Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Whoah, d you have a link on that "Trump winning EVERY close State in 2016 by incredibly small margins" because that suspicious as all hell.

EDIT: Okay, I've found this article, Rigged election: Donald Trump won every surprise swing state by the same 1% margin

That's some pretty frightening stuff, so why hasn't it been shouted from the rafters?

Because this quote

quote:

Ask any statistician and they’ll tell you that a reasonable distribution of the results would have been Trump winning one of the states by one percent, won one of them by perhaps three percent, won one of them by two percent, lost one of them by one percent, or something along those lines. But instead the voting tallies looked startlingly different from any natural distribution. In fact they looked startlingly the same.
is not true, and in some circumstances the exact opposite is true. An expected reasonable distribution really depends upon what type of distribution it is, and the results are not necessarily independent of one another. Oh, and Trump did not win every surprising swing state by approximately the same margin. He won Florida by 1.18%, Pennsylvania by .71%, Wisconsin by .77% and Michigan by .22%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

He was born in the 70s, so a genXer. It sucks being the middle generation, so all he's got left is being useless and complaining about millenials not just taking it up the rear end from baby boomers like they did, and liking it too. :argh:

Please don't let one idiot troll push the idea that everyone from his generation shares his stupidity. I don't know anyone from Gen X (mid to late '60s births) who talks poo poo about millennials. If anything we identify with many of the problems they've faced.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Simplex posted:

Because this quote

is not true, and in some circumstances the exact opposite is true. An expected reasonable distribution really depends upon what type of distribution it is, and the results are not necessarily independent of one another. Oh, and Trump did not win every surprising swing state by approximately the same margin. He won Florida by 1.18%, Pennsylvania by .71%, Wisconsin by .77% and Michigan by .22%.

Facts are useless. Trump won every one of those states by exactly one percent, and the GOP also won the recent two elections by one percent. Furthermore,

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah, Bill Gates owns. Saying the rich should pay more taxes to help the poor, and saying that the Kochs are cancer, isn't the same as "hating the rich." It's dumb to hate the rich.

The Bill and Melinda gates foundation has massively funded the complete eradication of polio in India, hard at work in other countries. You can hate on the operating system, but here's a couple rich people who won't be shitballs when they're alive, and then think that building a university and a couple of musems will clear the board...

MISTER CARNEGIE...

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 25, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

OctaMurk posted:

Facts are useless. Trump won every one of those states by exactly one percent, and the GOP also won the recent two elections by one percent. Furthermore,

Also even if every state was won by the same percentage what does that mean? It's not like the states all have the same population, 1% for Florida is a much larger number of votes than 1% of Wisconsin.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

KickerOfMice posted:

The Bill and Melinda gates foundation has massively funded the complete eradication of polio in India, hard at work in other countries. You can hate on the operating system, but here's a couple rich people who won't be shitballs when they're alive, and then think that building a university and a couple of musems will clear the board...

MISTER CARNEGIE...

Carnegie figured out that real life morality works like a video game, and you can mistreat your workers and abuse the poor all you want as long as you earn enough morality points to get the Good End.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Quorum posted:

Carnegie figured out that real life morality works like a video game, and you can mistreat your workers and abuse the poor all you want as long as you earn enough morality points to get the Good End.

Appropriately enough, rich people see morality as something that can be balanced like a bank account. Just deposit more good deeds and eventually you will get back on the moral side.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Potential BFF posted:

A war with Iran would be such a profound clusterfuck that a sick little piece of my mind is intrigued at the prospect. The first antiship missile slamming into an oil tanker and the subsequent $10/gal gas would be a hell of a thing to behold.

Just to be clear: HOLY gently caress DON'T GO TO WAR WITH IRAN

Well, if you want to see new ground broken in low approval ratings, $10/gallon for gas would do it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm still kind of surprised at how little of a poo poo the world seems to be giving about the sauds basically going "remove this media company we don't like and become our vassal state or else" to Qatar

I mean i know its normal for the world to roll over for the sauds but that seems a little extreme

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Three weeks ago, I would have said that flipping voting machines by the Russian was the equivalent of birtherism, a conspiracy theory that people want to be true.

