Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I'm just wondering where they'll go with Croix's weird, angry hatecrush on Chariot. I mean, half the time she's trying to kill and/or humiliate her, half the time she's flying into a blind panic when she thinks she might have actually put her old schoolfriend in mortal peril. Lady has some pretty major crossed wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Croix wants to beat Chariot to unlocking the seven words and prove she is better than her once and for all, not kill her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

Croix wants to beat Chariot to unlocking the seven words and prove she is better than her once and for all, not kill her.

Though she does seem to forget that sometimes. See also, machinegun to the face. And then she panics when she does land a serious hit. Basically, she seems to behave in such a contradictory manner that there's pretty clearly some sort of internal war going on here - I'd hesitate to ascribe a single, coherent motive to her actions.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

Though she does seem to forget that sometimes. See also, machinegun to the face. And then she panics when she does land a serious hit. Basically, she seems to behave in such a contradictory manner that there's pretty clearly some sort of internal war going on here - I'd hesitate to ascribe a single, coherent motive to her actions.

Maybe she's deeply in the closet?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is a series where the main character is routinely poisoned by her best friend and all she does is develop an immunity to it.

I'm not sure any of Croix's violence against Chariot would have been fatal. Especially considering how durable and superhuman she clearly is WITHOUT magic.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

This is a series where the main character is routinely poisoned by her best friend and all she does is develop an immunity to it.

I'm not sure any of Croix's violence against Chariot would have been fatal. Especially considering how durable and superhuman she clearly is WITHOUT magic.

That was kinda funny, actually.

"Without your flying magic, you have no hope of catching up to me!"
--- jumps 20 meters high ---
:stare:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, that 'goodbye, Chariot' line when she did the crushy-prison thing did carry certain implications. Particularly since it was only Finneran who kept her from getting squished. And then she basically did the same thing by accident, trapping Chariot on top of a hulking magitek monster, and completely freaked out.

Best explanation I can figure out, given all of that and the fact that she looked surprisingly genuine during the flashback where she comforted Chariot after the latter got the Rod, is as follows. She was initially kind of outraged that Chariot got the Rod rather than her, but felt enough... feelings towards her (respect, friendship, love, whatever) that she was willing to let her do it anyway. Then Chariot spent what Croix saw as a few pointless years dicking around with tacky stage magic, before burning out, blowing up the moon, and retreating into herself. So Croix has a massive grudge, and wants to destroy her old schoolmate for betraying her (and prove to the world that she and her philosophy of magic are better) but also sees too much of the girl she once loved in 'Ursula' to quite follow through, and is this huge bundle of unexamined angers, desires, and insecurities because at heart she's still an insular goon who never talks to anyone ever (which is probably another reason why Chariot, apparently her only friend ever, is a really big deal to her).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I actually agree with that analysis of her character, I just don't think she was ever out to actually kill her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I actually agree with that analysis of her character, I just don't think she was ever out to actually kill her.

I think she got very careless with Chariot's life on multiple occasions, because she is not behaving rationally and often lets her anger override her sense/sentiment. So she'll lash out with lethal force, but would be horrified at the very idea of premeditated murder.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's just hard to tell what in those scenarios is lethal, because again, nearly everyone in this show except Croix (who is basically a basement dweller with good fashion sense) and the other teachers is indestructible. The tension of that fight scene for me wasn't "is Chariot going to die", but "is Chariot going to lose?"

That said I do agree that carelessness is a defining aspect of her character.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Btw, there are nine witches in the Nine Olde Witches spot right now. I'm sure that's a coincidence ;)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ahh yes, so these are the final 9 cylon Witches.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Torquemadras posted:

That was kinda funny, actually.

"Without your flying magic, you have no hope of catching up to me!"
--- jumps 20 meters high ---

Why can she do all of those superhuman things? It's not explained at all.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

Where did she get her light saber? How can she change hair and eye colors at will?

Best not to think about these things too much.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

It's very simple.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

God Space Patrol Luluco was good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Because she's a highly capable witch of fighting age. The only one in the show, really, given Croix's suspicious reliance on technology rather than her inherent magic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

Because she's a highly capable witch of fighting age. The only one in the show, really, given Croix's suspicious reliance on technology rather than her inherent magic.

Yeah, I feel there's nothing more to it than this. Most witches are too old, too young, or rely entirely on technology (Croix). Ursula/Chariot is both young and most likely has had a lot of physical training considering her magical acts involved some degree of movement, which couldn't all be magical. She's athletic, and this is not a subtle series, so that's shown in superhuman jumps and agility that fit perfectly in the realm of anime.

It also makes for really cool fight scenes, which is likely the biggest reason out of universe.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Finally watched it. Series of events:
:munch:
:unsmith:

Also

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, that 'goodbye, Chariot' line when she did the crushy-prison thing did carry certain implications. Particularly since it was only Finneran who kept her from getting squished. And then she basically did the same thing by accident, trapping Chariot on top of a hulking magitek monster, and completely freaked out.
I'm pretty sure she didn't freak out as soon as Chariot was taken prisoner on the thing (when it went spider), but when she lost control over it after Woodward took the Grand Triskelion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Finally watched it. Series of events:
:munch:
:unsmith:

Also

I'm pretty sure she didn't freak out as soon as Chariot was taken prisoner on the thing (when it went spider), but when she lost control over it after Woodward took the Grand Triskelion.

That's my point - she panicked when the situation went from inconvenient and humiliating to potentially lethal for Chariot.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
is the last episode airing or is it a day late ?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

mpyro posted:

is the last episode airing or is it a day late ?
it airs in seven hours, like always
sundays at 24:00, 24:30, and 25:55 depending on station

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Oh those wacky Japanese and their 26-hour days.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I got the days mixed up my bad.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
dianakko. well, that is all

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Malloc Voidstar posted:

What's with people saying LWA is supposed to be a kid's show if it still airs at midnight like all the other "adult" (i.e. otaku-oriented) anime?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sincx posted:

What's with people saying LWA is supposed to be a kid's show if it still airs at midnight like all the other "adult" (i.e. otaku-oriented) anime?

Multiple timeslots throughout the week? Adult nerds may get it first, but I don't think it's exclusive to them.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

sincx posted:

The economics of TV in Japan are different. A lot of shows aimed at younger audiences air at night.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

livingfruitvirus posted:

The economics of TV in Japan are different. A lot of shows aimed at younger audiences air at night.

Yeah, doesn't like One Piece air at 8:00 PM primetime or something insane like that?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Welp. Subs are out. It's been a doki doki no waku waku ride, y'all.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

what a fantastic episode

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Good show. Here's hoping Netflix throws enough money at them for a season 2, but I'm not counting on it.

Did anyone else notice Trigger giving 4chan a little cameo?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i liked overall it but i feel the story was fairly average. the animation was pretty solid throughout. mostly forgettable

Relin fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 26, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Would 2chan be more likely?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

TFRazorsaw posted:

I thought the same, but I went to look and 2ch's page design is very different, at least now.

Negrostrike posted:

Welp. Subs are out. It's been a doki doki no waku waku ride, y'all.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

she talked

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That's her on a broom right? Please don't hang yourself Akko :ohdear:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

TFRazorsaw posted:

2chan and futakuro are blue red, not blue. They also don't have the backlink highlighting that 4chan does

e: also it has the janitor announcement

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see.

... also, she finally did it. Akko finally did it. ;-;

Also, the missile creating a giant lily flower from Akko and Diana's final attack. Subtle, Trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Also, I had no idea that flying witches are another route to getting fully reusable launch systems. Take that, SpaceX.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread