Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I thought smashing the lab was part of the good ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lol At people applying their normal life morals to the life of a universe traveling hyper mage in a world filled with extra dimensional monsters.

"throwing things off a table is wrong, always" -a 33 year old computer janitor in a first world country

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I really don't remember what I picked in that scene. What were the choices again? I got the good dad, Witcher Ciri ending.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If you're a good dad (3/5 "good" choices with ciri) you get Witcher ciri ending. If you do that and off Radovid while convincing Ciri that being Empress will help the world you get the other good ending.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Right that I know, I just forget what the options were in the scene with Avallach's house/lab.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

GrossMurpel posted:

Venting your anger isn't healthy. Also, that sounds more like something shithead teenagers do and not actual adults, sorry.

Venting anger and grief and frustration absolutely is healthy, holy poo poo.

Obviously you shouldn't do it all the time but there's times where its a good idea and clearly, obviously, Ciri smashing up the lab is one of those moments.

Keeping your emotions bottled up and being in denial about how you feel is a super, super good way to wind up all sorts of hosed up.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

If you're a good dad (3/5 "good" choices with ciri) you get Witcher ciri ending. If you do that and off Radovid while convincing Ciri that being Empress will help the world you get the other good ending.

It's really Emhyr that convinces her off-screen. Geralt weirdly doesn't get a say in the matter: so long as you brought Ciri to Nilfgaard and Nilfgaard won the war, Ciri becomes Empress. It's one of my issues with the game. I really wish that there was a scene where Ciri confides in you about what Emhyr offers her and you have a chance to influence her ultimate decision by either encouraging her to accept it for the sake of the greater good ("think of all the good you could do") or dissuading her from being manipulated by her father ("don't let anyone rule your life*, do what makes you happy").

It always felt strange to me that you do not get a chance to influence her decision. As it is, if you want the Witchress ending (and you should), you have to deprive yourself of content and skip going to Nilfgaard unless you're planning on skipping Reasons of State or siding with Djikstra

*except me

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 25, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

In It For The Tank posted:

It's really Emhyr that convinces her off-screen. Geralt weirdly doesn't get a say in the matter: so long as you brought Ciri to Nilfgaard and Nilfgaard won the war, Ciri becomes Empress. It's one of my issues with the game. I really wish that there was a scene where Ciri confides in you about what Emhyr offers her and you have a chance to influence her ultimate decision by either encouraging her to accept it for the sake of the greater good ("think of all the good you could do") or dissuading her from being manipulated by her father ("don't let anyone rule your life*, do what makes you happy").

It always felt strange to me that you do not get a chance to influence her decision. As it is, if you want the Witchress ending (and you should), you have to deprive yourself of content and skip going to Nilfgaard unless you're planning on skipping Reasons of State or siding with Djikstra

*except me

How much content do you miss by not going to Nilfgaard? I felt like it was much more in character to go "nah gently caress that let's go fight the Wild Hunt" when presented with that option.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

hopterque posted:

Venting anger and grief and frustration absolutely is healthy, holy poo poo.

Obviously you shouldn't do it all the time but there's times where its a good idea and clearly, obviously, Ciri smashing up the lab is one of those moments.

Keeping your emotions bottled up and being in denial about how you feel is a super, super good way to wind up all sorts of hosed up.

So the two options open to a reasonable adult are these:
1) Bottle up your emotions, never talk about them to anyone, slowly become bitter and antisocial.
2) loving SMASH THE LAB RAAAAAGH
That sound like it makes a lot of sense. After all, the short-term happiness from just lashing out is very helpful in being able to move past your anger long-term.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's not about what's the right or adult choice, but about supporting Ciri. She's angry, so you let her be angry.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Who cares if Ciri smashes some elven nerd's man cave

Avallac'h's an rear end in a top hat anyway

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's not like she torches the place or anything, just makes it messy.

And it's good, because Avallach always tells Geralt to be a bad dad.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I will mea culpa on taking the emperor's money (the game pretty much flashed a THIS IS A WRONG CHOICE at me immediately) but I did that cuz I wanted to upgrade my armor, not for roleplaying reasons.

you monster

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Bold Robot posted:

How much content do you miss by not going to Nilfgaard? I felt like it was much more in character to go "nah gently caress that let's go fight the Wild Hunt" when presented with that option.

