Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

His name was Combofiend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I guarantee you don't. The entire objection here is rooted in an assumption: that a theoretical casual player of Marvel will stick with a character even when he or she kinda stinks, because they're buying the game specifically to play as that character, and that nobody ever branches out to the rest of the cast. That'd be a stupid assumption to make in a 1v1 game, let alone a team game.

The fact that Rosas even thought this was worth talking about at all suggests that he knows such is not the case. He's the community manager; he's the guy with the data. I guarantee you that for whatever mistakes he's made, he knows more about how his audience is playing the game than you do. That's half the reason why achievements/trophies exist, after all; it's a treasure trove of voluntarily-submitted gameplay data.
okay you're right, people don't know who the x-men are, that's why the most recent x-men movie made more money than several of the movies that are represented in this game

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i can hear the pocket protector in this guys posts

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Reiley posted:

His name was Combofiend.

Peter Rosas is his slave name

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the more likely scenario is that people will just stick with Marvel 3. you know, the game that actually has the characters they like rather than other characters that fulfill a similar function

also I can't really trust any assumption of the guy that thinks Magneto has a rekka

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
mvc3 doesn't have *looks at roster* Gamorrah or something

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Race Realists posted:

without looking, what hilarious dbfz video is this? :v:

It's not.

It's funny.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestonJew posted:

the more likely scenario is that people will just stick with Marvel 3. you know, the game that actually has the characters they like rather than other characters that fulfill a similar function

also I can't really trust any assumption of the guy that thinks Magneto has a rekka

Nah, people will play MvC:I because it's the new game. The only way it gets dropped is if Capcom drops its support for the scene or if the meta evolves into something unbearable (and even then it has to be cross jab levels of idiotic).

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Reiley posted:

His name was Combofiend.

He's dropped the combo and now he's just a fiend.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dias posted:

Nah, people will play MvC:I because it's the new game. The only way it gets dropped is if Capcom drops its support for the scene or if the meta evolves into something unbearable (and even then it has to be cross jab levels of idiotic).

I guess you're right, the pro players will stick to it but I'm not sure about the regular folks who make up the bulk of fighting game sales

Also with the gems system I wouldn't be surprised if the meta evolves into some real bs

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CharlestonJew posted:

Iron Man has a stronger rushdown game in this one, including a rekka, because theoretically they're trying to get him to appeal to guys who played Magneto in MVC3. I did not say Magneto had a rekka, or that casuals would know what the gently caress it was. You guys are so recreationally salty over this game that you aren't actually reading posts.

Dias posted:

Yeah, DBFZ is too far out to pose an immediate threat to MVC:I. I'm sure that it'll blow up the world when it comes out, but they were saying at E3 that DBZF is 20% done. I wouldn't be surprised to see it slide to 2019, or ship with a relatively limited roster at first.

Endorph posted:

okay you're right, people don't know who the x-men are, that's why the most recent x-men movie made more money than several of the movies that are represented in this game

Which ones? A casual Google says Logan made $660 million or so, which is well below every MCU movie besides the second Thor.

Besides, still not the point I'm making. Character loyalty's important with licensed games, but it's not the only concern, especially with a team-based fighting game that encourages people to branch out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestonJew posted:

I guess you're right, the pro players will stick to it but I'm not sure about the regular folks who make up the bulk of fighting game sales

Also with the gems system I wouldn't be surprised if the meta evolves into some real bs

Eh, people will still buy MvC:I and there's gonna be more people playing it online than playing the old game or basically anything else, really. It's just what happens with Capcom. Now, I'm not sure if people will KEEP playing it after the first tournament cycle is over, but people don't really go back to older games anymore.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Wanderer posted:

Iron Man has a stronger rushdown game in this one, including a rekka, because theoretically they're trying to get him to appeal to guys who played Magneto in MVC3. I did not say Magneto had a rekka, or that casuals would know what the gently caress it was. You guys are so recreationally salty over this game that you aren't actually reading posts.

Yeah, DBFZ is too far out to pose an immediate threat to MVC:I. I'm sure that it'll blow up the world when it comes out, but they were saying at E3 that DBZF is 20% done. I wouldn't be surprised to see it slide to 2019, or ship with a relatively limited roster at first.

Which ones? A casual Google says Logan made $660 million or so, which is well below every MCU movie besides the second Thor.

