Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

w00tmonger posted:

Good controls for a phone?

i thought the controls were good. i also thought the screen of my Nexus 5X was too small to play the game comfortably, but YMMV on that part of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, so I never bothered with it either during my days as a Sega Genesis owner, emulator, or even playing all of those games via Steam, but is Kid Chameleon supposed to be good? Jesus :psyduck:

I mean, Altered Beast is pretty lackluster, but I at least remember that enough that nostalgia helps it along a bit, but goddamn, Kid Chameleon.
Kid Chameleon is one of those unsung gems like StarTropics. Games that were way ahead of their time and nobody had a copy of.

It was basically Kirby before kirby was a thing.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I feel that way about comix zone. That game was so awesome to 9 year old me

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The free Sega apps require your Google Play demographic information and email address if you want to save your game lolllllll

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

coyo7e posted:

Kid Chameleon is one of those unsung gems like StarTropics. Games that were way ahead of their time and nobody had a copy of.

It was basically Kirby before kirby was a thing.

Well, it certainly doesn't seem like that. I'll give it some more time but it seems very rote, in a world with Mario and Sonic. Platformers like Ristar I love, they did something incredible with that one.

Edit: I'd love officially released NES games on Android, but that'll never happen; SEGA really does what Nintendon't.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

NES games have been rereleased on non-Nintendo platforms before (like on Gametap).

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, it certainly doesn't seem like that. I'll give it some more time but it seems very rote, in a world with Mario and Sonic. Platformers like Ristar I love, they did something incredible with that one.

Edit: I'd love officially released NES games on Android, but that'll never happen; SEGA really does what Nintendon't.

The costume changing was novel at the time but it's a pretty lovely platformer overall. Wide berth.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The free Sega apps require your Google Play demographic information and email address if you want to save your game lolllllll

Are you from the past?

How else do you expect to pay for the free stuff?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

What are some decent match 3 puzzle quest style games? Im feeling a craving for pattern matching

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Moreau posted:

What are some decent match 3 puzzle quest style games? Im feeling a craving for pattern matching

Gems of War and WarGames comes to mind

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Moreau posted:

This was linked here not long ago, have not checked it out myself yet but reviews seem promising:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smallgiantgames.empires

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Noticed that Knights of Pen and Paper +1 is half off:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.com.beholdstudios.knightspp

Noticed that there's IAPs for ingame currency, not a big fan of that in games that already cost money but ymmv.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goons have started figuring out how to dual-box and we're starting to do well in Lineage 2 Revolution (download link to apk https://apkpure.com/lineage-2-revolution/com.netmarble.revolutionthm ), it's a good time to hop on if you want to play it but were on the fence, we've got 2 goon guilds going right now and space for a dozen or so more people to join.. Message me (ceejay) or clan leader zotics in-game if you want to join up, we will lower the level requirement to like level 10, which takes about 20 minutes to reach. I don't think we particularly need any classes however, archers and dual-wield warriors are basically the rouge class of this game, although dual-wield warriors are really good at training a big pile of elite monsters onto someone who's AFK and left their character autofight-grinding, and getting them quickly killed :laugh: .

Mages are really fun because their basic attack is a chain lightning ability, and you can also find a vampiric staff (staff of flames) pretty easily which saves a ton of money on potions (but you will need to do a little bit of kiting as a mage, on some tougher boss and miniboss fights, just to buy time until your heal potion timer refills.) Each race has a unique pair of specializations for each class, so make sure you do a little quick googling on what you want to play as, not all the specs are what you might expect, there are melee-range mages and HoT or DoT mages, slow-firing and fast-firing sniper archers, etc.. Melee warriors and rogues tend to blow through soul-shot ammo fastest, if you're not into buying refills of special ammo you might not focus on those.

There's also a couple of The Infinite Black goons playing already, if you had a good time steamrolling pubs you might check this game out - you can pretty much just leave it to play itself all night with Bluestacks, which is nice since you have a ton of money and items laying around when you come on to play.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 24, 2017

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is TIB still being played, I remember back when we stramrolled some guys with shuttles way back in the day many years ago.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
IIRC, the devs kept changing poo poo we figured out how to abuse, then pubby whales started using our tactics as well, and most goons got sick of trying to re-invent the wheel and moved on after it got out of hand trying to keep up with changes while being under siege by a ton of other clans (also the UI was loving atrocious in huge battles, which was what we specialized in). It was fun while it lasted though!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Kid chameleon has hundreds of levels, different warp whistle paths, secret areas and blocks. The powers after the 3rd level get pretty cool, you can use diamond powers from the start menu.

