Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are people who got all the summer cards before the fix still getting more cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Ganson posted:

I got Empyrion - Galactic Survival which is okay though the devs ruin a bunch of areas by spamming turrets pointlessly. Apparently the Multiplayer is neato with goons but I haven't gotten there yet.

7 Days to Die and Subnautica are both up for $10. Subnautica especially is a good buy, it just had a content update.

I really like Survival/Crash Landed games with stories. Wish I could find something else as good as Subnautica :-/

Have you tried The Forest?

*I actually haven't played it myself, but I heard good things. And the trailer looks good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
One of today's missions for worthless stickers is to earn an achievement in a game. How dare Valve pressure me to actually play the games I buy??? :argh:

Also FYI: Unlocking all of the stickers for a particular scene allows you to move and resize stickers on that scene, as well as use any stickers you have on it, on top of being able to display it on your profile for whatever reason. Of course a bunch of the stickers have voids to interact with the scene or other stickers, but I guess you can dump all the picnic food you want into a picture?

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

explosivo posted:

I ended up refunding Hollow Knight, I thought the controls were kind of floaty and unresponsive? It's probably in my head but I picked up Dead Cells instead and am enjoying that way more.
I played a couple hours with a gamepad and the controls seemed great. Maybe it's the face that your own attacks knock you back that bothers you?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bringing back an old effort-post of mine about Roguelikes, my favorite genre!

Roguelikes

Bionic Dues is down to 1.49$, and it's Arcen's weird unpolished game where you swap out different robots as you fight other robots. Worth a gander but you won't love it.

Caves of Qud is at 8.99$! Buy it! You all know the refrain by now, it's the classic post-apocalyptic mutant exploration game where you die to turrets, giant angry bears, and angry NPCs!

Crypt of the Necrodancer! 2.99$ for a beautifully designed roguelike where you dance as you kill your foes - it's wonderful, even if you have a bad sense of rhythm as I do.

Desktop Dungeons is 7.49$, and well - do you like having your brain fried as you try to solve puzzles? It's fascinating and difficult and elegant. *Do not get the goatperson DLC, I hear that class is an utter pain to play as, and only for advanced users.

Dungeonmans! Do you like fun? I like fun. It's 7.49$ for a pure dungeoncrawling experience. No funny plot to slow you down, no weird mutations to pick from, just a straightforward (yet cool) set of skills, your weaponry, and ever-more-powerful bees to kill. Good times. (The DLC is great, BUT do not get it unless you want to add difficulty sliders to the game, as it adds no other new content. The sliders are great and I love the new mechanics and customization, but it's for advanced players.)

Dungeons of Dredmor, a clunky classic for 2.49$. It's funny, its skill-tree hasn't been duplicated by anyone else yet, and it brought roguelikes to the mainstream. I also here there's a tiny tiny chance it might be getting a new patch or something? Fingers crossed!

One Way Heroics for 2.44$ (Add Plus edition for 2.59$!) - A weird yet cool game where you race across the kingdom to kill the Overlord before his creeping darkness swallows up everything. Plus Edition adds a TON of content and refinements to the game. There's an expensive remake that I'd pass on unless you really, really must have more of this game, too.

Sproggiwood. 4.49$ - no time for dungeon diving? New to the genre? This is the holy grail of accessible roguelikes. It's fun to play, cute to look at, and surprisingly vicious. Savage mode is no joke. Play it, and learn to hate twinned monsters!

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. For 1.29$..... you could do better. I'm sorry, but this game is terrible and I don't like it. It's one of the few sci-fi roguelikes, but DoomRL is free. Please play DoomRL instead.

ToME, one of the biggest roguelikes out there - listen. It's free at its website. What you are buying on steam is the upgraded fancy version. Worth it - I mean it's 2.37$ - but please go play the free version first. This game can be very offputting if you're not ready for it.

And then we get things I don't class as roguelikes in my steam library because I'm a nerd, but hey, they're good anyways!

FTL, THE game to play if you want to be captain kirk. Not a fan of the final boss, but you owe it to yourself to play at least one or two games of this. 2.49$

Spelunky is 2.24$ and it's the Indiana Jones experience. I mean I don't need to sell this one do I? Everyone knows it.

New Additions To This List

868-HACK, my favorite simple roguelike. It's almost an arcade game in how fiendishly simple it is. For 4.12$ it's one of the best on the list - carefully navigate a gauntlet of enemies as you collect weird/cool powerups and beat the game - then loop it, going as far down as you can before you die.