Besides, still not the point I'm making. Character loyalty's important with licensed games, but it's not the only concern, especially with a team-based fighting game that encourages people to branch out.

cant you guys just let him win the argument so he stops posting

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Dunning-Kruger rears its ugly head again. Nice going, champ.

It's really not that hard to understand what Rosas was going for, although his phrasing was awful. If you picked a character in UMVC3 for a particular style of play that they represented, he's saying they tried to represent that style in the reshuffled cast, which is why Iron Man rushes poo poo down now, Cap has Taskmaster's counter, Rocket can summon Groot to cover about as much ground as Sentinel could, etc.

Players may have preexisting character loyalty, but if they stick with a game for a while, even if it's just for couch play or dorm match-ups or whatever, they'll pick up other characters who might play better, especially when it's a team-based game. There are a lot of casual players who couldn't give a poo poo about Magneto or Doom as characters, but they still find their way onto a lot of players' teams because they're easy to use and effective. Conversely, there's a good half of the cast where there's no reason to use them besides character loyalty (why pick Iron Man when Doom exists, unless you just happen to like Iron Man?), and a lot of those guys came back for the sequel, so the developers are trying to thread that needle.

90% of their audience doesn't know what's going on. 90% of their audience are casual players who will pick this up on week one from the Wal-Mart electronics aisle because it says "Marvel" on the cover.

If you are into the hobby to such an extent that you discuss the hobby on online message boards, you are part of a hardcore 10% and are in no way reflective of the vast majority of the gaming audience. That's something a lot of enthusiasts don't realize, but once you know that, a lot of what developers and publishers do makes a lot more sense.

The casual audience does not play capcom games

E: i'll make this easier for you. You are talking about an audience for capcom games that doesn't exist anymore. Capcom burned the casual audience good will over the years. UMVC3 was the first one to do this, being released so closely to the original MVC3 that many people felt burned by buying the original (look up the sales). SFxT also sold poorly and they blamed it on there being way too many fighting games, but MK/Injustice/Tekken were still doing well.

By the time SF5 releases and they drop the ball for a third time, the casual audience (and the enthusiast scene to a certain extent) give a huge backlash and just don't even buy that game at all.

So I'm not really sure you know what the gently caress you're talking about since the casual audience is extremely put off Capcom by this point. The casual audience is looking at Injustice 2, Tekken 7 and now the new DBZ fighting game. Capcom is reaching for an audience that doesn't give a gently caress anymore.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 25, 2017

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The Right Honourable the Lord Spiritual and Temporal of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Public Relations appointed for the consideration of all matters relating to Function, Peter Rosas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zand posted:

cant you guys just let him win the argument so he stops posting
wow wanderer. you're very right, and you have the big cock function.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
definiately gonna play the rekka

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why would a casual fan who is buying the Marvel vs Capcom game for the characters they're familiar with play anything other than the characters they're familiar with when they're gonna drop the game in like a week at best? Especially, children. Also, why would you tell X-Men fans their characters only served functions to the people who played them when the X-Men are some of the most beloved characters in Marvel history and a significant portion of your playerbase are people who grew up with those characters in multiple different mediums and there are now kids out there experiencing them in different ways too. Like why does it matter that Avengers sold 1.4 billion dollars at the box office in the most recent movie? You are still excluding a lot of other people because you refuse to spare some residency on the character roster to appeal to these people and instead appeal to people who are already being appealed to?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Captain Baal posted:

Like why does it matter that Avengers sold 1.4 billion dollars at the box office in the most recent movie?

let me tell you about a little group called disney, who rewrote copyright law just so their source of easy income is never at risk

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's just spin. It sounds dumb because it's Capcom USA trying to do PR under JPN's restrictions and whatever Marvel wants. They can't go and say "you're not getting mutants because Marvel" since Marvel is footing part of the bill, so it just starts this backwards rationalization process - which isn't even alternative truths, it just sounds stupid because they're trying to make it sound like a good thing instead of "the best we could have done". If Combofiend had come out and said, "look, we won't have mutants unfortunately, but we're trying to keep the character's gameplay intact on new characters", the reaction would've been a lot better than "who even cares, they're just archetypes".