It's a good couple of scenes, one of which factors into the ending, and the opportunity to earn 1000 gold or a new horse. Plus it's the only chance to have Ciri's two dads in the same room as her for the entire game, which makes it pretty significant from a dramatic standpoint.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

GrossMurpel posted:

So the two options open to a reasonable adult are these:
1) Bottle up your emotions, never talk about them to anyone, slowly become bitter and antisocial.
2) loving SMASH THE LAB RAAAAAGH
That sound like it makes a lot of sense. After all, the short-term happiness from just lashing out is very helpful in being able to move past your anger long-term.

She knocks some shelves over and breaks some things. It's obviously a healthy let off for someone that has the literal weight of the world on her shoulders and is in a lovely spot and needs the support of her dad in that moment, who encourages Ciri to lash out a bit in a safe environment and let off some steam.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Y'all missing the point, it's not that her breaking his poo poo is inherently good, it's that ciri has rarely had chances to purely act in her own volition, there it right to back her up that time and support her decision. It's about building her confidence in herself.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I smashed that poo poo up with my video game daughter because it seemed like a fun thing to do with my video game daughter, not because I considered whether or not it was an appropriate emotional response or was aware of it having some effect on the game's ending.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm having fun with Prey, but I'm already looking forward to my 2nd play-through of Witcher 3 lol.

What armor should I use to look cool next time instead of Wolf? :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

use cat, and then once you get grandmaster you should quit playing in disgust

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How do I get Wolf Armor going if the initial quest in Kaer Morhen is broken for me?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How do I get Wolf Armor going if the initial quest in Kaer Morhen is broken for me?

Broken how so? If you're on a console, there's a bug where you're unable to open a chest or two to get the schematics. I'm not aware of any other bugs.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

sean10mm posted:

What armor should I use to look cool next time instead of Wolf? :v:

I started another run yesterday, planning to go Temerian -> Nilfgaardian -> Viper -> Manticore. Trying something different than just school gears this time.

Can use Griffin school techniques for that sweet stamina regen and sign intensity for 1 point after ditching Temerian armor. Planning to pick up heavy attack nodes (dmg and crit) and then going hard on alchemy. Going to find out what happens when you pick up all the crit nodes :getin:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wait was I supposed to do Hearts of Stone first or Blood and Wine

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Wait was I supposed to do Hearts of Stone first or Blood and Wine

Doesn't matter too much but B&W assumes you've finished the base game and HoS so some of the dialogue will seem weird if you don't do it last.

e: there's also a reference in the Spotted Wight quest which makes more sense if you finish HoS first.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 25, 2017

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I know when I'm upset either at home or work I just start breaking things. Mine or others.

I've never regretted it to this day. Not once. It's totally healthy.

Can't wait to start my new game +

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Another shop inventory with quest items from the last game in it, WHAT THE HELL?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Broken how so? If you're on a console, there's a bug where you're unable to open a chest or two to get the schematics. I'm not aware of any other bugs.
The bug you are referencing. I am on PC, though, but I cannot reach a quest item to continue the quest and I found a note on the ground with some bs about "to err is human and we are sorry".

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You didn't pick it up?

:doh:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

What's the up/down on Cat vs Bear?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tulip posted:

What's the up/down on Cat vs Bear?

Cat is light armor focused on +attack damage and the swords have Bleed which is good. Unfortunately the top tiers have a dumb hood you might want to mod out.

Bear is heavy armor focused on adrenaline gain.

Pick whichever looks better to you or better suits your playstyle. The early tiers of Witcher gear are cheap to craft so make one of each and see what you like best. It's only the top two tiers that get expensive.

edit: I forget the name but there's a generic ability that lets you spend Adrenaline points to cast signs. This is really good in general imo but particularly with Bear. Though you'll generate lots of Adrenaline with Cat too.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

It's probably still there.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Wait what happens if (ending)Ciri becomes empress and Nilfgaard loses the war?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The bug you are referencing. I am on PC, though, but I cannot reach a quest item to continue the quest and I found a note on the ground with some bs about "to err is human and we are sorry".

Weird, that was patched on PC. You're fully updated? Did you start your save game on an earlier patch? You might have to console it in.

