Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Corrode posted:

This bears out the rumours about Dark Imperium not being the "real" starter box - it looks like First Strike/Know No Fear are intended as what young kids will be directed towards, being cheaper and less overwhelming in terms of model count, or you can go all-in with Dark Imperium. Good strategy imo, it's a much better set-up.

Also I guess we found out what that single Primaris marine sprue is for.

Single Primaris spruce is for the intro painting/building sessions GW stores run. Before we only had dinky little Battle for Macragge era snapfits and they looks pretty garbo next to the Stormcast intro models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oh... Reivers are pretty much what I was expecting but I'm not sure I dig the whole stripped down look.

Ehh, it'll probably grow on me. Given that they're releasing all this with no mention of the codex I guess theyre going with the whole rules come with the model method in the mean time?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh boy, more primaris already!

quote:

Reivers

...what the gently caress??

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Reivers are goofy in the best way possible. I want some to paint up as Death Company Primaris.

The characters are both cool as gently caress, though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I kinda dig the new Reavers basically just having giant machetes, even if it feels weird seeing a Space Marine using a non-Power or chainsword weapon.

Also, was that basically confirmation that Black Templars are back to a more unique no-Psyker setup?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Now that everyone is so happy about new GW, it would be a fun twist to slowly realize, that they will be only releasing snap-fit kits from this point onwards.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Bear in mind these Reivers are only snap fits, guaranteed there will be a multipart box down the line, the Dark Imperium novel supposedly describes some as using Stalker-esque bolters with weaponised grapel-launchers underslug.

Don't like the stripped down shin armour on them, everything else looks fine on them imo.

The Bee posted:

I kinda dig the new Reavers basically just having giant machetes, even if it feels weird seeing a Space Marine using a non-Power or chainsword weapon.

Also, was that basically confirmation that Black Templars are back to a more unique no-Psyker setup?

I believe their list of available units in the Imperium 1 index doesn't list any psyker units.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Basically, FW don't even seem to understand the new points system or have someone to do the most basic proofreading. Sorry to be the stereotypical entitled geek consumer, but it is hard to believe they have the gall to publish things in this condition.

This is the 40k thread, the place for arguing about stupid 40k things. If you weren't posting like a stereotypical entitled geek consumer (whatever the gently caress THAT means) you wouldn't belong in this thread. Who the gently caress cares.

DJ Dizzy posted:

This post has everything I like about 40k. Entitled hams whining that their special snowflake models arent the best anymore, and lovely FW proofreading.

30k supremacy. 7.5 uber alles.

Jesus christ people just really love saying the word "entitled" don't they? Its quickly become the most common non-insult on the internet.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Those "suppressed" bolt pistols don't look suppressed at all.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I have been trying to figure out how to paint the primaris marnie's from dark imperium. I want to paint them as ultramarines and I want them to follow the chapter organizational rules and such but am not sure how exactly all the trims and stuff work with the new primaris marines. All the official GW pictures have them with gold trim which make them 2nd company I think? But they put things like Librarians in gold trim, which I don't see as being part of 2nd company. Also they put the new captain in gold trim, I thought the captain of the 2nd company was Cato? I know I "can paint my dudes however I want" but for this project I want to try and stay as close to possible with Ultramarine structure.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Aren't bolts little grenades? What's the point of suppressing that anyway

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

The Bee posted:

Black Templars had a "no psyker" restriction in their chapter tactics when they were folded into the SM codex in 7th. It's still there in the 8th edition index, so that isn't anything new.

Re: Reivers, it bothered me too but apparently it's just a old Scottish variant spelling of reaver.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
In the rulebook at the bottom of page 103 are those plague marines an existing kit? They turn up a few times in the book.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I have an idea, is it a terrible idea?

Deathwatch as troops, GK paladins as elites.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Artum posted:

In the rulebook at the bottom of page 103 are those plague marines an existing kit? They turn up a few times in the book.

If they're the dirty white coloured ones they're one of the studio designers' armies and a mix of Forge World upgrades, Possessed and CSM bits.

There is a new multi-part kit on the way allegedly tho.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SteelMentor posted:

Bear in mind these Reivers are only snap fits, guaranteed there will be a multipart box down the line, the Dark Imperium novel supposedly describes some as using Stalker-esque bolters with weaponised grapel-launchers underslug.

Don't like the stripped down shin armour on them, everything else looks fine on them imo.

I believe their list of available units in the Imperium 1 index doesn't list any psyker units.

I wouldn't be surprised if eventually we got Primaris with options, alongside multipart boxes. Also, goofy as it sounds, stealth marines with combat grapple guns sounds great. Paint them Imperial Fist colors and call them Scorpion.

Hell, all I can imagine is grappling an enemy commander into the woods so your other skull-faced buddies can knife the crap out of him. It's a beautiful image.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 25, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

If they're the dirty white coloured ones they're one of the studio designers' armies and a mix of Forge World upgrades, Possessed and CSM bits.

