Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
2 chicken dinners 1 day. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Just got my first chicken dinner in style by thelma and louising a car through a four way gunfight on the edge of a cliff, then hugging the shoreline while the circles closed in on me and the sole survivor of the four way and in good old goon style clubbing the guy across the back of the head with a frying pan then finishing off with the AKM.

:getin:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
For the first person mode will the bullets still properly come out of the gun or will it shift to stupid bullets emitted from eyes?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

love this poo poo

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

ilmucche posted:

For the first person mode will the bullets still properly come out of the gun or will it shift to stupid bullets emitted from eyes?

Hit V and see for yourself now?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I hope they improve the sound direction, find it really difficult to tell if something is infront or behind me.

Getting better at my speed and aggression, way more fun than camping around, even if I die more at the moment.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Speed is good.

Getting the drop on someone is better.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

I hope they improve the sound direction, find it really difficult to tell if something is infront or behind me.

Getting better at my speed and aggression, way more fun than camping around, even if I die more at the moment.

Try wiggling your camera as you hear the noise. The sound direction is pretty much already good.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

https://streamable.com/wwo5z

You have to double check your positioning in 3p if you're not barrel blocked.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This game makes me paranoid as gently caress. I'm shooting at a guy that's running laterally at maybe 50m, hit like 7-8 times with an M16A4 (according to blood splatter) and he doesn't go down. Meanwhile in another round, I'm by a stroke of luck kitted out in level 3 helmet and vest, that face mask thingy and a loving pan, and I go down in three shots, also with an M16A4, at similar distance judging sounds, while prone. These situations are infuriating. :(

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Meanwhile in DayZ, 4 years after early access release

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Trabisnikof posted:

Try wiggling your camera as you hear the noise. The sound direction is pretty much already good.

Your response to hearing a shot should immediately be to use alt and locate it. A kar will echo long enough to easily find it, otherwise you'll be able to hear a general area for any AR.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I love that thudding sniper rifle sound in the distance. I just bee-line to it so I can kill them and take their gun. There are not a lot of people who can hit you if you're zigzagging and mashing crouch.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
did they reset the wardrobes or something or did my game mega glitch

e: restarted game & now my things are back. Thanks obama

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
2nd solo chicken dinner!

After landing in the farmlands south of Gatka and finding basically nothing. I started picking up table scraps from two guys who had landed ahead of me. Killed them, then gunned another down in the middle of the field who was driving to the millitary base (the circle ended there) in a UAZ.
I crossed the bridge and then had my greatest foe of all "can't enter buildings lag" I thought I was done for. I almost quit because I couldn't even approach buildings without extreme rubberbanding. I killed a guy in a house but couldn't get in to loot his body :(
So I just pressed on to the base and killed a couple other guys and got a VSS. I love this thing once the circle has shrunk (like 4 or 5 circles from end).
Killed a couple more with the VSS. Then sprinted to the NW corner of the military base and killed a few more in a building (lag finally quit). Then there was one left. Unfortunately for him he had been on that huge radar scaffolding and tried to make it into the final circle but died lol.

I went from lovely loot to lag monster to chicken dinner, what a rush!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Am I crazy or are the US servers extra lovely today? I switched to AS today and I haven't looked back. SO much less stuttering and general lag there.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Am I crazy or are the US servers extra lovely today? I switched to AS today and I haven't looked back. SO much less stuttering and general lag there.

It's been on and off crazy bad the last couple of days for me.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Zero Gravitas posted:

EU goons add 0gravitas to their steam friends list. Getting a bit lonely against pubs all day.

get in discord then

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The servers always suck on the weekends.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

you're one to talk

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Heliosicle posted:

Personally I'm actually of the opinion that there's something a little off in the sound engine but just for the purpose of :science::science::science: not being able to figure out if a sound comes from your front or from your rear is a lovely feature of the human anatomy, it's called 'rear-front ambiguity' and is largely caused by the fact that there's no intra-aural difference when sounds arrives from the rear or from the front (as opposed to when it comes from one of the sides where it will sound very different in the opposite ear).

You resolve this ambiguity in the game the same way you do in real life, which is as others said: by moving your head around. (most animals that rely heavily on their hearing have the ability to individually control their pinnas, which probably helps a lot).

