Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mustached Demon posted:

Bunch of boomers might die?

Well, yes, but something bad could also happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

got any sevens posted:

Phoenix was too hot a few days ago for planes to take off. Lol

Phoenix suspending ground operations for a not-insignificant fraction of the year isn't new.

Someone had posted annual data on flight cancellations related to heat like last year in this thread. I'll search for it when not phoneposting

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 24, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Hey thread, first timer here. I just saw a guy deny climate change is man-made (though not that it exists.)

He's arguing that theres no scientific consensus and that it's a hoax designed to tax people.

I'd like to thank the OP for providing some good sources I'll need to sift through later today. Unfortunately I think any scientific sources might be buried under his "There is no problem the free market can't solve" undertone because climate change might be too hard on his worldview.

Has anyone encountered such a mix of libertarianism and climate change denal before? Am I better off trying to argue climate change in particular, or does that get you nowhere with these people?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

Hey thread, first timer here. I just saw a guy deny climate change is man-made (though not that it exists.)

He's arguing that theres no scientific consensus and that it's a hoax designed to tax people.

I'd like to thank the OP for providing some good sources I'll need to sift through later today. Unfortunately I think any scientific sources might be buried under his "There is no problem the free market can't solve" undertone because climate change might be too hard on his worldview.

Has anyone encountered such a mix of libertarianism and climate change denal before? Am I better off trying to argue climate change in particular, or does that get you nowhere with these people?

They don't really like to be argued with and facts are not the issue. It's politics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cWnubJ9CEw

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

People who believe in conspiracy theories tend to be alienated or feel disaffected. Arguing with them isn't going to make them feel any more powerful or accepted.

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/11/505187974/why-people-believe-conspiracy-theories

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
He's British though, if that matters. I don't think climate change denial has such strong connections with any particular party there (except the Tories, natch, but not as strongly as the Republican party).

Maybe I can just make him seem like an obstinate fool to people passing by.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Deltasquid posted:

He's British though, if that matters. I don't think climate change denial has such strong connections with any particular party there (except the Tories, natch, but not as strongly as the Republican party).

Maybe I can just make him seem like an obstinate fool to people passing by.

In the UK climate change denial is bundled in with anti-EU/anti-globalism sentiment, because that's where environmental regulations come from.

(Anti-EU sentiment is also often linked to anti-immigration which can be cause by any number of flavors of xenophobia...)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Deltasquid posted:

See if you can tackle the Free market fundamentalism first. If he can't be made to accept externalities are a thing then it's not worth wasting the time.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, if he's a Free Market-type then you'll need to give him a crisis of faith before you can get anywhere.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, if he's a Free Market-type then you'll need to give him a crisis of faith before you can get anywhere.

I think this is an unproductive way to deal with these conversations, as generally people don't have crises of faith very often.

Conspiratiorist posted:

In the UK climate change denial is bundled in with anti-EU/anti-globalism sentiment, because that's where environmental regulations come from.

(Anti-EU sentiment is also often linked to anti-immigration which can be cause by any number of flavors of xenophobia...)

I think understanding this ideological bundling phenomena is key to having a productive conversation. Deltasquid's acquaintance thinks global warming is a scheme designed to justify taxes. This and the comments about libertarianism imply that in his friend's mind, the existence of anthropogenic climate change has somehow become entangled in an entirely separate argument about proper government and economic policy.

There's no inherent reason these ideas should be correlated, just as there's no reason to expect belief in global warming to be related to a belief in the morality of abortion. However these sorts of political ideas often become conflated for reasons of identity and instrumentality (i.e. whether it is useful to believe something). We all like to pretend we came to our beliefs through the application of pure reason, but the truth is we often inherit them as a set.

In order to have a productive fact based conversation, I find it to be easiest if I can dissociate the issue from the wider politicized context. You're not going to convince a lifelong Tory to suddenly become a Corbynista in one 15 minute conversation and it isn't worth trying. However if you want to talk about ACC, if you can keep the subject laser focused on temperature, data, scientific practice etc, and absolutely stay away from issues like taxation that might be truly driving their position, you can get a lot farther. This can be surprisingly easy to do if you can manage to 'speak the language' of their ideology so to speak, by framing the issue in terms that are coherent to their ideological position. Following that respect I think you can get surprisingly far.

Getting combative or even going into the conversation with the goal of 'winning' by convincing him to take your position is of course a fast track to failure and ideological retrenchment.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
Avoiding Two Degrees of Warming 'Is Now Totally Unrealistic'

Just in case anyone was still under any illusions.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
On the weather!= climate front gonna hit 3 figgies F here today

anecdotes sure aren''t statistic but still

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Squalid posted:

I think this is an unproductive way to deal with these conversations, as generally people don't have crises of faith very often.

I think understanding this ideological bundling phenomena is key to having a productive conversation. Deltasquid's acquaintance thinks global warming is a scheme designed to justify taxes. This and the comments about libertarianism imply that in his friend's mind, the existence of anthropogenic climate change has somehow become entangled in an entirely separate argument about proper government and economic policy.

