Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Does it play in VLC or a video editor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

lohli posted:

Does it play in VLC or a video editor?

Nope! I also tried converting it with VLC, which it started to do, but then it quit when the file was like 200kb large or something tiny. I think what bothers me more is that I don't even know why it happened, or how to prevent it from happening in the future besides "don't use Shadowplay".

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Give this a try

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Video-Repair-Tool

The demo version will only do the first half of a video but you can double up the video with the copy command in the windows command prompt to get around that which apparently works just fine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I have a recording I'm making on my *brand spankin' new* blue yeti, and it sounds good. I'm recording at very low gain, to try and avoid background sound.

However, after doing some processing in Audacity (Noise removal//normalization), i'm far louder as I'd like to be, but it re-introduces a noticable background sound. Not sure if it's room noise or what.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: http://puu.sh/wtjIG/b5baed8c42.wav

Test file, noise reduction and normalization applied.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 24, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You always want to record as loud as you can get away with without clipping. Recording at any lower gain that the highest you can without clipping with means you're wasting valuable dynamic range.

Remember there are three ways to get rid of unwanted background sounds in recordings:
1) Stop the sounds from being made in the first place (i.e. tell your family to shut up, close the window to the busy street, fix the noisy fan in your computer)
2) Move your sound source closer to the microphone and/or the noise sources further away (improve signal/noise ratio)
3) Improve room acoustics so the unwanted sounds don't get unnecessarily amplified

On the other hand, if the noise you're talking about is actually electrical buzzing (sounds like it), the problem is that you bought a Blue Yeti. It's not a very good microphone. Sure, it's better than a common headset microphone, or common electret desk microphone, but compared to actual professional recording equipment it's a joke.

Oh, and Audacity's noise reduction filter, while it can remove constant background noise like buzzing fans, car noise from a street, or electrical noise, it will tend to make the actual signal also sound quite "tinny", so try to avoid needing it.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 24, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

nielsm posted:

you bought a Blue Yeti. It's not a very good microphone.

:(

You're the first one to say anything unkind about it. I could always return it and get something else, but I had heard it was serviceable.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 24, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Deviant posted:

:(

You're the first one to say anything unkind about it. I could always return it and get something else, but I had heard it was servicable.

I won't tell you to spend $900 on almost-pro equipment like this guy, but getting an XLR-attached microphone and a separate USB audio interface will give you more flexibility now and in the future. The main advantage I would say is that you can upgrade the individual components. A $100 condenser microphone, $80 USB audio interface, $10 XLR cable, $10 pop filter, and probably some kind of gooseneck or boom arm to hold the microphone, will most likely give you better results. You can later upgrade with a preamp in between, better audio interface, etc.

Things you can try before returning the mic:
Move yourself closer to it, so you provide more signal power and you don't need to amplify the signal as much. Note that if you're close you will definitely need a pop filter to take harsh blowing sounds. The electrical noise is usually a constant "noise floor", so if you raise the signal further above that noise floor you hear the noise less.
Hook it up through a powered USB hub, so the microphone receives power not from your computer but from a "more dedicated" power supply.
See if you can find a better USB cable, one with a ferrite core attached. I've certainly had USB audio devices where that affected electrical noise levels.

E: Myself, I have an SE Electronics X1 microphone (XLR version) hooked up through a Behringer UMC204HD audio interface, it gives decent results for the price. (But my room acoustics are terrible.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 24, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I use Vegas for video editing, and the files my HDPVR outputs (.ts and .m2ts) cannot be read. It does support those file types, but I guess it doesn't support the codecs used during capture.

When I try to make the files into something that will work (Trying .mp4) I'm not getting good results. I tried the guide about extracting data streams with MeGUI and muxing them into an MP4, but the result was blurry and the video was choppy and delayed. I tried Handbrake, and the video was still blurry.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 25, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Jamesman posted:

I use Vegas for video editing, and the files my HDPVR outputs (.ts and .m2ts) cannot be read. It does support those file types, but I guess it doesn't support the codecs used during capture.

When I try to make the files into something that will work (Trying .mp4) I'm not getting good results. I tried the guide about extracting data streams with MeGUI and muxing them into an MP4, but the result was blurry and the video was choppy and delayed. I tried Handbrake, and the video was still blurry.

