Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. plus the entire idea(theoretically) goes against cult thinking.
on the other hand, the sketpics have proven themselves time and time again to embody the exact opposite of what they claim to be (at least when it comes to political stuff; can't speak on their videos re: religion or science)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kjoery posted:

on the other hand, the sketpics have proven themselves time and time again to embody the exact opposite of what they claim to be (at least when it comes to political stuff; can't speak on their videos re: religion or science)

thats why i added theoretically. it sucks.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://twitter.com/gogreen18/status/872907439489798144

http://twitter.com/gogreen18/status/873397990056108032

http://twitter.com/gogreen18/status/873236096561303553

You'd think people you look up to calling you an idiot would make you do some self-examination.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ As another poster mentioned, Green comes off as genuinely kinda dumb in the sort of way teenagers are dumb. How old is she? I could see this sort of thing being excusable for someone under the age of 23 or so.

khwarezm posted:

I don't know about that, sometimes people mention Gal Gadot's lovely Israeli nationalism, but the idea that the problem with Wonder Woman is to do with the 'Woke Brands' fakeness? I just don't see that expressed, most criticism is aimed at a perceived lack of quality rather than being perniciously milquetoast Liberal in such a way as to undermine leftism. The very fact that its a Hollywood blockbuster makes it an intrinsically Capitalist product, but then so is Star Wars, and the Fast the Furious, and the Marvel franchises, and Batman and so many other things. When I talk about these things among friends that's just an understood part of engaging with such a product. And those same Liberals also loved Mad Max, but again, you don't see as much critique of that.

Yeah, I forgot about the issue with Gadot, though there's kinda a separate argument there as to whether it makes sense to critique the movie on an artistic level on the basis of an actor being a bad person*. I could definitely be off-base about the nature of the criticism here, though I still think it's true that leftists have a tendency to view something more critically if it has significant vocal support among liberals. And, as I mentioned in my previous post, this isn't necessarily a bad thing (I'm a leftist who does this to some degree), as long as people ensure the resulting criticism is still valid.

*I would argue that it kinda depends upon the specific nature of the actor's moral failings and the nature of the movie they're acting in; as an extreme example, having a Nazi act as a liberator in a movie with general oppression/genocide themes would be hosed up enough to impact the message of the movie itself. So I guess the situation with Gadot is actually kinda similar to this.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 25, 2017

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ As another poster mentioned, Green comes off as genuinely kinda dumb in the sort of way teenagers are dumb. How old is she? I could see this sort of thing being excusable for someone under the age of 23 or so.

Yeah, I forgot about the issue with Gadot, though there's kinda a separate argument there as to whether it makes sense to critique the movie on an artistic level on the basis of an actor being a bad person*. I could definitely be off-base about the nature of the criticism here, though I still think it's true that leftists have a tendency to view something more critically if it has significant vocal support among liberals. And, as I mentioned in my previous post, this isn't necessarily a bad thing (I'm a leftist who does this to some degree), as long as people ensure the resulting criticism is still valid.

*I would argue that it kinda depends upon the specific nature of the actor's moral failings and the nature of the movie they're acting in; as an extreme example, having a Nazi act as a liberator in a movie with general oppression/genocide themes would be hosed up enough to impact the message of the movie itself. So I guess the situation with Gadot is actually kinda similar to this.

She's 27 and about to enroll in a Ph. D. program, I believe.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Huzanko posted:

You'd think people you look up to calling you an idiot would make you do some self-examination.
why listen to criticism and self-examine when you're surrounded by vultures telling you that you're perfect just the way you are

i mean really, she outright said that the reason why she "left" is because she was sick of being criticized
https://twitter.com/gogreen18/status/877317852629417984
psh, crticism. typical of leftist hugbox safespaces

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

business hammocks posted:

Twitter is just UGH. I hope the rest of the superteam eventually migrates over to SA's web 1.0 wonderland where we'd never dogpile-insult them for an out-of-context photo or lump them in with Laci Green.

Lets be honest here, we'd just dogpile them for even more non-sequitur reasons like we have done in the past. Being a popular content creator and being open about it on SA sucks.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Lets be honest here, we'd just dogpile them for even more non-sequitur reasons like we have done in the past. Being a popular content creator and being open about it on SA sucks.

Quite a few of them post regularly in the Internet Critic thread in RGD. Hbomb, Dan Olson, the girl who does Baywatching, etc.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Quite a few of them post regularly in the Internet Critic thread in RGD.