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
mr rosas, OBE, would know that better than you, cur

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

after release is combofiend going to quit and make a budget smash clone

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like watching youtuber Lythero. He uses popular high tier characters like Viewtiful Joe, Phoenix Wright and Dante

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Zand posted:

after release is combofiend going to quit and make a budget smash clone

what wacky twist will he include that ruins the gameplay and/or will it be pixel art furies so no one pays attention to ti?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

what wacky twist will he include that ruins the gameplay

No one has HP but the first to build 5 meters wins

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Actually that's basically how Sony All Stars worked anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like I know it's spin and poo poo, but I feel at some point logic would dictate "Oh hey, X-Men has a large fanbase, we will make more money with X-Men characters in our game!" instead of "We don't want X-Men in our game because they're not our movies so make up an excuse that isn't that" is a better approach to take, but I'm also not the guys making 1.4 Billion dollars off of one movie, so clearly I'm in the wrong here. I guess the really good way to handle your roster that MVC3 took was in fact the incorrect way to do it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like watching youtuber Lythero. He uses popular high tier characters like Viewtiful Joe, Phoenix Wright and Dante

I have seen people legit mad that Dante was one of the top tier characters in MVC3 even though he is actually one of the more effort based top tier characters in that game and has a really wacky mechanic to doing his poo poo.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Baal posted:

Like I know it's spin and poo poo, but I feel at some point logic would dictate "Oh hey, X-Men has a large fanbase, we will make more money with X-Men characters in our game!" instead of "We don't want X-Men in our game because they're not our movies so make up an excuse that isn't that" is a better approach to take, but I'm also not the guys making 1.4 Billion dollars off of one movie, so clearly I'm in the wrong here.

It's part of a long-term strategy to shift focus in the movies to a new set of characters, probably based on the assumption that general audiences will only stay interested in stories about the same group of X-Men for so long, and the MCU franchises will ultimately stay healthier longer if stuff like Guardians keeps getting introduced while older characters are retired.

Probably underrating the extent to which people give a poo poo about the 90s X-Men characters, but GOTG and Dr. Strange and stuff seem to be doing fine anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

Like I know it's spin and poo poo, but I feel at some point logic would dictate "Oh hey, X-Men has a large fanbase, we will make more money with X-Men characters in our game!" instead of "We don't want X-Men in our game because they're not our movies so make up an excuse that isn't that" is a better approach to take, but I'm also not the guys making 1.4 Billion dollars off of one movie, so clearly I'm in the wrong here. I guess the really good way to handle your roster that MVC3 took was in fact the incorrect way to do it.

Big companies are WAY too attached to their business plans and spiteful as gently caress. They probably see Infinite as just another quick cashgrab, and promoting X-Men stuff as a bigger "risk" than losing...let's say 500k sales because there are no X-Men. I mean, you can see the game is budget as gently caress with all the asset reusage, 90% of the roster being ripped off UMVC3 and just general UI stuff. I think it's stupid, but in the end the PR bullshit is just that, bullshit. We knew how this poo poo was gonna go from the moment of its announcement, unfortunately.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If anything I can't say I'm surprised so much as disappointed it went exactly as expected

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Brosnan posted:

It's part of a long-term strategy to shift focus in the movies to a new set of characters, probably based on the assumption that general audiences will only stay interested in stories about the same group of X-Men for so long, and the MCU franchises will ultimately stay healthier longer if stuff like Guardians keeps getting introduced while older characters are retired.

Probably underrating the extent to which people give a poo poo about the 90s X-Men characters, but GOTG and Dr. Strange and stuff seem to be doing fine anyway.

calling it now: black panther's lvl3 super will be some Weapon X ripoff, complete with weird scream sound effect

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Capcoms long term strategy to shift focus from their games to arcsys and namco

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

If capcom hits their sales targets for the year, the whole company explodes!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Zelder posted:

If capcom hits their sales targets for the year, the whole company explodes!

:ssj:NOOOOOOOO:ssj:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIpibaXQm8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-or-POWn14c

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I'm kinda shocked a little that Justin Wong is younger than me, but then again he was known as "the new kid" when MvC2 debuted....

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I just thought about it and Chris Redfield should be partnered with Rocket instead of Dante because he has guns and is from Raccoon City.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Reiley posted:

I just thought about it and Chris Redfield should be partnered with Rocket instead of Dante because he has guns and is from Raccoon City.

They literally made jokes mentioning just that in umvc3

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/DEcVLhsU0AAjgM1.mp4

I don't know what the thinking emoji command is but pretend I posted it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

fadam posted:

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/DEcVLhsU0AAjgM1.mp4

I don't know what the thinking emoji command is but pretend I posted it here.

:thunk:

• Locked thread