Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

dancingbears posted:

I just sent off a bug report to Team Cherry, but I thought this was funny so I'd share. See, I've run in to the problem of the penultimate boss, The Hollow Knight, being a little too hollow. He's kind of, uh, completely invisible. It's a rough fight when you can only tell where your opponent is from where they land or where they're attacking! I took a screencap of it roaring for the title card; that's it in the center of the orange glow on the right.

yeah wow thats weird. only bug i've experienced is movement being limited/sluggish after charging a nail art
kinda sabotages my trial of fools run D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I've been seeing this game featured on the steam sale and it looks really interesting, a couple of questions though: Since this is a game about bugs, on a scale of 1 to AHHHH, how "spidery" is it? Second, I've skimmed through the thread and saw a lot of complaining about some platforming area (White Palace) being really hard, how hard are we talking compared to lets say Shovel Knight or the light world Super Meat Boy levels?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I've been seeing this game featured on the steam sale and it looks really interesting, a couple of questions though: Since this is a game about bugs, on a scale of 1 to AHHHH, how "spidery" is it? Second, I've skimmed through the thread and saw a lot of complaining about some platforming area (White Palace) being really hard, how hard are we talking compared to lets say Shovel Knight or the light world Super Meat Boy levels?

There are spiders and they are scary. The majority of the game doesn't have an overtly creepy vibe though.

White Palace is frustrating but I got through it, and I'm terrible at platformers. It's also optional.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

They put these platforming challenges more and more the further down you go into the game. The white palace is just the culmination of it, and it feels pretty fair.
super meat boy is harder and more frantic.

Jedah posted:

Nice. I grabbed the hiveblood charm after you suggested it, but I did not enjoy killing those cute little bees. :qq:

those bees had it coming. stupid driller bees..
Did you get the shard from the breakable wall by the way? it's kinda tricky.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
White Palace is fairly challenging but not extremely so. If I tried to compare it... I'd probably say SMB light world 3 mechanical difficulty, except that you have to go significantly longer on your limited HP, without checkpoints. The good news is that there is a certain mechanic in the game that allows you to bypass the risk of dying (with the drawback that it takes longer).

Most areas aren't "spidery" at all, but there is this one area... it's big, it's non-optional, it's dark and confusing, there's loads of skittering sounds, and it's one of few areas in the game where enemies can just appear out of nowhere. Find a video showing the Deepnest, while keeping in mind that it's way worse than at least 80% of the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Got the game on sale, so far it's pretty good! A bit easy but I guess the platforming's going to get a little annoying based on the last page.

e: Looks like there's alternate endings? I assume you can get one a save file, no going back after beating it?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Got the game on sale, so far it's pretty good! A bit easy but I guess the platforming's going to get a little annoying based on the last page.

e: Looks like there's alternate endings? I assume you can get one a save file, no going back after beating it?

Nope, you can go back after getting an ending, and there's no way to lock off an ending, so don't worry too much about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pigbuster posted:

Nope, you can go back after getting an ending, and there's no way to lock off an ending, so don't worry too much about it.

Cool thanks!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Pigbuster posted:

Isn't there? You can't get the first ending after you break the Kingsoul and get the Void Heart, so you should set aside some time to kill the final boss when you're nearing the end of the game.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

dancingbears posted:

Isn't there? You can't get the first ending after you break the Kingsoul and get the Void Heart, so you should set aside some time to kill the final boss when you're nearing the end of the game.

Eh.

ending spoilers.
It only matters if you are a completion-ist and want every achievement. And in that case you have to go through the game twice anyways cause of the Zote/Nailsmith ones, let alone steelsoul and the speed run ones.

Content wise, the first and the "second" endings are almost identical. The only difference is Hornet is with you in the 2nd ending but the same events/cutscenes play otherwise. So I think it's better to tell people not to worry so they don't have that fear of locking themselves out of something good in the back of their minds. It's better to have fun exploring and do what you want in this game.

in short though.
Don't worry about locking yourself out of anything.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 24, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

To anyone who got stuck in White Palace: Did you know that you could pogo off the spikes by attacking downwards? Doing that probably alleviated a lot of the difficulty for me.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Augus posted:

To anyone who got stuck in White Palace: Did you know that you could pogo off the spikes by attacking downwards? Doing that probably alleviated a lot of the difficulty for me.

There's actually a few segments that are wholly skippable by bouncing off the spear-looking obstacles.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Wild Horses posted:

those bees had it coming. stupid driller bees..
Did you get the shard from the breakable wall by the way? it's kinda tricky.
Yeah those driller bees were jerks. I made sure to grab the shard, good call there, thanks.