AuroraRL weird sci-fi roguelike for 0.74$ - it honestly feels like a game from the 80s or 90s? It's just... very weird, but there's a lot to do and it's cheap, so hey, check it out.

Morphblade - honestly it feels like a phone game. 2.49$ for a simple-yet-complex gauntlet of enemies where you upgrade the board itself with different tiles as you progress. I like it, it's by the Gunpoint guy, but it's not a deep game.

Risk of Rain, my new favorite Spelunky-esque game. 2.49$, has great dynamic difficulty and cool items - you try to clear five stages and their bosses before the timer reaches the insane difficulties, steadily getting stronger - or dying. I love it a lot!

MidBoss - alas, it's brand new so they couldn't do a sale, so it's a full 14.99$, but I like it. It's about possessing monsters and becoming them as you go through the dungeon. You learn skills from them, pick up new loot, and basically have a good pure roguelike experience. The devs are working on more improvements as we speak!

Summary

The absolute best things on this list are still Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, and Crypt of the Necromancer - and the best bargain is DoomRL, as it's free! Get these four, have a blast!

My goon you're a hero because I've been looking for a good roguelike to get into alongside Dungeonmans and CoQ. (Also Risk of Rain is loving amazing, I might reinstall now that you've brought it up)

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Ganson posted:

I really like Survival/Crash Landed games with stories. Wish I could find something else as good as Subnautica :-/

The Long Dark is getting a story mode August 1st and is also a really good survival game IMO. Also it's currently 60% off.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

McCoy Pauley posted:

Having just started Hollow Knight after putting a few hours into Dead Cells, I agree with you that HK feels floaty and less responsive than one might like. The aesthetic and the sound design are great, and I'll stick with it, but in comparison, Dead Cells feels incredibly tight and responsive in the controls -- it just handles exactly like I want a Metroidvania to handle.

Speaking of Dead Cells, anyone have any tips for defeating the second boss in order to get the second rune? Even when I've had pretty good runs and reach him with spare potion and decent weapons, he just annihilates me.

The second rune doesn't come from the Watcher, it comes from beating a sub-boss in the sewers.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

havenwaters posted:

Well Grim Dawn still exists. Titan Quest got redone for modern systems/resolutions and bug fix patches finished in March. There's that Van Helsing game but it's been around for a couple years. Diablo 3 still exists and the necromancer is coming out/just came out. That Median XL Mod to Diablo 2 had a huge update a couple months ago.

edit: Victor Vran, knew I forgot one of them. Glad Palpek brought it up.

The only one of those I haven't actually tried is the revamped Titan Quest, but that's because the original never really clicked for me.

Also, I'm that one goon who hated Victor Vran.

I feel like it's a genre that's been very quiet the past year or so, most of the action is in updates to games that are older, so I was wondering if maybe I'd just missed something cool come out.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I got all I need this sale, Everspace, Life is Strange, Hollow Knight, Dark Souls II and Sproggiwood.

Dark Souls II: buy it in the humble monthly, not on steam. 12 USD for DSII and some random games, if you haven't subscribe to humbel before you get another 10% off. I payed 10.80€ for DSII that way.

Also Roguelikes: If you want them for android, check the Humble Mobile Bundle: Roguelikes. It includes Sproggiwood and 8 others, I nabbed 9 android roguelikes for 5.26 USD.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

explosivo posted:

I ended up refunding Hollow Knight, I thought the controls were kind of floaty and unresponsive? It's probably in my head but I picked up Dead Cells instead and am enjoying that way more.
My initial thoughts on Hollow Knight, not very far into it at all, are that it controls exactly as responsive as it needs to be, nothing more and nothing less, which is both consistent and also kind of disappointing in its own way. Compared to something in the same realm, like Ori and the Blind Forest, HK's platforming and the feel of the movement doesn't have any kind of dynamism, the gamefeel is really utilitarian and neutral. I find myself wanting the movement to be just a little more fast and fluid, but that also doesn't really seem to jive with the pace and tone that the game is going for either... but perhaps that'll change at some point.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

PantsBandit posted:

The second rune doesn't come from the Watcher, it comes from beating a sub-boss in the sewers.

I'm not even sure who that first guy you mention is -- I must not have encountered him yet. I'm talking about the sewers guy. I guess I need to just keep buffing weapons.

