Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

hakimashou posted:

Isn't nativism a bad thing?

Why are people here so, so bad at getting the difference between nativism and anti-colonialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

tag youre fat posted:

i love when all the no war but class war guys make a sudden exception for irish nationalism, an ideology created by catholic landowners concerned about losing their position as the landed class

Wolfe Tone was protestant and the plantation wasn't a revolutionary movement, it was the blueprint the british empire was built on.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ireland should be reunified because the border is insanely ugly otherwise

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Well actually the Orissa famines were good because they destroyed Oriya feudalism"

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why are people here so, so bad at getting the difference between nativism and anti-colonialism.

it's nativism when i don't like it and anti-colonialism when its good

simple

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQAusM72s7g&t=3250s

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

every island should have one nation each

eurafricasia is gonna own

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it's nativism when i don't like it and anti-colonialism when its good

simple

Nativism is excluding outsiders, anti-colonialism is being against subjugation by powerful outsiders. I'm starting to think people are only pretending not to get this.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
i support the ira because i hate border gore

disgusting

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Nativism is excluding outsiders, anti-colonialism is being against subjugation by powerful outsiders. I'm starting to think people are only pretending not to get this.

the question is very much who counts as an "outsider" here.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

powerful outsiders such as the busload of protestant labourers you massacre because they're dirty ulstermen

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

just imagine playing CK2 and having all of ireland except for NI for centuries on end

it would drive me mad

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
'pretty borders' really grinds my gears. it's my pet peeve. pretty borders are, frankly, boring.

go 15th century HRE it's more interesting that way.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the IRA deserve some credit for creativity tho, the Proxy Bombings were some Saw poo poo. you know you're terroristing pretty hard when FARC copies you

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IMO it's not a good thing when a country is turned into a warzone and people are being killed on the streets.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the IRA deserve some credit for creativity tho, the Proxy Bombings were some Saw poo poo. you know you're terroristing pretty hard when FARC copies you

i'm sure they're devastated to learn just hjow easily they could have burned buildings

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

IMO it's not a good thing when a country is turned into a warzone and people are being killed on the streets.

hippie

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

powerful outsiders such as the busload of protestant labourers you massacre because they're dirty ulstermen

Powerful outsiders like invaders who explicitly oppressed the natives living in their domain. I don't support a lot of the stuff the IRA did but acting like they were the clear bad guys and the Ulsters were the clear good guys is willfully ignorant.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Powerful outsiders like invaders who explicitly oppressed the natives living in their domain. I don't support a lot of the stuff the IRA did but acting like they were the clear bad guys and the Ulsters were the clear good guys is willfully ignorant.

who did that?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
What if you believe immigrants are trying to colonize your country, does that make nativism OK?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"A deliberate effort by a conquering power to displace the locals and replace them with its own loyal people is a lot like immigration wouldn't you say"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If Nigel Farage went on TV and explained that the EU is much stronger than Britain and has been trying for years to colonize it with continental europeans by means of the freedom of movement provisions in the EU treaties, would he become an anti-colonialist hero and the Brexit a brave act of decolonization and preserving Britain for rule by its native people?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

the moon was made from the earth so you're not wrong
:sci101:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't think anyone is saying the Ulstermen were the clear good guys!!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Like those guys being bad fucken news is pretty much shared I think.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Ah yes, who could forget all those times when Brussels deported good old stock english families to have them replaced by polish landlords.