I could spend this entire page listing people who no longer do specifically because of that thread and its many iterations over the years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Huzanko posted:

She's 27 and about to enroll in a Ph. D. program, I believe.
I'm not sure that's the best place for not wanting to do original research or have to defend it against criticism tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How does sex positivity make you loathe yourself?

It's not very difficult. Far less difficult than regressive sex traditionalism.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Quite a few of them post regularly in the Internet Critic thread in RGD. Hbomb, Dan Olson, the girl who does Baywatching, etc.

It's usually just one grosso who chases people away ala Kate Beaton. The downfall that content creators face on SA has historically been looking for feedback or praise rather than being resident voices in the thread, or they get drawn into some weird lovely fight. Everyone who posts in the internet critic thread participates in discussion and knows when to stay away. I think the original reason some of them ended up there was to provide insight into how badly the Nostalgia Critic company they used to sell videos to was run. Kyle Kallgren and Phelan also post there.

It's a really interesting mix of good discussion and absolute poo poo, depending on whether or not video games come up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

There is a trend of self criticism within some parts of internet social justice that makes Maoism look liberal. Whatever you do right will piss off someone from one area while not going far enough for others. Done right, it can lead into a constructive dialectic to build better positions and be more intersectional. Done wrong it can lead to callout culture and being told you're a piece of garbage for missing some details about demiromantics out of what is supposed to be sex ed for the general population.

And the internet often does things wrong, especially in the comments section.

It's a lot easier to go and join the pro team that doesn't even bother to stop you having wrong and harmful opinions and gives you high fives for making any poo poo as long as the target is right. Worse, but easier.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kjoery posted:

[url]https://twitter.com/gogreen18/status/877317852629417984[/]

This legit explains a ton about her. If she's going into psychology let's hope she addresses some of these underlying issues through the mandatory analysis they get. The internet is like the worst thing you can get tied up in if you have underlying poo poo to work through.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

You know, I wanted to like Destiny and was perusing his vids, but then he had to go and put one up arguing against a living minimum wage (not that $15 should actually be considered that) and my eyes just glazed the gently caress over.

Yeah, that's definitely disappointing. Still, I have to give Destiny credit for probably being the first real life, actual, down the middle, libertarian type person. He actually does seem to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative, and not actually using that term to hide the fact that he's just a bog standard Republican who doesn't want to call himself that. He actually seems to care about race issues in the country and thinks it's actually important to note how history and structural issues play into the problems we have today. That's pretty impressive.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, that's definitely disappointing. Still, I have to give Destiny credit for probably being the first real life, actual, down the middle, libertarian type person. He actually does seem to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative, and not actually using that term to hide the fact that he's just a bog standard Republican who doesn't want to call himself that. He actually seems to care about race issues in the country and thinks it's actually important to note how history and structural issues play into the problems we have today. That's pretty impressive.

Destiny is very 'American' for lack of a better term when it comes to economics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There is a trend of self criticism within some parts of internet social justice that makes Maoism look liberal. Whatever you do right will piss off someone from one area while not going far enough for others. Done right, it can lead into a constructive dialectic to build better positions and be more intersectional. Done wrong it can lead to callout culture and being told you're a piece of garbage for missing some details about demiromantics out of what is supposed to be sex ed for the general population.

It's a lot easier to go and join the pro team that doesn't even bother to stop you having wrong and harmful opinions and gives you high fives for making any poo poo as long as the target is right. Worse, but easier.

I guess I'm a sufficiently inherent knobhead to be able to tone that out a little.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

business hammocks posted:

This legit explains a ton about her. If she's going into psychology let's hope she addresses some of these underlying issues through the mandatory analysis they get. The internet is like the worst thing you can get tied up in if you have underlying poo poo to work through.
if she's doing a PHD, then she's already taken all those courses. we'll see how things play out, but i don't really hold much hope, especially because totally-not-alt-righter-and-MRA chrisraygun is her partner. if she really is just cluessless/naive, then we'll have to hope that she goes off-message and says something to offend the frogs, causing them all to inevitably sarkeesean her

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

aware of dog posted:

Israel had mandatory military service

Welp, guess we can't have any Israeli actors at all then

People refuse to serve in immoral armies all the time, you know. In the US, people resisted the Draft. Choosing to just go along and be part of the machine of oppression is a choice on which you can be judged. Maybe not as harshly as straight up volunteering, but judged nonetheless.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Guavanaut posted:

circular_firing_squad.txt

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OwlFancier posted:

I guess I'm a sufficiently inherent knobhead to be able to tone that out a little.