There is a new multi-part kit on the way allegedly tho.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ayn Marx posted:

Aren't bolts little grenades? What's the point of suppressing that anyway

Rocket-propelled shells

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Black Templars had a "no psyker" restriction in their chapter tactics when they were folded into the SM codex in 7th. It's still there in the 8th edition index, so that isn't anything new.

...did they? Are you sure? I don't play SMs but I could swear in 7th that BTs could get away with psykers all of a sudden. Maybe I missed that rule. Because before 7th it was a big deal that they couldn't.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Zaphod42 posted:

Rocket-propelled shells

...did they? Are you sure? I don't play SMs but I could swear in 7th that BTs could get away with psykers all of a sudden. Maybe I missed that rule. Because before 7th it was a big deal that they couldn't.

I feel like in 7th they got over their psyker hateboner, but it may have just been in the fluff and usage of things like astropaths.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I just looked it up; it says in 7th they can't take Librarians in Black Templars detachments but that's it. In previous versions I think it went further than that and there were problems with allied psykers too, but I haven't played SMs myself since like 5th edition. And that is something, not letting them have librarians.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like I saw an exception in the Librarian entry that prohibits them from taking Black Templars as their <CHAPTER>. But I don't have my book with me at the moment to confirm.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

PantsOptional posted:

Because they're "suppressed bolt" pistols. You just have to move the quotation mark over, like a goalpost!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah subsonic rockets with a lighter explosive charge or something.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I suppose that's where all the Night Lords seed went.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HardCoil posted:

Yeah subsonic rockets with a lighter explosive charge or something.

That wouldn't be suppressed really though. Like at all. (Yes, I am aware suppressed guns use subsonic rounds; explosives aren't the same thing mister!)

To be suppressed they'd have to give up the bolter principle and go back to like autoguns.

That raises the question though, what kind of ammo do scout sniper rifles shoot? Bolts?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

We are already thinking way harder about this than GW, so it's kind of futile.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

That raises the question though, what kind of ammo do scout sniper rifles shoot? Bolts?
No. Scout sniper rifles are some insane contraption that shoots a small laser to make a hole in an enemy's armor just in time for a toxic needle to penetrate and get into their bloodstream.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Safety Factor posted:

No. Scout sniper rifles are some insane contraption that shoots a small laser to make a hole in an enemy's armor just in time for a toxic needle to penetrate and get into their bloodstream.

What.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Hahahaha figures

Well, a hand-held laser/dart gun would work as a suppressed weapon for primaris better than subsonic bolters!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Don't know if you guys are interested in this sort of thing, but here's the first half of me painting my Warriors of Iron, a new and totally original space marine chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxHtZjKc3Nc

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Seriously.

Some 40k wiki found through google posted:

Astartes M40/A1 Pattern Sniper Rifle - The Codex Astartes states that a Space Marine must be schooled in every aspect of war, and this includes the use of weapon he may not necessarily go on to use as a fully-fledged Space Marine. The Sniper Rifle is such a weapon, and its use fits the tactical role of the Scout. The rifle fires a small dart made from a deadly neuro-toxin chemical. The liquid chemical is frozen into a dart or sliver within the gun before it is fired. Unerring accuracy is afforded by a low power beam of invisible laser-light which drives and guides the chemical dart to its target. If the target is armoured, the beam automatically pulses when the rifle is fired, punching a tiny hole which allows the toxic dart to penetrate.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I want to say this is exactly the kind of stupidity I like about 40k, but I think it loops around to being so stupid it just makes my head hurt.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Needle guns have been in 40k, like, forever. At least since 2nd, probably since RT.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Oh, no, the needle part is fine. I mean the perfectly coincidental timing of both the red-hot laser and the needle, just spread apart enough to avoid incinerating the needle but just close enough to let the needle make contact through a tiny gap in the armor.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 25, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That's how all 40k needle weapons work. It's nutty and awesome :toot:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My first 8E Space Marine List for assembly and painting.

1x Space Marine Captain in Gravis Armor
1x Primaris Lieutenant
18x Inceptors
10x Hellblasters

This is gonna be great!

18 x 6 is 108 heavy bolter shots a turn!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 25, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

dexefiend posted:

18 x 6 is 108 heavy bolter shots a turn!

Can they stop the gaunt hordes?????,

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

incinerating the laser
:thunk:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ayn Marx posted:

Can they stop the gaunt hordes?????,

108 shots hitting on 3+, wounding on 2+, against a 6+ save is 50 wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramak
May 15, 2013
Am I just being a bit dense in reading the Chaos codex or would I have to take Heldrakes in a separate detachment if I wanted to run Death Guard. Trying to workout how to fit my existing chaos with the fantastic Death Guard sculpts in the main box set.