It's very funny because you're never going to find as much sympathy for british unionism anywhere outside of the anglosphere cultural bubble.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Hm, but if neonazis say something happens clearly an extremely well documented case of ethnic cleansing cannot have happened, checkmate, everyone who has studied the history of british colonialism"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the situation in ireland is a fuckin mess but lol if you think the DUP aren't just looking for any excuse to turn things into a syria-esque foreverwar

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

hakimashou posted:

What if you believe immigrants are trying to colonize your country, does that make nativism OK?

bad post generator operating at peak efficiency today

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nationalism bad

always

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Yinlock posted:

nationalism bad

always

Palestinian nationalism even?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Hey now
you're in Ulster
watch out for
Sinn
Féin

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Then you're one of the idiots worried about La Raza.

hakimashou posted:

If Nigel Farage went on TV and explained that the EU is much stronger than Britain and has been trying for years to colonize it with continental europeans by means of the freedom of movement provisions in the EU treaties, would he become an anti-colonialist hero and the Brexit a brave act of decolonization and preserving Britain for rule by its native people?

No?

Yinlock posted:

nationalism bad

always

Tibetan nationalism isn't.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Someone who is born in Northern Ireland, who's never set a foot outside of it, who's family and friends are all in Norhtern Ireland is not an outsider, it doesn't matter if they're deep Catholic Irishman, orange wearing Unionists or a second generation pakistani who keeps close ot family traditions. they have the right to be there, and they have the right to have his culture respected and be free from suffering violence .Yeah, the fact some of them are there was the result of horrible poo poo in the past that shouldn't have happened, but the fact is that they are there, and there lives are there. They have the right to be there, and they have no duty at all to 'integrate or leave'.

We can point to some government policies that try to stamp out a culture and say 'hey, this stuff is wrong' but pointing at someone and saying 'hey, if you live in this piece of land, you need to adhere to this cultural package is a toxic kind of thinking and bad and poo poo.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Shogeton posted:

Someone who is born in Northern Ireland, who's never set a foot outside of it, who's family and friends are all in Norhtern Ireland is not an outsider, it doesn't matter if they're deep Catholic Irishman, orange wearing Unionists or a second generation pakistani who keeps close ot family traditions. they have the right to be there, and they have the right to have his culture respected and be free from suffering violence .Yeah, the fact some of them are there was the result of horrible poo poo in the past that shouldn't have happened, but the fact is that they are there, and there lives are there. They have the right to be there, and they have no duty at all to 'integrate or leave'.

We can point to some government policies that try to stamp out a culture and say 'hey, this stuff is wrong' but pointing at someone and saying 'hey, if you live in this piece of land, you need to adhere to this cultural package is a toxic kind of thinking and bad and poo poo.

There is an extremely strong difference between people who are there because of active, violent colonization and people who are there because of immigration and this is the kind of stupid equivocation that ends up carrying water for zionist expansion and rhodesian nostalgia as though they were value neutral immigrants.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

religious/ethnic conflicts are ugly yo

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Agnosticnixie posted:

"A deliberate effort by a conquering power to displace the locals and replace them with its own loyal people is a lot like immigration wouldn't you say"
Its actually not that hard to get around that restriction you're putting up here. Observe:

"Rich liberals are collaborating with a foreign power (the EU) to colonize the UK with displaced workers, because they're cheaper. This is an act of colonialism. That a small minority of well placed turncoat british, have made this explicit goverment policy, is irrelevant to whether it's colonialism or not."

Ultimately all nationalism leads to the same end point.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wait a second is hakimashou pro-Israel? That would explain everything.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Agnosticnixie posted:

There is an extremely strong difference between people who are there because of active, violent colonization and people who are there because of immigration and this is the kind of stupid equivocation that ends up carrying water for zionist expansion and rhodesian nostalgia as though they were value neutral immigrants.
trying to reduce an entire country / group down to active, violent colonization will always be reductionist because in israel, something like half the jewish population is descended from middle eastern jews who were expelled from arab countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Agnosticnixie posted:

If a person himself took part in that active colonization? Then he deserves consequences not because he's a different culture, but because he took part in violent colonization. But that is not a taint you can just keep transferring across the generation. At some point, you gotta say 'yeah,, the reason they are here because lovely people did lovely things, but they never took part in this, they were born here, their life is here, and their culture is what it is, and they should be respected same as any other culture, '

Does that mean that the crimes of the past have born fruit, and they got away with it? Yes.