Any advice for the second encounter of Crystal Peak's Crystal Guardian? Maybe I should grab a Nail upgrade and visit him later. His attacks happen quickly and Beam Strike covers a big portion of the room, making it very difficult to heal.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 25, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Augus posted:

I didn't know this until after I'd beaten the entire game cause its never something you have to do. I knew you could pogo off enemies but I just assumed that wouldn't work on spikes cause otherwise you'd be able to trivialize some platforming.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jedah posted:

Yeah those driller bees were jerks. I made sure to grab the shard, good call there, thanks.

Any advice for for the second encounter of Crystal Peak's Crystal Guardian? Maybe I should grab more upgrades and visit him later. His attacks happen quickly and Beam Strike covers a big portion of the room, making it very difficult to heal.

Don't heal, just stack up blue health as high as you can with the charm that increases i frames after damage and go to town on him with your nail and spells. If he is about to hit you with a beam, walk into him, it only does 1 damage vs the beam which does 2. If you have upgraded dash it makes the fight a lot easier because you can just dodge through him every time he starts to charge a beam and smack him around from behind.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

skasion posted:

Don't heal, just stack up blue health as high as you can with the charm that increases i frames after damage and go to town on him with your nail and spells. If he is about to hit you with a beam, walk into him, it only does 1 damage vs the beam which does 2. If you have upgraded dash it makes the fight a lot easier because you can just dodge through him every time he starts to charge a beam and smack him around from behind.

Thanks, solid advice, and yeah, I love Stalwart Shell charm, too. I'll grab the dodge upgrade & Nail upgrade and come visit him again.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

dancingbears posted:

Ah, yeah, I wasn't thinking of locking off the basic ending; yeah you can do that.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't know this until after I'd beaten the entire game cause its never something you have to do. I knew you could pogo off enemies but I just assumed that wouldn't work on spikes cause otherwise you'd be able to trivialize some platforming.

There's actually a ton of spots where you can get stuff before having dash or double jump just by bouncing across spikes. I'm pretty sure there's a spike-jumping spot to reach grub too?
It doesn't work on all spikes - stuff like the thorns in greenpath/gardens. You can always check by slashing with your nail and if they clink and bounce you back, they're a viable bouncing type.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Well, this is intensely frustrating. I randomly lost all my geo after my game crashed. I had about 2500.

Any way to get it back? It took me a lot of time to collect all of it and I was on my way back to the city to spend it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Well, this is intensely frustrating. I randomly lost all my geo after my game crashed. I had about 2500.

Any way to get it back? It took me a lot of time to collect all of it and I was on my way back to the city to spend it.

Cheatengine?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The controls aren't tight enough. If I wanted this style gameplay I'd play it in a game that did it better.

Then why were you doing it?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Jedah posted:

Any advice for the second encounter of Crystal Peak's Crystal Guardian? Maybe I should grab a Nail upgrade and visit him later. His attacks happen quickly and Beam Strike covers a big portion of the room, making it very difficult to heal.

Middle of the room seemed safe, just dont get hit by his beam poo poo. I powered through him the same way described earlier. Quick slash greatly increases damage, as long as you land behind him. Go into the fight knowing Its hard to heal and you should be good.

enraged_camel posted:

Farm the moss knights in greenpath, cash in on any grubs you got, sell off any relics you have to that dude in city of tears

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 25, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

After dying what must have been fifty times at the Soul Master and being forced to retread the same path to my shade, I am officially giving up.

The whole "if you die you resurrect miles away and if you die again before grabbing your shade you lose all your money, oh and by the way your shade is hostile" mechanic is rage-inducing. It doesn't help that enemies respawn every time you visit an area, so you end up having to fight/dodge the same things over and over and over every time you die, just to have a chance at recovering your hard-earned money.

It's a shame because the game is pretty unique and fun otherwise. I guess in my old age I no longer have the patience for bullshit game mechanics that kick the player when they are down.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

After dying what must have been fifty times at the Soul Master and being forced to retread the same path to my shade, I am officially giving up.

The whole "if you die you resurrect miles away and if you die again before grabbing your shade you lose all your money, oh and by the way your shade is hostile" mechanic is rage-inducing. It doesn't help that enemies respawn every time you visit an area, so you end up having to fight/dodge the same things over and over and over every time you die, just to have a chance at recovering your hard-earned money.

It's a shame because the game is pretty unique and fun otherwise. I guess in my old age I no longer have the patience for bullshit game mechanics that kick the player when they are down.

Soul Master is a major spike in difficulty from what comes before. If it helps, he is an optional boss and you can come back after you've gained more upgrades. That's actually what I did the first time cause I was doing pretty terrible as well.

