Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe Amazon's method of testing out a pilot is actually good. Committing $100 million to The Get Down right to series is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not when the show turns out as good as The Get Down did

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe Amazon's method of testing out a pilot is actually good. Committing $100 million to The Get Down right to series is nuts.

On the other hand, it really sucks to catch an Amazon pilot and actually liking it because that show could be anywhere in-between 1-2 years from hitting the screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is that the first show Netflix has actually canceled after one season? Normally they give 2 seasons out of the gate, don't they?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

MiddleOne posted:

On the other hand, it really sucks to catch an Amazon pilot and actually liking it because that show could be anywhere in-between 1-2 years from hitting the screen.

That's a silly complaint, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MiddleOne posted:

I think that's how HBO does stuff too. They apparently film a ton of pilots that never goes to series and Game of Thrones was almost on the chopping block because the execs hated the original pilot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's the normal way to do things. I think the Netflix execs became too convinced that everything Netflix makes is great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Almost every single network films their pilots way in advance. Amazon is just the only people that show you the pilot and pick it up based on how the feedback is. That's why it's always noted when a series is ordered straight to series because it means they've bypassed the pilot phase altogether.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

It's the normal way to do things. I think the Netflix execs became too convinced that everything Netflix makes is great.

Well to be fair the fact that it's actually notable when a series doesn't succeed under them like this is a pretty good argument that they're right.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

X-O posted:

Almost every single network films their pilots way in advance. Amazon is just the only people that show you the pilot and pick it up based on how the feedback is. That's why it's always noted when a series is ordered straight to series because it means they've bypassed the pilot phase altogether.

Yeah and look what we get when Amazon goes straight to series. That Woody Allen show which he hated making.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Is that the first show Netflix has actually canceled after one season? Normally they give 2 seasons out of the gate, don't they?

Nope. There's Residue and The Get Down. There's a decent argument to make that The Get Down actually got two seasons, since the first season was split into two separate instalments, but then there's still Residue.

X-O posted:

That's why it's always noted when a series is ordered straight to series because it means they've bypassed the pilot phase altogether.

I've noticed that being ordered straight to series is becoming increasingly common. Netflix does a lot of shows that way, and AMC started up a workshop system a couple of years ago where entire seasons of shows are ordered and written before anything is even filmed (The Son was one of these, and the upcoming Kirsten Dunst show, On Becoming A God In Central Florida, will be another). American Gods was a straight to series order, and three new HBO / HBO subsidiary series are going straight to series as well (The Deuce, Warrior and the new Alan Ball drama show).

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 26, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

On the other hand, wouldn't Amazon spend $100 million on pilots each year?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've noticed that being ordered straight to series is becoming increasingly common. Netflix does a lot of shows that way, and AMC started up a workshop system a couple of years ago where entire seasons of shows are ordered and written before anything is even filmed (The Son was one of these, and the upcoming Kirsten Dunst show, On Becoming A God In Central Florida, will be another). American Gods was a straight to series order, and three new HBO / HBO subsidiary series are going straight to series as well (The Deuce, Warrior and the new Alan Ball drama show).

I feel like taking a really big show idea and trying to make it representive on a budget is probably a little flawed. Like you can see 90% of a show in a pilot sometimes but with something like Game of Thrones or American Gods so much of it is in the production and cinematography and broader world that how are you really supposed to get that across in one episode on a limited budget? It sort of makes sense to me that a network would either sell a season on a big concept they really like or ask for a pilot if your pitch is less impressive like a sitcom but they want to see how it comes together.

Like, at some point making a good enough pilot to sell American Gods or Westworld has to cost enough time and effort that just making the season makes sense.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is Ray Donovan actually a good show? It's nominated for awards all the time but I don't know anyone who watches it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Is Ray Donovan actually a good show? It's nominated for awards all the time but I don't know anyone who watches it.

If you want a show about a fixer to the rich and famous, it's not that. It's about his stupid family drama.

Jon Voight was good in it, but I still gave up after the first season.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If you want a show about a fixer to the rich and famous, it's not that. It's about his stupid family drama.