On the first lava level you can get a tornado man and fly through the next several levels until you get hit 3 times, every power up besides rhino and climber is better than Mario ones :colbert:

I never did beat it though. You can warp to the last boss from the second stage somehow, but you won't have enough lives.

One of the few games I try and speedrun even though I'm terrible at platformers, I wish they added shinobi iii

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Kid chameleon has hundreds of levels, different warp whistle paths, secret areas and blocks. The powers after the 3rd level get pretty cool, you can use diamond powers from the start menu.

On the first lava level you can get a tornado man and fly through the next several levels until you get hit 3 times, every power up besides rhino and climber is better than Mario ones :colbert:

I never did beat it though. You can warp to the last boss from the second stage somehow, but you won't have enough lives.

One of the few games I try and speedrun even though I'm terrible at platformers, I wish they added shinobi iii

I appreciate this post. I'll give it another shot, I really will.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I confused Keith Courage with Kid Chameleon there for a second and then found myself on wikipedia

"The TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine was a collaborative effort between Hudson Soft, who created video game software, and NEC, a major company which was dominant in the Japanese personal computer market"

learn something new

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kid Chameleon is one of those platformers of the era that is janky as gently caress and doesn't feel half as good as any of the more popular platformers of the era, but it also has an absurd amount of content and a ton of cool fun ideas. It's basically a game that has a high amount of jank you have to get through to enjoy, but if you can manage, you'll find a ton there.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Sega tried telling me to use the wallclimber helmet to climb walls via android notification, stay classy, I turned all notifications off via app settings.

I got like 12 classic Sega games for $2 on steam awhile back but it doesn't have any sort of netcode so I can't relive my childhood with my brother.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Incessant Excess posted:

This was linked here not long ago, have not checked it out myself yet but reviews seem promising:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smallgiantgames.empires

Gave this a shot. The puzzle fighting was fine. But it has random character card drops and a city build wait-an-hour for you barracks to be done bullshit thats not my bag.

I was playing Good Knight story but I hit a pay wall. Looking for a replacement. In puzzle fightin

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Re Realm Grinder: how substantial is the assistance from the Gift of Kings? I already have heroes--because 5 bucks is easy to throw at a game I'd been spending days on. I'm considering getting the next upgrade (which costs :10bux:, tripling the value I put into it), and I'm not a min/max whore by any stretch but I'm about to do reincarnations and if they make things that much easier (or rather, smoother/more time efficient), then I'm willing to chip in extra.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a Puzzles and Dragons like game that people would recommend? Specifically looking for something where you can move pieces freely rather than have em move just one spot like Bejeweled or Candy Crush. Puzzles and Dragons is sadly not available in my region.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a Puzzles and Dragons like game that people would recommend? Specifically looking for something where you can move pieces freely rather than have em move just one spot like Bejeweled or Candy Crush. Puzzles and Dragons is sadly not available in my region.

You can sideload the APK file, which is what I have to do since I live in Europe. You have to do it every time they do major updates, but it's not terribly inconvenient. I usually use https://apkpure.com/puzzle-dragons/jp.gungho.padEN for downloading it.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

Morter posted:

Re Realm Grinder: how substantial is the assistance from the Gift of Kings? I already have heroes--because 5 bucks is easy to throw at a game I'd been spending days on. I'm considering getting the next upgrade (which costs :10bux:, tripling the value I put into it), and I'm not a min/max whore by any stretch but I'm about to do reincarnations and if they make things that much easier (or rather, smoother/more time efficient), then I'm willing to chip in extra.

it means you don't have to wait to align with neutral factions anymore. it's an incredible time saver.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Incessant Excess posted:

If you don't mind that you have to move it freely in the same row/column, 100000000 and the sequel You Have To Build a Boat are really good.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

Goons have started figuring out how to dual-box and we're starting to do well in Lineage 2 Revolution (download link to apk https://apkpure.com/lineage-2-revolution/com.netmarble.revolutionthm ), it's a good time to hop on if you want to play it but were on the fence, we've got 2 goon guilds going right now and space for a dozen or so more people to join.. Message me (ceejay) or clan leader zotics in-game if you want to join up, we will lower the level requirement to like level 10, which takes about 20 minutes to reach. I don't think we particularly need any classes however, archers and dual-wield warriors are basically the rouge class of this game, although dual-wield warriors are really good at training a big pile of elite monsters onto someone who's AFK and left their character autofight-grinding, and getting them quickly killed :laugh: .