I recently switched from my old .m2ts standby to capturing directly to MP4, since recent versions of MeGUI have removed the indexer that I used to use (DGIndex), and I found the other ones to be less satisfactory. At the end, I had to do some manipulation to get the video out of my final M2TS - I don't remember exactly what I did, though. Most likely, FFIndexer and then FFsourced into Avisynth. Even at that, I think the videos were choppy and didn't support seeking, but it was the best I was able to get. If you have the option to capture as MP4, I recommend giving it a try.

EDIT: Looking at the scripts I have, it appears that I used the HD Streams Extractor to get the h264 and aac files out of the container, then FFsourced those. The results were much better.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 25, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone played around with converting their video or archive to x265? I tried it with FFMPEG but end up with videos that are larger than the original when I convert losslessly.

ffmpeg -i in.mkv libx265 -preset medium -crf 0 -c:a copy out.mkv

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ufarn posted:

Anyone played around with converting their video or archive to x265? I tried it with FFMPEG but end up with videos that are larger than the original when I convert losslessly.

ffmpeg -i in.mkv libx265 -preset medium -crf 0 -c:a copy out.mkv

Unless your original video is already in a lossless encoding, converting to a lossless encoding isn't going to do you any good. Lossily compressed H.264 video is going to take up less space than losslessly compressed H.265 video in any realistic comparison*.

It's worth keeping in mind that lossless encoding of data is only lossless compared to the immediate input, so if you take a lossily encoded input and feeds into a lossless compressor, quality isn't going to increase, the encoder can't pull the missing data out of thin air. You just get a perfect representation of all the encoding errors present in the input, preserved in a much higher bandwidth encoding. Same way transferring a well worn VHS tape to a Blu-ray won't make it look any better.

The place where lossless encoding is useful, is when you can use it for the original recording. E.g. OBS should let you use x264 for video encoder and set CRF=0 giving you a lossless H.264 capture. If you make a recording like that and then transcode it to lossless H.265, you may end up with a smaller file. But you have to stay in lossless formats from end to end for it to be worth its while.

*) Someone may be able to construct pathological cases where the lossless H.265 encoding wins, but not any real-world footage.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, I'm not doing it to optimize quality; I just saw it can reduce storage space would be fun to explore.

My OBS settings are 4,500 kbps, "Quality" with 160kbps audio. I just picked lossless figuring that would be the easiest way to preserve the quality as-is rather than potentially reducing the quality by more.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ufarn posted:

Yeah, I'm not doing it to optimize quality; I just saw it can reduce storage space would be fun to explore.

My OBS settings are 4,500 kbps, "Quality" with 160kbps audio. I just picked lossless figuring that would be the easiest way to preserve the quality as-is rather than potentially reducing the quality by more.

Compared to uncompressed lossless, or simple lossless formats like HuffYUV or Lagarith, H.264 and H.265 lossless modes give amazing compression rates, but they still don't compare to the regular lossy mode of either codec. It's probably been in the context of a comparison with other lossless encodings you've read about it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I recently switched from my old .m2ts standby to capturing directly to MP4, since recent versions of MeGUI have removed the indexer that I used to use (DGIndex), and I found the other ones to be less satisfactory. At the end, I had to do some manipulation to get the video out of my final M2TS - I don't remember exactly what I did, though. Most likely, FFIndexer and then FFsourced into Avisynth. Even at that, I think the videos were choppy and didn't support seeking, but it was the best I was able to get. If you have the option to capture as MP4, I recommend giving it a try.

EDIT: Looking at the scripts I have, it appears that I used the HD Streams Extractor to get the h264 and aac files out of the container, then FFsourced those. The results were much better.

Hauppage capture program apparently has an option to capture in MP4, but the HDPVR I have doesn't actually support it. Is there a different program I can use to capture lossless video into MP4, or even AVI or WMV?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Hauppage capture program apparently has an option to capture in MP4, but the HDPVR I have doesn't actually support it. Is there a different program I can use to capture lossless video into MP4, or even AVI or WMV?