But now we know that the Russians managed to do things not too far off, they managed to access voter information and attempt to alter it.

So the election results being changed is now something that, while I don't think it is probable, is possible. It is something that can be reasonably extrapolated from the information we do have.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Their progress certainly demands a response to make sure next time they aren't able to actually alter the votes. Which is why I support the DNC float the idea of running some obvious Putin crony in 2020, then the GOP will actually give a poo poo.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The DNC should just ask Russia to hack the 2018 midterms. After all, it's not a crime!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
"Russia please hack the RNC"

"To pieces"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
You guys really thought that if collusion was discovered it would change the actions of the Republicans in congress? lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gorilla Salad posted:

Whoah, d you have a link on that "Trump winning EVERY close State in 2016 by incredibly small margins" because that suspicious as all hell.

EDIT: Okay, I've found this article, Rigged election: Donald Trump won every surprise swing state by the same 1% margin

That's some pretty frightening stuff, so why hasn't it been shouted from the rafters?
Even before the election Nate Silver explained this: These aren't independent events, and historically swing states tend to all go one way or all go the other. Remember, he didn't get every "Swing state" this election, as he lost New Hampshire.

EDIT: Take 2008, for example. Is it suspicious that New York, California, and Illinois are all within one percentage point of each other? Or howabout Florida, Ohio, and Virginia? It's not really all that surprising.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 25, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dick Trauma posted:

Please don't let one idiot troll push the idea that everyone from his generation shares his stupidity. I don't know anyone from Gen X (mid to late '60s births) who talks poo poo about millennials. If anything we identify with many of the problems they've faced.

You haven't been reading right-wing Gen X forums then, like the old Dan Carlin/now Martin Hash one, then.

They loving despise "entitled spoiled millennials" just as much as their "Boomer parents", and are salivating at the idea that Post-Millennials may end up becoming Radical Traditionalists.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

business hammocks posted:

Appropriately enough, rich people see morality as something that can be balanced like a bank account. Just deposit more good deeds and eventually you will get back on the moral side.

Funny you mention this, I was having a debate on healthcare with a republican making $220k+ a year and it basically came down to how many thousands of additional preventable deaths he was okay with for cuts and when he would care about them.

quote:

I value a life based on the contribution a person makes to society

quote:

We're trying to identify where these 2000 people are coming from and evaluate their contributions to society

quote:

I'd calculate it as assets - liabilities. The sum value of what you put out (value produce through your work, value you produce through "cultural productions" such as art or music, value produced in social groups (higher value assigned to leadership roles), etc). Then subtract what you take away from society (crimes, draw on public resources, environmental damage, etc)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Funny you mention this, I was having a debate on healthcare with a republican making $220k+ a year and it basically came down to how many thousands of additional preventable deaths he was okay with for cuts and when he would care about them.

Tell him you hope he has a mentally disabled child and a government agent chooses a random age to show up and shoot him in the head

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Did you point out that by those metrics (especially crimes, environmental damage and contribution to society), most people in the upper tax brackets are actively worthless?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's kinda funny how often I've asked doctors "how much will this cost?" and gotten only a confused stare back.

There is pretty much no way to have any idea how much it will cost. If supplied a list by the hospital one may refer to what will be billed, but the actual payout is dependent first on confidential contracts with various insurance companies and then on the actual stipulations of the patient's policy. It's the worst setup ever for anyone except the insurance companies, which I know will come as a huge shock.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Simplex posted:

Because this quote

Right, statisticians assuming that all events are independent are exactly the sort of statisticians that must have been consulting in finance industry during the lead up to 2008 crisis.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

Human minds that operate within this set of rules utterly loving mystify me.

quote:

I'd calculate it as assets - liabilities. The sum value of what you put out (value produce through your work, value you produce through "cultural productions" such as art or music, value produced in social groups (higher value assigned to leadership roles), etc). Then subtract what you take away from society (crimes, draw on public resources, environmental damage, etc)

This is how I imagine Patrick Bateman would think. That must just really be a terrible world to live in.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Google Butt posted:

Conservatives are psychopaths.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

Three weeks ago, I would have said that flipping voting machines by the Russian was the equivalent of birtherism, a conspiracy theory that people want to be true.