As nice as the controls are in this game -- as tight as the jumping and combat are -- the lag time to drink your potion and be healed is getting annoying. I've definitely died several times to this sewer guy when it seemed like I had enough time to drink the potion and came up a few frames short.

Regardless Dead Cells continues to be great fun. I hope it sees regular updating.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobby The Rookie posted:

My initial thoughts on Hollow Knight, not very far into it at all, are that it controls exactly as responsive as it needs to be, nothing more and nothing less, which is both consistent and also kind of disappointing in its own way. Compared to something in the same realm, like Ori and the Blind Forest, HK's platforming and the feel of the movement doesn't have any kind of dynamism, the gamefeel is really utilitarian and neutral. I find myself wanting the movement to be just a little more fast and fluid, but that also doesn't really seem to jive with the pace and tone that the game is going for either... but perhaps that'll change at some point.

Jumping is faster for horizontal movement than standard walk/run.

Also OP, please change title to Summer Sales 2017: No, there are no Daily Deals any more. Stop asking

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Deformed Church posted:

Have any good Diablo style ARPGs come out that I might have missed over the past ~six months? Or should I just reinstlal path of exile and hope it doesn't take too much offense to my lovely lovely internet?

The new Diablo 3 expansion comes out in two days for $15 - you should give that a shot.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hollow Knight or Hyper Light Drifter? Or.... both?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Jumping is faster for horizontal movement than standard walk/run.

Also OP, please change title to Summer Sales 2017: No, there are no Daily Deals any more. Stop asking

Only mods can change thread titles. We're stuck with these questions forever

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm not even sure who that first guy you mention is -- I must not have encountered him yet. I'm talking about the sewers guy. I guess I need to just keep buffing weapons.

As nice as the controls are in this game -- as tight as the jumping and combat are -- the lag time to drink your potion and be healed is getting annoying. I've definitely died several times to this sewer guy when it seemed like I had enough time to drink the potion and came up a few frames short.

Regardless Dead Cells continues to be great fun. I hope it sees regular updating.

Oh, ok. Yeah with anything other than one of the big bosses you're going to want to hit them with CC. The other thing is looking for good combos. For example, a broadsword that does 2x damage leaves you vulnerable, but if you can freeze the guy first with an ice grenade you can nuke him before he can do anything.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Hopper posted:

I got all I need this sale, Everspace, Life is Strange, Hollow Knight, Dark Souls II and Sproggiwood.

Dark Souls II: buy it in the humble monthly, not on steam. 12 USD for DSII and some random games, if you haven't subscribe to humbel before you get another 10% off. I payed 10.80€ for DSII that way.

Also Roguelikes: If you want them for android, check the Humble Mobile Bundle: Roguelikes. It includes Sproggiwood and 8 others, I nabbed 9 android roguelikes for 5.26 USD.

Desktop dungeons for $1 is insane, everybody should jump on this, it's in cloud so even if you have a crappy phone you can play with any browser on a PC. It's also not really a roguelike and more a puzzle game mixed wih resource balancing, risk assesment and a town building metagame. It's great.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hollow Knight or Hyper Light Drifter? Or.... both?

BOTH

Do it, you won't regret it (they are also different games)

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Deformed Church posted:

Have any good Diablo style ARPGs come out that I might have missed over the past ~six months? Or should I just reinstlal path of exile and hope it doesn't take too much offense to my lovely lovely internet?

Path of Exile
Marvel Heroes 2016
Grim Dawn
Titan Quest Anniversary
Torchlight
Victor Vran
Van Helsing 2

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone in the US bought from this place? https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/pac-man-championship-edition-2-steam-key--3107-1

I could do some Pac-Man for a few bucks I think, but with the weird new gifting rules on steam I have concerns about buying codes from maybe not my region.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Hollow Knight, Ori, or both??

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Those 2 are probably the best metroidvanias on Steam.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ragequit posted:

The new Diablo 3 expansion comes out in two days for $15 - you should give that a shot.

Just to keep people from getting confused:

There is no expansion, it's just a single class for $15.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I got Domina last night, a sweary two fisted pixelly gladiator simulator, and it's amazing - completely berzerk presentation and almost grotesque physicality in the way your pixelmans hack at each other. It's like $5, definitely worth a look. Haven't played it more than ten minutes, but a work friend has and says it's really good.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
All this talk about Hollow Knight...definitely going to pick it up.