Have you tried using OBS to capture your footage instead of the program that comes with the Hauppauge? That can record in MP4.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Touchfuzzy posted:

Have you tried using OBS to capture your footage instead of the program that comes with the Hauppauge? That can record in MP4.

I'll try that or XSplit. Thanks.

Edit: Got OBS set up and it appears to be working for me, meaning it's outputting .mp4 files that Vegas can work with. Barring any issues that arise once I have full-length videos to work with, this seems to have solved my problem.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 26, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Can anyone tell me why the hell Audacity refuses to enable Chris's Dynamic Compressor? It shows up as New in the plugin manager, and changes to enable when I press the button to do so, but then I hit OK and the manager closes and the effect does not appear in the menu. Then I open the plugin manager again and there it is marked as New again. It's getting on my nerves because the default Audacity compressor can't seem to boost my commentary without taking the background static from completely inaudible to omnipresent and aggravating.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Could you not just denoise after running the compressor?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

lohli posted:

Could you not just denoise after running the compressor?

The base level of our voices is low enough that running the noise filter totally mangles it.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Is this the most recent version of Audacity, is the plugin thrown into the Plugins folder, and have you ran Audacity as an administrator both when starting it up to enable the plugin, then restarting it to see if it shows up?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Touchfuzzy posted:

Is this the most recent version of Audacity, is the plugin thrown into the Plugins folder, and have you ran Audacity as an administrator both when starting it up to enable the plugin, then restarting it to see if it shows up?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

e: oh goddamnit it was the stupidest goddamn thing. The organizational file structure of the zip is weird so I was using the version for the wrong loving OS I am a goddamn moron.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 27, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't even know if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm having an issue getting video from my N64. Turning a game on and going through the credits or menus doesn't seem to be a problem, but when it starts to play footage using in-game assets (I think?) it will cut in and out at specific intervals.

I've got it connected to S-video through my HDPVR. The cable, connection, and capture device are all verified to be fine. It's something with the console and trying to output this signal into the HDPVR. Do I have something set up wrong, or is my N64 just broken?

Edit: I have NOT yet tried directly connecting the N64 to a TV. Not at option at the moment.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 27, 2017

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Jamesman posted:

I don't even know if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm having an issue getting video from my N64. Turning a game on and going through the credits or menus doesn't seem to be a problem, but when it starts to play footage using in-game assets (I think?) it will cut in and out at specific intervals.

I've got it connected to S-video through my HDPVR. The cable, connection, and capture device are all verified to be fine. It's something with the console and trying to output this signal into the HDPVR. Do I have something set up wrong, or is my N64 just broken?

Edit: I have NOT yet tried directly connecting the N64 to a TV. Not at option at the moment.

What game is it? I know it happens with the PS1, but this could be a case of boot/intro/menu screens being one resolution and the game being another, so when it switches between 480i/240p it starts to freak out. Also, how long is the HDMI out cord from the capture device to the TV?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Touchfuzzy posted:

What game is it? I know it happens with the PS1, but this could be a case of boot/intro/menu screens being one resolution and the game being another, so when it switches between 480i/240p it starts to freak out. Also, how long is the HDMI out cord from the capture device to the TV?

I tried a few different games just to make sure it wasn't just one.

My output is Component, and the cord is something like 15 feet I think? It shouldn't be relevant, because the signal going into the HDPVR is experiencing the video issue. I can see it happening in the recording where the signal cuts in and out. But like I said, I double-checked everything but the N64 itself and know they are completely functional. So either the N64 is broken or there's some setup/setting I'm overlooking.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Jamesman posted:

I tried a few different games just to make sure it wasn't just one.

My output is Component, and the cord is something like 15 feet I think? It shouldn't be relevant, because the signal going into the HDPVR is experiencing the video issue. I can see it happening in the recording where the signal cuts in and out. But like I said, I double-checked everything but the N64 itself and know they are completely functional. So either the N64 is broken or there's some setup/setting I'm overlooking.

It more than likely has to do with the N64 outputting 240p video and the capture device just not liking it. Try reading info from this link and see if this is close to what you're experiencing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I have a dumb question. What's an easy way to convert .webp images to .gif?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I have a dumb question. What's an easy way to convert .webp images to .gif?