Mages are really fun because their basic attack is a chain lightning ability, and you can also find a vampiric staff (staff of flames) pretty easily which saves a ton of money on potions (but you will need to do a little bit of kiting as a mage, on some tougher boss and miniboss fights, just to buy time until your heal potion timer refills.) Each race has a unique pair of specializations for each class, so make sure you do a little quick googling on what you want to play as, not all the specs are what you might expect, there are melee-range mages and HoT or DoT mages, slow-firing and fast-firing sniper archers, etc.. Melee warriors and rogues tend to blow through soul-shot ammo fastest, if you're not into buying refills of special ammo you might not focus on those.

There's also a couple of The Infinite Black goons playing already, if you had a good time steamrolling pubs you might check this game out - you can pretty much just leave it to play itself all night with Bluestacks, which is nice since you have a ton of money and items laying around when you come on to play.

I have Memu installed to run TMR macros for FFBE so I installed this and gave it a go. It's pretty and very easy to play, so much so it's more like a slightly interactive idler. Reaching L10 took over an hour but I was hardly in a rush, reading the text and fiddling with things. Is there a thread for this or aren't that many people playing it? And has someone made macros for it? I leave FFBE running over night so leaving a second memu with this going wouldn't be any trouble.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Lineage 2 Revolution thread is here. Come on over!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

binge crotching posted:

Does the humble bundle still require you to download the apk and manually install them?

There's a humble bundle app that removes some of the pain of this process

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

some old versions of the Humble app would just plop the APK files in a folder on your phone filesystem, so if you use it might be good to check and make sure there aren't a bunch of them hanging around there

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Usually they threw them in sdcard\Downloads\humblebundle

It still does, but after it's installed it deletes the .apk file.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

some old versions of the Humble app would just plop the APK files in a folder on your phone filesystem, so if you use it might be good to check and make sure there aren't a bunch of them hanging around there

It also does that thing where it doesn't let you install stuff if you have a screen overlay on

I just want to use Lux in peace goddamnit :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Go RV! posted:

It also does that thing where it doesn't let you install stuff if you have a screen overlay on

I just want to use Lux in peace goddamnit :argh:

I mean, I know it's annoying, but disable your overlay, install, re-enable overlay. If you're using Twilight, which I recommend, it's a quick tap from its own notification.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
drat this addictive game!
Battlevoid: Harbinger is 75% off for a price of 0.99CAD right now.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

IAmTheRad posted:

drat this addictive game!
Battlevoid: Harbinger is 75% off for a price of 0.99CAD right now.

I've had this game for quite a while now and it is a lot of fun. It's basically a sci-fi roguelike in the sense that you are piloting your ship through a series of randomly generated maps fighting randomly generated enemies. Each map has an enemy race, and while some of them are harder than others, they are all unique.

Bugbyte is also coming out with a new game sometime soon, I haven't really been following it too closely but it looks like it could be pretty fun.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does the game need a controller and/or a tablet sized screen to be enjoyable?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Incessant Excess posted:

Does the game need a controller and/or a tablet sized screen to be enjoyable?

Battlevoid Harbringer? It's completely fine on a phone sized touch screen. There's very little 'controlling' you need to do. weapons/fighters/bombers are automated and will target enemies within range, so the only thing you really you need to worry about in battles is positioning.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the quick response, I'll be checking this out then.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is there any way to filter games that don't need to connect online, outside of patches and updates? I just want a game to fiddle around on the tube and not get stuck trying to regain connection every 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Is there any way to filter games that don't need to connect online, outside of patches and updates? I just want a game to fiddle around on the tube and not get stuck trying to regain connection every 5 seconds.

For my regional Play-store I get to choose "Games" then scroll down to "No wifi no problem"-section.