Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
can anyone recommend a handheld receiver for listening to airband? I'm doing aerial work near an airport and need one to keep an ear out for any possible conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

There's a Field Day event in my city, that's the same weekend as Pride.

Hope they don't mind me making CQs in my glorious rainbow feather boa in the field, cause that's exactly what I'll be doing!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Qu Appelle posted:

There's a Field Day event in my city, that's the same weekend as Pride.

Hope they don't mind me making CQs in my glorious rainbow feather boa in the field, cause that's exactly what I'll be doing!

If you're not CQing from atop a float in a parade, you're doing it wrong.

You can disguise your antenna inside a giant papier-mâché penis.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you're not CQing from atop a float in a parade, you're doing it wrong.

You can disguise your antenna inside a giant papier-mâché penis.

Life goals.

I need to do this at some point.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Hi. First go at making some rat tails for my l'il radios.

They work! :toot:

Also, these wires (which I used) are very pretty; I might make lavender rat tails next. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N53QNPY

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Qu Appelle posted:

Also, these wires (which I used) are very pretty; I might make lavender rat tails next. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N53QNPY

hi, absentee slumlord here, did you guys want the thread title cha-

WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING TO CHINESE RADIOS

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

Now show me on the exploded diagram where he touched you, Billy.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

Qu Appelle posted:

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this, because otherwise I would have never learned what a rat tail was, and then would never have found this, from the inventor and patent holder of the rat tail!

http://www.radiant-beads.com/

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

aioli is just mayo posted:

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this, because otherwise I would have never learned what a rat tail was, and then would never have found this, from the inventor and patent holder of the rat tail!

http://www.radiant-beads.com/

"I have since added radon water baths to my therapy using an antique Revigator and the arthritis pain was reduced even further. I am now able to dance to rock music all night long."

I'm sold.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

I vote this be the new thread title.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Howdy, I figured I'd get a license and so went ahead and did today. Technician was easy, but I didn't really study and missed my general by one question :negative:

Oh well. Next time

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
Anyone do anything exciting for Field Day? A few months before FD, I like to dream of grand plans of climbing one of the many mountains in my area and have a day of field day glory all to my self, only to be dashed into reality by realizing that once again Ill have to work and have call that weekend. In the past, our local club has operated a F class station (Emergency operations center) outside of our county EOC. Since the weather is usually pretty good, not too hot with a nice breeze, this turns out to be a pretty good field day site. It's close to the hospital so I can usually sneak out for an hour or two and do a little operating. This year, the pack rats at the county EOC finally got their poo poo together and cleaned out the "ARES" office and installed an ancient HF radio they had in their for years (a Yaesu FT-757GX or something like that) and a "magical" longwire with a 9:1 balun. I figured this year I'd skip it because I didnt want to get stuck inside a small room with the ham BO stench and the fungus farm stench of the 500 lb local ham (that is, if he can find a ride that can handle getting him there). In the past, I've gone home in the evening and operated 1A for a bit just to get on the air, but with antenna issues at the QTH this year I wont even be able to do that. Let me live vicariously thru you field day glory.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

ReidRansom posted:

Howdy, I figured I'd get a license and so went ahead and did today. Technician was easy, but I didn't really study and missed my general by one question :negative:

Oh well. Next time

That's awesome for not studying. Keep with it and give it a go again, general opens up so much more than tech. Give extra a shot too. I did extra, but only for being a VE, I've never even operated in the extra subbands, though I did get a fancy 1x2 call off a dead guy so I can piss off all the "real" hams who had to take a code test and bitch about no coders ruining the hobby. Lest they forget that someday we'll be able to raid their shacks for pennies on the dollar when they have a MI or stroke and their wife's or kids want their radios out of the house.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Qu Appelle posted:

Now, that a lot of fancy colored wire that would be perfect for outfitting your ARES/RACES group's HTs for supporting a gay pride parade, but $25 for 50 ft of 18ga wire? In 5ft chunks no less so you get to waste a bunch? Go down to the Home Depot and get a 500 ft spool of white wire and a few cans of krylon in rainbow colors.and you can drat near buy another baofeng with the savings.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have set up an active antenna hooked up to a RTL-SDR. This is babbys first radio hobby stuff i am doing and i wonder how i can "read" morsecode with a program that can translate for me?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Michael Jackson posted:

I have set up an active antenna hooked up to a RTL-SDR. This is babbys first radio hobby stuff i am doing and i wonder how i can "read" morsecode with a program that can translate for me?