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not possible.

edit: I think here are your three ending options

Ciri is dead if you're a bad dad regardless of other outcomes.
Ciri becomes Empress if you take her to meet Emhyr and Nilfgaard wins the war. Nilfgaard only wins if you kill Radovid and side with Roche and friends. I think for Nilfgaard to lose you have to either let Radovid live or side with Dijkstra. Dijkstra or Radovid in charge of the North beats back Nilfgaard.
If neither of the above, Ciri becomes a witcheress.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 26, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Hobo Clown posted:

She doesn't become Empress if Nilfgaard loses the war, Emhyr is assassinated by merchants and courtiers before he can name her his successor and abdicate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so here is a question. i am cool with killing radovid, he is mad and a piece of poo poo and will only bring ruin, but should i side with Roche and let Nilfgaard win with termeria as a independent Provence or should i let Dijkstra take over. both are better the radovid and i like roche but Dijkstra seems like a competent leader albit a dickhead and ruthless, but so is nilfgaard and they do tons of awful poo poo for small infractions.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Just finished B&W at level 53. What a ride. This game is head and shoulders above anything I have played in a very, very long time, if not ever.

B&W ending spoilers: Guess I really made the wrong call by going to meet the Unseen Elder instead of talking to Syanna! I really enjoyed the ending and was not expecting that at all. I'm bummed I didn't get to go to fantasy rainbow Toussaint though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Just finished B&W at level 53. What a ride. This game is head and shoulders above anything I have played in a very, very long time, if not ever.

B&W ending spoilers: Guess I really made the wrong call by going to meet the Unseen Elder instead of talking to Syanna! I really enjoyed the ending and was not expecting that at all. I'm bummed I didn't get to go to fantasy rainbow Toussaint though.

it is definitely worth it to reload a save and do the alternate ending path

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Weird, that was patched on PC. You're fully updated? Did you start your save game on an earlier patch? You might have to console it in.
I am fully updated. My save is from before the Wolf stuff was patched into the game. My save is the first one I started back right when the game first came out; I beat the game a month or two after it came out and I just recently could afford the DLC and time to play them.

I dont think its going to matter though because I am really hating the combat now. I just got to some fight in HoS where I am in an underground cave and I have to fight a bunch of Flaming Rose assholes.. The controls are just so unresponsive, I hate wrestling with the AI to use the right bomb or sign, and these guys that are 6 levels below me take out 1/3 to 1/2 of my health with one of their swings, meanwhile I am roleplaying as someone who is apparently one of the most badass swordsmen that has walked the planet; while hopped up on potions it still takes 10+ swings to kill one dude. The guys swinging at me have these huge animations and their swing "hits" me if it comes anywhere near me (like, I see it clearly miss on the screen, but their follow through is a foot from my arm, BAM, half my health gone), and I die. I have it on the second lowest difficulty and I'm not even mad, I'm just annoyed. My actions are just so slow - the lead up to throw a bomb gets me killed/shot; Signs are all useless because I am half swords half alchemy. I am wearing the tier 3 cat armor and my sword skills are all Fast attack focused, but I'm just making GBS threads the bed in every fight.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 26, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

My save is from before the Wolf stuff was patched into the game. My save is the first one I started back right when the game first came out; I beat the game a month or two after it came out and I just recently could afford the DLC and time to play them.

Yeah unfortunately I think that's the problem. The bugfix isn't retroactive, so an existing save before the patch will still have the bug, you'd need to restart from scratch and obviously you don't wanna do that.

Re: combat, honestly just drop the difficulty a notch. There is some really cool poo poo in the expansions, the combat isn't the best part of the game by far. Do you have the alternate movement mode on? That might help with responsiveness.

edit: do you have Whirl? And definitely keep using Signs, you don't need to spec into them for them to be useful. They're for utility, not damage (other than Igni burn).

Do you have the blade oil abilities for poison and reduced damage from enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Lol At people applying their normal life morals to the life of a universe traveling hyper mage in a world filled with extra dimensional monsters.

"throwing things off a table is wrong, always" -a 33 year old computer janitor in a first world country

It's better than trying to transfer the morals of this absurd fantasy video game to real life child-rearing.