Yeah, but a lot of people who haven't grown up as nerdy SA-style lighthearted trolls and shitposters but ten years later as twattering popular teens using the internet as a regular social space full of friendly social networks, "internet people are terrible and will tell you you're worthless and should jump off a cliff for inconsequential stupid reasons, you should ignore them early and often" is probably a new and harsh lesson.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Sex+ was the title of her YouTube show.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Huzanko posted:

It's like Walt Disney calling you an rear end in a top hat

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Probably a good thing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, more like Mr. Rogers saying that he's disappointed in you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/PSRealTalk/status/878909807058702337

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Huzanko posted:

Ah the old appeal to authority fallacy!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just want to note:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm fairly certain this is a reference. It was from an hbomberguy video about Jordan Owen who said the quote here.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah. If that guy can be given pause she should be able to wonder why people she likes are taking issue with her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Just want to note:

I'm fairly certain this is a reference. It was from an hbomberguy video about Jordan Owen who said the quote here.

It makes sense that it would upset him if Walt Disney didn't like him. "But Walt, I only wanted to realize the dream of a white homeland! Don't call me a jew! Nooooooo!"

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Kjoery posted:

Not sure if this gem has been posted, but one skeptic posted a pretty incredibly terrible review of Fury Road, while we're on the topic. It seems like the more anime a skeptic is, the more thin-skinned and prone to projection they become:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyzNP8IUs2g

That guy is a loving scumbag even compared to the average anime nazi or alt-right youtuber.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dmitri-9 posted:

That guy is a loving scumbag even compared to the average anime nazi or alt-right youtuber.

yeah. also i feel like he has never even seen any of the other mad max films.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4BZtFgtCuHUt0p8J-XENiA/videos

yeah. most of its dumb poo poo. really doesnt like korra.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. also i feel like he has never even seen any of the other mad max films.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4BZtFgtCuHUt0p8J-XENiA/videos

yeah. most of its dumb poo poo. really doesnt like korra.

quote:

Legend of Whorra: Reniggings

loving Christ.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I remember something about someone on the left physically in person threatening to beat Laci Green up because they thought she was a TERF? If true that probably hosed with her head

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think it mostly demonstrates that the basis upon which she holds a given ideal is whether she is given positive affirmation, rather than personally-held principles or ideas arrived to through informed reason.
"Some leftists are mean and misguided, so now I believe in fascism!"

It's even worse if the reason is that it's profitable to be a "redeemed convert" as a convenient propaganda shield. It's like when Glenn Beck was temporarily anti-Trump, getting asspat headlines about how "even Glenn Beck is against this!" which got him lots of attention to his failing media empire.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

im pretty sure he'd be one of the frog people who unironically bought into The Little White Cuck Ball star wars conspiracy. he both has the hatred of women and a weird obsession with black people required (judging by all the obama videos, i think a black president broke his brain or something)

Lightning Lord posted:

I remember something about someone on the left physically in person threatening to beat Laci Green up because they thought she was a TERF? If true that probably hosed with her head
i can 100% guarantee that she got, at the very least, the same amount of harassment from antifem edgelords. considering how rapidly she's thrown people under the bus, i have some serious doubts about her honesty (though maybe that kat blaque individual did do terrible things? her channel seems pretty benign)

crime weed fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 26, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Neeksy posted:

I think it mostly demonstrates that the basis upon which she holds a given ideal is whether she is given positive affirmation, rather than personally-held principles or ideas arrived to through informed reason.
"Some leftists are mean and misguided, so now I believe in fascism!"

It's even worse if the reason is that it's profitable to be a "redeemed convert" as a convenient propaganda shield. It's like when Glenn Beck was temporarily anti-Trump, getting asspat headlines about how "even Glenn Beck is against this!" which got him lots of attention to his failing media empire.

I can't believe Samantha Bee fell for that bullshit conversion.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

That was the moment when I realized her show would not improve because she was doing the same thing the NYT does.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kjoery posted:

The Little White Cuck Ball

every time people say this i think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfLCuHSZ-U&t=33s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Making a play for the absolute largest amount of those sweet patreon dollars is, by far, the most woke and intellectually honest action someone like Green could accomplish. Pay for university, or remain pure in an ideological slapfight with the rest of the retards on the back of the short bus until you become a soulless husk incapable of feeling joy, like the Chapo crew?

• Locked thread