Just getting another nail upgrade alone makes him much easier.

Also don't worry too much about the money. The game throws tons of geo at you and there are actually only a few ways to spend it. So it's not actually that bad to lose all your money.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 25, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah for reference I had sometrhing like 20k geos at the end of the game, partly because there's so many geo pinatas latter and if I wanted to I probably could have spent <30 minutes farming and get another 5k+ easily, and I just wasn't dying either, and theres not a lot/anything to spend it on.

So imo don't fret about lost geos and try to get geos back. Soul Master is definitely hard, and optional, but like he mentioned, get a nail upgrade and it helps a lot.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I don't know where else to go though. I was exploring and found myself in the Soul Temple or whatever, and I think it was the only place I could access after finishing the fungus area. The game doesn't provide any direction in terms of "to access this area you need X item/upgrade/whatever, which you can get in such and such zone" so I spend a lot of time wandering around aimlessly. (For reference, I'm comparing it to Ori and the Blind Forest, which not only provides such directions, but also has a coherent story so you know what you need to do next and why you need to do it.)

Maybe I'm playing it wrong. Am I supposed to be looking at the wiki a lot?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Am I missing something about Soul Master, because I'm a decent way through the game (got the first ending, just got the Shade Cloak now too) and compared to most of the other bosses in the game, Soul Master has windows to heal that you can drive a truck through.

I admit to dying to his fakeout the first time, but that was it.

What's meant to be the hard part of him?

edit:
also, you know the closest bench to Soul Sanctum? It's actually right next to a breakable wall that you can break if you're on the other side of it in Soul Sanctum when you check your map.

double edit: also he's not really 'optional' since if you don't do him ASAP then I guess your only real choice of where to go next is Deepnest which is not the best idea, when Soul Master gives you the Ground Pound which gives you access to Crystal Peak, which leads to a super-important mobility upgrade for accessing more areas.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 26, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

I don't know where else to go though. I was exploring and found myself in the Soul Temple or whatever, and I think it was the only place I could access after finishing the fungus area. The game doesn't provide any direction in terms of "to access this area you need X item/upgrade/whatever, which you can get in such and such zone" so I spend a lot of time wandering around aimlessly. (For reference, I'm comparing it to Ori and the Blind Forest, which not only provides such directions, but also has a coherent story so you know what you need to do next and why you need to do it.)

Maybe I'm playing it wrong. Am I supposed to be looking at the wiki a lot?

I also had some moments when I didn't know where I *should* go next, but it surprises me that you say you think it's the only place you can access. Maybe list the stag stations you can reach and we'll see if there are any missing? Alternatively take a screenshot of your full-map (this took me ages to figure out, when you're looking at the map inside your inventory, you can zoom out for a "big" map showing the various zones).

And it occurs to me now, I *think* whatever objective you have is marked on that zoomed out map. For most of the game you'll be working on the one objective that has three branches (being intentionally vague here for spoilers). Can you see them?

Edit: re: the post right above. I get why people might be squeamish about Deepnest, but it did feel like it wasn't hugely difficult on a purely mechanical basis, and it's big and has multiple good things in it (including the tram pass). Another area which I think you might be able to reach now is walking back the way you came when you started the game

Dancer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 26, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Am I missing something about Soul Master, because I'm a decent way through the game (got the first ending, just got the Shade Cloak now too) and compared to most of the other bosses in the game, Soul Master has windows to heal that you can drive a truck through.

I admit to dying to his fakeout the first time, but that was it.

What's meant to be the hard part of him?

edit:
also, you know the closest bench to Soul Sanctum? It's actually right next to a breakable wall that you can break if you're on the other side of it in Soul Sanctum when you check your map.

double edit: also he's not really 'optional' since if you don't do him ASAP then I guess your only real choice of where to go next is Deepnest which is not the best idea, when Soul Master gives you the Ground Pound which gives you access to Crystal Peak, which leads to a super-important mobility upgrade for accessing more areas.

People are prone to panic when fighting him because it's a pretty long run back even with the shortcut, and also because he's the first boss that you really need to know how to avoid projectiles to beat. False Knight and Hornet can be beaten with spacing or just brute force even if you don't really understand how to dodge their attacks, but if you take on Soul Master without an appreciation for air control and fooling projectile tracking, he will just kick your rear end forever.

His fakeout is a pretty dirty trick too, but once you get to that stage you usually have the fight down.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dancer posted:

I also had some moments when I didn't know where I *should* go next, but it surprises me that you say you think it's the only place you can access. Maybe list the stag stations you can reach and we'll see if there are any missing? Alternatively take a screenshot of your full-map (this took me ages to figure out, when you're looking at the map inside your inventory, you can zoom out for a "big" map showing the various zones).