I'd recommend Enter the Gungeon for the sale. It's a Roguelike twinstick shooter with a SHMUP layer on top of it. Very fun, very hard, and I can see it taking a ton of hours to fully beat. Definitely worth the price. Soundtrack is pretty baller too.

Now that GTA V mods are re-enabled, also getting that too.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Everybody who's looking at Dead Cells, it appears to be 31% off at WinGameStore and you can get an extra 5% with the voucher code pcgames5off. Brings the total to about $11.09 with the code applied.

EDIT - I should mention, this deal appears to be for a Steam key.

EDIT #2 - Deal is dead.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 28, 2017

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Elman posted:

Those 2 are probably the best metroidvanias on Steam.

Is one better than the other...? I should choose one I think as I bet I won't play the other due to genre fatigue.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

McCoy Pauley posted:

Having just started Hollow Knight after putting a few hours into Dead Cells, I agree with you that HK feels floaty and less responsive than one might like. The aesthetic and the sound design are great, and I'll stick with it, but in comparison, Dead Cells feels incredibly tight and responsive in the controls -- it just handles exactly like I want a Metroidvania to handle.

I had to return hollow knight. It was a great game but for some reason the dying and losing my in game currency annoys me.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This made me do a double-take:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes, life is strange like that.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Just to keep people from getting confused:

There is no expansion, it's just a single class for $15.

Good call - it's a content pack I suppose. Some stuff for your account, stash tabs, character slots, wearable wings, etc.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Personally, I loved Hollow Knight but hated Ori. It's beautiful and all that, but I found the gameplay to be frustrating and dull - think I got stuck on an ice escape sequence later on in the game and just could not muster up motivation to continue.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

sebmojo posted:

I got Domina last night, a sweary two fisted pixelly gladiator simulator, and it's amazing - completely berzerk presentation and almost grotesque physicality in the way your pixelmans hack at each other. It's like $5, definitely worth a look. Haven't played it more than ten minutes, but a work friend has and says it's really good.

Yeah, I've been eyeing this one hard after seeing a two-hour stream of it. It's like pokemon but with gladiators and murder.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Trick Question posted:

Personally, I loved Hollow Knight but hated Ori. It's beautiful and all that, but I found the gameplay to be frustrating and dull - think I got stuck on an ice escape sequence later on in the game and just could not muster up motivation to continue.

Seconding this. Ori didn't feel like an exploration game, either - just a bunch of obstacle courses stapled together.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This is a quick post to recommend a game I stumbled across by pure chance a couple of days ago called I and Me. It's a fairly short puzzle platformer where you control two copies of yourself at once, both move, jump, etc. at the same time. It's got a very cute art style, amazingly lovely music, and a pretty decent number of levels, most of which are short and sweet. Nothing too taxing here, and you can hit h to get a guide to any given level, but it was a very enjoyable and relaxing escape here and there over the past few days.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Dead Cells and Subnautica are early access? I usually avoid early access simply due to the logic that however good a game in early access is now, it's usually going to be better later and it's not like we don't all have backlogs so there's plenty of other games I could play right now.

So how complete are Dead Cells and Subnautica?

Feel like I been waiting years for a lot of those survival crafting games to come out of early access. The Long Dark, The Forest, Subnautica, Rust, Ark, 7 Days to Die, etc. Wish they would hurry up and release already.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 26, 2017

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How's System Shock: Enhanced Edition (i.e. the first one) for someone who will be playing it for the first time? Too dated or holds up?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

Is one better than the other...? I should choose one I think as I bet I won't play the other due to genre fatigue.
They're fairly different, the 'Metroidvania' labeling for Ori is kind of inflated. Ori is more of a platforming challenge game with minor combat and puzzle elements, a Metroidvania style connected map, and an emphasis on item collection. The movement upgrades in it are tremendously satisfying and elevate the game, personally speaking.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mystic Stylez posted:

How's System Shock: Enhanced Edition (i.e. the first one) for someone who will be playing it for the first time? Too dated or holds up?

You might want to consider waiting on the the fancy new version they are working on.

http://systemshock.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mystic Stylez posted:

It's really good! There's mouselook now, so it works like a dream. I've been playing it and I love it a lot? It's got that old-school design with the big weird levels, and the combat's pretty fun for someone who isn't into FPSes. There is a remake in the works, but it looks to be less colorful, which is just a drat shame.

• Locked thread