IrfanView with a plugin can load webp files, so you can use its batch conversion feature to convert a bunch of files in one go.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Touchfuzzy posted:

It more than likely has to do with the N64 outputting 240p video and the capture device just not liking it. Try reading info from this link and see if this is close to what you're experiencing.

It sort of sounds similar. What I'm experiencing is the signal cutting out after a certain amount of time, is out for about a second, then resumes. Repeat infinitely.

I had recorded N64 footage in the past, but I honestly can't remember if I had the HDPVR at the time of doing it. The only thing left for me to do is try the N64 directly connected to a TV to know for sure if the console is broken, or if there's some connectivity issue with the HDPVR.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK, I've now been able to confirm the N64 is fine, so my problem is definitely with the signal not cooperating with the HDPVR.

I want to record S-video using my N64 and HDPVR, and I'm having trouble finding information on how to do this. I found a couple video games on how to do composite, but they don't appear to also apply for S-video.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 28, 2017

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I'm trying to do an LP with live co-commentary and would like to know some suggestions for screen sharing or whatever else so my co-hosts know what I'm doing. One option I know of is to start a Skype conversation and screen share from that. I am aware that there isn't much lag there but there isn't any audio sent to the other parties and I hear that Skype isn't that reliable. Another option is to use a streaming service such as Twitch, Hitbox, or YouTube streaming. From my previous experience, there is a significant time lag with streaming, though. Are there any other recommendations to accomplish this?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
You can use voicemeeter to get audio to come through on a skype screen share and it's usually been pretty dependable for me.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

ShichiNoBushi posted:

I'm trying to do an LP with live co-commentary and would like to know some suggestions for screen sharing or whatever else so my co-hosts know what I'm doing. One option I know of is to start a Skype conversation and screen share from that. I am aware that there isn't much lag there but there isn't any audio sent to the other parties and I hear that Skype isn't that reliable. Another option is to use a streaming service such as Twitch, Hitbox, or YouTube streaming. From my previous experience, there is a significant time lag with streaming, though. Are there any other recommendations to accomplish this?

I've been using TeamViewer for the screen-sharing and using Voicemeeter Banana to redirect the computer's audio into the Skype/Discord call along with the actual voices. Some sort of virtual audio device, like VMB or VAC, is really the key to getting the audio to accompany the video for your co-commentators.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I've been using TeamViewer for the screen-sharing and using Voicemeeter Banana to redirect the computer's audio into the Skype/Discord call along with the actual voices. Some sort of virtual audio device, like VMB or VAC, is really the key to getting the audio to accompany the video for your co-commentators.

TeamViewer seems good. Thanks.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I haven't done audio mixing in a while, so could someone give this test video for my next LP a listen? It sounds good to me, but having a second/third opinion is always handy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

berryjon posted:

I haven't done audio mixing in a while, so could someone give this test video for my next LP a listen? It sounds good to me, but having a second/third opinion is always handy.
Overall audio is slightly low, but the mixing between game audio and mic seems perfect.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It seems like if I want to record "Legacy" console footage, I need to buy a capture device for SD instead of trying to get an HD capture device to work.

So, what should/can I get? The OP is pretty outdated by the looks of it, as two of the products aren't available anymore. The third one, the USB-Live2, doesn't have an output to TV and doesn't actually seem like an option for recording game footage.

Did the GameBridge ever get any kind of support for post-WinXP?

Edit: I'm being told the Elgato Capture HD with an adapter will do what I want. Can anyone confirm before I drop $150 on this?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 30, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I can confirm it. If you can get one with a component adapter, it works with composite cables if you plug the yellow video cable into the red video input. Otherwise you need to buy another adapter if you want S video.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The question isn't really if it'll do Composite, it is if it'll do the weird nonstandard resolutions (240p and their ilk) that old video games spit out, and if it survives mid-recording resolution changes without the video or audio cutting out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ah, right. Yes, it does 240p and recordings will survive the weird resolution shift some games have, but there won't be any gap in the recording where the resolution switches, so you shouldn't do it for live recording sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Ah, right. Yes, it does 240p and recordings will survive the weird resolution shift some games have, but there won't be any gap in the recording where the resolution switches, so you shouldn't do it for live recording sessions.

I'm not clear on why it can't be used for live recording.