Map:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You have four options that I can see.

1) Beat the Soul Master, get a new powerup.
2) Go to the bottom of the Mantis Village for another boss fight that gives one of the best charms in the game and unlocks access to another zone.
3) Use a Simple Key (there are two available by now, one sold by Sly and the other sitting around in the City of Tears) at room to the left of the big fountain to unlock access to the Royal Waterways
4) Sell whatever relics you have to Lemm and buy a Lumafly Lantern, giving you access to Crystal Peak.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Also probably the most important thing to do is to upgrade your weapon at the blacksmith back down in the city.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

You have four options that I can see.

1) Beat the Soul Master, get a new powerup.
2) Go to the bottom of the Mantis Village for another boss fight that gives one of the best charms in the game and unlocks access to another zone.
3) Use a Simple Key (there are two available by now, one sold by Sly and the other sitting around in the City of Tears) at room to the left of the big fountain to unlock access to the Royal Waterways
4) Sell whatever relics you have to Lemm and buy a Lumafly Lantern, giving you access to Crystal Peak.

By the way, 2 is harder to do than 1. But 3 and 4 are perfectly solid options on where to go next if you aren't comfortable with boss fights.

And yeah it's not that Soul King is impossible. He's a decent fight but his difficulty depends on how good you are with the mechanics of the game, you can't really cheese him the way you can with previous fights and it's really easy to panic during that fight. It's the length of the fight that's a problem more than anything else. Add in the lengthy run back and it can be an easy source of early game frustration.

But if you leave him alone a while and come back, even without upgrades you'll probably have practiced enough to be able to maneuver around him pretty well.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

My tip for Soul Master early on is to be patient with when you hit him, and only take safe hits. There's no clock so just chill out at like the left side and take your time. You can get yourself in trouble if you just try to flail at him and move too much.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

skasion posted:

People are prone to panic when fighting him because it's a pretty long run back even with the shortcut, and also because he's the first boss that you really need to know how to avoid projectiles to beat. False Knight and Hornet can be beaten with spacing or just brute force even if you don't really understand how to dodge their attacks, but if you take on Soul Master without an appreciation for air control and fooling projectile tracking, he will just kick your rear end forever.

His fakeout is a pretty dirty trick too, but once you get to that stage you usually have the fight down.

Soul Master only really has two projectile attacks though, that I remember. One is a really lazy low-tracking lob at you that you can just walk around, and the other is him slowly flying across the room while his projectiles orbit him. And that second one is just a huge window to heal if you need it since he'll always go the full length of the room, so there's plenty of opportunity to hop over the lowest orbital and then heal up.
-
Beating Mantis Lords can be fun but the reward is really just eh to me. Mark of Pride is alright but 3 notches is a lot when you get most of the same effect from Longnail for only two notches.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For what its worth I found the run to Soul Master to be the worst one in the entire game. It was really the only time I got frustrated with repeated deaths outside of that one area (you know the one).

Souls Sanctum has the most annoying enemies.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Soul Master only really has two projectile attacks though, that I remember. One is a really lazy low-tracking lob at you that you can just walk around, and the other is him slowly flying across the room while his projectiles orbit him. And that second one is just a huge window to heal if you need it since he'll always go the full length of the room, so there's plenty of opportunity to hop over the lowest orbital and then heal up.
-
Beating Mantis Lords can be fun but the reward is really just eh to me. Mark of Pride is alright but 3 notches is a lot when you get most of the same effect from Longnail for only two notches.

That's why you stack them :getin:.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dancer posted:

There's diminishing returns so stacking them isn't that great unfortunately. I still like Mark of pride better though. In builds where I'd use it, I usually don't need that extra notch slot to get everything I want. Mark of Pride is also nice for nail bouncing segments, gives you a bit more reach.

Too bad you cant use mark to extend Grubberfly charm beams, that would be really nice.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dancer posted:

Sadly, they have diminishing returns.

Meanwhile, the upgrade to Vengeful Spirit + Shaman Stone + Spell Twister is great and carried me through the midgame since it sweeps corridors. Sometimes added on Dream Wielder to get Soul back faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
I'm not particularly talented at these games myself, and Soul Master was also the point for me where it felt like the game got a lot less forgiving about trying to hit the boss without putting much effort into dodging their attacks. It's what prompted me to try playing more cautiously and pay more attention. It might help to just learn their attacks and how to dodge them at first, before long you should get a feel when it's safe to whack them with your nail, and when it's time to start dodging again.

bewilderment posted:

I think you can also access Crystal Peak by using the toll machine that can only be accessed if you have the lantern, to open a gate.