There's no inherent reason these ideas should be correlated, just as there's no reason to expect belief in global warming to be related to a belief in the morality of abortion. However these sorts of political ideas often become conflated for reasons of identity and instrumentality (i.e. whether it is useful to believe something). We all like to pretend we came to our beliefs through the application of pure reason, but the truth is we often inherit them as a set.

In order to have a productive fact based conversation, I find it to be easiest if I can dissociate the issue from the wider politicized context. You're not going to convince a lifelong Tory to suddenly become a Corbynista in one 15 minute conversation and it isn't worth trying. However if you want to talk about ACC, if you can keep the subject laser focused on temperature, data, scientific practice etc, and absolutely stay away from issues like taxation that might be truly driving their position, you can get a lot farther. This can be surprisingly easy to do if you can manage to 'speak the language' of their ideology so to speak, by framing the issue in terms that are coherent to their ideological position. Following that respect I think you can get surprisingly far.

Getting combative or even going into the conversation with the goal of 'winning' by convincing him to take your position is of course a fast track to failure and ideological retrenchment.

Lol he isn't even a friend, just some guy making GBS threads up the EU parliament's facebook feed.

Fortunately while I took an exam yesterday, some other noble souls took up the torch of arguing on the internet.

EDIT: but you're right. I think the roundabout way of shaking this guy's belief in the free market would be the best long-term solution, but he seemed to be some middle-aged man and his profile stated he studied at Yale business school or something, so I don't think trying to change his mind would have worked much in the long run. His logic seemed to be that "if there's a problem, the free market will fix it." with a tautological touch of "if the free market can't fix it, it actually isn't a problem".

His parting shot to me was "There's no problem the free market can't fix. And the government is never a solution. Remember that." so I think he was a lost cause no matter what. :smith:

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 25, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Squalid posted:

Deltasquid's acquaintance thinks global warming is a scheme designed to justify taxes.

How do you even begin to address this though? There are plenty of western nations where climate change has in fact been used to shift taxes from capital and income to sales through VAT-derivatives. (primarily through carbon tax) Only one thing in that statement is wrong. Global warming is a real phenomenon, not a scheme, that has been used to justify tax-shifts. Either way he still has a reason to distrust politics which means you wouldn't make any progress.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Deltasquid posted:

His parting shot to me was "There's no problem the free market can't fix. And the government is never a solution. Remember that." so I think he was a lost cause no matter what. :smith:

"Markets require government in order to exist, fuckwit.

Love, Econ 101"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

How do you even begin to address this though?

Political power flows from the barrel of a gun.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

That's one hell of a position.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

The only solution is mass suicide

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

This is a page back but reading over this probate history gave me a glimmer of hope that'll probably be quashed as I finish catching up with the thread.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hooman posted:

That's one hell of a position.

Libertarianism as a philosophy boils down to the assertion that markets are the only legitimate seat of political power. It is a garbage philosophy.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

This is a really stupid take and you're a very stupid person. Also don't use the N-word.

I love that a reasonable opinion makes you melt down (lol) like this, keep it up if you don't want Larsen C around my man!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/JustinHGillis/status/879351914848288769

quote:

The record increases of airborne carbon dioxide in 2015 and 2016 thus raise the question of whether this has now come to pass. Scientists are worried, but they are not ready to draw that conclusion, saying more time is needed to get a clear picture.

Many of them suspect an El Niño climate pattern that spanned those two years, one of the strongest on record, may have caused the faster-than-usual rise in carbon dioxide, by drying out large parts of the tropics. The drying contributed to huge fires in Indonesia in late 2015 that sent a pulse of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Past El Niños have also produced rapid increases in the gas, though not as large as the recent ones.

Yet scientists are not entirely certain that the El Niño was the main culprit; the idea cannot explain why a high rate of increase in carbon dioxide has continued into 2017, even though the El Niño ended early last year.

Scientists say their inability to know for certain is a reflection not just of the scientific difficulty of the problem, but also of society’s failure to invest in an adequate monitoring system to keep up with the profound changes humans are wreaking on the planet.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
"a mystery"

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Wow, maybe the data countries compile on their own could be erroneous? The very thing everyone pretends won't happen because it would make carbon tax, carbon credits, etc completely pointless?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wait are we talking feedback loops or emissions cheats

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Why can't we have both?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Everytime I read the thread title a little voice in my mind says, "Nothing. The world's going to burn."

At least I'm up in New England. My brother down in Florida is so screwed.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
This is clearly not great:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Evil_Greven posted:

This is clearly not great:

If you squint just right there are still a few pixels within 2 deviations at the end of may. Based on that I'd say this year is totally normal!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

JFC, at least during the Bush admin they were at least a little bit coy about doing this:

quote:

The Environmental Protection Agency’s chief of staff pressured the top scientist on the agency’s scientific review board to alter her congressional testimony and play down the dismissal of expert advisers, his emails show.

James Thurber, the founder and former director of the Center for Congressional Studies at American University, said he had never heard of an administration pressuring a witness, particularly a scientist, to alter testimony already submitted for the official record.