Jon Voight was good in it, but I still gave up after the first season.
Sounds like I should just watch Shameless.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Ray Donovan and Nurse Jackie occupy this weird quantum state where I have never in my life encountered anyone who actually watches them yet they are always showing up on nomination lists.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
How is The Strain? I am thinking of catching up to watch the final season.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

swickles posted:

How is The Strain? I am thinking of catching up to watch the final season.
Don't.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. Great monster effects and stuff. Kinda interesting idea and setting. Pretty questionable writing and storytelling.

I think it can be a fun binge, especially if you think you'll appreciate the monsters and the idea of New York City under siege. But its not a very good TV show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ray Donovan is on showtime. There hasn't been a good show on showtime since like 1999.

That I know of.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shameless.

edit: Also Penny Dreadful and United Shades of Tara. But Shameless is all that's really important.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GDT directed the pilot episode of The Strain and it's pretty fun. The boss monster genuinely looks scary in it. There's only a handful of fun scenes for the rest of the series though, including a guy slowly turning into a vampire and at one point you hear his penis fall off.

Also this scene that takes place during the apocalypse.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Twin Peaks is on Showtime, right?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GreenNight posted:

Twin Peaks is on Showtime, right?
Yes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Like, at some point making a good enough pilot to sell American Gods or Westworld has to cost enough time and effort that just making the season makes sense.

This is the thinking that gave noted godawful show Terra Nova a full season. They spent 50 million on that wet fart.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 26, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Guy Mann posted:

Ray Donovan and Nurse Jackie occupy this weird quantum state where I have never in my life encountered anyone who actually watches them yet they are always showing up on nomination lists.
That or you listen to MBMBAM where Ray Donovan will come up from time to time

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But like, Terra Nova was garbage but that's mostly because it was all flash and lovely writing, right? So like, most pilots aren't going to tell you if the writers are going to poo poo the bed over a dozen or 22 episodes, although some may be SO bad that you put no faith in it. But then you have a show like this which probably had a pretty generic pilot writing wise and then was like "now imagine dinosaurs and spaceships and apocalyptic futures..." And someone realized that the sell was that stuff and if you were going to make that stuff you might as well just get your money's worth.

I sort of feel like the solution is "pilot seasons" where you have like 6-8 episodes that can maximize the cost of actors and effects and sets and give a sense of whether there's any actual story there.

American Gods seems like a sort of accidental version of that where people were kind of shaky on it through the short season but then by the end most people seem really jazzed for the show. Maybe Preacher is another example where if S1 had been half the length it would have worked as a much better "extended pilot" like that one article suggested it was.

That, and of course, expecting show runners to pitch more than just an idea like "dinosaurs" to you but also a fuller story picture.

But you're always going to end up with lovely shows or good ideas that fall apart. Its not my money they're wasting.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

achillesforever6 posted:

That or you listen to MBMBAM where Ray Donovan will come up from time to time

♫ I HOPE RAY DONOVAN NEVER DIES ♫

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If no one has ever seen twin peaks or david lynch tonight is a good intro

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobkatt013 posted:

If no one has ever seen twin peaks or david lynch tonight is a good intro
It'd either make you a Lynch fan forever or turn you off of him for life.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It'd either make you a Lynch fan forever or turn you off of him for life.

The same can probably be said for everything he's ever done.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

X-O posted:

The same can probably be said for everything he's ever done.
Well true, but he has several things that are more accessible than others. This is on the less accessible, more polarizing side.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
that might have been one of the greatest hours of television I've ever seen

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh poo poo, it's Field Trip, the grossest X-files episode.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The only people who get to go to heaven are Fred Rogers and David Lynch.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I watched 3/4 of the first episode so you don't have to: The Mist

:barf:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

wormil posted:

I watched 3/4 of the first episode so you don't have to: The Mist

:barf:

I watched all three. So far so bad. Seems very teen drama.

Is this meant to be an ongoing? Because I can't see it having enough plot to carry more than 10-12 episodes, unless they focus on other groups of people and recast every season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
twin peaks 308 best tv episode of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Medullah posted:

Is this meant to be an ongoing? Because I can't see it having enough plot to carry more than 10-12 episodes, unless they focus on other groups of people and recast every season.

The same thing was said about Under the Dome and they stretched that out to three seasons too.

• Locked thread