Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Harlock posted:

Very few people likely play sub optimal teams because they like a character so I mean it's kind of true.

Very few competitive players maybe, but this certainly isn't true for the vast majority of people who are going to buy MvCI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

DLC Inc posted:

I mean if you're just going to focus on mechanics as identity then why even bother with the Marvel license, might as well may everyone look like they came from Rising Thunder

make shounen jump vs capcom and just make the animes play like marvel characters with a twist

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Already got Wolverine and Cyclops covered

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fadam posted:

Very few competitive players maybe, but this certainly isn't true for the vast majority of people who are going to buy MvCI.
and also there are few people who run sub optimal teams out of love for a character but there are people who run one of the specific optimal teams because they like the character(s) in it more, compared to the other top tier teams.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Look at this quote from the interview.

quote:

Then the third one is obviously the popularity of these characters. X was one we had to get in there. A lot of fans wanted to see X, so we brought him back. Then also we talked with Marvel very closely about their future roadmap, about what's gonna be happening. Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters, but they know some of the Guardians characters or Black Panther. You know what I mean? Captain Marvel may seem like a strange pick, but she's fantastic. She fits the gameplay. She fits the story, and they're gonna be really pushing her as a strong female lead all the way up into the movie. We're trying to take everything into account and choose the best characters.

"Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters"

Yeah that is utter bull, they were straight up told they could not use them.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
yeah your modern marvel fan, like, do you think they even know who wolverine is

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

"Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters"

Exactly. I have never heard of Wolverine or Deadpool for instance.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

The last time media ever talked about X-Men or maybe a movie about X-Men has got to be 1865 or something.

Now, give me Abraham Lincoln playable, I am very familiar with him. Or maybe a playable Emoji, I am familiar with those in TYOOL 2017.

Capcom lol forever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would be ok with it if they just said they were not allowed, rather then trying to justify it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Logan was the best Marvel movie this year so lmao

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i hope the nerdrage never stops flowing with this game :allears:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Race Realists posted:

i hope the nerdrage never stops flowing with this game :allears:

have you seen anyone actually mad about this game? mostly people just seem disappointed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would be ok with it if they just said they were not allowed, rather then trying to justify it.
it's probably just the line that marvel fed them to say, considering how butthurt marvel is about not getting to put wolverine in civil war or whatever.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/lowtierRyan/status/878382477995155456

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
marvel does not exist, x-men do not exist, capcom completely made up the marvel name to make it look like this was the most epic crossover game of all time, but in fact it was a clever ruse to get us used to a particular set of fighting game mechanics.

we all fell for it, we just didn't get the memo until now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

marvel does not exist, x-men do not exist, capcom completely made up the marvel name to make it look like this was the most epic crossover game of all time, but in fact it was a clever ruse to get us used to a particular set of fighting game mechanics.

we all fell for it, we just didn't get the memo until now.
Ah, the Rise of the Imperfects method.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Zand posted:

have you seen anyone actually mad about this game? mostly people just seem disappointed

...are you loving kidding me?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 24, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm not mad about this game, I'm just really sad. But I'm glad that dragon ball z fighter came in screaming to fill the void

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I didn't even play MvC 3, and I'm still disappointed. MvC without the X-men is a joke.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah. I mean, they're still making X-Men movies so it's not like they've slipped off the radar over the past decade.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah. I mean, they're still making X-Men movies so it's not like they've slipped off the radar over the past decade.

logan came out this year

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

logan is the 6th highest grossing movie of the year so far, worldwide

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Tried reading this thread, gave up. Game looks real bad, need DBZ in my life. That is all.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Endorph posted:

logan is the 6th highest grossing movie of the year so far, worldwide

There is a reason though and that logan was a pretty goddamn good movie, especially if you have followed hugh jackman's work from 1999 to today

infinite is not a good movie, felt the need to point this out

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

KungFu Grip posted:

Logan was the best Marvel movie this year so lmao

but was it part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the marvel cinematic universe can lick my n*ts. i cant loving believe how lovely hawkeye's design looks. not even his model, obviously that sucks since everyone's does, but even a well made model of MCU hawkeye sucks compared to the cool old mvc3 style

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
So hype for this at EVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRHi9oyMXqE

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lmao I don't even know why they have to lie about the xmen characters not being in the game when we all know the true reason. I really want to see the contract between capcom and marvel now lol.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"we graciously accept your lovely animes to appear alongside the Amazing characters of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as long as you don't mention the muties, capiche"

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

without looking, what hilarious dbfz video is this? :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Lmao I don't even know why they have to lie about the xmen characters not being in the game when we all know the true reason. I really want to see the contract between capcom and marvel now lol.

We don't all know the true reason. Rosas is speaking to the casuals, and saying, "Hey, I know you probably played a lot of the X-Men characters, but we made sure that other characters would fit their various niches, so you should find somebody else you like to play." I assume this is why Iron Man has a rekka now, for example; he's meant to be the "new Magneto."

This is all marketing-speak. Yeah, if you know fighting-games and you're active in the FGC, even just as a stream monster, you can see it as the focus-group bullshit it is, but they aren't talking to you. They're talking to the millions of casual fans who will make up the bulk of this game's sales, whether or not it succeeds, and they're willing to put up with the mockery from the hardcore scene in order to help sell the game to its primary audience.

Never assume something's malicious when it could just be stupid, and in video games, never assume something's stupid when it could just be marketing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ah, yes, casuals, know for their indepth knowledge and devotion towards certain movesets, instead of playing whoever their favorites are

seriously that might be the dumbest post ive ever seen. your average casual doesn't even know what a rekka is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait, backup. did magneto even have a rekka?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

average casual love the tri-jump mechanics of magneto

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wanderer posted:

We don't all know the true reason. Rosas is speaking to the casuals, and saying, "Hey, I know you probably played a lot of the X-Men characters, but we made sure that other characters would fit their various niches, so you should find somebody else you like to play." I assume this is why Iron Man has a rekka now, for example; he's meant to be the "new Magneto."

This is all marketing-speak. Yeah, if you know fighting-games and you're active in the FGC, even just as a stream monster, you can see it as the focus-group bullshit it is, but they aren't talking to you. They're talking to the millions of casual fans who will make up the bulk of this game's sales, whether or not it succeeds, and they're willing to put up with the mockery from the hardcore scene in order to help sell the game to its primary audience.

Never assume something's malicious when it could just be stupid, and in video games, never assume something's stupid when it could just be marketing.

Yes we do, marvel just wants to promote the characters from the film franchise they own the rights for, they don't own the X-men film license. This game is essentially just an AD for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Its not malicious, its just marketing but they shouldn't treat their audience like they have no idea what is actually going on.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

ah, yes, casuals, know for their indepth knowledge and devotion towards certain movesets, instead of playing whoever their favorites are

seriously that might be the dumbest post ive ever seen. your average casual doesn't even know what a rekka is

Dunning-Kruger rears its ugly head again. Nice going, champ.

It's really not that hard to understand what Rosas was going for, although his phrasing was awful. If you picked a character in UMVC3 for a particular style of play that they represented, he's saying they tried to represent that style in the reshuffled cast, which is why Iron Man rushes poo poo down now, Cap has Taskmaster's counter, Rocket can summon Groot to cover about as much ground as Sentinel could, etc.

Players may have preexisting character loyalty, but if they stick with a game for a while, even if it's just for couch play or dorm match-ups or whatever, they'll pick up other characters who might play better, especially when it's a team-based game. There are a lot of casual players who couldn't give a poo poo about Magneto or Doom as characters, but they still find their way onto a lot of players' teams because they're easy to use and effective. Conversely, there's a good half of the cast where there's no reason to use them besides character loyalty (why pick Iron Man when Doom exists, unless you just happen to like Iron Man?), and a lot of those guys came back for the sequel, so the developers are trying to thread that needle.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yes we do, marvel just wants to promote the characters from the film franchise they own the rights for, they don't own the X-men film license. This game is essentially just an AD for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Its not malicious, its just marketing but they shouldn't treat their audience like they have no idea what is actually going on.

90% of their audience doesn't know what's going on. 90% of their audience are casual players who will pick this up on week one from the Wal-Mart electronics aisle because it says "Marvel" on the cover.

If you are into the hobby to such an extent that you discuss the hobby on online message boards, you are part of a hardcore 10% and are in no way reflective of the vast majority of the gaming audience. That's something a lot of enthusiasts don't realize, but once you know that, a lot of what developers and publishers do makes a lot more sense.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Dunning-Kruger rears its ugly head again. Nice going, champ.

It's really not that hard to understand what Rosas was going for, although his phrasing was awful. If you picked a character in UMVC3 for a particular style of play that they represented, he's saying they tried to represent that style in the reshuffled cast, which is why Iron Man rushes poo poo down now, Cap has Taskmaster's counter, Rocket can summon Groot to cover about as much ground as Sentinel could, etc.

Players may have preexisting character loyalty, but if they stick with a game for a while, even if it's just for couch play or dorm match-ups or whatever, they'll pick up other characters who might play better, especially when it's a team-based game. There are a lot of casual players who couldn't give a poo poo about Magneto or Doom as characters, but they still find their way onto a lot of players' teams because they're easy to use and effective. Conversely, there's a good half of the cast where there's no reason to use them besides character loyalty (why pick Iron Man when Doom exists, unless you just happen to like Iron Man?), and a lot of those guys came back for the sequel, so the developers are trying to thread that needle.
i keep reading this post and i just keep hearing the 'duuhhhhhh' noise the goons in final fight make.

i dont think you understand who the 'casual' marvel players are.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

I saw dunning-kruger in the first sentence and then the rest of the post became white noise to me

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I know a couple friends that played MvC casually and they are definitely not picking this up specifically because its missing Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

i dont think you understand who the 'casual' marvel players are.

I guarantee you don't. The entire objection here is rooted in an assumption: that a theoretical casual player of Marvel will stick with a character even when he or she kinda stinks, because they're buying the game specifically to play as that character, and that nobody ever branches out to the rest of the cast. That'd be a stupid assumption to make in a 1v1 game, let alone a team game.

The fact that Rosas even thought this was worth talking about at all suggests that he knows such is not the case. He's the community manager; he's the guy with the data. I guarantee you that for whatever mistakes he's made, he knows more about how his audience is playing the game than you do. That's half the reason why achievements/trophies exist, after all; it's a treasure trove of voluntarily-submitted gameplay data.

• Locked thread