“It’s shocking and insulting to be told before you go in to alter your testimony to what the administration wants,” he said. “This just shows a certain amount of amateurishness about how these hearings work. They’re supposed to be places where you get objective views. You don’t go around telling people what to say.”

Representative Lamar Smith of Texas, the chairman of the committee, dismissed the accusations.

“It’s disappointing that the minority is politicizing what seems to be nothing more than a federal agency making sure that information provided to Congress is accurate,” he said in a statement. “Dr. Swackhamer and the Minority have repeatedly stated that she was testifying in her personal capacity and not in connection with her role as chair of the E.P.A. Board of Scientific Counselors. However, it is clear that the Minority invited her in an attempt to hijack the stated purpose of the Committee’s hearing on states’ role in E.P.A. rulemaking and shift the focus to recent E.P.A. actions involving the” Board of Scientific Counselors.

“Any attempt by E.P.A. to ensure that what Congress heard in testimony about official E.P.A. matters included the full breadth of information seems entirely appropriate,” Mr. Smith continued. “Unfortunately, the Minority has made the choice to waste taxpayer dollars as part of a politically motivated agenda.”

Also your daily reminder that Lamar Smith is a gigantic sack of poo poo.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

OhFunny posted:

I think we all may be hosed, amigo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Uncle Jam posted:

Wow, maybe the data countries compile on their own could be erroneous? The very thing everyone pretends won't happen because it would make carbon tax, carbon credits, etc completely pointless?

This is my suspicion too. It wouldn't shock me if it turned out that the decoupling of emissions and economic growth never really happened. On the other hand, a lot of countries would need to be misreporting data and that would be kind of weird, so who knows?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/jacquesk8/status/879421679742603264

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

OhFunny posted:

Everytime I read the thread title a little voice in my mind says, "Nothing. The world's going to burn."

I always read it in the past tense, "What was to be done?".

Uncle Jam posted:

I can't help but feel that this would be a factor, and quite frankly I hope it is because if those results are an indication of a cascade failiure of natural carbon sinks, every calculation and trajectory of emissions and resulting warming is off by something like 50%.

I wonder how many wake-up calls we need.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Phoenix suspending ground operations for a not-insignificant fraction of the year isn't new.

Someone had posted annual data on flight cancellations related to heat like last year in this thread. I'll search for it when not phoneposting

Surprised this doesn't happen in Vegas

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

The mystery isn't new, its been a mystery for a very long time. There has been a consistent mismatch between the carbon we emit and the carbon we can measure. That is to say, there is a substantial fraction of carbon that we emit that isn't going into the atmosphere or the ocean (probably) and we don't know where its going or where it went or how long it might stay there. I guess everyone just ignored this because up till now it was working in our favour. Well poo poo....

And old article discussing it
http://www.science20.com/news_releases/where_does_co2_go_mystery_missing_sinks

EDIT: The economics regarding fossil fuel extraction and burning making hiding emissions almost impossible. We know how much coal was extracted really quiet accurately, because we know how much coal companies sell and how much electricity we sold and so forth. I expect the amount of CO2 relating to fossil fuel emissions are quiet accurate.

EDITEDIT: A better link
https://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/fung_01/ 1997

quote:

In the past 200 years, atmospheric CO2 levels have increased by a quarter, going from 0.028% around 1700 to 0.035% in 1995. This increase has been caused by growing human populations using and burning increasing amounts of coal, oil and gas. Also, deforestation puts additional CO2 in the atmosphere, by burning of trees and by disturbing vegetation and soil dynamics, which permits the detritus of forest clearing to decompose and to oxidize the soil carbon.

However, when these sources of CO2 are tallied up, they are more than double the observed increase of CO2 in the atmosphere. Some of the anthropogenic CO2 is absorbed by the ocean, and the rest by the vegetation and soils. But how much? where? and by what mechanisms? Places where the CO2 winds up are termed "sinks". It is important to know how the anthropogenic CO2 sink is partitioned between land and sea because the lifetime of a molecule of carbon in vegetation is 10-100 times shorter than in the ocean. Thus, the CO2 that has gone into the land's biosphere may not stay there for long.

BattleMoose fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 27, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So the people who are like "I'm glad I live in a frosty climate"... what's the theory there? Tens of millions of climate refugees will migrate to the remaining habitable parts of the US and they're just gonna sit and die jobless, while respecting your property rights?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

call to action posted:

So the people who are like "I'm glad I live in a frosty climate"... what's the theory there? Tens of millions of climate refugees will migrate to the remaining habitable parts of the US and they're just gonna sit and die jobless, while respecting your property rights?
Property rights are for people with property.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

call to action posted:

You'd be amazed what we can achieve with cameras, walls and machine guns in the future. Just look at the refugee crisis today!

:smith:

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

call to action posted:

I recommend New Zealand, its harder to get to than Australia, has epic water resources and already 1st world. Its also frosty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

call to action posted:

They're counting on their governments mowing those refugees down at the border. Which, to be fair, seems pretty likely.