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

God bless frying pans and the SPANG noise they make when saving your arse cheeks from taking a bullet

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
https://clips.twitch.tv/YawningTriangularWheelPartyTime

Watch the boatman very carefully, you might miss it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Personally I'm actually of the opinion that there's something a little off in the sound engine but just for the purpose of :science::science::science: not being able to figure out if a sound comes from your front or from your rear is a lovely feature of the human anatomy, it's called 'rear-front ambiguity' and is largely caused by the fact that there's no intra-aural difference when sounds arrives from the rear or from the front (as opposed to when it comes from one of the sides where it will sound very different in the opposite ear).
Actually, if the played noises are familiar to you, the attenuation of upper parts of the frequency band from sound hitting the back of your ears will actually give you a clue. Binaural recordings and decent HRTF models actually let you identify sounds in front or behind you.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

No idea how we got it up there. Spidercar!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Zero Gravitas posted:

God bless frying pans and the SPANG noise they make when saving your arse cheeks from taking a bullet

Someone tried to finish me yesterday while I was knocked out and dumped half their mag into my frying pan. They still finished me, but the pan bought me another (futile) second or two.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You resolve this ambiguity in the game the same way you do in real life, which is as others said: by moving your head around. (most animals that rely heavily on their hearing have the ability to individually control their pinnas, which probably helps a lot).

I feel like the sound engine walks a decent line between giving you a reasonably accurate idea where people are without being too good either. I'd say it is borderline too easy to pinpoint people off of sound alone. Close to midrange is more about hearing people and pre-aiming than anything visual.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 25, 2017

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm sure death cams will eventually be added to the game but I wish they would add some type of indication of who and where the person was when they killed you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

"who" is listed in the kill feed in the bottom left, even for knockouts

I kind of hope they don't add death recaps, or if they do, it doesn't give you any hint where you were murdered from. I could maaaaybe see it work in solo queues.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm sure death cams will eventually be added to the game but I wish they would add some type of indication of who and where the person was when they killed you.

They are adding replays, so you will be able to watch entire matches and exactly what everyone is doing when you died.

The sniping is going to be one of the big things I am looking forward to seeing. I have trouble figuring out where the sound is coming from.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just picked up the game. No idea what I'm doing but who the gently caress cares

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Took me 37 matches but I finally got to 2000 rating on NA and the matches are getting nightmarish. Everyone is pretty good at headshotting and it's really hard to get to a starting place that is not incredibly dangerous. It's like every single spot in the map is guaranteed to have 2-3 other people in it who are on the lookout to kill you. Keeps you super on edge. A lot of the cheeses I knew don't work anymore.

In other words I can't kill poo poo.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Shoutout to Gildiss, xachariah, and oovee to two perfect games and chicken dinners in a row. Both games ended with 3 alive

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Elentor posted:

Took me 37 matches but I finally got to 2000 rating on NA and the matches are getting nightmarish. Everyone is pretty good at headshotting and it's really hard to get to a starting place that is not incredibly dangerous. It's like every single spot in the map is guaranteed to have 2-3 other people in it who are on the lookout to kill you. Keeps you super on edge. A lot of the cheeses I knew don't work anymore.

In other words I can't kill poo poo.

Which ratings matches you with harder opponents if it is lower? Just your overall Rating?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chopstix posted:

Shoutout to Gildiss, xachariah, and oovee to two perfect games and chicken dinners in a row. Both games ended with 3 alive

That lucky Dacia.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hamelekim posted:

Which ratings matches you with harder opponents if it is lower? Just your overall Rating?

I think the overall rating. It certainly isn't the Kill Rating. I'm also pretty sure that the amount of points you gain is offset by the average MMR of the match (just like every other game). I won 20 points in a 11/91 game and 7 points in a 11/100 game immediately after. Because I'm a huge nerd I have a table of all the 37 matches if you're interested.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Elentor posted:

I think the overall rating. It certainly isn't the Kill Rating. I'm also pretty sure that the amount of points you gain is offset by the average MMR of the match (just like every other game). I won 20 points in a 11/91 game and 7 points in a 11/100 game immediately after. Because I'm a huge nerd I have a table of all the 37 matches if you're interested.

There is also your server ranking which differs from your rating. If it is rating, I'm under 2000, but I'm almost 4000 for server ranking.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
this guy lived through 2 shots to the body with the m24. I was about to flip the gently caress out but then I killed him just before the circle hit me. Added him afterwards and apparently his energy regen ticked just before I hit him the second time

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Played two rounds.

Round 1: Entered a house, found some smoke grenades, got shot by a shotgun.

Round 2: Landed on the outer edge of the map. Spent the entire time sprinting toward the rapidly shrinking circle and collecting weapons and supplies along the way, before finally dying in 21st place to a guy with SCAR-L I never saw.

Unfortunately the game is incredibly laggy for me. Along with network problems, I can barely maintain a consistent frame rate. I don't think I'd ever win an actual gunfight.

• Locked thread