FLDIGI is a popular "Swiss army knife" of digital decoding. The interface is a little "open-source" but it's not terrible.

Be aware that most code is down in the HF bands where a stock RTLSDR can't tune. A "HamItUp" box solves that problem.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

FLDIGI is a popular "Swiss army knife" of digital decoding. The interface is a little "open-source" but it's not terrible.

Be aware that most code is down in the HF bands where a stock RTLSDR can't tune. A "HamItUp" box solves that problem.

i get a local norwegian 159k hertz station so i can hear things. My brother ordered a hamitup box thing. it converts megahertz or something higher. idk i havent read the ARRL Handbook 2013 yet so i dont know much about this (because it is huge and has so much mathematic beautiful mind equations).

edit: i got sdr to output to fldigi with some virtual sound cable thing and it works! I can see forever.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 25, 2017

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

eddiewalker posted:

The interface is a little "open-source" but it's not terrible.

Counterpoint: The interface is actually worse than hitler.

However, the commercial options with marginally better interfaces are hugely overpriced, so FLDIGI it is.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Totally Reasonable posted:

Counterpoint: The interface is actually worse than hitler.

FLDIGI is a wonderful UI compared to multipsk.

That is the ultimate in ham bad ui experiences.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

uli2000 posted:

Now, that a lot of fancy colored wire that would be perfect for outfitting your ARES/RACES group's HTs for supporting a gay pride parade, but $25 for 50 ft of 18ga wire? In 5ft chunks no less so you get to waste a bunch? Go down to the Home Depot and get a 500 ft spool of white wire and a few cans of krylon in rainbow colors.and you can drat near buy another baofeng with the savings.

Next time!

It was also stifling hot where I live, so I skipped Field Day altogether.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

razak posted:

FLDIGI is a wonderful UI compared to multipsk.

That is the ultimate in ham bad ui experiences.

i tried multipsk. it looks like what aliens use for FTL radio communication.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Ham Radio Deluxe was nice back in the day, but apparently they're bad people now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Pimblor posted:

Ham Radio Deluxe was nice back in the day, but apparently they're bad people now.

F those guys.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Pimblor posted:

It's great if you like the guy invalidating your serial key (which is required as the software phones home every time you want to use it) because you say something critical of him on the internet.

You just need to know you're paying for use of the software IF and ONLY IF you remain in the author's good graces.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
I don't know if anyone cares around here, but I was out driving around last week and ran across a Frederick, MD amature radio club just hanging out in a parking lot at Walmart. Along with their gear, they had a large antenna trailer they set up and a antenna that they raised up on a helium balloon.

Their command station. They had guys taking turns on the radio and recording who they were talking to and where that person was.

Their base camp. A large mast with to cables running from the tower to a light pole and a car. I didn't get a shot of the balloon antenna. Sorry.

I stopped by and chatted with them for a while. Really nice guys and answered all of my stupid questions. They were out there (if I remember correctly) for a 24 hour challenge to see how far they could reach and talk.

IndianaZoidberg fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 1, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Sniep posted:

It's great if you like the guy invalidating your serial key (which is required as the software phones home every time you want to use it) because you say something critical of him on the internet.

You just need to know you're paying for use of the software IF and ONLY IF you remain in the author's good graces.

that sounds so very very much like the kind of person who develops janky for-profit ham radio software

speaking of for-profit janky ham radio software, is MultiMode still a thing? it used to be ostensibly good but the author sort of sucks a lot

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
After searching for software for sdr i have the following setup:

fldigi
hdsdr
mixW
multipsk (lol)
sdrconsole 2.3
sdrsharp
sigmira
sorcerer
artemis for sigid

I really wish this was more accessible for noobs. I have ordered a telescope mast and i am saving for a discone antenna so i can cover most bands regarding RX.
I am also gonna read up and get a radio license (which i was informed is a FULL LICENSE in norway and some other countries have SHAREWARE LICENSES) :smug: :norway:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Sniep posted:

The idiot in question left the company. I won't say the company is now great and awesome, but getting rid of a cofounder (which probably means coming up with the personal cash to buy him out) isn't a small thing.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I don't know if anyone cares around here, but I was out driving around last week and ran across a Frederick, MD amature radio club just hanging out in a parking lot at Walmart. Along with their gear, they had a large antenna trailer they set up and a antenna that they raised up on a helium balloon.