But now we know that the Russians managed to do things not too far off, they managed to access voter information and attempt to alter it.

So the election results being changed is now something that, while I don't think it is probable, is possible. It is something that can be reasonably extrapolated from the information we do have.

I think this is something that people really need to temper their expectations on. Russia potentially tampering with election results is something that would rile a lot of people up and you could see a good deal of consensus across party lines that this is a bad thing. On the other hand, historically people tend not to give much of a gently caress about domestic tampering with election results as long as it benefits their party. So even if an investigation turns up evidence of vote tampering, how do you go about tying that tampering to the Kremlin, and not to a Republican election official in Georgia? Because one people may care about, the other they won't

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Conservatives are psychopaths.

Absolutely. It was neat watching him deflect "You are in support of thousands of additional preventable deaths for a tax cut" over and over, though.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
the palmer report has slightly less credibility than I, a tenured poster on the something awful forums, do

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

You too can get an MBA and be the judge of life value.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Google Butt posted:

Absolutely. It was neat watching him deflect "You are in support of thousands of additional preventable deaths for a tax cut" over and over, though.

The world would be a better place without him.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Google Butt posted:

This guy's responses sound like he was born in the wrong time period. He's much more fit to be a plantation owner. Just insert the word 'negro' into his responses and they fit perfectly.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Google Butt posted:

Usually they just deny there are going to be any deaths.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

awesmoe posted:

the palmer report has slightly less credibility than I, a tenured poster on the something awful forums, do

Isn't the Palmer Report as credible as Louise Mensch?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/879025024417619968
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/879034571874082818
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/879027147607879686
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/879031617540567040
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/879013221692317696
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/879018680344031233
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/879014344964677634
https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/879018773927182336
https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/878796445079535617
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/879066744832372737
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/879064645595795456
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/879065730695786497
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/879065416102031364
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/879059069943861248
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/879040028764237827
:siren: https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/879054332964073472 :siren:
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/879052343546978304
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/879037270854172672
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/879034439644454914

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Forgall posted:

Usually they just deny there are going to be any deaths.

Ah!

quote:

And if you do support the left, you support x deaths from poverty because of the poorly-conceived economic policies. And poverty is the #1 risk factor for death.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Google Butt posted:

Excellent, ask him if he is okay with just killing himself if he gets cancer or loses his arms in an accident or becomes paralyzed from a spinal injury so that he is not a drain on society

please do this and report back, thank you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Google Butt posted:

Your friend is a social darwinist nazi.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I used to think all dogs were good dogs. Not anymore.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Google Butt posted:

This is why it's hypocritical when the Republicans started talking about death panels when healthcare reformists bring up rationing of care. We already ration based on inequality but if you believe that if you can't afford coverage you don't deserve it then it suddenly becomes OK. This is especially hosed up and doesn't make sense when you start talking about this whole lifetime cap bullshit. But again, good luck getting through to people who have this mindset.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is one of my favorite tweets in a while

https://twitter.com/GenXtremist/status/878799576425259008

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

This is why it's hypocritical when the Republicans started talking about death panels when healthcare reformists bring up rationing of care. We already ration based on inequality but if you believe that if you can't afford coverage you don't deserve it then it suddenly becomes OK. This is especially hosed up and doesn't make sense when you start talking about this whole lifetime cap bullshit. But again, good luck getting through to people who have this mindset.

He basically said that I don't understand the economics of it, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Google Butt posted:

He basically said that I don't understand the economics of it, lol.
Ask him to explain it in detail so you can understand, then

• Locked thread