to throw either from the hole or from on their knees, and scorers don't seem to take that extra degree of difficulty into consideration if the throw is bad.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Tim Tebow is bad at baseball and there is no excuse the Mets can give for promoting him other then pimping Tebow to sell tickets. I honestly didn't think the Mets would actually follow through with it but we might see Tebow in the majors which is absolutely bonkers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I won't lie I will watch literally every Mets game that Tebow plays in, perhaps even over watching Astros games

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tim Tebow is going to wear a Mets jersey before Amed Rosario does.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Popete posted:

Tim Tebow is bad at baseball and there is no excuse the Mets can give for promoting him other then pimping Tebow to sell tickets. I honestly didn't think the Mets would actually follow through with it but we might see Tebow in the majors which is absolutely bonkers.

The Mets move in mysterious ways.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/879049268379607040

:trumppop:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Fiers' FIP is almost exactly twice Archer's :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ronald Torreyes, True Yankee Hero and Heart And Soul of the team, hit a home run today.

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/879075201409060864

• Locked thread