Their command station. They had guys taking turns on the radio and recording who they were talking to and where that person was.

Their base camp. A large mast with to cables running from the tower to a light pole and a car. I didn't get a shot of the balloon antenna. Sorry.

I stopped by and chatted with them for a while. Really nice guys and answered all of my stupid questions. They were out there (if I remember correctly) for a 24 hour challenge to see how far they could reach and talk.

Wow small world, I live in Frederick but was out of town for vacation. I read they were setting up shop there for Field Day, glad they caught some attention!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hello, I'm looking to getting into this, but my big question...

how much does it cost to start?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

iospace posted:

Hello, I'm looking to getting into this, but my big question...

how much does it cost to start?

You can buy a $25 radio on amazon, or spend $50k on the fanciest radios and antennas on the market... What are you interested in?

Go to a local ham radio meet and find someone who wants to show you around their shack, see what other people are doing and see what interests you most. Every ham I've ever met has been super enthusiastic about getting new people into the hobby and will bend over backwards to help you out.

My thing with radio is tracking high altitude balloons. I work on the APRS tracking systems and have a laptop with an SDR in my car so I can have live tracks of where balloons are, landing predictions, etc. You aren't going to find what you want at first, but talk to enough people and see what they're up to, you'll find something cool.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I'd really suggest against Baofengs, though. Legitimate answer for low end would be about $150 for a handheld unit, I always personally recommend the Yaesu FT-60R as a "First Ham Radio" for new tickets.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm sort of getting into it because I did some DJing back in college, and the whole "broadcasting something that's your own" appeals to me.

Also talking to some random person cross town or however far you can broadcast is cool.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

iospace posted:

I'm sort of getting into it because I did some DJing back in college, and the whole "broadcasting something that's your own" appeals to me.

Also talking to some random person cross town or however far you can broadcast is cool.
With certain narrow exceptions (think RC planes, etc.), amateur radio operators are not allowed to broadcast (defined as one-way communication) at all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nmfree posted:

With certain narrow exceptions (think RC planes, etc.), amateur radio operators are not allowed to broadcast (defined as one-way communication) at all.

oh! Didn't know that

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

nmfree posted:

Which brings me to my favorite Technician Class Test Question of all time:

"T1D04 (A) [97.113(a)(4), 97.113(c)]
What is the only time an amateur station is authorized to transmit music?

A. When incidental to an authorized retransmission of manned spacecraft communications
B. When the music produces no spurious emissions
C. When the purpose is to interfere with an illegal transmission
D. When the music is transmitted above 1280 MHz"

The answer is A.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

iospace posted:

And as is pointed out in the Technician exam question above, no music either (unless you're retransmitting NASA). The FCC really really didn't want amateur radio to have a possibility of competing with commercial radio stations when they created those regulations.

With ham radio you're basically having a conversation with another ham with limited exceptions. That can be done with a hand-held radio locally usually using repeaters, although the repeater might be connected to other repeaters around the world with things like D-STAR reflectors. You can (sometimes) talk around the world using larger radios and much larger antennas depending on atmospheric conditions, and as the thread title says, there's also the motherfucking satellite(s) which can be done with a handheld radio and a weird antenna you hand point at where the satellite is passing overhead to talk over maybe a third of the earth.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The farthest I've done was picking up a transmission from either Tunis or Algeria while in California. It was probably a shortwave broadcast that somebody was broadcasting in the range the US has allocated to amateur HF. The signal was weak enough that I couldn't make out more than 1 in 5 words at the strongest, unfortunately.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Hi ham Goons. I've been interested in amateur radio for number of years (my uncle has a fancy-pants rig in southern Missouri), and this thread convinced me to look into reviving this interest. As my first radio/training wheels for the Tech test, I was thinking of buying this Baofeng radio (https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174MHz-400-520MHz/dp/B00MAULSOK/). Any thoughts or issues known about this system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

mycomancy posted:

Hi ham Goons. I've been interested in amateur radio for number of years (my uncle has a fancy-pants rig in southern Missouri), and this thread convinced me to look into reviving this interest. As my first radio/training wheels for the Tech test, I was thinking of buying this Baofeng radio (https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174MHz-400-520MHz/dp/B00MAULSOK/). Any thoughts or issues known about this system?

It's fine, but not great. Save some money and get a 5w version. The 8 watts doesn't really get you much extra range, but its more power than you generally want radiating right next to your skull.

https://www.miklor.com is the source for good reviews on this junk.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 9, 2017